Menu

What's the weirdest coincidence you or your dh have ever experienced?

rose

I was just remembering a weird coincidence that happened to us awhile ago. My dh was on an airplane flying from one major US airport to another major US airport. He was sitting next to a woman and started to chit chat with her. He asked her where she lived and she said she lived in northern BC. He was surprised and said that he also lived in northern BC and asked her what town. She said that she lived in our town. This was quite surprising as our town has population of less than 2000 people. Upon further discussion he realised that she actually lived about 1 mile from our house and she realised that she had seen me my children walking around the neighbourhood! How weird is that?!

So I got wondering, what are your strangest coincidences?

• Like 11

Mine was recent. My mommy bracelet, given to me by my older sister at my baby shower, broke a few weeks back while I was at work. Her BFF made it. I was trying to get in touch with her BFF to see if she could restring it for me, but her father had died recently so when I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t hear back I just figured IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d wait and eventually get it restrung somewhere near me in PA. I couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t just bring it to her since sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s in TX. I put the envelope with the beads in my purse. A few days later after a dentist appointment in another town, I went into the nearby Apple store to get my phone fixed, and there was the BFF coming out of the same store I was entering.

My bracelet has been fixed and returned to me.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

My DD met a young woman on a plane from Chicago to London.

It turned out that she had ridden at the same stable as DD, as small facility with 10 or so horses ten miles from our small (20k) rural town in another state (not IL)

And DH ran into colleagues from our department at a Walmart 700 miles away from our town.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I have two. 

I lived in South America for a bit in college, meeting plenty of people from all over the globe. Fast forward 5 years, at the beginning of a business trip in the airport in Dallas, TX, I ran into someone (from Canada) that I had met in South America. 

Some friends of DH's and mine from high school college have lived in Asia for nearly 10 years. DH and I now live in a different state than where we grew up/went to college. Just this week I met someone in my current hometown who is from another different state. Turns out she lived in Asia, with the same sending program as our friends and has met them before. 

• Like 1

After the birth of our second child I was moved into a different room and my new nurse walked in. She immediately recognized my husband from high school. No, this hospital was not in the same town or state where he grew up.

I cried and begged for a new nurse because I felt so awkward. It was embarrassing.

When my son hurt his foot and needed stitches (at 18 months) we went to the nearest ER. The nurse was the woman who had sold me my wedding dress years earlier. She had become a nurse and she remembered me. It was weird. It was the same town but it was funny to see her there in that moment.

My favorite was when we moved to San antonio for my husbandĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s job. We were visiting churches each weekend. At one church we were in the Sunday school class and they were doing prayer requests. One man spoke up that he was on paternity leave from his job but while on leave had been job hunting because he wanted to find a new job. He asked for prayer because he had not told his boss and he knew that a new manager had just come to town so he had not met him so he was nervous about the conversation that he would be quitting. I looked over at my husband and whispered, Ă¢â‚¬Å“He just told his boss didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t he?Ă¢â‚¬ My hubby just nodded. While listening to the guy talk my husband had figured out it was the employee he had not met yet due to him being on paternity leave. I said told my hubby that this guys prayer had already been answered. Lol! God works fast sometimes! We ended up finding a different church. That was a super awkward moment. Ever since then I do not ever have a prayer request at church. Lol! You never know whoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s listening.

• Like 7

I moved to the Austin, Texas, area from the San Jose, California, area. I am a hula dancer.

So I was dancing with my group at a high school graduation party at a family home in on the outskirts of an itty bitty town south of me.  In my dance group, I was the only haole (non-Hawaiian), and it's quite obvious. :-) So one of the family members asked me where I was from, and I said San Jose. He asked what part, and I said Blossom Valley. He said (pointing to someone across the room), she used to live on Cohasset (a street around the corner from where I lived in San Jose). I said Oh, I used to live on Herlong. And he pointed to another woman and said, *SHE* used to live on Herlong! Herlong had a dog-leg curve at one end, and I said that we had often wondered about cars making a right turn there, and that one time we saw that a car had been hit by someone who apparently couldn't make the turn, and she said, That was OUR car!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :-)

• Like 4

Dh and one of my brothers are the same age. When we were dating we discovered that they went to the same school in middle school and even shared a close friend but didn't actually know each other. At our reception we realized my brother had been friends with dh's cousin in highschool.

• Like 2

DH and I grew up about 20 miles apart.  We met through mutual friends on a blind date.  After we had been dating a while and getting to know each other we figured out that we had both been on our school's knowledge bowl teams.  I recalled one time when we were at his high school for a meet and the power had gone out and that someone had suggested we play under the emergency lights in the hall.  I found out that was him who had made the suggestion.  We have since figured out that we attended a lot of the same meetings and conferences at the same time but just never met.

• Like 3

I just remembered another one.  When DH and I were going through infertility I was on a few message support groups.  On one of them I met a lady who had lived in our area, and she figured out that she had been DH's English teacher in high school.  I think that one made DH a bit uncomfortable.

• Like 2

we've had something similar a couple times.

ran into dh's childhood bff when we were both in a different state from where we both lived. (we were both walking across a city block - towards each other.)

and another time we were in a denny's in blue springs MO to have breakfast and there were friends who live a mile from us in WA - eating breakfast with their son.

eta: clarification.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I think my strangest coincidences were moments of intuition.  Dreaming about a plane crash, and that one from Malaysia went missing the next day.  Dreaming about terrorism and planes, and waking up to watch 9/11 happen on morning news about an hour later.  Dreaming about a relative dying, and finding out they died 36 hours later.  Telling DH to slow down because I thought there was a cop nearby, having him ignore me, and then get a speeding ticket. Knowing taking a certain set of foster children was a bad idea, taking them anyway out of guilt for not being able to identify why, and regretting it.

Oh, and DH and I...  our paths crossed many times, but we don't think we ever met before we officially did.  We get the sense that it was inevitable, and yet we didn't meet until we were ready for each other.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 5

oh, one more.  I was in the hospital for five days when 1dd was born.   I met some of the other women.    when 2dd was born, I met a woman who was visiting her friend who had just had a baby.   the visitor was one of the women I had met when 1dd was born.

• Like 1

A small private high school was trying to track down it's alumni from the class that would be celebrating their upcoming 10th and called me one day because my husband's name matched one of the people they were looking for.  My husband wasn't the person they were looking for but it turns out that the school that was calling was MY high school, looking for people from MY class and I was on their list of "missing" alumni since I had gotten married and they hadn't been able to locate me since my name had changed.  As far as the classmate, he had changed his last name late in our senior year so I never really thought of him by that name so it was extra funny to me to realize that I had married someone with the same name as a classmate.

ETA the high school was in a completely different city from where I grew up or the city I was living in when they called. And there was only 74 people in my high school class and I was now living in a city with 300,000 people

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 6

Once I was at a friend's house and e were listening to a CD while we did some homework - it was Liszt, and I had never heard it before, I didn't really even know who he was.  At a certain point I went "dum da da da da da" along with a section of music and it was exactly right - the right notes and rhythm.  It really freaked out my friend.

• Like 2

My grandma had one that I always found interesting.  She had lots of medical problems as a young child and couldn't walk until she was 4-5.  Her siblings would often take her to the park in a wagon (this was in the early 1920's in a tiny town) but would run off to play somewhere else and forget her there.  There was a slightly older boy (about 10) who lived near by and would find her sitting in the park and would pull her wagon back home.  

Fast forward 50+ years and she had to go to the Mayo clinic in the next state over.  Her doctor turned out to be the same boy who would bring her home from the park in that tiny town.  He still recognized her.

• Like 32

We moved to Florida in 2006.  Our first night there we went to dinner and our waitress was not only from my hometown she was also good friends with my uncle.  Recently I saw this really cool truck (unique, one of a kind) in the walmart parking lot (here in TN) I knew my dad would think it was cool so I sent him a picture (he's in Indiana). He texted me back "yeah, it's so-and-so's truck, just saw him last week".  ?!!  Of course my family IS well known in our part of Indiana (hell raisers and bible thumpers often are) but still.

• Like 2

My grandma had one that I always found interesting.  She had lots of medical problems as a young child and couldn't walk until she was 4-5.  Her siblings would often take her to the park in a wagon (this was in the early 1920's in a tiny town) but would run off to play somewhere else and forget her there.  There was a slightly older boy (about 10) who lived near by and would find her sitting in the park and would pull her wagon back home.  

Fast forward 50+ years and she had to go to the Mayo clinic in the next state over.  Her doctor turned out to be the same boy who would bring her home from the park in that tiny town.  He still recognized her.

We have a winner!

• Like 7

There was a family at church that had the same first names as my husband and I (both of us) and once my husband was talking to the other husband  about a recent trip to visit family in FL.  

My husband: Where did you go in FL?

him: oh, southern part

My husband: what part of S. FL?

him:  Names city

my husband: we were just there!

Him: my wife's parents live there

my husband: my wife's brother lives there

It turns out we were there the same week and probably about a couple miles away from each other, all without knowing before that about both having family there.

We had kids after they did and we joked we were going to name them the same to be funny. =)

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 2

The day after dd11 was born, an anesthesiologist walked into my hospital room with a questionnaire.  I told him that I hadn't had an epidural.  He started flipping through papers on his clipboard to figure out where the mistake was.

Apparently another woman with the same last name had given birth to a baby girl in the exact same room later on the same day.

:scared:  :scared:  :scared:

I never met the other mom or baby.  Thankfully, an id bracelet was put on dd11's arm immediately after her birth, before she left my sight, so we are sure that we have the right child.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

Another one:

During college, I was in a meeting with my roommate and some of her friends.  A certain date was mentioned, and as I quietly said, "That's my birthday", one of my roommate's friends said the same thing.  We checked years and realized that we had been born on the exact same day.  :)

• Like 2

I was flying cross country with three exhausted kids four and under. We had a layover in MN. 

I ran into one of my mom's closest friends. I was best friends with her daughter until 5th grade.

She helped us out in the airport so that I could handle all the kids' needs. :-)

Another time, I ran into a high school friend in Heathrow.

Emily

• Like 4

The corpsman that was my postpartum nurse/cna happened to be the husband of the sister of a good friend of mine from high school.

We were at a Navy base almost 10 years after I had graduated high school in an entirely different state.

Kind of awkward when we ran into each other later because he'd obviously seen me in various states of undress.

• Like 1

My sister was the worked at the local movie theater as a teen.This theater just happened to have a phone number only one digit different than our home number.  One day my Grandma miss dialed and got the theater and it was my sister who answered.  My grandmother was quite confused when my sister couldn't just hand the phone to my mom.

• Like 6

I have several (these are so fun to hear! Great thread!)--

(some are long, sorry)

1.  Dd was born with a midwife in a hospital in Dallas. My midwife was chatting with me during labor, and somehow we got to talking about my family (brothers, etc). I said my brother 

lived in Ohio, and it came out that his wife's dad was high up in a certain tire/rubber company. It turned out that my midwife's ex was also part of that company, had worked for my sister in law's dad in Paris! But the most poignant part was that, while they lived in Paris (and were together, so, years ago), my  midwife had had a miscarriage. She said she had always suspected that my sister in law's dad had been instrumental in her getting the very kind care she received while in the hospital there. She said it set her on the path to becoming a midwife. And, she had always wanted to thank him, but had never had the chance. I couldn't believe it--so cool. She ended up writing a letter and giving it to me to give to the man. 

2. A few years ago, my son had very little money, being a college student, but he wanted to buy something for his two siblings for Christmas. He asked if candy from the Dollar Store would be a good idea, and I said, Sure! So he walked down and bought them each something. When he came back, he called me into his room and showed me that he had been able to get some things, and then he showed me his change. I said something like, oh, good, you had enough money and you even got change. He said, NO, look at the change. He showed me 3 quarters. They were from the years 1991, 1989, and 2000. These are the birth years of his siblings and him! (Now, in my family, we call these coincidences God Winks, or God Sightings, so I did go on to say that I thought God was kinda honoring him with this coincidence for being unselfish and thinking of his sibs.)

There are more, but I'll let others go! lol

• Like 3

Ok, I thought of two more--just little ones--

My college roommate (randomly matched, and from another state) and I had the same name--Christine Ann. We ended up going by last names instead! lol

I was on sabbatical in Israel and visiting the Wailing Wall. I looked over at some people walking by and there was a woman in a skirt that I had (not on, but with me). I smiled, leaned over to her, shook my skirt, and said, "Dress Barn?" She cracked up and said YES! 

Best skirts ever!

• Like 1

After the birth of our second child I was moved into a different room and my new nurse walked in. She immediately recognized my husband from high school. No, this hospital was not in the same town or state where he grew up.

I cried and begged for a new nurse because I felt so awkward. It was embarrassing.

When my son hurt his foot and needed stitches (at 18 months) we went to the nearest ER. The nurse was the woman who had sold me my wedding dress years earlier. She had become a nurse and she remembered me. It was weird. It was the same town but it was funny to see her there in that moment.

My favorite was when we moved to San antonio for my husbandĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s job. We were visiting churches each weekend. At one church we were in the Sunday school class and they were doing prayer requests. One man spoke up that he was on paternity leave from his job but while on leave had been job hunting because he wanted to find a new job. He asked for prayer because he had not told his boss and he knew that a new manager had just come to town so he had not met him so he was nervous about the conversation that he would be quitting. I looked over at my husband and whispered, Ă¢â‚¬Å“He just told his boss didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t he?Ă¢â‚¬ My hubby just nodded. While listening to the guy talk my husband had figured out it was the employee he had not met yet due to him being on paternity leave. I said told my hubby that this guys prayer had already been answered. Lol! God works fast sometimes! We ended up finding a different church. That was a super awkward moment. Ever since then I do not ever have a prayer request at church. Lol! You never know whoĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s listening.

Omg about the childbirth part. My niece is in nursing school and doing clinics at the same hospital in the ob department. I am giving birth and she will still be there on my due date and I am praying she will not be a part of it. i just couldn't handle that. Way too private to have her there.

This didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t happen to me, but happened to a couple we are friends with:::

I live in a small town of about 4000. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s about 10 miles from a famous historic tourist town. The road that goes through my town, goes through a lot of fields before you hit town. The road is 45-55, but it drops down to 25 in town. The town had a problem with teenagers getting into fatal car accidents, because the teens would pull out onto the road in front of people who were speeding through at 45-55 because they were ignoring the drop in the speed limit.

The police started cracking down super, super hard on speeders and our little town got a reputation for being outrageously strict with the speed limit. When we moved here, just about everyone we met said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Watch your speed. You *will* get a ticket.Ă¢â‚¬

Our friends moved here, and everyone filled them in, too: donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t speed. YouĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get a ticket.

Less than a month after moving here, our friends went on a trip to Niagara Falls which is about 5 states away. They were in a restaurant and started chit chatting with the people at the table next to them. They told them, Ă¢â‚¬Å“We just moved near Famous Historic Town and live about 10 miles up the road in X town.Ă¢â‚¬

And the guy at the table burst out, Ă¢â‚¬Å“X town! I got a speeding ticket in X town!!Ă¢â‚¬

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

DS is in marching band in a local ps in Texas. Frequently after a game or competition, some of the other band members and their parents will go out to eat. We had 7 at our table that night, 4 parents and 3 kids. I commented about one of the parents wearing a CU baseball cap, since I grew up in Colorado. He commented he and his wife both grew up in CO, too. As we talked further, we discovered that his wife, who was sitting at the table with us, and I graduated from the same high school 2 years apart. It was strange to think that ds's friend's mom and I might have known each other in high school (35 years ago!) Of course, neither of us remembered the other.

• Like 1

When we visited the Grand Canyon several years ago, we got off the shuttle bus and walked about ten paces down the walkway, and ran into a friend of dh's from our little New England town.

The funny thing was both of the men were so low-key about it. They just nodded heads and said hi to each other and kept walking. They didn't even stop to talk! I couldn't believe it.

• Like 4

This doesn't really stack up to the Mayo Doctor story, but...

tonight, on the way home from the kids' martial arts class, I stopped at the grocery store. I noticed that they had a new gluten free item - fettuccine made with quinoa and amaranth - so I bought a box, thinking, "Later in the week, probably Alfredo but not our usual chicken..."

When we got home, DH had supper ready: Shrimp fettuccine Alfredo!

1. DH does not cook unless asked in advance, which he was not, and then mostly on weekends.

2. We haven't had fettuccine in ten years because our usual gf pasta options do not include that noodle.

3. We only have shrimp about once a year. (They do; I am allergic to shellfish.)

4. He didn't go to the same store and none of the menu items were advertised or on special.

Mind blowing, huh?

• Like 5

We lived in St Petersburg, FL and took an Anniversary trip to Niagara Falls.  While eating at a Chinese restaurant on a relatively back street (not the main thoroughfare as we were cheap) our next door neighbor saw us (and hubby saw her) through the window.  Neither of us knew the other was going to NF.  We didn't even see each other at all the popular attractions, but at a restaurant relatively few get to.

When living in PA - small rural area with a zip code population of about 8000 - we vacationed to Kauai and were visiting Kilauea Lighthouse on Kauai (hardly any tourists there at the time).  We signed the Guestbook and went out to look at the HUGE waves that were crashing against the shore (far more impressive than the lighthouse) when all of a sudden we heard our name being called out by an older man.  We thought maybe we had dropped something.  Nope.  Seems he and his wife were from the exact same area, just the other side of it.  We didn't know each other, but of about 10 - 20 people there at that time (of which my family was 5 of them), we were, both astonished that anyone else from the same zip code would be there within even the same week or month, much less the exact same time.

• Like 1

Not as amazing but I was chuckling today over a small coincidence.

I randomly decided to go check the mail. As I got halfway down the driveway, I look over and the neighbor is also walking down his drive. We're side by side, lol. A jogger is jogging down our street (seldom have joggers, busy 2-lane with no sidewalk). We three all converge upon the same point at the same time.

Slightly awkward. And funny.

• Like 1

In high school, I was really big in FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). I met lots of people at the different conferences. One of my penpals from FBLA lived in Wyoming. We wrote each other several times a year.

In college, one of my guy friends had a girlfriend who was transferring to our college (in Nebraska). We hit it off & decided to be roommates the next year when she transferred. Her ex-boyfriend, from her current college (in Kansas), knew me from when I visited her on a roadtrip with my guy friend. (Is that clear?)

Anyway, penpal from Wyoming was a counselor at a Boy Scout Camp somewhere (South Dakota? maybe) that summer of college. He was reading one of my letters when a fellow counselor saw my name & recognized it. My future college roommate's ex-boyfriend confirmed I was the same person he was thinking of when my FBLA penpal pulled out my senior picture. Small world.

I have another one that I thought of but forgot while I was typing up that one. Will see if I can remember it & post it later.

• Like 3

Ah, I remember!

DD#1 had a snuggly that was one of those Ty stuffed animals. She took it everywhere with her. One day when she was around 14 months old, she dropped it from a shopping cart in Walmart when I wasn't paying attention and it wasn't anywhere to be found when we went back to look a few minutes later. She was devastated.

A day or two later, a present from her godparents showed up at the front door. When she opened it, it was the exact Ty stuffed animal she'd lost (brand new). Her godparents were unaware of her having or losing this snuggly as they lived half the country away from us and hadn't seen her since her baptism. It was amazing.

• Like 8

Ok, I thought of two more--just little ones--

My college roommate (randomly matched, and from another state) and I had the same name--Christine Ann. We ended up going by last names instead! lol

I was on sabbatical in Israel and visiting the Wailing Wall. I looked over at some people walking by and there was a woman in a skirt that I had (not on, but with me). I smiled, leaned over to her, shook my skirt, and said, "Dress Barn?" She cracked up and said YES!

Best skirts ever!

Hey! We had a birthday thread for you yesterday but I don't think you were here. I just bumped it!

Happy Day After Your Birthday!

• Like 2

We were in Scottland and I asked a random person to take our picture.  After he asked me where I was from.  I told him Jersey.  He said he already knew that! LOL! (apparently I have an accent)  So I told him 148.  He was from 145.  And he attended two of the same three colleges I went to.  And he worked at Medical/Dental school hospital that my husband attended when I first met him. 

• Like 1

I grew up in a minuscule prairie state town. While living in London, I met a woman who knew it well. So surprised. But then it got even better. Upon further conversation, we sorted out that her grandmother was the second wife of one of my great uncles by marriage. His first wife had been my grandfather's sister. Her uncles and mine had been childhood playmates and her mother's wedding shower was the first one my mom had ever gotten to go to as a young teen.

• Like 1

My strangest:

My mom was Jim's secretary in New Jersey until she became pregnant with me. My dad's job transferred us to the West Coast shortly after I was born, which is where I grew up.

Twenty-five years later, I was living in Denver and got a new job. My new boss was the woman who had replaced my mom as Jim's secretary back in New Jersey.

• Like 3

Several years ago I was wondering if my grandma's best friend was still alive.  My grandma passed away a decade ago, so there was no further contact with her friend.  As I suspected, she has passed and I found her obituary.  Her obituary listed her maiden name.  The name is unusual and I recognized it as my grandma's grandma's maiden name.  (I've been working on the family genealogy.)  I did some digging and found out that my grandma and her best friend were related!

• Like 6

I think my strangest coincidences were moments of intuition.  Dreaming about a plane crash, and that one from Malaysia went missing the next day.  Dreaming about terrorism and planes, and waking up to watch 9/11 happen on morning news about an hour later.  Dreaming about a relative dying, and finding out they died 36 hours later.  Telling DH to slow down because I thought there was a cop nearby, having him ignore me, and then get a speeding ticket. Knowing taking a certain set of foster children was a bad idea, taking them anyway out of guilt for not being able to identify why, and regretting it.

Oh, and DH and I...  our paths crossed many times, but we don't think we ever met before we officially did.  We get the sense that it was inevitable, and yet we didn't meet until we were ready for each other.

Oh my, I have dreams of intuition too. I have only let a few people in on them and it freaks them out.  When you have these dreams, are they "different" than other dreams.  Do they feel more real, more vivid? 

• Like 1

One of my best friends here grew up with another good friend of mine from a state far from here.  They grew up together as Americans in a foreign country.  I knew one of them from up north and met the other one here years later.  We didn't make the connection until we realized we shared the contact on facebook.

• Like 2

One of my now-best friends... first she was a friend of DH, she was in his gaming group. One day she came over for a game and we started chatting she was wearing a tee shirt from the state university of my home state. I asked her if she had gone there, no, it was her boyfriend's shirt but oh... she's from the city there ... well South of the city.

"Oh really? I'm from South of the city! Which town?"

The same town. Blocks apart. She's a few years younger than me but her mom... dated my uncle ... nope, I'm not kidding.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Oh I remembered one. Dh worked at the tiny coffeeshop that my brother and I used to sit and play chess at. We went a lot so he likely served us at least once if not more often. My mom used to go there regularly as well during the same time period. I was in middle school and he was in highschool at the time.

There is a family friend we keep having odd coincidences with. My grandparents and this family were friends in IL. My grandparents moved when my dad was in middle school. My dad and a son from the family his age literally ran into each other at a small TN college years later. I became friends with a daughter my age from the family. She and I met by chance at a Chicago airport one summer. We both lived in TN at the time. She was on her way to Alaska and I was on my way to Alabama.

• Like 1

My son was in a homeschooling class with the grandson of my elementary school gym teacher. My home Ă¢â‚¬Å“townĂ¢â‚¬ is so tiny itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not on a lot of maps. My teacherĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s daughter and I were just chatting while the boys were in class and it turns out weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re from the same area. We both live about 5 hours away from there now. #smallworld

I also once ran into someone who recognized me as a high school cheerleader in a bathroom about 2000 miles away from home.

• Like 2