Menu

What's the weirdest coincidence you or your dh have ever experienced?

rose

While on a beach in Bermuda a few summers ago, I was chasing middle dd trying to spray her with sunscreen. Another lady, who I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know, joined me in chasing dd. She was telling dd that she needed to let me put the sunscreen on her. The lady turned out to be ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s health teacher. She didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t recognize dd at first until dd stopped running and came over to us.

Dd barely let me put any sunscreen on her and she ended up with sun poisoning and had to spend the next couple of days in the cabin of the cruise ship. The rest of us were red as lobsters, as it turns out, one bottle of sunscreen on that beach was not enough for the six of us.

• Like 1

When I was little we moved to a new town.  About a week after we moved in, another new family moved in across the street.  My parents went over to welcome them and discovered they already knew them!  The wife had babysat my dad when she was in junior high and he in elementary.  The husband had gone to college with my mom.  They had moved from another state, and we learned later that they had sold their house there to my parents' best friends.  

• Like 1

Fast forward 50+ years and she had to go to the Mayo clinic in the next state over.  Her doctor turned out to be the same boy who would bring her home from the park in that tiny town.  He still recognized her.

This one wins sweetest story.

I also once ran into someone who recognized me as a high school cheerleader in a bathroom about 2000 miles away from home.

I can't even stand it when high school peeps (that I haven't seen in eleventy years) recognize me here at home, lol. Especially when they're like, heyyyyy katilac! and I have no idea who they are. 

Anyway . . . My brother's two sons married a Casey and a Kaci, which is a little weirder than if it were a more common name. They are actually the only two people I know with that name. 

• Like 1

When I was 16, my stepfather was stationed in San Diego. We rented a house in El Cajon from a nice lady named Mrs. Melton. She invited me to go to church with her once, which I did, but it wasn't what I was looking for and I didn't go back.

Several years later, after moving to Virginia, then getting married and moving to Hawaii, then to Las Vegas, then getting a divorce and moving to San Diego, I met Mr. Ellie, who was of course not yet Mr. Ellie. :-) Mr. Ellie was a native of San Diego, and his mother still lived there. One Sunday after church we went to visit his mother at *her* church. We joined their potluck, and I was moving along the table filling my plate, and I looked up and saw...Mrs. Melton. I said, Mrs. Melton! It's me, Ellie! She recognized me, and I asked her what she was doing there (I'm sure she was thinking the same thing), and it turned out that Mr. Ellie had grown up at this church and had known Mrs. Melton his whole life. The time I went to church with her, he was probably leading the singing. :-)

Mrs. Melton attended my bridal shower; I opened her gift, and it was a doll that my mother had given me for Christmas when I was 12 yo. [insert long story about a summer spent in Washington and moving to Brooklyn and parental separation and divorce and whatnot] When my stepfather came home from his several-months-long cruise and found out we (mother, brothers, me) had left, he threw out a whole bunch of our stuff. Mrs. Melton said she had been walking down the street and saw our stuff strewn all over, and in the gutter was this doll. She had picked it up and kept it, not knowing if she'd ever see me again. ::lots of sweet tears:: And yes, I still have this doll. :-)

• Like 16

My oldest daughter has a fairly uncommon first name. 

I work in pharmacy and see names/dates of births of thousands of people each year.

I met a girl, who was born on exactly the same day, in the same town, with the same first name as my daughter. At first I thought maybe the parents overheard our daughter's name and borrowed it.  I had adapted the name of a girl I went to school with, and that is how I came up with the name so it wasn't on a TV show or other popular place to get names. The other mom had merged two family members names to come up with the name, and it was pre planned, so she didn't hear it from the hospital staff.  

Not the name but it it would be like 

I turned Mary Ann into Merrianne

She turned Mary and Ann into Merrianne

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

at dh's 20th high school reunion- one of his classmates looked really familiar. dh had been in school with this guy since elementary school. - he was one of my high school teachers.

- dsil . ..when we sent out their wedding invitations, one of dh's childhood friend's (there were a group of four of them who are still close.) called him up.  dsil's father is her first cousin.  they grew up and lived in different states.   we joked "it's a sign".

• Like 1

We moved to NC from Pasadena, CA in 2006.

I grew up in a country in Africa.

We have a Chinese child.

They have sons (no girls)

I say all of that because this is the family we met when we moved to NC and met them at church.

They moved from Pasadena, CA in 2006 (we met within months of moving here).

They lived 2 blocks from us in Pasadena and we never met.

They were missionaries to another country in Africa for many years.

They are a blended family of Chinese and caucasians.

We have sons (no girls)

It has been uncanny how our lives parallel.  We became instant friends and have spent the last 12 Thanksgivings with them!  It is a tradition that our kids have grown up with together and it isn't Thanksgiving for our kids or their kids if it doesn't include spending it together.

• Like 5

A few years after college I lived with my parents in my hometown for a year, taking prerequisites for a graduate degree and working various part-time jobs. One Saturday, I rolled out of bed and pulled on sweats to rake leaves for my folks. That afternoon my dad asked me to drop my grandmother off at church, and even though I still hadn't showered or changed, I figured I'd just settle her into her pew early and make a quick exit before anyone saw me.

But there was a wedding party taking pictures in the church garden, and naturally, my grandmother wanted to go see them. Given my appearance, I would've preferred to walk on by, but she didn't get out too much at 93 years old, and I wanted to humor her. So we rounded the corner and lo and behold, the happy couple was my high school boyfriend, with the woman he started dating before we broke up. Arranged around them was his whole family, who knew me well, and several high school friends.

My grandmother, who was hard of hearing by this time, announced loudly, "NOT VERY PRETTY, IS SHE?"

At that, I steered my dear, insufferable Nana to the church entrance and told her what had just happened. Possessed of a wicked sense of humor, she howled with laughter. It still cracks me up that the universe and my grandmother conspired to deliver my revenge--through no fault of my own, and despite my grubby sweats! 

Amy

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 13

When I brought DH to meet my extended family after knowing him for years we learned that he was my cousin's husband's college roommate! It was 10 or more years since they had been roommates. 

I also recently met a lady with a DD born the same day as my DS at the same hospital. They both had the same original due date, weighed the same at birth, and were the same length at birth. We were doing a well check, and both babies were the same height and weight again 3 months later. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 4

DH and I have been married 20 years.  Just within the past few years, we realized we both had chicken pox at exactly the same time.  Both of us remember watching the US hockey team beat the USSR during the 1980 Olympics while having chicken pox.

We also realized that the day that I was at Live Aid in Philadelphia in 1985, he was visiting London at the time and drove by the venue at Wembley Stadium during the concert.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

Here's another one.

When I was a freshman in college, I saw a guy eating lunch across the courtyard from me and thought, "He's tall, dark, and handsome. But there's no chance he's a strong Christian." (Being a devoted Christian, dating a non-Christian was out of the question for me.) I was at a secular college and had met almost everyone in the Christian fellowship, so I had no reason to believe he was a Christian.

Well, not only is he a strong Christian, we've been married now almost 15 years. It took 18 months from that sighting until we started dating.

Emily

• Like 4

So, when I was in kindergarten, a classmate tried to strangle me on the playground at recess with his shoelace. He was unsuccessful, obviously. I'll call him Bob (not his real name, there were no "Bob" kindergarteners in 1988).

At the time I lived in a small city in central Illinois. In 4th grade, we moved four hours away to a large metro area, where very few people had heard of the city we had moved from. A couple years later, my mom got a job at a company in the accounting department. I became familiar with the receptionist, because I had to call and check in every afternoon when I got home from school.

My mom and the receptionist were talking one day and mentioned the small city we were from. Receptionist said, "Oh! My daughter used to live there, and her son, Bob, is about your daughter's age." Yep, her grandson was the kid that tried to kill me years before. And of course, they had since moved to the same metro area, although on the other side of it.

Fortunately, I never had to cross paths with Bob.

• Like 1

I was doing a semester abroad in college at Monash University in Australia. I rarely wandered about the main campus, but that day I was walking across the green when coming toward me from the other direction was the lab assistant from my freshman biology class at my regular college in Maine. He recognized me too and was just as surprised. We had lunch and it turns out he'd just finished doing research on penguins was ready to begin writing up his data and as Monash was one of the closer universities to Antarctica he stopped there to work (and to warm up!).

• Like 1

Oh, I thought of another one.  

I met a woman here in North Carolina who also has a son with Asperger's.  We met in a group for parents with Aspie sons.  

She and I went to the SAME undergrad college in Seattle, WA.

And we went to the SAME graduate school in Los Angeles, CA.

And we both wore hats in our weddings that looked quite similar and are dresses weren't that different either.

Our schooling overlapped by only a year (I was a freshman when she was a senior, so our paths didn't cross.)

What are the odds?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

My parents are from a small town, and they almost always experience some kind of coincidence with people when they go on vacation--sometimes it's bumping into someone from the same town (often someone who had moved away). When we vacationed with them a couple of years ago, they looked up a church to attend Sunday AM, and they found out the pastor was a neighbor of one of my cousins.

My SIL and I swapped names when we married--she had my married name as her maiden name. In addition, she and my DH both have a similar hair coloring, both have the same kind of freckles (very distinct and head to toe), and they both act the same way when they are wound up and having fun. We joked for a while that they must actually be related (very unlikely). In addition, my SIL grew up in an area where my Dad's cousins lived (different state from where I grew up) and knew several of his relatives. She and my brother now live next to a park that my Dad would visit as a child when his family went to see his relatives.

On a more morbid note...

My DH was working a shift with a woman that he rarely worked with. I don't know what brought up the conversation, but she chatted him up about her husband's great-aunt. The great aunt had spent several months (up to a year, maybe) convinced that she was going to die soon. She was very calm about it, and she spent that time preparing her estate, doing things she wanted to do, etc. It apparently was a productive time for her, but the family was kind of rattled when she'd say things like, "Now, since this is my last Christmas..." Then this co-worker brought up how the woman had died in an accident at a traffic light, including information about the timing and location (another town we go to maybe once a year). Turns out, his co-worker was talking about the woman in an accident we had witnessed! The details were unmistakable.

We had always wondered what happened--my husband had rendered aid at the scene (which was not gory, thankfully). It was very heartening to hear that while it was a rather sobering and difficult event, the woman who lost her life was literally as ready as anybody could be. I still do wonder about the man who caused the accident--he was a young immigrant, and his sister was with him in the car. He was absolutely shattered at the scene, and it was definitely his fault. 

Oddly enough, the conversation came and went so quickly that my DH didn't even get to tell the co-worker that we had been there.

• Like 2

I have a couple.

When I was a kid, my mom bought an old set of My Bookhouse books at a thrift store.  I was the only one who ever read them, and I adored them.  She ended up with a second set after my dad's mother died--they were found in her basement or something.  When DD was little, I asked her for them but she wouldn't let me have or borrow them, and they were so expensive online that I couldn't manage to get a set.  

DH took a load of old deck wood to the local dump, and after he unloaded it he saw a box of old books on the ground nearby.  It must have been dropped off that day.  He casually looked through it, saw a set of books that was numbered, and decided that if all the numbers were in the box he would bring it home for me in case I might like it.  It was a complete set of My Bookhouse, in the same blue covers that I remembered!  And two bonus books from an extension of the series!  I actually cried when I got them, I was so thrilled.

And, I have a UPS lady here in Silicon Valley who is great.  She and I are always glad to see each other.

Even in Hawaii.

Yup, on my first trip to Hawaii since the 1980s, who should turn up next to me at the Polynesian Cultural Center but her?  Such a surprise!

• Like 4

In high school, I was really big in FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). I met lots of people at the different conferences. One of my penpals from FBLA lived in Wyoming. We wrote each other several times a year.

In college, one of my guy friends had a girlfriend who was transferring to our college (in Nebraska). We hit it off & decided to be roommates the next year when she transferred. Her ex-boyfriend, from her current college (in Kansas), knew me from when I visited her on a roadtrip with my guy friend. (Is that clear?)

Anyway, penpal from Wyoming was a counselor at a Boy Scout Camp somewhere (South Dakota? maybe) that summer of college. He was reading one of my letters when a fellow counselor saw my name & recognized it. My future college roommate's ex-boyfriend confirmed I was the same person he was thinking of when my FBLA penpal pulled out my senior picture. Small world.

I have another one that I thought of but forgot while I was typing up that one. Will see if I can remember it & post it later.

I have one very similar to this! When I was in K, at a tiny private school, in a relatively small town, I was friends with a girl named E Smith. She moved away, and aside from a phone call from her out of the blue in middle school, I lost touch with her entirely. 

Fast-forward to college, and I received a letter from her, also out of the blue. She was a cadet at West Point, doing well, dating a nice guy, etc. We didn't  keep in touch, but it was nice to hear from her. 

Fast-forward to later on in college. I was on a summer mission trip to NYC. I was paired with a girl from SC (I am from TX). The girl I was paired with took a weekend off to go to a concert with friends....up by West Point. She came back from the weekend telling me about her friend, E Smith. The girl I had known in Kindergarten. Talk about small world!

--------

On that same trip to NYC, when we were all first there doing orientation, the whole group of us went out to lunch at this funky little restaurant. Again, I'm from a small town in TX. Our waiter came by and was asking where we all were from, etc. When I said "Texas" he asked where. I gave the standard "I'm outside the state" answer and said "Houston." He said, "really? me too! What part of Houston?" and so I said the name of my town. He wasn't from the same town, but another little suburb just 10 or 15 mins from me, and neither of us could believe that here in NYC we'd met someone who'd heard of, let alone knew where, our two small towns were located. 

--------

DH and I went to the same middle school/junior high and high school (and started dating in high school). In the course of finding things out about each other, we discovered we'd been at the same exact concert once in junior high (which is maybe not so weird, considering we went to the same school anyway, and just never met, but it felt like a neat coincidence to us....). 

-------

I recently found out an on-line friend, who has a hyphenated last name is married to a guy from my same small TX town. Her last name is hyphenated, and I'd just never separated out her maiden name portion and married name portion, so even though I knew she'd lived in my state and in areas around my town, it had never dawned on me she could even possibly be related to *those* (Last Name)'s. She and I had a fun conversation sorting out all the people we know in common. 

------

On the childbirth thing.....not a huge coincidence, because, small town (but a different small town), but one of the nurses who attended my youngest son when he was born ended up being a lady from our church. I steadfastly refuse to believe she was in the delivery room when he was born, otherwise I'd never have been able to look her in the eye after that. (Even though she was on the team who got him from delivery room to nursery while waiting on NICU transfer to another hospital)

Another nurse from our church "just happened" to be walking the halls when my mom & sister arrived in the middle of the night, and "just happened" to be who they stopped to ask for directions to labor/delivery, my room, etc. That one was kind of cool. 

That's all I can think of right now.....these are fun to read, though!

• Like 1

Wow.

I have a friend from high school.   He has been married 3 times.  All to pretty much the same name.

Diane

Diane

Diana

Isn't that weird?

Yes, my cousin has been married 3 times...the first two were both Shannon.  We still identify them as Shannon number one and Shannon number 2.  They are good with it.  LOL....

• Like 1

I was dropping son off at preschool and when I went to get him out of the car he had somehow tightly wound string o. His finger. In mom panic I asked a near by custodian of the church to help. After all was okay i looked up to thank him And recognized him, he was one of my coleader from my jr high youth group. This was a Town a couple hours n of where that youth group was.

These things happen to me mostly when I'm playing games for some reason.

I was playing a trivia game with friends and I knew almost nothing about sports or old time actors. The question showed a picture and asked who was standing next to Marilyn Monroe. Suddenly the lyric from Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs Robinson" starting singing in my head "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you". Yep, it was Joe DiMaggio.

Once during Taboo, a game where you try to get the other players to say a certain word, my sister was up. She read the card and I immeadiatly blurted out the answer. No words, looks, or gestures were exchanged.

I was in a high school history class and we we were playing Trival Pursuit, boys vs girls. It was a close and heated game. The game was tied and the very last question was for the girls. If we got it we would win. Our teacher looked at the question and said "Oh you aren't going to get this one," then he read the question - " What is the capital of Nepal? " A week before then I had watched the Disney movie "Night Train to Katmandu" with my family. Everyone was floored when I gave the winning answer and all the girls cheered.

As a preteen I had a friend obsessed with names. She would not date guys with a few specific names and always said she really wanted to date a guy named Adam. It was weird but I humored her and said if like to date a guy with either this name or that name. I didn't put any actual thought into it, just picked 2 random names because she asked me to. Ten years later, I start dating dh whose first and middle name are those names. I only remember the names because she mentioned them all the time for the next 2 years of our friendship. I always laughed about in my head when she did.

• Like 3

When I had only one kid, I met a mom at a playgroup who also had one kid.  We got together for a play date and in the course of conversation, we discovered that I shared her child's birth date and she shared my child's birth day.  Freaky!  I actually went and got out our passports because I didn't want her to think I was some kind of nutcase who made up elaborate lies to win friends.  :-)

• Like 1

During high school I moved from one state to another (not adjacent) and I went to college in my new state as well. One of my new college friends, Jen (from yet another state), had met, online, a guy going to school in another part of the country. She was wondering if she should invite him to visit in person... but what if he was an axe murderer?

She told us his name was Bob _______________ and he was from [the state I'd moved from]. What town? Oh, the one I'd lived in for seven years, where one of my friends was Kristen _______________ -- his little sister.

We decided to have fun during Jen's next chat with him. How was his sister (whom he hadn't told her much about)--still wearing glasses? Yes, she was. And how was their dog?--um, fine? And how about his mom--still doing stained glass artwork? And now he was going, How on Earth would you know that??

I affirmed that Bob was not known to be an axe murderer, although I hadn't been especially impressed by him back when I'd been to his house to play with Kristen. Jen did invite him to visit and wasn't into him either, and that was the end of that.

• Like 2

I grew up in PA and my oldest sister and I attended a very small, private, liberal arts college in this teeny, tiny town in PA.  There were maybe 1000 students at the college we attended.

Fast forward 25 years.  DH and I now live in TN.  We are adopting our DD from one of the Baltic countries.  DH and DD had to go to the US Embassy in her home country for paperwork, and she wore one of my college sweatshirts for the appointment.  In the waiting room was a graduate from our small liberal arts college in PA who knew my sister.

• Like 3

DH and I backpacked for our honeymoon in a pretty isolated spot several states from home.

DH planned meticulously. Our water filter had been tested and we had backup parts just in case.

Day one a part of the water filter that should never fail...failed. We switched to boiling.

On the whole trip we encountered only a handful of people in total.

The day after the filter failed we ran in to the guy that *sold us our water filter*. He confirmed it was a freak problem and knew that the solution was to keep trying it and it would eventually work. It did.

Finest customer service *ever*!

• Like 2

I have lots of coincidence stories. This is just a little one.

My mom had an uncommon name that peaked about a decade before she was born. It became even less and less common as the years went on.

We named my DD after her and we have never met another girl anywhere close to her age with the name, that's how uncommon it has become.

We were on the road once and DD needed to use the restroom. We stopped at a rest area and since she had to go so badly, I told her to run ahead. I was close behind her but I still called out her name as I walked into the 2 stall bathroom.

It was so funny to hear DD and the other person in the other stall say, "yeah?" :lol:

It was an older woman and she was tickled to meet a little girl with her name.

• Like 2

After graduating college, I hung around the Boston area for a year.  I did several interviews. After the blizzard of '78, I returned to So. Cal.  A year, or so later, I was taking some out of town friends to Disneyland.  I heard someone shout out my name.  Turned around, and it was one of the interviewers vacationing with his family.  I was more surprised that he remembered my name after an hour interview (only time I ever met him), a couple of years later. Guess I was either really close to a job offer or unforgettably unqualified. 

My grandma had one that I always found interesting.  She had lots of medical problems as a young child and couldn't walk until she was 4-5.  Her siblings would often take her to the park in a wagon (this was in the early 1920's in a tiny town) but would run off to play somewhere else and forget her there.  There was a slightly older boy (about 10) who lived near by and would find her sitting in the park and would pull her wagon back home.  

Fast forward 50+ years and she had to go to the Mayo clinic in the next state over.  Her doctor turned out to be the same boy who would bring her home from the park in that tiny town.  He still recognized her.

Oh, my. This is so sweet. How wonderful to think he had that compassion so early and grew up to help heal people.  :001_wub:

• Like 1

This past Christmas we were at my sisterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s house when a helicopter landed in her neighborhood. (This was a medical call related to a house fire. Very sad story.) :(

A couple hours later, we were back home, and we heard a helicopter landing right next to our house, in the neighborĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s yard. I thought Ă¢â‚¬Å“oh no, not again!Ă¢â‚¬ This time it was someone getting helicopter rides as their Christmas present. :)

• Like 2

Here's another one.

When I was a freshman in college, I saw a guy eating lunch across the courtyard from me and thought, "He's tall, dark, and handsome. But there's no chance he's a strong Christian." (Being a devoted Christian, dating a non-Christian was out of the question for me.) I was at a secular college and had met almost everyone in the Christian fellowship, so I had no reason to believe he was a Christian.

Well, not only is he a strong Christian, we've been married now almost 15 years. It took 18 months from that sighting until we started dating.

Emily

^^^^    :001_wub:   ^^^^^

Story 1:

I was going to be introduced to a guy at a high school football game. His brother played on the team and I was a teacher at the school. I was so nervous, that I had friends drive my car to the game! (It was an away game.) As we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a super cute guy standing by his car shirtless.  :svengo:  He was changing his shirt. Sure, I was going to be introduced to someone, but that didn't mean I couldn't appreciate the fine physique of this shirtless man as I rode by., 

You guessed it. That shirtless man was the guy I was introduced to! I didn't tell him I was drooling over him in the parking lot. Well, not until we'd married for a few years.  :thumbup:

Story #2:

Not as cool as the Maine-Australia story above (or any of the stories on this thread), but I went to college in VA. I dated a boy from NY. On a visit to NY, we went to see a Mets game. I saw a guy from college at Shea Stadium. So not only were we both there at the same game, but we were outside the bathrooms on the same level at the same time. Weird. 

Story #3: A silly one

I see a car at a local store where I shop that is the same:

make

model*

color

year (guessing b/c they look exactly the same)

as the car I drive

Also, she always does what I do when I park:

backs in or pulls through the parking space**

parks in a certain section of the parking lot

puts up a sunshade during the summer

What's more? 

She likes to dance. Her personalized license plate says so. I love to dance! 

One day I met her and pointed out my car, with sunshade in place, parked near hers. I told her I dance too. We laughed at being twins. Turns out she works there.

*DH says if it's the same model, it HAS to be the same make, but I like making this list as long as possible, lol.

** The theory is: its safer.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

I grew up in FL and went to college in OH.  I have one cousin in OH - actually the only cousin in my family I was familiar with.  On my first date with DH, I mentioned my cousin for some reason and it turned out he graduated from high school with her!  They were in the same graduating class at the same school!  What are the odds?  

• Like 3

Most of my coincidences have been along the lines of thinking about an old friend and suddenly that friend calls or contacts me in some way. Or vice versa where I called an old friend who said she (usually it was a she) was just thinking of me.

One year while in college my friends and I decided to go to Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale - Daytona Beach was too close to home and didn't feel "exotic" enough to us. We thought we'd meet new people but kept running into people we either knew from Florida State U. or from home. I don't know if that counts as coincidence or just our bad luck. ;)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Oh these are fun.  I just remembered another one.

My best friend and I had 'boyfriends' in high school.  Lets say her bf's bd was March 1st and my bf's bd was June 15.  Her second/current husband's bd is March 1st and my second/current husband's bd is June 15.

• Like 2