Menu

What temperature do you set your thermostat to during the winter?

Terabith

DH and I have compromised on 72.  He would prefer 77, I would prefer 67.  He and 2 of our kids have no body fat; I have a fair layer of insulation.  I used to be miffed about it but I realized that he (and the skinnier kids) are really cold at 67, and it is miserable to be cold all day just to save a few hundred bucks a year - I spend a lot more than that getting the brand of bread I like, for instance.  It would be like if I lived with someone who insisted on keeping the thermostat at 60 - just not fun.

• Like 5

72 during the day (73 if husband is away,) and 69 at night. I've already forgotten the summer settings, but I think it's 78 during the day, 75 at night. We live in a split level, and our thermostat and bedrooms are on the top floor, so our lower floor is always about 5-8 degrees cooler. 

We keep the thermostat set to 66, but the upstairs gets a lot warmer than that when the heat is on.  It's a radiator system, and the hot water tank is fed from the same boiler.  If we leave the valves connecting the boiler to the radiators open, the pump will circulate hot water even when it's above the thermostat temperature.  When the weather is in the 60s during the day, I usually turn off the heat at the valves first thing in the morning and open them up again right before bed.

We keep it around 60 day and night during the winter. At long as Iï¸ am moving around I’m comfortable. Iï¸ do wear a hat often and wool sweaters and long underwear under my pant but Iï¸ would need that when Iï¸ went out anyway so Iï¸ might as well just put it on in the morning. When I have to sit for a while Iï¸ drink tea to stay warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My thermostat is completely inaccurate, so I have no real idea.  When the weather hovers in the 30s-50s, setting it to 65 can be way too much in the middle of the day.  When it dips into the single digits, pushing it all the way to 80 isn't always enough.

Baseboard electric heat in a contemporary design is the dumbest thing ever.

There are sweatshirts and blankets strewn all over my house because I'm freezing one minute and sweating the next.

Edited by Carrie12345

72. This is where DH and I have settled since we are complete opposites. He would prefer cooler, I would prefer warmer. Even fully dressed in warm clothes I feel cold a lot of the time and often use a blanket. We use a space heater in the basement if it gets cold in our school room. I think it's set to 66 at night. I do prefer cooler at night and would probably like it lower than that; I might have to change it. The hard part about a night setting for us is I stay up rather late and DH wakes up quite early. So there's less than 5 hours that our house is fully at rest. Maybe that's how I could get myself to bed earlier, change the night setting to start earlier and I'll get cold and go to bed to get under my blankets! 

18 degrees C (64F) to 20 (68) depending on how efficient it is and how tired I am. But I only have heating on from 7 to 8 AM and 6 PM to bedtime and only in the lounge. We never run it overnight except when ds10 was a baby and the house we were in must have got below freezing at night. I do occasionally put a heater in the colder bedroom for an hour or two though and the main bedroom opens off the lounge.

Eta. But although we get heavy frosts we don't get snow.

Edited by kiwik

I still don't quite understand the science behind the fact that, for instance, my cousin's house can feel freezing to me with the thermostat set to 72, and we're sweating in my house at that temperature. (Smaller house? Lower ceilings? But isn't 72 degrees 72 degrees?)

I like to start out winter at 69 degrees and then gradually turn the thermostat down as our bodies adjust over the course of the winter. We're at 66 now. I really think it helps me and the kids to be more comfortable outside when the indoor temperatures aren't too high. If anybody gets too cold, though, I see that as a wonderful excuse for a baking project since our house is small and the oven really warms it up. And hot cocoa. And adding a little body fat in the winter months through baking projects and hot cocoa.

Edited by fralala
  • Like 1

DH and I have compromised on 72.  He would prefer 77, I would prefer 67.  He and 2 of our kids have no body fat; I have a fair layer of insulation.  I used to be miffed about it but I realized that he (and the skinnier kids) are really cold at 67, and it is miserable to be cold all day just to save a few hundred bucks a year - I spend a lot more than that getting the brand of bread I like, for instance.  It would be like if I lived with someone who insisted on keeping the thermostat at 60 - just not fun.

I agree that it's miserable to be cold all day, but IME and IMO it's even worse to be hot. One can put on more clothes or cover up with a blanket to get warmer. If you're miserably hot there's little to nothing you can do (well, maybe during the winter you can go stand outside. BTDT many times).

And FWIW -- I'm by FAR the smallest, skinniest person in this house. DH outweighs me by almost 100 pounds, and our smallest (now adult) son outweighs me by 40 pounds. And I also run the hottest by far. I used to run the coldest by far. That's what peri-menopause will do for you, ;) And I"m telling you -- being hot is much worse than being cold.

All that to say -- don't totally discount your own comfort for the sake of theirs.

• Like 3

I keep it at 66. If it is really freezing outside I may go as high as 68.  Most of the winter is spent around 67.   I find anything higher then 68 feels too warm and stifling.  I always know how cold it is outside based on the temperature of our upstairs.  It is usually a degree or two colder than the thermostat setting.  However, when the temps drop down to the low teens or single digits and the heat is cranking just to maintain 66 the upstairs will be at 68 and sometimes 70.  Which makes me lower the thermostat when we I go to sleep. I can't sleep in a hot room.  

My dh would like it at 72. He feels he should be able to walk around in shorts all year.  The heating bill our first year in the house made him realize that the temperatures he desires are not fiscally responsible.

I turned ours from 74 (summer temperature) to 70, and my husband and children are acting like they are freezing to death.  Granted, the bedrooms are definitely colder than that, since the children keep the doors closed to keep the cats out, but it's not THAT cold in here.  My husband is playing video games while wearing a coat.  My oldest daughter is under a blanket and laying on the heating pad.  My other daughter is in my bedroom, in my bed, under all the blankets.  I'm comfortable in a light sweater (and knit pants and socks), but I have my fat to keep me warm, too.  But 70 seems like a perfectly reasonable, even slightly high to me, temperature.

66 during the day, 70 at night.  I set our thermostat to go up to 70 around 7 p.m., and 66 around 7 a.m.

Yes, I have it set warmer at night. Because it makes more sense: during the day, the outside temperature will be warmer, and there's some solar heat gain. We can wear sweaters and whatnot and keep busy, which will help us feel warmer. At night, we're going to be more sedentary in the early evening, and then of course in bed.  In fact, during the so-called "energy crisis" of the 70s, when most of y'all were whippersnappers :D there were some who advocated for this because it saved more energy than keeping the house warmer during the day and icy at night.

62, but we have a gas heater in the family room and it gets toasty in there when we run it.

Right now I am wearing long johns and my husband wears a hooded sweatshirt.

One of my kids is still in shorts.

Part of the reason I like the main heat lower right now, is that it helps convince him to wear sweatpants when he goes outside!

We may turn the heat up as it gets colder. We probably will.

I’d much rather be too hot than too cold.

I'm certainly not saying I'm right and you're wrong (not by a long shot!), but --

Have you had the experience, for long periods of time, of being both cold and hot natured? For the first 45 years of my life I was so cold natured that I'd sometimes get chill bumps outside on a 90 degree day. I thought being cold was absolutely miserable, the worst. I very stupidly looked forward to hot flashes because I thought it would be so nice not to be cold all the time. And then about eight to nine years ago the peri-menopause symptoms started kicking in and I realized it wasn't just periodic hot flashes but an overall, constant intolerance to heat. I could be sweaty hot standing outside in a t-shirt and yoga pants when it was 30 degrees. Only after I'd experienced being hot natured  for a long period of time was I able to have a good perspective on both, and to truly know that (for me) being cold natured is much easier to deal with.

• Like 1

I played with the temperature a bit to see where to finally set it.  During the day it's at 68-69.  Anything lower and I just want to sit under a blanket by the fireplace sipping tea but at 68- 69 I'm productive.  I bump it up if we're having company at night because most people find my house cold.  So then it's set around 71 ish.  At night it drops to 65-66.  We like to sleep cold.  I also think it depends on your house and what you're used to, I wear a lot of sweaters and warm socks.  If my kids are in tshirts then I think it's okay to tell them to put on a hoodie.

Kimberly

• Like 1

I still don't quite understand the science behind the fact that, for instance, my cousin's house can feel freezing to me with the thermostat set to 72, and we're sweating in my house at that temperature. (Smaller house? Lower ceilings? But isn't 72 degrees 72 degrees?)

It all depends where the thermostat sensor measures the temperature. 72 is 72 at the location of the temperature sensor. It does not say anything about the heat distribution throughout the house.

Ours is set to 72. The sensor is in the living room next to the kitchen. if I cook and bake, it reaches 72 quickly and shuts off the heating, and our bedroom on the same level will be chilly.

The upstairs bedrooms are always cold because the heating system does not heat the upstairs as much and the stairwell is narrow and does not allow much convection. And it is much colder when the doors are closed.

• Like 5

I see it's time for the annual competitive "I keep my house colder than you" thread  :lol:  I know people who also have the competitive 'how long did you wait to turn the furnace on' thing...

I always lose. 22-23C in the day. 20C at night. 

Plus area heaters in our study area and a heating pad in the bed. 

And I never turn my furnace off. If it dips below those temps in the summer, the furnace turns on. I love my creature comforts. 

• Like 2

65 during the day, down to 60 in the night.  I have it set to come on at 68 for one hour to get us up and moving in the morning.  Even with that, my kids rarely wear long sleeves or socks in the house.  

But in the summer?  75.  I don't care how much it costs or how much of a drain I am on the environment.  I am a grown woman, and I don't want to be hot. (of course, our AC can barely keep up, and it rarely gets below 78 in here.  But at least I know that it's trying!)

Edited by Zinnia

I see it's time for the annual competitive "I keep my house colder than you" thread :lol: I know people who also have the competitive 'how long did you wait to turn the furnace on' thing...

I always lose. 22-23C in the day. 20C at night.

Plus area heaters in our study area and a heating pad in the bed.

And I never turn my furnace off. If it dips below those temps in the summer, the furnace turns on. I love my creature comforts.

I don’t really think it’s a competition. People have a wide range of temperatures where they’re comfy. Or not. And for some it’s a financial issue. Mostly I think people who ask are just curious.

• Like 3

I like to start out winter at 69 degrees and then gradually turn the thermostat down as our bodies adjust over the course of the winter. We're at 66 now. I really think it helps me and the kids to be more comfortable outside when the indoor temperatures aren't too high. If anybody gets too cold, though, I see that as a wonderful excuse for a baking project since our house is small and the oven really warms it up. And hot cocoa. And adding a little body fat in the winter months through baking projects and hot cocoa.

We have centralized heat which blows through the ceiling vents.  So, our ceiling is probably fairly cozy.  But, we have an old, drafty house with wood floors.  If the floors are cold and my feet get cold, I am cold, no matter how warm the temperature at the thermostat is.  I find if I can use a space heater to warm the area closer to the floor, I can get by with a much lower overall house temperature.

It all depends where the thermostat sensor measures the temperature. 72 is 72 at the location of the temperature sensor. It does not say anything about the heat distribution throughout the house.

Oh, god. I have had so many arguments with the girls over the years about why they're NOT ALLOWED to bring a space heater into the living room where the thermostat is. (They're also NOT ALLOWED to leave the door open into the utterly unheated hallway. They always blame the pets for this, but our doggies and kitties are not toting space heaters around the house, thanks.)

I would keep my house much warmer if I could justify the gas cost. 135 year old drafty house...costs me hundreds a month during the winter to keep it at 65. I'd love 73!!!

And see?  We're now at the stage in our lives where if we're going to spend hundreds per month, I also want palm trees and beaches to walk - and preferably 75 or so - no heating oil or gas cost needed.  Hence, joining those (very intelligent) migrating birds and snowbirding (next year and beyond).   :coolgleamA:

• Like 2

I don’t have a normal thermostat. My heater has numbers 1-9. The second floor tends to sit around 62-65 with the heater on 3/4. Before bed I knock the heater down to 1/2. Each room is a bit different since my heat just floats around. The master bedroom retains the most heat. Ds’s bedroom stays decent. The drum room is chilly. And the bathroom has its own little baseboard heater if needed.

The first floor doesn’t get heated by the main heater. I have an electric heater in the bathroom I’ll turn on to about 2 if the thermometer says we went under 60. Once in a while 62-65 will feel colder and I’ll put the bathroom heater on for a while.

When the heat is off from about April to usually October, temperature is controlled by the windows. Warm? Open the window. Hot? Put in a window fan. Cold? Turn off the fan or close the window.

We keep the zones we're in at 65, but I don't turn on a zone until we absolutely need it.  Each bedroom has its own thermostat along with the main floor and basement, so heat is only in the rooms we need it most.  Yay for radiators and a stove!

However, at our old home we kept it at 70.  It also wasn't 28*F outside, so 70 there felt like 65 here.

I don’t have a normal thermostat. My heater has numbers 1-9. The second floor tends to sit around 62-65 with the heater on 3/4. Before bed I knock the heater down to 1/2. Each room is a bit different since my heat just floats around. The master bedroom retains the most heat. Ds’s bedroom stays decent. The drum room is chilly. And the bathroom has its own little baseboard heater if needed.

The first floor doesn’t get heated by the main heater. I have an electric heater in the bathroom I’ll turn on to about 2 if the thermometer says we went under 60. Once in a while 62-65 will feel colder and I’ll put the bathroom heater on for a while.

When the heat is off from about April to usually October, temperature is controlled by the windows. Warm? Open the window. Hot? Put in a window fan. Cold? Turn off the fan or close the window.

Last paragraph:

That's like my first few cars that had 2-55 air conditioning.

Roll down 2 windows and drive 55 mph.

:lol:

• Like 3