Menu

S/O....how far away is your local public highschool?

Ottakee

Our nearest high school is about 3 miles away. The high school we are zoned for is about 5 miles away. When we used to live out of town the closest high school was about 4 miles away and the one we were zoned for was about 17 miles away - as was our zoned elementary and middle - they were all one building.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our closest high school is less than 0.5 miles away.  That is not in our district, though, because we are on the very, very far edge of the boundary between the two main districts in San Jose.  Our assigned school is 2.7 miles away but in a very scary area.  And it is a dangerous school.  

Apparently San Jose has 66 public high schools (including public charter schools), 18 private schools & enrollment runs from 13-3,000 students.  There are also multiple continuation high schools & 2 (2!?!?!?) high schools connected with the Juvenile Hall detention center.

Amber in SJ

I'm finding the claim of seven hgih schools within walking distance hard to believe!

I live in a big city and we have three 34 of a mile away or less. Then a few more 2 miles or so. But I doubt many people here walk two miles to school - they'd hop on a city bus or bike it! Goodness, my city garden plot is 1.5 miles away and people are shocked that I'd garden that far away from my home.

So, I guess we have seven technically within walking distance, but in such a densely populated area, ones more than 1.25 miles away are considered distant.

Emily

Less than a mile, so easy walking distance. There are six high schools in our city and one of the others would also be within walking distance, although not nearly as close as our assigned one.

But in the eastern part of my state, there are counties that are so large but so sparsely populated that the public high schools have boarding options. And they bring in international exchange students and exchange students from the biggest city in the state to keep the enrollment numbers up.

Our high school is about 5.5 miles away. The next closest is 35 miles, though still in the same county. There is another high school in the county, but because of the mountain roads, would be a 6 hour drive in the winter. We have kids who come to our high school from another county, so they don't have travel over an 11,000' pass!

I grew up in the rural midwest and we had kids come to my high school from another state in order to avoid a very long commute. My town was just south of the IA/MN border and the high school was 11 miles south in IA. For some of the MN kids who lived just outside of town across the border, going to school in MN would have added at least an hour each way to their commute.

The elementary school is 2 blocks away. The middle/high school is 2-2.5 blocks in the other direction. The district has programs where the older students mentor the younger ones in some activities. You sign a permission slip at the beginning of the year so students can walk between the schools. 

Less than two miles. A teen could bike or walk. Back roads but paved and low traffic. We can hear the football games a bit and see the lights because we're at a higher elevation. There are no other high schools in our district. The buses still come by our house though.

My small town high school was less than two miles from my house, about four from DH's. They didn't bus Middle and high schoolers if they were less than two miles.

Currently the public high school my kids would attend based on zoning is somewhere between 2 & 3 miles away.  I heard they might be "consolidating" the schools, and then the nearest PS HS would be farther than that.

The HS my kids want me to send them to (Lutheran) is about 17 miles away.  There may be bus service though.

We are 4 miles from the high school we are zoned for, but 17 miles from the next closest high school.

Some of the students at the high school I taught at had a nearly 1 hr one way drive to school.

Edited by abacus2

Our city has more than 30 public high schools, and they are not assigned by where you live. Instead, you enter a lottery to be assigned to one, ranking your preferences and crossing your fingers. A handful of these public schools are available only through special admissions, based on exams and grades or by audition, depending on the school. There are also a bunch of public charters which run school-specific lotteries.

My kid will be going through the high school selection process later this year. The ones we are looking at range 4-8 miles away. Most kids take the bus or train. If we drive, I would plan on 20-40 minutes, depending on location.

The closest public high school to my house is 1.4 miles away. 

There is a charter school 1 mile away that is currently for grades 7-9 and planning to add one grade per year up through grade 12.

The public high school we are zoned for is 2.8 miles away.

There is also another public high school 2.4 miles away, another charter high school 2.5 miles away, and a Catholic high school 1.9 miles away

Edited by rebbyribs

1.2 mile drive, probably a bit shorter to bike/walk since there is a bike path that would cut off a bit of distance.

In the town where I grew up, the secondary school was 4.4 miles from my house. I took a school bus until I was old enough to get my driver's license.

We have three high schools within about a mile and a half. DD will start high school next year at a classical charter school that's about 3/4 mile away. Elementary is around the corner. Two middle schools are a bit further than the high schools. We have open enrollment here, so you can choose any school in the district as long as there is space available.

My ds could walk to 7 high schools also, but three of them are girls schools. 😀 Very few co-ed high schools in NZ.

The one we are zoned for is 8 blocks away.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

1 standard catholic highschool

1 Jesuite catholic high school (no vocational or art track available)

1 secular highschool

1 Steiner school (no classical track available)

All schools are 'public' as in 'funded by the government and accessible to all who agree with their pedagogic schoolplan'.

All schools are in a 10-15 min. Cycle distance medium speed, the Jesuite School can be walked to.

I say highschool but al schools are geared to grade 7-12, as is standard here.

Less than 2 miles, but because of traffic it would take about 45 minutes to walk there.  Half that for the city bus. 

The middle school is less than one mile away, but also involves crossing one very busy street.

The elementary school about 1 block as the bird flies, but because we live in a weird little neighborhood you have to walk of out and around to get there, about 5 blocks by foot.

About 12.5 miles away but easily 20 minutes by car on two major expressways.

I think that's a big factor.  It can take a good half hour to get to ours +/-10 miles away, without bus stops.  Friends of ours live 16 miles away, and it can take us 40 minutes to get there. Longer if it's a high traffic time at one of the few stoplights we need to go through. (I had to sit through 4 cycles last time!)

There aren't really any expressways to use. There is one that cuts through our township, but there's no ramp, lol! (Wetlands issues.)  It's primarily winding country roads. Our friends are probably only 10 miles from us, as the crow flies!

6.3 miles for our zoned high school which is the closest

2.6 miles for our zoned elementary and middle (adjacent).  They are also the closest.

Neither walk would be very safe, due to curvy two lane roads with no sidewalks, low visibility, and some areas with soft or no shoulders, and a 50 mph speed limit which is regularly ignored.

ETA: Reading the replies, I realize why I see so many responses of "They can just walk!" when things like car ownership, tardiness, or other schedule issues are discussed.  It would take our kids almost 2 hrs to walk to high school along routes that no one ever walks because it is so dicey.

Edited by Joules

Our public high school is down the street, less than a mile. My kids' parochial school is about a 15 min drive, no buses so we have to take them and pick them up.  My high school when I was young was about 20 minute drive; it was a regional high school. But there were buses.

Our zoned high school is about 2.5 miles away.   My son's private high school is about 8 miles away.

When I grew up in rural New Jersey my high school was 10 miles away.  It took about 30 minute on the bus.  I had many friends who lived 10 miles in the opposite direction.  My husband grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia and it was the same situation for him.

Well, I stated this in the other thread, but my high school is 25-ish miles away. But the speed limit is 45mph the entire way, so it takes a while to get there.

Our district is 15 miles wide. Reg ed Bus routes are about an hour long. Most dc within two miles can walk in half the time their bus takes as they are picked up first and dropped off last. The bus over to votech is an hour each way, and the CC is 45 min each way if no traffic. Most sped runs are 60 to 120 minutes each way (lots of out of district placements).