Menu

S/O....how far away is your local public highschool?

Ottakee

I can see it from my house, it's about 2 blocks away.

It does cover a large area though, some kids would have a half-hour walk.  There are also more bus students now than in the past.

ETA: if we were in the French school board it's about 3km, but it covers a huge area.

The other high school is about 10 min from here on the city bus.  French immersion kids (not French school board) go there, while IB kids to the school up the street.

Edited by Bluegoat

5.8 miles. 

Ds took a class there in his freshman year (Florida homeschoolers can take classes at the high school level). I was wondering why my gas consumption was going up, then realized I was driving nearly 12 miles round trip 5 days a week, in addition to our usual teen homeschool group stuff.

We live 5 miles from our high school (and elementary, intermediate, & middle - all same area).  It takes me 8 minutes to get there by car.  It's definitely not recommended going by bike as the roads aren't set up well for biking (no shoulders).

I consider it very close TBH.  There are no closer schools.

Ours would have to walk 2.0 miles just to get to the bus stop! Actual schools are in town, about 18 miles.

Ours walked 6/10ths of a mile to their bus stop (and back).  Sometimes they rode their bikes and put them in the hedgerow to come back.  If the weather was poor we drove them (to the bus stop).  

Here if you are going to public high school you go in the town you live in. There aren't really zones unless you are talking about a large city. We live on the opposite side of town from the high school so about 7 miles.  There are three public high schools closer to us but they are in different towns.

Ours would have to walk 2.0 miles just to get to the bus stop! Actual schools are in town, about 18 miles.

Ours walked 6/10ths of a mile to their bus stop (and back).  Sometimes they rode their bikes and put them in the hedgerow to come back.  If the weather was poor we drove them (to the bus stop).  

Yeah, our bus stop is somewhere around 1.5 miles away.  No sidewalks, narrow (private, not state-spec) roads lined with drainage ditches.  They actually have designated student parking spaces for teens who drive themselves to catch the bus!

• Like 1

The bus to the middle school and high school stops right in front of our house. We have a tree that ends up sheltering bikes, skateboards and the occasional scooter. DH has suggested we should put in a bike rack :).

It's kind of annoying. The elementary school is across from our backyard, the middle and high school bus stops right in front of our house...yet DD has been homeschooled since age 5:).

Edited by dmmetler

We have 2 schools that are about 2.5 miles of us and another within 3 miles. DS splits his time between one that is 2.5 and a 4th one that is about 7 miles away. He's zoned for the closer one and travels to the other for a program. Even the farthest feels pretty close to me when I drive it. All of those are public schools. I don't know where the private schools are.

The bus comes right in front of the house. DS could not walk to school because the roads are not safe for pedestrians. 

Edited by Paige

5 miles to the one in town. we have open enrollment. our kids can go to any school they want, if there are openings. the next closest is about 20 miles-actually 3 in that town, that i know of. all public. i don't know about private schools here. 

where i grew up, there were at least 5 high schools within 2 miles of my apartment. maybe more. i walked past 3 private schools on my way from school to swim practice. 

Junior high is right across the street. Elementary is a little futher away. High school is walking distance. My house is the bus stop for elementary and high school. We drive past one of them everyday going to our acitivites or library. Every once in a while , i will point out the school that they could have been going to . Perfect locationfor a nonhomeschooler I think.