Menu

Median income of your area

Granny_Weatherwax

$78,121 in the city proper (Anchorage).

$104,263 in my particular town.

Both are household medians.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I can't get the US Census 2010 page to work to get local city data.

Below income data is from citi-data for my city

"Estimated median household income in 2015: $108,886 (it was $69,466 in 2000)

Estimated per capita income in 2015: $45,279 (it was $31,755 in 2000)

Mar. 2016 cost of living index in zip code *****: 143.5 (very high, U.S. average is 100)"

ETA:

"Mean price in 2015:

Detached houses: $976,760

Here: $976,760

State: $617,467"

I didn't see any median price numbers.

Edited by Arcadia

I can't get the US Census 2010 page to work to get local city data.

Same here.  And I know it worked in December when I needed to use it for a paper I was writing.

I wonder if this is an example of another government website being "redone."

$93,000 median household income. I don't have by neighborhood though. I assume mine is higher than the city as a whole but not as high as the neighborhoods on the other side of the park.

ETA: I found a breakdown by subway line. I live on the poorest line, which I totally could have predicted. Average is $65,619. This is fascinating. If you live in the DC metro area it's worth looking at...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/26/how-median-income-varies-by-subway-line-in-washington-d-c/?utm_term=.cc90b259c65e

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

Magic Google has numbers ranging from  $95,120- 101,200. I don't know how to tell which is the most reliable. 

ETA: Wikipedia says mean household income is 115k, mean household income is 120k. What's the different between household and family income? I'm confused. 

Edited by texasmom33

For my town:

The median income for a household in the township was $91,753, and the median income for a family was $102,944.

Not sure what distinguishes family from household.

I live in one of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country and in the top 10 for median family income. We rank third in the NYC Metro Area for median income.  Similar to what Heigh Ho said - lots of people that work in the city.

Median household income is $99,142, which has grown by 28.19% since 2000.

High COL but varies greatly between towns in the county.  We're in one of the higher COL ones but probably live in the smallest home in town.  No apartments at all and condos are bigger/more expensive than our house.

ETA:  Took some digging but found the COL Index for my county - 151.0.    For my town - 167.80.  Ouch.

ETA again:  Looks like our food, healthcare and transportation are about the same as national average.  It's our housing, which is almost 3 times the national average that puts us up that high.

Edited by Where's Toto?

$40, 745 for the tiny farming town I live in.

Interestingly, the much bigger town ten minutes away that everyone drives to for pretty much everything has a median household income of $37,446. I would have guessed it was the other way around.

More single earner households maybe?

Are there more young adults just starting out? More elderly people living off of SS?

My zipcode: $58,012

next zipcode over--2miles away-- (different schools): $81,970

Metro area: $55,753

COL Index 122

We definitely feel that difference from zipcode to zipcode.  It's a running neighborhood joke. 

Edited by Zinnia