Menu

WWYD: family scheduling dilemma

Janie Grace

I love to sing and haven't sung in a choir since college. Just heard that our new church has a Christmas choir. Three weeks of practice (next 3 Sundays), performing on Christmas Eve. Practice is 1:30-3:00 after church.

Ds13 has his first basketball game of the season at 2:00. No problem, dh can take him.

Dh just remembered he has a meeting 12:30-2:00 after church (at church building). Church is 45 minutes away. He cannot miss this meeting. (Don't want to go into details but it's important.) 

Would you:

1. Give up your choir experience and go to ds's game. Hopefully you'll have another chance soon.

2. Sing in the choir but just go to 2/3 rehearsals. (This stresses me out since I don't have recent choir experience but might be okay.)

3. Have 17yo dd take ds to his game and hope that he is okay with his fans being siblings only this one time.

SIGH. I feel like my knee jerk is just to say "forget it, I'll give up choir" but I have given up so much of my own interests for so many year and it just makes me really sad to not do something I was really looking forward to. However, thinking of ds without us there makes me super sad too. He is an eager-to-please kid. I know he would say "it's fine" but that he would be disappointed. 

WWYD?

• Like 1

Have brother take him to the game. You have a third driver, so use him. Your things are valuable too.

I do not believe that kids need to have an audience at every athletic event. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. All of my kids have had meets, games, tournaments where no one was there. They have traveled without parents to same. We also do not require siblings to attend.

• Like 35

One year, we had three children in AYSO soccer.  Dh was a coach of the youngest's soccer team so he was already having to be there.  My oldest was 13 then.  He understood and wasn't upset that because of the scheduling of games, one or both of his parents couldn't be there always.  We were there when we could.  I tended to go to the middle girls game if there was a conflict between the older two kids games, if not always.  There was a four year difference in the kids and I just thought 13 yo could handle being without a parent better than 9 year old.

It is not unhealthy for your 13yo to see that you have interests, too.

Would you make him miss his basketball game to come to your choir practice?  That's absurd, isn't it?  Turn it back around, give yourself permission to have balance in your life that includes you.

It's one game. 

• Like 16

It seems obvious to me that the third option is the best.

You are worthy. You deserve interests. You deserve time to yourself. And having a healthy balance of time with the kids and time for yourself is good for them as well as you - and helps make you a better, happier person which makes you a better mom. Be an example to them that it's okay to occasionally choose yourself over others.

• Like 11

We have missed quite a few of our kids' events over the years. We got to most of them, no doubt, but when multiple kids are in sports that is a lot of games.

My kids are about grown and they hold no resentment over this as far as I can see and they are very independent kids. I will add that there were times we could make an event but let an older sibling take them anyway. It is good for both siblings, bonding, etc.

I have also been shamed for missing games over the years by other parents. That is mean!

Go to choir without guilt :)

• Like 2

I'd be asking DS how important it is to him that you be at his first game before making a decision.

I've had three kids heavily involved in music, plus dance, church, and 4-H, and my husband's job requires him to be away a lot of evenings and weekends. We try to have at least one parent at what we can, but from early on whenever we ran into conflicts I've always asked them how important it was for one of us to be there. They knew they could be candid and it has saved me a lot of stressing in similar situations, because there were times it mattered a lot less to them than it did to me. 

• Like 3

There are a million choir opportunities. There is only one first game of the season.

If I could go back and not miss even a single practice of my son, I would.

This is most definitely not my experience. Choir opportunities that actually work with my life are very rare. There are a million children's sports opportunities.

• Like 9

This is one game. I would probably go to choir if I really wanted to do it. It is great to have special sibling time too. That is an important relationship. If it were really important to the child and maybe he worked super hard and was going to a state tournament or something I might change my answer.

• Like 1

#3. If somebody else can take DS to the game so he can play, I would go to choir.

I don't see why a mother needs to sacrifice her interests to watch all their kids' games. 

Parents can show that they are interested and supportive without being spectators at every event. It is a good lesson for kids to see that parents are people, too, who do things they enjoy.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

No-brainer. Let dd take him this time. If it were a super-special event (e.g., championship game) I might say otherwise, but "first game in a long line of games" doesn't qualify in my book.

And really: You're asking for three partial Sunday afternoons here to do something you miss and love. I don't think that's unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination. Enjoy your choir!

• Like 4

The sibling can take him.  Christmas Choir opportunities only come once a year for a very short period of time, but he has a whole season of games you can watch.  He's 13, not 7. This is a very good opportunity for him to learn that everything isn't only about the kids all the time.  Sometimes moms and dads can do their own thing too.  You support his interests and he can support your interests. Siblings can support each other's interests.  Sometimes it's fun for siblings to go off on their own and do something together -send some extra cash with them to get ice cream or dinner together or something. It will be their own fun, special sibling event.

My brother and I still do things together all the time and we're 43 and 44. We camp, hike, kayak, buy our dad gifts, have our favorite cousins over, make a gift for a relative, build a full size catapult, etc.  Seriously, let them do things together to support each other and have fun together apart from mom and dad-they'll be glad you did.

• Like 4

I wouldn't even think twice about doing option #3. I was a competitive swimmer as a kid and I didn't care if my parents were there to watch or not. I don't think my Dad came to a single race. My Mom came to a few, but really only if it made sense due to driving distances and what not. Even at the time I admitted that it must have been one of the most boring sports to watch. I know my boys don't care if we are there to watch them. (With the exception of when they were younger and might have ended up wanting Mommy.)

The only sport my boys doing is running. I have only ever seen Eldest finish a race twice, because if I'm going to be going to a race I'll be taking part in it. Since Eldest is so much faster than me he meets me at the end of my race.

The first race I saw him finish was a badly organized Terry Fox run. There was no clear directions of where to turn off to complete a 5K instead of a 10K. Well Dh, Youngest and I managed to figure it out. Eldest did not and accidentally ended up with the 10K people and did a 10K. I must admit that when I got to the finish line and couldn't find him I freaked out a little. He came running in with a time of 56 minutes with a huge smile on his face. 

Why not ask your son his opinion. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind not having a parent with him for one game. 

Definitely have a sibling take him. My kids get dropped at games as young as five (or taken by a teammates parents). I like to support their interests, but I think it is good for kids to see that their parents have interests too. And-for me- I want my kids to know that they do sports for themselves not for me to watch them. It will be a good dinner conversation-you can tell about choir and he can tell you about his game.

Edited by lovinmyboys

I'd have the sibling take him. (Or arrange a car pool, or drop him early with something to pass the time, or let him take the bus.) I don't think parents have a very significant role in children's sports. 13 is a reasonably independant age, and I'm happy to treat a 13yo with respect for that independence.

I'd have the sibling take him. (Or arrange a car pool, or drop him early with something to pass the time, or let him take the bus.) I don't think parents have a very significant role in children's sports. 13 is a reasonably independant age, and I'm happy to treat a 13yo with respect for that independence.

:iagree:  I regularly have to dump my kids off early or have my teen take a bus somewhere.  My teen is performing in a professional  theater production 48 times this month.  He's getting there via bus, carpool, and us sometimes.  We're attending and ushering quite a bit, but no where near 48 times.  LOL.

I think it's good for your kids to know you have interests.  If you have busy teens it's just not possible to make everything.

Have brother take him to the game. You have a third driver, so use him. Your things are valuable too.

I do not believe that kids need to have an audience at every athletic event. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. All of my kids have had meets, games, tournaments where no one was there. They have traveled without parents to same. We also do not require siblings to attend.

Yes! Ds has played several travel games without us because we just could not work out attending.

#3, definitely.

I gave up a half marathon I really wanted to run because of a special, one time Girl Scout thing this fall and then it turned out that ds had a soccer game during our back-up half marathon. My dad took ds and dh and I ran the half marathon. He survived just fine. I still drove him to all of his practices (in addition to all of his sisters' practices). I ran my tail off getting all three kids to everything for the entire soccer season. It was one game in a line of games. There will be a whole batch of games and first games for years to come.

It's ok for you to have interests and it's ok for you to have things you do that don't involve your children. You are a person, too. You matter. Rather than feel guilty, be confident that you are showing your children a healthy way of parenting. Enjoy the choir!

#3, no doubt. 

There are a million choir opportunities. There is only one first game of the season.

If I could go back and not miss even a single practice of my son, I would.

I honestly don't understand this - trying hard to make games, sure, but practice? Why? Watching every sports practice is, to me, akin to watching every session of math homework, or every game of tag.  

• Like 5