Menu

What is on your "Summer To-Do" list?

Been thinking about mine a little as we are winding down with school. I think maybe I need some inspiration. Once I think of a few things, my mind gets carried away with all I *should* do, I get overwhelmed by the resources and energy needed, and then I end up not doing anything. We are actually taking a summer break this year so I do have time, but I really need to watch the $$$$. I think in a perfect world, I repaint the whole house, which may be a tad ambitious. So what are you all planning to do?

Edited by Guest

Have a baby. Do nothing else!

Hmmm...

Spend more time at the pool, beach and gorge.

We Konmaried the house but never got to sentimental items and kitchen so we should do that.

Make some fresh fruit pies and freeze them for the winter.

• Like 5

Plant my back yard garden

Put up my back yard hammock. Sit in it and read.

Line things up so DD can paint her room.

That's probably plenty. Summer's are so busy here that I inevitably fall behind even with the long days and a short list.

• Like 1

Build a pool and do the landscaping of our lot. OK, oversee all that, but it still feels like a huge undertaking.

Study botany with my DS and plan a small vegetable garden that we'll hopefully plant after everything is finished.

Survive having DD in a camp for 3 weeks. This will be the first time longer than 1 day for her being away from me.

Plan HS for my DD. Probably the most exhausting project.

• Like 1

We are replacing all our bedroom carpets with laminate. DH and I are DIY, so we plan on it taking at least 6 months to complete, especially with DH's travel schedule. We are just taking it one room at a time.

I'm also hoping to clean up our classroom area, which has been a total mess for a year now, as well as plan our upcoming school work. My oldest two children will be at camp in June so I'm hoping to tackle this then.

• Like 1

get my deck repaired and cleaned up.

get my son ready for 9th grade.

visit my dad, sis, and her family

figure out if I'm really going to go to school next fall and weather it's via online university or local community college.

begin work on kitchen cabinets.

read lots of books and weave

• Like 1

Scrapbook.

Pick berries. Freeze a lot. Make enough jam for the year (4 batches? 28 cup-sized jars).

Go through home school stuff. Sell some?

Plan next home school year through Christmas

Sleep in.

Go to the pool more than we did last year.

Deep clean the house, especially the kitchen.

• Like 1

I'll need to write lesson plans and get the next school year in order.  I'll be running ds15 back and forth to football practices, training camps, and weightlifting.  I'm considering a zoo membership for the younger boys.  Of course, there are the trips to see family that will eat up a couple of weeks.  I'd like to do a lot of reading, too.

I need to relax and decompress, but when I don't have plans I just waste the days and then I go into a depression.  

• Like 1

Declutter, including finally emptying our storage unit full of worthless stuff!

Paint the kitchen cabinets and (hopefully) make and install wood countertops.  Fingers crossed!

Plan, plan, plan the heck out of this fall's co-op classes.

Enjoy the outdoors.

• Like 1

I need to make a list of all those things I've been saying I'll get to in the summer. Off the top of my head I know I need to clean out all the closets, work on starting a garden, paint the kitchen, work on getting my photography business up and running (something I've been planning to do for over a year but keep putting off because of fear), clean/organize the back patio. Plus relaxing and enjoying the pool! It is our first summer owning a real pool so I know we'll enjoy many days soaking in chlorine (which reminds me I also need to explore saltwater pool conversion risks and benefits).

• Like 1

We're still doing school but...

I would like to get ds a new bike helmet (he's outgrown it) and get him riding his bike. He's never spent much time on it and it still has training wheels on it. During the summer it's much safer to ride around here as most of the college kids are gone. I'd also like to get the kids to the pool and work on swimming. It's just going to be hard to do based on pool hours and dh's work hours. I can't monitor both kids alone.

Yes, decluttering needs to happen here, too. We also need to hang up some things (thing for drying shirts, thing for holding guitar on wall, pictures).

Visit family. Grandma isn't doing too well at the moment. Hope we can celebrate her 101st birthday this summer.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

Gut and redo the master bathroom, put hardwood in the foyer, finish the landscaping we started in April, and scrape and paint 5 outside windows.  Every day in July will either be spent traveling or hosting family here. And I hope to ride my bike somewhere in there. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping for a warm summer so I can convince my DS to spend lots of time at the beach. I really need to work on my boogie board skills. :)

Cycling. Lots and lots of cycling.

Traveling to races (see cycling).

We are coming up with a list of nearby places we haven't visited (or visited much) yet. Probably that will include yet more cycling. :)

Learning to run????

Really, the calendar is *packed* already. I big puffy heart our 6-8 weeks of summer. The days are full and busy, and just when we can't take more winter comes back and we can hibernate...:)

• Like 2

Hibernate at any air-conditioned places while kids are at summer camps. Probably hit the beaches at Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay on weekends to get away from the heat.

Have fun watching my kids do science labs because summer is when all windows and patio doors are open so our house is the most ventilated during summer months. I don't like the smell of formaldehyde but one of mine likes dissection.

• Like 1

Declutter my entire house and garage

Redo the back porch

Have the bushes and trees trimmed throughout the yard

Do an hour of math and writing 5 days a week with dc

Go to the beach

Go to New York

Spend time at the lake and pool

Edited by Jan in SC
  • Like 1

We're still doing school but...

I would like to get ds a new bike helmet (he's outgrown it) and get him riding his bike. He's never spent much time on it and it still has training wheels on it. During the summer it's much safer to ride around here as most of the college kids are gone. I'd also like to get the kids to the pool and work on swimming. It's just going to be hard to do based on pool hours and dh's work hours. I can't monitor both kids alone.

Yes, decluttering needs to happen here, too. We also need to hang up some things (thing for drying shirts, thing for holding guitar on wall, pictures).

Visit family. Grandma isn't doing too well at the moment. Hope we can celebrate her 101st birthday this summer.

Don't be afraid to try the pool alone. We joined a pool when my kids were 2, 3, and 4. I went almost every day from 11-2. We would swim for an hour or so, then eat lunch, and then swim some more. They would take a two hour nap after we got home.

There are life jackets and floats available for all ages. I ended up meeting people who became good friends and everyone would help each other. My 4 year old could swim, and my 3 year old learned quickly. (Most days we would go back after supper to swim with my DH.)

• Like 2

I made a list the other day that scared the hair off me. Here's a partial:

*math & Latin with the kidlets

*open DD's Etsy shop

*put up bookshelves in kids' room, new ones in office

*work on my next book

*write an e-book

*start website

*work on freelance writing

*run more miles

Summer gets busy for us because of camps and crap too.

• Like 1

Outside of the college visits w dd, an out-of-state friends' wedding, a trip to visit ds in CA, and our family vacation to WDW:

--plan coursework for dd's senior year :eek:

--update course descriptions :eek:

--update dd's transcript :eek:

--work on my portion of the Common App :eek: :eek: :eek:

And for fun:

--bench press 100lb by June 21, my 50th birthday

--work on my deadlifts and pushups

--spend as much time as possible outdoors!

--read for enjoyment every single day :)

• Like 2

Don't be afraid to try the pool alone. We joined a pool when my kids were 2, 3, and 4. I went almost every day from 11-2. We would swim for an hour or so, then eat lunch, and then swim some more. They would take a two hour nap after we got home.

There are life jackets and floats available for all ages. I ended up meeting people who became good friends and everyone would help each other. My 4 year old could swim, and my 3 year old learned quickly. (Most days we would go back after supper to swim with my DH.)

Oh my! I don't think I couldn't handle that even with life jackets. Just way out of my personal comfort zone. Neither of my kids can swim. One is turning 8 and one is 17 months old. We're granted access to a pool through dh's work, but there are no life guards and it has limited hours. That's great that you were able to do that, though. Especially with the nap time LOL

Edited by heartlikealion

We have quite a bit of school left :( decluttering, go to public pool, summer movie program, hang out with friends, camping, work on scouting badges with girls...piano lessons, a couple camps, maybe a family trip (nearby)... don't know what else. Whatever life brings!

• Like 1

My kids are in public school until June 23rd!!

We have a crazy summer ahead:

high school grad

move

wedding

- we have grad photos planned for this saturday

- we are planning to do a family backpacking trip over Memorial Day weekend.  I hope the weather is better.

- we don't have a place to live in our next location and it's starting to make me feel sort of panicked

- before we move, in June we have state track meets and prom and scout camp and more...

- we will move out of our house by July 1, then drive to our next place.  Dh will check in there with his work and stay with some old friends iff we don't have a place to live, while the kids and I will continue driving to my parents' house.  

- We will have the rest of July to help get ready for our oldest dd's wedding at the end of July.  The reception will be at my parent's you-pick berry patch.  So cute!  But lots to do to get ready.  

-After the wedding we will head home and hopefully we will have a home to go to.

- Right after that dd15 will try out for volleyball and ds will attend a music camp.  

-Then a couple weeks later dd18 will head to college....

Yipes! This is the craziest summer ever.  I think I need a nap!

• Like 1

I just made a list this morning! :thumbup1:

1. Organize photos. Years worth of photos from my Kodak camera all fall under 2003 online because I never set the camera date. :ohmy:

2. Learn BodyFlow 73 (I'm a substitute fitness instructor)

3. Write girls' Bible study to go along with If:Gathering app's study called I Believe

4. Put together novice speech camp

5. Drive my daughter to speech camps

• Like 1

Declutter the clutter that's accumulated since Christmas break.

Continue with math during the summer for both boys.

My rising 9th grader will take .25 credits of photography this summer, then another .25 next summer.

He will also watch the great course on being a good student and read a book about organization/executive function.

Plan out lessons for next year.

Visit family for 11 days.

Get to the pool once a week.

Oh...forgot to add some of the high school prep stuff I'll be figuring out:  how to write a transcript, course description, how to assign a grade, how to sign up for the psat,....stuff like that.  In other words, I'll be here a lot asking questions.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Win the lottery

Lose 5 pounds

Listen to lots of audiobooks while driving daughter back and forth to work

Torture son with daily SAT prep

Knit a blanket

Sew and scrapbook

Actually paint dining room instead of collecting paint swatches

Edited by gingersmom
  • Like 4

We have a seasonal camping spot and my goal this year is to stay there the entire month of July. I seems like we're always running back and forth between there and the house (about 45 minutes apart). And it is exhausting. We have crazy schedules in June and August, but I have decided to turn down everything in July and just stay at the campground. My goal is to not get in a car the whole time. Dh will be driving back and forth to work, so he can bring us groceries, but hopefully, he will take some time off too. I'm going to take a big stack of books and school stuff to get ready for next year (and some school-lite stuff for the kids) but mostly we'll just go from the beach to the pool and back again. At least, that's the plan!

• Like 1

In no particular order:

-lose the last 10 lbs (continue whole30 and 6x week workouts)

-get my son ready for high school (required summer work and a little bit of private tutoring)

-summer high school baseball league

-mandatory summer strength and conditioning for baseball team

-get into some sort of grocery shopping/cooking routine that doesn't involve last minute calls to DH to "pick up something for dinner"

-stop hanging on to homeschool stuff I will never use

-plan out American History II for the younger using a million resources because I cannot find one that I like

• Like 1

Well, in my head I have plans to be all kinds of productive and proactive. Chronic underestimator that I am, I'd say I'll manage a fourth of this list...

Declutter, declutter, declutter! That's the biggie. We are just about out of little kid phrase and need to move on. I literally want to go through every room and cupboard and reset everything. Some rooms have been done fairly recently, so they need more of a putting back to order.

Cull and reorganize the book shelves

Plan for next year. Looks like the oldest is heading to the local school for 10th grade, so that is a huge thing off my plate. My youngers need some dedicated and focused planning, rather than the solid, but half assed version I have been serving up the last two years.

Paint the dining room

Continue with math, reading w/ the youngest and read aloud to all

Take a long trip by myself w/ the kiddos. That will be in August. It is two solid days of driving, but is usually lovely and magical when we get there.

Visit my aunt on the opposite side of the country, by myself!

Do something creative for myself regularly. I have some paint-by-numbers I would like to at least start over the summer. 

Visit the gym regularly

Enjoy the kiddos. I am realizing we are in the last summer or two of everyone being around and home (as it stands, my oldest will be gone 4 weeks this summer not couting the August trip). Everyone is going to be going in their own directions in the coming summers, so I should enjoy this season.

• Like 1

I have six weeks before we start school again.  In that time, I am hoping to:

-Tidy/clean out/declutter a bunch of areas in my house that have been sorely neglected for a long time, due to having small children.

-Clean some neglected areas.

-Clear out this year's materials and put next year's in.

-Finish next year's school planning.

-Touch up a few areas in my house that were painted last summer.

-Knit.

-Read.

-Sleep.  (Well, maybe just this weekend.  It's been a crazy busy few weeks.)

I'm going to get ALL of it done!  Yes.  Sure.  Uh huh.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Okay. So I made a list today. Two, actually. The first is all the things I want to do to the house. That list will get presented to DH and we will whittle that one away, as he sees fit. We chat about things here and there but I think having a list will help us be more productive. Not going to stress about that stuff getting done in the summer. The second list is more organizing/de-cluttering. I am hoping to get most of this done in the next month and then have about a month of school planning and really relaxing. I did make up my craft closet today, so that is now ready if I am in the mood to do any crafty stuff.

Summer To Do

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter kitchen cabinets

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter T's room & clothes

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter S's room & clothes

Ă¢â€”Â» Organize laundry room

Ă¢Å“â€œ Organize entry closet

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter bedroom closet

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter master bathroom

Ă¢â€”Â» Declutter school stuff

Ă¢â€”Â» Go through clothes

Ă¢â€”Â» Go through/organize DVDs

Ă¢â€”Â» Patch wall holes

Ă¢â€”Â» Clean baseboards

Ă¢â€”Â» Clean blinds

Ă¢â€”Â» Clean windows

Ă¢â€”Â» Thorough house cleaning

Ă¢â€”Â» Order pictures

Ă¢â€”Â» Clean computer up

Ă¢Å“â€œ Organize library

Nothing.

Ideally, I would like to sit outside in the sun and do absolutely nothing.

In a perfect world, I would sit outside in the sun and do absolutely nothing without any neighbour/civilization noise or any clocks, phones, small appliances, or computers dinging or any bills demanding to be paid or any responsibilities, but st this point I'll gladly settle for brief lessons, simple/fresh food, a good book or 2000, and a postage stamp sized back yard in the inner but small city.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

1.  Be grateful daily that I don't have as much to do as Margaret in CO.

2.  Replace the nasty, nasty carpet in my basement homeschooling room with---something.  I don't know what.  

3.  Go to Cooperstown for a 12 yo baseball tournament, a rite of passage for 12 yo travel teams.  I'm praying we don't get slaughtered AND that my baby hits a home run (short fences--it's possible).

4.  Refinish the two bedroom doors that I've never gotten around to doing.

• Like 4

In no particular order: 

• move (which involves some decluttering, then the actual move, then the setting up a new house, then more stuff... :ack2: ) 
  • take a summer class
  • work on my honor's project with my advisor (technically a summer class too)
  • attend a history conference
  • help my mom get ready for an auction/house sale
  • read a huge stack of books
  • brush up on my French
  • revive my Latin
  • try to study to CLEP out of College Algebra
  • edit a rough draft of a novel (hahaha - maybe I'll get to that by August) 
  • take too many naps
  • maybe take a weekend to get away once the move is done. 
  • I suppose I need to clean the house and mow the yard in there sometime

Send the kids to classes or daycamp most weeks and blow through some serious classes for my public accounting coursework.

Older son has 5 weeks of 3 days a week philosophy class and three weeks of 5 day a week teens with ASD social skills summer camp. Younger has 5 weeks of autism camp and then 1 week of nature camp and 1 week of baseball camp. In the middle we have a family vacation planned.

Color me excited.

• Like 1

Do a lot more things for my phonics website and YouTube channel. I hope to do some livestreams and finish a DVD series I am working on. It all goes so much slower that I think it should. I hope it will go a bit faster when we finish school. Actually, come to think of it, I may be able to squeeze in a bit more work than normal next week, they are both taking tests that I do not have to do anything for and finishing up their final papers. Something always seems to come up when I think I might have time, though...

Summer cooking classes for the kids, taught by us. They cook their own breakfast and lunch every day and a few simple dinners, but they need to expand their horizons, they cook the same simple meals most days. It is too much to squeeze in during the normal school year, and will be even harder next year with first year of high school for my oldest and middle school level work for my youngest who will be 6th grade next year.

Read all their books for next year. I enjoy reading, even curriculum, so that is not a chore. The phonics stuff is mostly enjoyable but some of the process is painful, I like the creative side but not the whole process involved, especially when there are glitches or upgrades that make you learn new things to do what you used to know how to do but don't any more.

I have a big work deadline in late June.

After that I have travel plans in Eastern Europe.

I don't have any major household projects this year.  Just hoping to get ahead of my work schedule and keep up with the normal stuff.

It would be nice if I finally assemble my fitdesk and get all my personal and work filing up to date.

I have ambitious plans to get through some curricula and learning projects with my kids, in the evenings / weekends.  Their summer is mostly a full schedule of day camps, plus a few sleep-away camps and evening / weekend classes.  They want to do more with the horse show this year.  I hope they get some scout badge work and volunteer work done.

Edited by SKL

Wait impatiently for the house to sell...dream of life post house sale!

1st Sundays in June, July and August:  Sightsee around Naples: Cuma Ruins, Pompeii, Caserta Palace & Gardens

House Parties (June, girls, July, Friends, August, Boys)

A few fundraisers (nothing too stressfull).

Summer School work

Swim practices

Plan school work, buy books and curriculum.

Finish re-organizing the office/garage tool area

IF the house sells:

Finish boy's room re-do, purchase basement hallway storage and kitchen island cabinets.