Menu

Are Birkenstocks really that comfortable?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm thinking about a pair of the Gizeh sandals, but I've never had Birks before (DH is anti-Birkenstock :lol:), and that's a lot of money to spend on a maybe. I also feel like I've heard some people say they're not as comfortable as they used to be. 

I don't have plantar fasciitis, but my heels are definitely achier lately and I'm starting to feel some of the effects of age (and weight *sigh*) on my feet. I need to transition away from $3 Old Navy flip flops to something more comfortable and supportive. I have some Clarks flip flops that are pretty comfortable, but the straps are kind of stretched out, and they're not my favorites. I really, REALLY prefer being barefoot, but that's not working anymore, so I'm looking for something as close to barefoot as possible yet still with a comfortable footbed. 

So if you have Birks, do you think they'll fit the bill? Or do I really need to go the way of the Merrells and Clarks? How about Tevas?

TIA.

I think you'd want to try them before you buy. 

with your boardname, I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off with Okabashi flip flops. Arch support, heel cup and comfort without a huge price tag and much less risky to buy online. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Definitely need more than Old Navy flip flops!

Have you tried Fit Flops? They're supposed to be good for plantar fasciitis. Costco has a pair, and Nordstrom Rack usually has them for non-insane prices. Orthaheels too. I've had the Tide version for a few years. They're hard at first, but then you get used to them and they're very comfy. I live in my Gizehs, but they are at least 5 years old and have a leather insole instead of the suede. It took a bit to get used to the thong, but I wear them constantly now. It's not a cushy footbed, but it is supportive. The cushiest footbed would be a Fit Flop. Or an OluKai, but I don't know how they are for PF.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 1

Clarks and Teva are narrow in terms of width for me so I have to try those in store as some are too narrow at the toe area. Keens works better than Teva for me because of the wider area at the toes.

My mum tried birki sandals as she has a bunion and high arch. Didn't work for her. I have a pair of birki clogs and it is comfortable enough for me. I wear clogs or boots to beach though.

• Like 1

I think it is difficult to say if a type of shoe will work for one foot based on how it works for our own.

I personally find Birks to be very comfortable. I've had many pairs over the years. They do feel a bit stiff at first, so if you are just trying them on, go for fit over how the feel..if that makes sense. They absolutely get less stiff.  New birkies always feel like plywood strapped onto my feet, lol.

My one issue with birkies is that they do not do well in wet weather. They really take a beating if you get caught in the rain, not exactly the best shoe for my part of the world. I've had a couple that got trashed in a sudden downpour.  I mean...they survived and lasted years, but they were never quite the same...so of course after that first storm I would stop caring about keeping them dry.

FWIW, I did not like Tevas for every day wear. I have some for when I am going to be hiking around water, but that is all I use them for. They are sort of my anti-birks, lol. They can go where birks can't.

• Like 4

Birks are the only shoes I wear.

I don't own the pair you linked as I don't think I would like thing between my toes. My favorites are the ones that wrap around your toes.

Look for a style that has a soft footbed . No real on time for me. I suggest ordering from shoebuy or xappos because they ship both ways free. Find a style and order the same style in several sizes . Wear them around the house and return what doesn't work. Your toes need to in the footbed and not crawling up the side or they won't be comfortable. Be sure to check out the normal or wide width symbol on the shoe.

Happy shoe hunting!

• Like 1

I had plantar fasciitis for all of 2012. I wore my running shoes all winter that year--the only shoes I had that didn't hurt. Even my Danskos hurt. In summer when I wanted something lighter, I bought a pair of Arizona style Birkenstocks in a nice light color. They were and are the most comfortable shoes I can wear. As mentioned above, I don't wear them in the rain, but they are my go-to shoes in non-rainy weather from April to October. The footbed is shaped to support your feet in a natural position. I used to always go barefoot in the house, but since PF I do not. My Birks actually feel better than barefoot to me now. The Arizona style just has two straps that cross the foot; I don't think I would find them as comfortable if they went between my toes, but since you're used to that you may be fine with that style.

• Like 2

I love my Arizona style Birkenstocks too. I have two pairs - an older pair and a newer pair with the cork footbed. I love both. I love the support under the toes. I don't like anything around or between my toes, so this style is perfect for me.  

I tried a pair of Birkis (?) from Famous Footwear - no where near as comfortable. 

• Like 1

I have wide feet and a high arch and I LOVE my Birkenstocks! I pretty much wear them nonstop from May-October.

They now make a water resistant pair that is not leather so you don't have to worry about them getting wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've no idea.  my mother strongly belived in comfort - no matter how ugly - and wore them everywhere.  with thick white socks.  seems like we have a series of commericials with NW stereotypes - and that's one.

• Like 3

I got some a year ago for the first time. I grew up in Washington State, so that is why I say for the first time. Very comfortable and I am now picky about my shoes. I used to be able to wear anything, my feet have aged though and that isn't the case anymore. I love to have them around the house for those times when you have to go outside but will not be out there long (mailbox or get something from the car). I did shovel snow in them this year (not intentional, went out for something and decided to shovel snow) and so I did have my Washington side showing. So they are good and you can wear them with socks if need be. ;)

• Like 1

Feet are so unique. I don't like Birkenstocks. I prefer Keens, Dr. Marten's, and a few other brands. That's not because they're better for everyone.

I did not like Okbashi flip flops however. Didn't fit my feet.

• Like 2

Definitely need more than Old Navy flip flops!

Have you tried Fit Flops? They're supposed to be good for plantar fasciitis. Costco has a pair, and Nordstrom Rack usually has them for non-insane prices. Orthaheels too. I've had the Tide version for a few years. They're hard at first, but then you get used to them and they're very comfy. I live in my Gizehs, but they are at least 5 years old and have a leather insole instead of the suede. It took a bit to get used to the thong, but I wear them constantly now. It's not a cushy footbed, but it is supportive. The cushiest footbed would be a Fit Flop. Or an OluKai, but I don't know how they are for PF.

Fit Flops!  I bought them at Ross once for $20.  The ones I bought are sneakers.  I'd never heard of them and thought they were some cheap-o brand. But I wore them and wore them and wore them...and they never seemed to wear out and they are So Stinkin' Comfortable.  So I looked them up to maybe find another pair.  Wow, was I shocked at the prices! 

I love my Fit Flops.  I'm not in a position to buy more now, but if you have the cash, those things are comfy.  Well, the sneakers are.  The soles inside just don't wear out and are cushiony and wonderful. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I wear birks every summer, all summer. I adore my birks. Once they are broken in, they fit your feet. I have many pairs, and have even resoled them over the years. My oldest pair was recently eaten by a puppy, but I got 20+ years out of those shoes!

I'd say give them a shot. If you shop around, prices vary greatly. I have small feet, so options are limited for me - but if you have normal sized feet, there should be deals out there!

• Like 1

I live in Birkenstocks. :001_wub:  I've worn them for 25 years now.  One must treat them like orthotics and wear them in slowly.  Realize they come in regular and wide widths when compared to US, but are categorized as regular and narrow (if the footprint on the footbed is an outline or solid).  They are actually my substitute for orthotics, which I only wear with running shoes.  

Here are some of the differences among brands.  I wear traditional Birkenstocks because I need more arch support.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 3

I had plantar fasciitis for all of 2012. I wore my running shoes all winter that year--the only shoes I had that didn't hurt. Even my Danskos hurt. In summer when I wanted something lighter, I bought a pair of Arizona style Birkenstocks in a nice light color. They were and are the most comfortable shoes I can wear. As mentioned above, I don't wear them in the rain, but they are my go-to shoes in non-rainy weather from April to October. The footbed is shaped to support your feet in a natural position. I used to always go barefoot in the house, but since PF I do not. My Birks actually feel better than barefoot to me now. The Arizona style just has two straps that cross the foot; I don't think I would find them as comfortable if they went between my toes, but since you're used to that you may be fine with that style.

The bolded is so true for me! If I have a long day of cooking or baking, I make sure to put my Birks on before I get started, or I'll be in serious pain later. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

• Like 2

Fit Flops! I bought them at Ross once for $20. The ones I bought are sneakers. I'd never heard of them and thought they were some cheap-o brand. But I wore them and wore them and wore them...and they never seemed to wear out and they are So Stinkin' Comfortable. So I looked them up to maybe find another pair. Wow, was I shocked at the prices!

I love my Fit Flops. I'm not in a position to buy more now, but if you have the cash, those things are comfy. Well, the sneakers are. The soles inside just don't wear out and are cushiony and wonderful.

Nordstrom Rack usually has some on an end cap for $29ish. Retail is nuts!

• Like 1

No no no no no. They slide forward on me and then the arch of my foot comes down on that rock hard ridge on the back of the shoe. Excruciating. Definitely try before you buy.

I am a Merrill girl. If your feet are narrow, Merrills are great. My friends with wide feet prefer Keens.

• Like 1

I once bought a generic and I did find them comfortable.  I didn't put them heavily to the test though.  I didn't take long walks with them.  So I don't know just HOW comfortable.

I think they are ridiculously overpriced though.

My German husband thinks they are the dumbest and most hideous shoes ever.  LOL 

• Like 1

Do not like. I also live in regular flip flops in the summer. My birks are softened up but they always give me a sharp pain in the top of my right foot within about 5 minutes to the point that I end up taking them off and going barefoot. I dopnt have this pain with anything but the birkenstocks. 

• Like 1

I never did find them comfortable. Just like every other brand, it really does vary. Definitely try them on before investing in a pair!

I can't wear them any more. I had a pair in college that I wore down to shreds, but the last pair I bought caused me more foot problems than I had before!

Maybe I'm just a middle-aged mess, but I pretty much only wear my Saucony running shoes and anything from Keen. My Keen sandals are ugly, but they work for my feet.

• Like 1

No no no no no. They slide forward on me and then the arch of my foot comes down on that rock hard ridge on the back of the shoe. Excruciating. Definitely try before you buy.

I am a Merrill girl. If your feet are narrow, Merrills are great. My friends with wide feet prefer Keens.

I have wide feet and I prefer Keens. Birkenstocks were extremely painful for me.

• Like 1

IMO whether Birks are comfortable for you depend on:

the style

the width (to me, "regular" = narrow, "wide" = normal width)

footbed -- regular or soft

I find Floridas to be very comfortable, but can't wear Granadas for more than a few minutes because the straps hit the wrong place on the top of my foot.  Arizonas don't fit right either because my forefoot isn't thick enough so the straps always feel too loose.  But the heel strap on the Roma takes care of the Arizona problem...

The best thing to do is to try on a variety of styles.  If you get them at a Birk store, you should have a choice of width too.  I wear regular width shoes, but "regular" Birks are too narrow in the forefoot.

• Like 1

I don't like them. I have had plantar fasciitis and Vionic are the shoes I wear now. Their Tide flip flop keeps the pain away. If I stop wearing them it comes back. 

(edited to add that Vionic is the new name for Orthaheel, which someone else mentioned up thread. They are specifically for heel pain.)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

DH loves Birks, the traditional two strap ones.  I don't.  Here's why:

1.  The arch is roughish, and I get a contact reaction to it rubbing on that sensitive part of my foot.

2.  I can't wear them right after a bath or else the buckle rubs a hole in the skin on the top of my foot.

3.  They are not particularly flexible.

4.  The rim around the foot area makes it difficult to shake out little pebbles or grains of sand that get up under your feet at times.

I have had PF, thankfully don't have it anymore.  The very best shoes AT ALL for really bad PF were my Dansko sandals.  They have rock hard arch support, which is what I needed right then.  The best ones for when it started to get a little better were Fit Flop sandals.  Much more cushy than either Birks or Danskos, but still with pretty good arch support.  Plus they are completely waterproof, so they double as water shoes.

• Like 1

Teva Mush flip flops.  Cost about $25, which is $15 less than the co-pay for the appointment I have to make at the orthopedist after wearing the $3 Old Navy flip flops.

I had a pair past 3 YEARS, and that is with almost all day, every day wear in the summer, and around-the-house wear throughout the year. Actually, I still wear them as slippers in the house, and it;s year 4! Even for being worn down, they are still better than the Old Navy ones for me- age 47 and fairly overweight.

• Like 1

Please don't kill me.

I know these are expensive.  Mephisto sandals are wonderful.  They have the flip-flop feel, but are much better quality (in my experience and opinion) than Birks.  

I don't wear mine all the time...but I have had them for 25 years and they still look fabulous.  My dh has just replaced his daily-wear Mephisto clogs (year round, rain or shine) after wearing them 75% of the time for about 22 years.  So yeah, $250 for a pair of sandals stinks...but when they are so comfortable and cost about $10 a year...that's a darned good deal.  The Birks were his other go-to, about 20% of the time, and they looked like carp after about 10 years.  And they weren't free.  KWIM?

These are like the Birks, and while I don't know the cost differential, that might be worth checking out.  I am not recommending the color or anything, just the general Birk style.  http://www.zappos.com/mephisto-harmony-platinum-venise

I like Okabashis best when my feet hurt, but only the classic style.  They have the highest arch support of any shoe I've ever had. They're even higher than SuperFeet inserts.  The last couple times I've looked at their website I could only find the classics for men.  But I've bought some randomly at Walgreens in the summer section in cuter colors.

• Like 1

They are expensive and unattractive, but Finn Comfort sandals/shoes are fabulously comfotable. All.day.long chasing kids and lotsa kitchen duty. 10 years and one sandal strap has a tear (i've taken no care for the leather) but they are still totally wearable (and arguably frumpy) Mine are a Velcro adjustable sandal in summer and sandal with wool or other fuzzy socks in winter.

• Like 2

I have PF and gave them a good trial but my feet are a half a size different and the arch on one sandal hit wrong and it made it worse for me instead of better. My podiatrist said Birkenstock will customize, but it's pricey.

I've had good luck with Ecco sandals.

• Like 1

Very individual thing. I wear nothing but Birks. I have a lower back issue and need to be balanced. Some of their styles are clutzy (like the London series) but I found a pair in the "Mary Jane" style (not necessarily my preference but better looking than most other Birks) a couple of years ago and I still wear them. I have to walk a lot at work because of the facility size and Birks is what makes it possible.

I'd take a look at Sierra Trading Post for discounted footwear.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

If you just want a comfortable step up from barefoot or cheap flip flops, take a look at Sanuk yoga slings. They're like flip flops made from yoga mats and your foot is held in place with t-shirt material. It even wraps behind your heel like toddler flip flops. I found them to be instantly comfortable and I'm definitely getting a second pair this year.

http://www.zappos.com/p/sanuk-yoga-sling-2-grey/product/8250068/color/401

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1