Menu

amazon "prime" shipping stinks!

TheAttachedMama

Is anyone else out there having problems with Amazon's supposed "2-day" shipping?!?   I am so aggravated I can't even believe it.  Do we have any recourse in this matter??

I ordered a Christmas outfits for the kids which I NEEDED for Christmas pictures (this weekend) on December 6th.   I keep getting updates that the package is supposed to be here everyday, but it never shows up.   Everyday they send me an email saying that there is some type of problem.  Now the order just has a little triangle with an exclamation mark on it.

But that isn't the only thing.   I ordered a Christmas gift for my husband last weekend that was supposed to be here in 2 days.  That also has some type of problem.  It has the same yellow triangle with the exclamation mark on it.  

All of the kids Christmas gifts are also having problems with shipping and not here yet.  (All prime eligible purchases.)   In fact, *everything* have ordered in the month of December is lost or having some type of problem with shipping.

I'm honestly starting to get nervous.    Am I the only one this is happening to?

I ask because a few of the Christmas presents we ordered we had shipped to my husband's office.   .  (Things we ordered on the same day as the other gifts from the same account).  And all of those things were received no problem.  So it must be some type of issue with my house?  

I think they've tried to utilize USPS for some of their shipping this year, and therein lies the problem.  But yes, I've had things damaged and late, and I've never had that problem before.  I had a pair of boots show up with a hole gouged into the side of both the exterior and interior boxes.  The boots were fine (I sent them back for other reasons), but how they escaped the wrath of whatever got into that package, I'll never know.  I patched the box before I sent them back.

• Like 1

It seems to be a mix of shipping companies when I track the order. 

My husbands gift has been sitting at our local UPS distribution center since December 6th.   So I assume that has been lost if it hasn't gotten on a truck to be delivered in this many days.

Our Christmas outfits and gifts were all sent USPS.  (In various different shipments.)  Also supposedly arrived at our local cities USPS, but never being delivered to our home.

I guess I am just annoyed because my husband and I carved out a few precious hours to do this shopping.   Now everything is lost??   Does this mean I am going to have to go and brave a department store??  Noooooo!  ;)

Edited by TheAttachedMama

Probably out of 50 prime orders, I've had problems with two of them.  I figure things just happen sometimes, and still think those numbers are very good considering all of the third parties that might be involved.

ETA:  But it's still a bummer to not get the Christmas outfits in time for pictures!

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

Contact them; they have excellent customer service and will make it right. We've had some delays, and the one that was really important, we contacted them and a new package was sent and arrived the next day. The first hasn't shown up yet, so I assume it was cancelled, but if it does show up, a return will be no problem. 

• Like 1

I've had problems with two things. One just keeps getting delayed and not arriving. One item got damaged and cancelled because they no longer had that specific item in stock. Thankfully I was able to find almost the same thing for only a couple dollars more and it arrived without a problem. I think the problem does lie with USPS. I never ever have problems with FedEx and UPS but packages that come from USPS sometimes have issues. I wish you could choose a carrier. I wouldn't mind if they said, "Hey, 2 day shipping is only available through USPS, if you want UPS, it'll be four days." Or something like that.

• Like 1

I'm having issues with several different companies this month, Amazon included. Two out of maybe dozen orders from them that were Prime and listed as in stock have not shipped a week later. One, they listed as shipped and the day after it was scheduled and didn't arrive, I contacted them and found out it was out of stock!?!? The other was supposed to arrive today and I got an email this morning that it would be next Thursday.

I ordered from the Lego shop Thanksgiving weekend and still haven't received my package. I contacted them after a week when it hadn't shipped. They shipped it the next day and replied the day after that they'd shipped it. But nothing has happened on the tracking at all and it's supposedly supposed to be here tomorrow. I ordered in stock items from Joann's last weekend and nothing at all has happened with that.

None of these are the fault of the shipping companies (well, maybe the second half of the Lego problem, or maybe they just created a label and haven't shipped it still). For goodness' sakes, I've gotten an order shipped free from China faster than from these companies!

• Like 1

My issue with Amazon lately has been them sending incomplete orders (like a tervis cup with no lid, even though the description on Amazon clearly indicated the lid was included). It happened twice last week. And when I asked about it, I got some tier 1 support standard response that didn't solve the problem, but they sure thought it did. Then I got really mad at the response! Eventually both problems were resolved, but I use Amazon because it's supposed to be convenient. They've just been really dropping the ball. 

I had some issues with their delivery schedule earlier in the year. I am mostly just fine with doing no-rush shipping, but when it's supposed to be the 2-day shipping and you really need it by a certain day and it still hasn't been sent two days later, that is really frustrating. I think they should offer an automatic credit (whatever they're offering for no-rush shipping) when they don't send it when they say it will. 

I do not think I'll renew Prime next year. My youngest may miss streaming Dora, but it's not worth the frustration to me anymore. 

That is so weird to me. It must depend on your region. I have ordered several things so far this month, and received it all within one or two days. Just this Wednesday I ordered new dress shirts for my boys for choir with 2 day shipping, and I got them Thursday. I am guessing they put more effort into certain regions than others. They have two hour delivery here. What a shame they and the shipping companies aren't consistent nationally.

• Like 1

I sympathize and would find your situation frustrating OP. However, I have to say that I ordered all my Christmas presents PRIME and have gotten almost all of them, with the last scheduled to arrive Monday.

Some things did take longer than 2 days, but it always warned of that in the delivery estimates before I placed the orders. 

If you have had something sitting at UPS for days, I'd call your local UPS office. 

I had trouble with a package last week . .. well, not really trouble, it came one day late and I had paid for one-day shipping (we are Prime members).  Anyway, I got on chat with them and they gave me a $5 credit.  I was satisfied with the response and have ordered several times late last week and this week and received everything right on time.  I would jump on chat and see what they will do.

A bonus for us is that I just discovered they are delivering on Sunday's in our area now so if I order on Friday it will come on Sunday.  

• Like 1

Most of the time I do get stuff within 2 days.  Near xmas time, it does tend to take longer.  I was waiting on 2 winter jackets I ordered.  It said out for delivery, but then they claimed for some unforeseen reason it would not arrive on that day.  I did get it the next day.  So I don't know if that was a UPS issue or an Amazon issue.

Well, I just contacted amazon as suggested, and amazon supposedly contacted both USPS and UPS, and said that they think *all* of my packages are lost.   How is that possible?   Two different shipping companies lost three packages to my house?  I mean---what are the odds?  I guess I am unlucky, but it really sounds fishy to me.

Amazon refunded my money and said that I could re-order again with free one-day shipping if I still want the product, but most of my things are out of stock now until after Christmas.   Many of my things were their deals.     So--back to the drawing board.   Oh well.  

I am glad to hear that I am an exception, and that this isn't happening to most people. 

• Like 1

We've used Amazon Prime since it started-tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the years.  I think maybe a handful things that were in stock from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller-the 2 day doesn't apply to them most of the time) came a day or two late. We've gotten several things in one day that were guaranteed in 2.  There's a Fed Ex facility within a few miles of us.

Once it leaves Amazon then it's up to the shipping company, so you may have to deal with them, not Amazon. We used to have a terrible local post office. I'm not sure what went on there, but it didn't involve a lot of sorting and sending mail.

I am having the same problems as the OP - I keep getting notifications that my item has been delayed with black triangle and exclamation points. This is for 3 items - I don't care particularly because they were all normal household items like coffee filters and soap which I have plenty already at home and only ordered because they were cheap and I had prime! But, after paying so much for Prime for many years in a row and having bought many thousands of dollars of merchandise ever since Amazon started, I think that they should refund me a prorated amount of the Prime cost for every missed Prime shipment.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

Sorry your stuff got lost.  I have had one package that was delivered to the wrong house, but the neighbor brought it over to us.  And we have had delays in some of our stuff due to weather and road closures, so not really anybody's fault.  We also have had a few that didn't ship when expected and now have a new "expect by" date.  Hopefully they don't get delayed any more since they are presents.

Yeah, the few times I've had problems have all been when the shipping company lost it. I had a problem last week when I saw something wasn't going to arrive by the time I needed it. I contacted Amazon before then, and they made sure it arrived on time.

I guess that's what I don't get. If you need something by a certain day, why not contact Amazon before that day so they can fix it in time for your deadline? If I really need something by a certain day, I check the tracking info a couple of times a day to be sure that it's proceeding as it should.

• Like 1

All of our Prime stuff has been arriving one-four days late for the last month.

The issues are regional.

We called Amazon and was told that our region cannot be guaranteed for two-day, even with Prime.  There is fine print somewhere spelling this out.  We didn't know because we have always gotten our Prime on time in the past.  It is not an Amazon policy, the issue is that our carriers (UPS, FedEx, etc...) do not guarantee their delivery times for our region.  We are in the continental U.S. so this makes no sense to me but I'm glad I know now.

It's because they are using USPS I'd bet pocket change.

I get so ticked off when I order from someone and they end up just using the USPS.

If I wanted it shipped via regular snail mail, I wouldn't have paid extra to have it shipped tyvm.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 4

We've never had a problem.  One thing we ordered broke the first time we tried to use it and Amazon sent us a replacement immediately and we had 30 days to send back the broken one (which they paid for).  Prime orders get here in 2 days and sometimes just 1.  I live in a city and we do have PrimeNOW (with 2 hour delivery) here.

Amazon cannot control the speed with which the carrier gets it to your house.  They pay them to do it in 2 days.  UPS, FedEx, and USPS don't always manage it.  When we lived in MD we regularly had trouble with FedEx and delaying deliveries (not from Amazon).  Sometimes they'd even lie and say they attempted delivery and no one was home (when I was home all day).  It got to the point we'd call and tell them to hold it at the distribution center and we'd come pick it up.  We even had a FedEx driver once forced to come deliver our package at 10 at night because he had claimed he tried to deliver but no one was home (it was not something that needed a signature).  He got in big trouble because he lied.  We just lived way out in the middle of nowhere and it was getting late and he didn't feel like making the drive to deliver.

Edited by Butter

We are having serious problems this year.  I ordered those kindles on sale at Thanksgiving.  They never showed up.  Replacement will not ship until after Christmas.  We may get them by New Years.  I have another package that shows a pre-shipment label that never got picked up but it was delivered already.  I have 2 others that are not here.  No idea when.  DH has packages from a company that are having issues as well and they use UPS.  But I think most of my issues are USPS.  I did speak with Amazon, but they are useless other than ordering a replacement.  Interestingly, the kindle USPS tracking # that amazon took off my page was in my app and today showed it moved.  So maybe it wasn't stolen after all and will show up before Christmas.  I don't hold my breath.  This is our worst year with Amazon.  I am glad I ordered early, but we have several things that will not be here in time.  AND only 1 item has shown up in 2 days.  All ordered during the week.  

This time of year, you just can't count on shipping working as scheduled.  Online ordering has grown exponentially over the past few years, and bad weather compounds the problem.

I ordered some stuff from Canada last month.  It reached the US within two days, then sat in Chicago for six days (for some unknown reason), then took an entire week to reach me in New Mexico.  So, 2 1/2 weeks for "expedited shipping".  

Several of my Amazon orders, which were supposed to be 2-days, are showing up in 3 or 5 days.  Things are being shipped separately from different warehouses and distributors.  It's crazy.  I can't even imagine what it's done to the post office, UPS, and FedEx.  They're stressed to the limits.  I'm sure that storm in the PNW didn't help things.  

• Like 1

I had something from Prime that was delivered two days late this week. This makes me a little nervous for the other things I have ordered from them, but it's pretty rare that I have problems with them. And when I have, they have been great at fixing it, going above and beyond. I often get Prime stuff in less than 48 hours, even if they use my local USPS.

What amuses me the most is that I live in a rural area but apparently not too rural. I ordered, I think, ten things last night. The one nonPrime item shipped last night. Three Prime items shipped today, together. The other six or so Prime items haven't shipped yet but will probably be here by Monday.

I think they should not advertise Prime as two day shipping if that's unlikely during the holidays.

I am sorry so many of you are having problems. Stress like that is really the last thing anyone needs!

I put in a bunch of orders on Sunday, most to Amazon, but some with other places, and it is all showing up on time.  Amazon stuff got here first, Lands End stuff just showed up today.  I've had a mix of USPS and UPS for delivery and its all been ok.

The ONE thing that has annoyed me has been stuff that wasn't sold by Amazon, but third party sellers. I bought two things and both said it would be delivered before Christmas.  When I got notice that they had shipped, the delivery date had changed to after christmas!  And of course, by then it was shipped, so I think it was a total bait and switch.  But, I also try very, very hard NOT to buy stuff I need by a certain date from third party sellers. I only ever  have problems with sellers other than Amazon proper. So, I ignored my own good advice and I got what I deserved, lol.

My daughter just told me that something she ordered from DFTBA (Hank and John Green, and others, are involved in that) was supposed to arrive Wednesday, but hadn't yet.  USPS lists it as in transit arriving on December 9th.  I think the shipping companies just don't do well this time of year.

Count me in among those who have been very unhappy with Amazon the last several months. We have had missing packages, delayed packages, increased delivery times (I freaking HATE the USPS smart post delivery as it adds at least two days to my ship times), and even have had packages arrive without having been sent a ship notice, only for a ship notice to arrive in my inbox several days AFTER we have had the item, indicating a future ship date (at least I wasn't shipped a second item to have to deal with). I don't know what's going on, but it's annoying.

We only had a handful of problems in the many years since we have had prime, but these last several months have been so bad I'm considering canceling my prime. We have had prime since the year after they started it, so that shows how unhappy I have been.

I've only had a few items have a problem.  and yesterday, one item arrived and it was smashed.  the inner box and outside box were in perfect condition.  it's the third thing I've had to return (the other two weren't through amazon.) this month.  still annoying.

I have only had one Prime package show up late this month.  It was a book that I didn't need at a specific time, so that was OK. We made several orders yesterday, and I am a little nervous. Hopefully they will be here on time. I ordered something from Target for my daughter that ended up being a week late.  It was in my home town, left, and then traveled to two other states before finally making it to my house.

I'm so sorry your packages have just disappeared into the ether. Worst possible outcome.

It's a crazy time of year for on-line ordering. My Amazon order was just a day late which I think is pretty understandable. I ordered from another company on Cyber Monday and it took them 8 days just to ship my package! In general, my USPS packages have come faster than UPS--probably because most things get shipped from the eastern part of the US and if the UPS time is 5-7 days, USPS is usually faster. So far everything has arrived, just slower than other times of the year.

I think I've had one or two problems with Amazon shipping in all the years I've been ordering from them.   I don't remember details but I remember vaguely that I was compensated in some way for delayed items, though it was always the carrier's fault, not AMZ's.  

It's probably not a good idea for Amazon' to guarantee delivery of items within a certain time frame since they are working with contracted shippers and thus are not in completely control of that process.  But, I guess it still works for them overall.

My subscription order, which ships automatically every few months, is delayed. It's always been on time or sometimes they've even shipped it a day early. Luckily it's just some household items and is not urgent.

Prime orders I had shipped in the last two weeks to myself were a day late.

I sent a birthday gift to rural PA using the same address I use twice a year for shipping these gifts. The recipient received a notice that there was a delivery problem and she had to go to the post office to pick up. The best part was they left the notice on the door. Why not bring the package, then?! I did it the same way I've been doing it twice/year for 9 years.

Not Prime-related, but my dad had some important financial papers that needed to be at a brokerage by a deadline. They had sent him papers to sign and a pre-paid UPS 2-day envelope. DH dropped them at UPS the Monday before Thanksgiving and the brokerage was open until 5:00 Wednesday. When it didn't arrive before the holiday we figured there was still time on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It didn't arrive until the Wednesday after Thanksgiving (9 days later) and the brokerage was only 20 miles away.

Edited by idnib