Do you ever cook/eat SPAM?

Jean in Newcastle

Do you ever cook/eat SPAM?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever cook/eat SPAM?

• Yes
    • No
    • There is no "Other"

I grew up on the stuff. Haven't eaten it in about 25 years, though. I guess that's still a Yes? That's what I voted.

ETA: Hmm, maybe I should change my vote to No because you're using present tense. I have in the past but do not presently. How's that? Well, I'd eat Spam today if I got a Zippy's Zip-pac* so I guess I'll leave it at Yes. :D

*link to google images of Zip-pacs

Mom made a spam casserole when I was a kid. Now, I only eat it at pot lucks when someone brings those Hawaiian spam rolls.

If you are not early in line, those babies are gone!

I've been to a lot of potlucks but don't remember ever seeing a Spam dish. 

I've had it a few times in my life but can't remember when and where. I do remember it smelling and tasting really gross though.Sorry! I've never made it for myself in my single years living on my own or for my family. 

I tasted it as a kid, and it is not very yummy.  So no, I do not cook it or eat it.  If my family were starving and SPAM was the only option, I would eat it.  It is edible.  But what is the point when you can eat better stuff?

I ate this as a child.  Spam and eggs, spam sandwiches, stuff like that.  

As an adult, I have not HOWEVER, my niece and nephew started spending a lot of time over here a bit over a year ago because of a DV and divorce situation in their home and I have bought it for them or cooked what they brought over with them on a number of occasions.  Especially in those early months when they were going though a lot of turmoil, I wasn't going to push them on their food choices.  They love spam and those little Vienna sausages (also a fixture of my childhood).  Now they are more used to our food, so I haven't fixed some in awhile.  I tried the spam and it was ok.  Kinda nostalgic in a way. Not something I am going to add to my own shopping list but ok.  I tried the vienna sausages (discreetly so they wouldn't see if I thought their food was nasty) and I couldn't even swallow it.  So gross.  

I voted no because I haven't bought/made it in at least 10 years.

I do love it though. :(

I voted yes, but the last time I made it was probably 9 years ago.

My mom sometimes would put spam (cut in cubes) and eggs with some herbs in a pan and cook it that way, and serve it with potatoes and green beans. I loved that. The problem is, it's kind of tricky to cook it right, because you've got this layer of eggs and spam that's about half an inch thick in a pan, and you don't want to burn the bottom, but the eggs do need to solidify, and then you need to flip it without it falling apart. I'm not a bad cook, but ugh... would have to make sure the stove is level to even try that.

ETA: and, with two kids I'd probably have to do two pans of spam & eggs, so I'd have two times the headache at once. I've been contemplating recently to try it, but... Some day I will.

Guess what we had for dinner tonight. . .

Dh is Filipino. A lot of places that had Americans during the war (WWII) have incorporated SPAM into their native dishes.

Well, from the bottom of my heart I apologize to all the Asian countries that the soldiers couldn't have brought a bunch of apple pie instead.

That does not change my advice. No spam for Jean!

• Like 8

I will be brave and confess. Yes, maybe once a year although I think it's been more like a couple years since the last time. And I'll also confess that I like it as do my kids and dh. Especially fried. However, in an effort to keep a mostly healthy diet, once a year is enough. Plus I don't think it's very cheap for what you get.

We also like Vienna sausages, but I never buy them. Sometimes in a fit of nostalgia, dh will get some.

How embarrassing to admit you like Spam.

I had it once at a Dutch oven cooking class. It was a breakfast casserole with eggs and potatoes and what I thought was ham. It tasted weird and then I saw the recipe. I wasn't a fan.

My mom ate it a lot growing up and refused to serve it to us. It wasn't something she liked.

Do they still make it?

I've never cooked it myself, but I don't mind the flavor of it.  We pretty much avoid all processed meats.   But, my mother used to cook it now and then.  (This was in the 60's.)  She made a really good pasta dish with it.  Yum!

I love it in kimchi stew and so does every other korean that I know. So good. I don't think that it is any worse for you than hot dogs. I don't know why most americans look down upon it.

I've never heard of this, dh is Korean and kimchi stew is his most favorite thing in the world but we always make/have it with pork belly.

We currently live in Hawauu so while I have never made anything with spam in it, when dh gets musubi, I will usually take a bite, though I've never bought it for myself or had it any other way. Hawaiians LOVE their spam.

I'm not ashamed to say that we had it for dinner.  I fried some up and had it with rice and asparagus.  We got the low sodium kind (which is probably still high in sodium, but hey, we tried).  This is the first time in over twenty years of marriage that I've made it for dinner and dh's face lit up!  We have had it at breakfast from time to time.  It is ds' and his cat's favorite breakfast.  

• Like 7

Neither hubby nor I grew up with it, but then we traveled to HI... ;)

We love it - all of us.

We only get it as a treat now and then due to health concerns, but whenever the boys are coming home (now that they are empty nesting) it is DEFINITELY one of the treats they request.

Usually we do it for breakfast - fried - with eggs on the side or mixed into an omelet or something.

No shame at all here in admitting it.  We love trying new foods that are popular where we travel and we definitely keep those we love in our diet if we can.

I only wish we could also get Saimin too.  (Another food we discovered we love in HI, but literally can't find around here.)

• Like 7

I do not.

I did as a child.

My mom used to make a Spam casserole on rainy days in our camping trailer.  It's a very fond memory of mine.  I tweaked it to use real ham (and real potatoes, and real cheese, lol) and my kids HATE it.  Makes me so sad. But not sad enough to have them try it the original way, lol.

I will not eat it on a train, in the rain, with a fox, in a box.....I wiil not eat spam. Or hot dogs, or Bologna, or "loaf" lunch meats, or Vienna sausages. I grew up in the 70's and had enough of that stuff to last a lifetime. Plus, now I know what it's made of and how. I might change my mind if I was truly starving.

I won't eat Spaghettios and green Jello either.

• Like 5