Menu

Does the breadwinner in your house love their job?

Ottakee

My dh is an electrician at a university. Overall I think my dh likes his job - I think "love" might be a bit strong. There is the usual stupidity and bureaucracy that often goes along with many jobs which frustrates him at times but overall he is pretty happy. The work can be interesting and there are good benefits. His boss is a pretty good guy who does not micro-manage and listens to his staff. The only thing my dh really regrets is the lack of opportunity for additional training his previous 2 bosses denied him. They tended to assign the same type of work to the same staff over and over. Happily, the newer boss is not like that.

No. He doesn't love it, but he doesn't hate it, either.

He's a consultant, which is inherently frustrating. He gives his opinion, is largely ignored, then deals with the fallout that he tried to avoid.

But he is good at his job, and he knows it's a good gig, at a good company.

I think he has more complaints about having to work in general than his particular job. He would rather stay home, sleep late, spend his days reading, writing, watching movies and gaming. Alas, that is not the life he has.

My dh loves the work, but hates the job. He is under a tremendous amount of stress. Management makes his job all but impossible. He's doing the work of 4 people and has been for years with no end in sight.

It breaks my heart. I have often wondered whether we should sell the house and move into a trailer so he can get something that's less stressful.

He keeps that job because of job security (it is relatively secure in this economic time) and he's 46 and probably overqualified for most work. He has lots of grey hair and would probably find it difficult to get a new job quickly if he were to lose this one.

It's a good thing he likes the actual work, when it's not being messed up by management and he can find the time to get it all done.

It is the job he chose when he was 14, required no college education, and after 25 years he is now very skilled.  He likes the work, but of course there are some headaches.  Sometimes he complains about his boss and thinks he'd like to work somewhere else, but there really isn't anyplace else within at least a day's drive, we are pretty rooted right now, and then it blows over and he's fine again.  The downside is that it pays like a job with no college education - not minimum wage, but just enough to keep walking us the tightrope between getting services and paying all the bills, and not.

AMDG

My husband LOVES his job. He likes what he does; he's good at it; he has a good team to work with; they get along well; he's highly valued by his team and the company.

That is a tremendous gift and we're really thankful for it.

He has NOT loved previous iterations and those have been hard times.

My DH, thank G-d, loves his job.  He's tried something else using the same skill set two years ago, and he liked that too, but I think he makes an awesome professor/mentor/speaker and they (the global they) seem to thinks he's terrific too.  Ergo, he's out of town way too much!  :glare:  Like today, for example.  Here' hoping he can fly back home tomorrow...

My guy is a Civil Engineer and absolutely loves his job.  He's rather a workaholic actually, but will take time off to enjoy other aspects of life too - esp our traveling or when the kids had things going on (he coached soccer when they were in it).  He also loves his boss (he's self-employed), so that's a plus - no "higher up" in the office to answer to and if he doesn't like something, he changes it.

I'm nowhere near the breadwinner, but I love my job too (subbing mostly math/science classes at our local high school).

My husband likes what he does and is very good at it but doesn't like the environment he works in.

Several years ago he went back to college full time and became a certified teacher but then the economy tanked and local districts weren't hiring his type of teacher anymore (skilled trades/tech ed) and we didnt' want to move.  He then got a job in the prison that he liked fairly well that had great benefits but then the economy tanked even more here in Michigan so they cut his programs (he was teaching tech ed to prisoners that were near their release dates).

Now he is back in the tool and die/machining world.  Sadly though the work environment is not as good as it was 10-20 years ago (longer hours, less benefits, etc) and the pay is less than he was making 15 years ago doing the same thing.

We could move but he doesn't want to do that so we live with a job that he doesn't really enjoy.

I did a poll a year and a half ago.  My husband hates his job.  He's had three jobs while I"ve known him and he's only not-hated his jobs the first 3 mo he was in them . . honeymoon period.  The politics are so horrid, the workplaces are so completely dysfunctional . . . 

My husband loves his job.  He is an accountant.  I have no idea why he loves it, I would be bored to TEARS, but he does.

I was a school counselor and loved my job.  I really loved it.  It was very hard for me to leave.  

He loves it.  He doesn't love the politics, but now that he's out of DC it's not so bad.  Government employees outside DC are often kind of forgotten about so they can just go about doing their job and getting things done.  And now that we live closer to the border I love it because a business trip means 1-3 days instead of a full week.  He does telecomm.  He's amazing with computers and IP phones.

Nope, dh finds his current job quite tedious. He is grateful to have a a job, but is keeping his eyes open for other opportunities. FWIW, the men I know who really love their jobs also tend to be workaholics and their wives complain that the job comes first and everything else comes second. I'm sure that is not true for everyone who loves what they do for a living, it's just what I see in my immediate circle.

My husband has two jobs. One is self employed and he really likes it, it suits him. The other is a part time job that he'd quit in a heartbeat if life was different. He doesn't dislike the job but the hours are exhausting, from 3am to 10:00 am earlier sometimes. He won't quit as it gives us excellent health benefits and pays our taxes so very valuable, especially with two children with extraordinarily expensive chronic illnesses. He plans to be there another ten to fifteen. or so years until dd has own health insurance.

My husband has had jobs in the past that he really didn't like and has done them in order to support our family. I just always encourage him to look for something he enjoyed. Took awhile but he's finally there. He also referees basketball for fun and $$. He's done this since first son came home and we were soooo broke after his adoption and my quitting work.

DH has been teaching over 30 years. It is terribly frustrating for him because of all of the nonsense he has to deal with (testing, lack of funding, testing, poor scheduling, testing, paperwork, testing, department meetings...). He told our kids long ago that if any of them became teachers, he would kill them. If they'd just let the teachers TEACH (what a concept!), maybe they could actually get something done. That being said, he has done a wonderful job and has been such a positive influence on so many people. His former students even have a facebook fan club for him! 

No, he doesn't love it.  He tolerates it because he has to.  Mainly because of the company he works for.  Ten years ago before he went through a series of lay offs, he liked his job.  Much has happened since then.  There aren't many options in this area, and he knows he's lucky to have a permanent job in his field.

Generally, I like my job.  If I had more self-discipline so I kept up with it better, I'd like it more.  :)

Very often I wake in the morning dreading the day because of work stress.  But if I'm honest, the majority of that is self-created.  Maybe I need a shrink.  :P

My husband had a job he HATED for the last five years but it came with a six figure salary and he only had to work 40 hours a week and could work from home when I needed him to so we tolerated it because so many people in that income range are working 70 hours a week. He worked with HORRIBLE people though. One day last spring one of my coworkers called me at home to tell me something about work and my poor husband said not ONE of his coworkers had his back like that. When he got laid off last summer he could have gotten a higher paying job that industry pretty easily, but we dropped out of corporate life and bought a restaurant and moved out of suburbia. Now my dh is happy. We aren't making any money right now, we are barely breaking even but my dh is happy EVERY day right now and it's worth it.

My SO loved his old job, but wanted to move closer to his father.  After he was rejected three times because he lived too far from the work he was trying to continue in, he applied to be a tower climber (mainly cell towers).  The pay sucks, it's extremely dangerous (even being tied off safely, it still can be dangerous) and in winter, like any construction job in a state with 4 seasons, the work isn't always available.  Despite all these flaws, he LOVES what he does for work.  He is also going to school full time so he can decide what to do next.  He truly can see doing this work until he retires (and the degree would be useless in my eyes), but I would prefer him on the ground, a bit safer than up to 400' off the ground.  I won't judge though.  He is happy, and that is all that matters to me.  Everything will fall into place eventually.

I am not sure that anyone ever "loves" being a pharmacy tech. It was something to do while he decided if he wanted to be a pharmacist and now it is something to do while he is in school, knowing full well he doesn't want to be a pharmacist. For a part time student job though there isn't anything to hate about it- his wage at a hospital with experience is double what he'd get elsewhere an hour and comes with full benefits for all of us and a nice retirement account contribution. Nothing to hate. He also gets to do projects related to the field he is studying and the hospital is helping to pay his tuition. So it's the setting and benefits that make his job great, not the actual work. He also has pretty flexible hours which is good for being a student and dad at the same time. It's a pit stop. Like a lot of adults who have ADD and don't know it (he was only diagnosed 2 years ago), he has a crazy collection of educational starts and stops and a zillion different interests. He has always stayed with his jobs though, he's very amiable and doesn't let politics or pettiness get to him. He's never worked someplace less than 5 years, which isn't exactly common for people our age.

My dh doesn't really hate his job, but he doesn't really love it either. It's tiring with odd hours that are inconsistent and long hours. He has to travel a lot on roads that are often horrible. He sticks with it because of the pay and because he can handle it so long as he has a break in the spring and fall.

Dh likes his job for the most part, he has had a lot of them but he sees the most potential with this one. He's a technical design manager for a dental lab (owned by his cousin, in fact over 50% of the employees are related one way or another). Dh is also second in command and assists with company decisions. In fact they just purchased new equipment last week that will allow my dh to do his job more efficiently and plan on expanding on that in the next few years as business picks up. He has ok benefits, no insurance due to costs but has other perks like the ability to come home if needed, paid training, paid time off (he's salary but still gets overtime), sales bonuses and other little perks.

Dh enjoys his work and is well suited to what he does. He has learned, however, that the work environment and the coworkers have an enormous effect on him. He has to have a good work environment with nice people, because the work itself just isn't compelling enough to make it worth it to live with pressure and negativity.

I'm the sole wage earner as dh has a serious health condition impeding his ability to work now. I like my job, though I miss the time away from my family. I'm hoping to be able to eventually work from home. I like the technical aspects of my work, my coworkers, and I'm pretty well compensated. Perks are nice, too.

I dislike the ever increasing greed and political nature of working in a large corporation.

DH has been teaching over 30 years. It is terribly frustrating for him because of all of the nonsense he has to deal with (testing, lack of funding, testing, poor scheduling, testing, paperwork, testing, department meetings...). He told our kids long ago that if any of them became teachers, he would kill them. If they'd just let the teachers TEACH (what a concept!), maybe they could actually get something done. That being said, he has done a wonderful job and has been such a positive influence on so many people. His former students even have a facebook fan club for him!

My dad was a teacher...he lived the teaching but hated all the admin goo and the overpriced administrators that made his life harder and took $ that should be going to kids and teachers and books. When he first started there were a lot less administrators and he enjoyed it more. He told us not to go into teaching, too... My brother is a stay at home dad and helps out several times a week at his son's school. I guess we can't help ourselves.

my dh loves his job.  He is a college professor and has been at the same college his entire career (30 years).  He loves the students, we often run into both current and past students on the Boardwalk and they are always very happy to greet him and meet me and our dc.  His bosses also like him and treat him very well.

I have a couple of stories about others:

My adult nephew was a high school teacher right out of college.  He had been at his job for several years and had tenure.  But he hated  his job a lot..  He was offered a job with Disney designing games.  He has always been a total Disney nut but he was worried about leaving his tenure job. He has 2 dds in private Christian school so needed good money to pay for that. He was allowed (by Disney) to work weekends and nights designing for Disney until he made up his mind.  He loved it so quit his teaching job and is happy now.  His first app just came out this week, it has all the Marvel characters in it, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, etc.  We are all proud of him.

another story about dh's best friend.  He got a business degree and went straight to working on the floor at the Stock Exchange buying and selling stock.  He hated every minute of it, he got ulcers, etc.  He quit and went back to school for a graduate degree (don't know what it but in the end it doesn't matter because while at school he started volunteering as a scorekeeper for womens basketball games, moved up to doing men's then up to doing pro games.  He has worked the last 4 or 5 Super Bowls , worked the last Olympics and will be working this one.  He is the statistics guy for the announcers.  He give the announcers slips of paper with interesting stats on the players, etc and the announcers spout this off and it makes them look knowledgeble.  His is single and flies all over the place and loves what he is doing.

my dh loves his job.  He is a college professor and has been at the same college his entire career (30 years).  He loves the students, we often run into both current and past students on the Boardwalk and they are always very happy to greet him and meet me and our dc.  His bosses also like him and treat him very well.

I have a couple of stories about others:

My adult nephew was a high school teacher right out of college.  He had been at his job for several years and had tenure.  But he hated  his job a lot..  He was offered a job with Disney designing games.  He has always been a total Disney nut but he was worried about leaving his tenure job.  He was allowed to work weekends and nights designing for Disney until he made up his mind.  He loved it so quit his teaching job and is happy now.  His first app just came out this week, it has all the Marvel characters in it, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, etc.  We are all proud of him.

another story.  Dh's best friend just out of college with a business degree started work on the floor at the Stock Exchange buying and selling stock.  He hated every minute of it, got ulcers, etc. so he quit and went back to school, I don't remember what major he went back for

but in the end it doesn't matter because while at school he started volunteering as a scorekeeper for womens basketball games, moved up to doing men's then up to doing pro games.  He has worked the last 4 or 5 Super Bowls , worked the last Olympics and will be working this one.  He is the statistics guy for the announcers.  He give the announcers slips of paper with interesting stats on the players, etc and the announcers spout this off and it makes them look knowledgeble.  His is single and flies all over the place and loves what he is doing.