Menu

Birth sizes of your girls vs. boys

Kathryn

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just looking for a general idea of what others' experiences have been. Were the birth weights of your girl babies about the same as your boy babies, more, or less? I know eventually boys are generally heavier, but does that happen later or from birth? My boys were 6lbs. 12oz. and 7lbs. 2oz., so pretty similar at similar gestational ages at birth.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it had nothing to do with gender, but with birth order.  The first and second were small, the third was bigger, the fourth was biggest.  :)  The fifth was a fluke I think -- and was the smallest of all.  (My son was the first, and all the rest were girls.  My #3 girl -- and 4th child -- was much bigger than all the others and is quite tall.  However, my son is quite tall too -- 6'3", but was only 6.5 lbs. at birth).

Boy, 37 weeks, 7.5

Girl, 40 weeks, 7.15

Boy, 40 weeks, 8.12

Boy, 37 weeks, 6.12

Girl, 38 weeks, 7.4

Girl, 37 weeks, 6.12

Boy, 40 weeks, 9.1

Girl, 39 weeks, 7.8

Boy, 40+weeks, 8.7

mostly my boys were bigger when comparing similar gestational age.  My kids have not all gotten bigger as you can see although I know some people do.

My son was my first and my heaviest at 6lbs 5oz. My middle 2 were premature, so they don't count, but my youngest girl was a pound smaller than my DS and they were both full term. We were surprised that she was so small and expected her to be closer to DS's size.

DS1: 8 pounds 8 ounces

DS2:  8 pounds 14 ounces

DS3:  10 pounds 2 ounces

DD4:  8 pounds, 10 ounces

So, dd was in the middle of her non-giant brothers.  I was SO relieved she was smaller than ds3!  

It's weird, but my boys were always VERY tall.  They are currently all over 6 foot.  Dd was and still is TINY for her age.

My girls were all preemie, but large for their circumstances. Ds was full term and small. Of course, I have no idea what sizes the girls would have been if they had baked longer. They actually induced me with ds because he was measuring to be huge, and given the girls' weights for their gestation it seemed on target. He was under 7 lbs!

Both my children were born at 39w2d.

Girl - 5lb, 13 oz.  We were SHOCKED she was so small but later found that it runs in my family.  My father was full term and about 5.5 lbs.

Boy - 7lb, 7oz.  After the first one, I couldn't believe I was carrying a pound and a half more of baby!  His size surprised us too for the opposite reason.

I'll have another data point for you in August.  :)

Girl born at 38 1/2 wks was 8 lbs 15.5 oz

Boy born at 42 wks was 11 lbs 1 oz

Boy born at 36 1/2 wks was 7 lbs 11 oz. He would have been around 9 or 10 lbs if he had been full term.  He was my smallest, but he looked huge in the NICU compared to the other babies there.

My girls were bigger than the boys.

ds 41 weeks 9lbs 7oz

dd 39 weeks 10lbs 7oz

dd induced at 38 weeks 8lbs 10oz

ds induced at 38 weeks 7lbs 9oz

I was induced for all 4 kids and the last two they induced me 2 weeks early due to health issue and large babies. I have no doubt those two would have been born later and been larger. :)

Both my kids were born at 37 1/2 weeks (long story as to why!). Boy was 6 lb 10 oz, girl was 6 lb 13 oz, but shorter. Boy was born first, but I also had a very large fibroid when I was pregnant with him so actually it's kind of amazing he was so big. I had c-sections and both kids lost a ton of birth weight because I was hooked up to so many iv fluids. Both came home under 6 lbs.

My firstborn son was 7 lbs, 10 oz and 20.5 inches. I was relieved as DH was nearly 10 lbs and I was not small at 8 lbs, 5 oz. My secondborn daughter was 8lbs, 8 oz. and 21 inches. They were both born 9-10 days before their due dates. They both packed on the pounds right away and had chubby cheeks, but DS was a whopping 22 lbs by only 3 months! DD was almost 16 at 3 months. DD has slowed a bit and is almost 19 lbs at 6 mo. which puts her at 75th-90th percentile. DS was off the charts for a long time but is now about 90-95th.