Menu

Birth sizes of your girls vs. boys

Kathryn

fraternal twin boys (nine days late)  7lb 6 oz and 8lb 7 oz.  c-section

Next baby, dd, 9lb 13oz (c-section)

last baby, planned c-section that, oops, may have been a week or so early (she came yellowish and furry)  8lb 3oz (bet she'd have been over 9lbs like her sister had she gone until labor tryed to start).

All my (smoking) mom's babies were six pounds plus a few ounces.

My hubby and his siblings were about nine pounds each.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DS1  9 pounds, 19 inches (39 weeks, induced)

DS2  8 pound, 5 ounces, 21 inches (41 weeks, naturally)

DD 7 pounds, 12 ounces, 19 inches (38 wks, 4 days, induced because water broke with no contractions)

I think Asher would have been 10 pounds had he been allowed to fully cook.  Jackson and Piper were not small babies, but they fell to the 7th percentile on the growth curve by six months, where they have remained.  Asher is in the 90th percentile for weight, and the 75th for height.  Because Piper was a little early, she was so, so sleepy.  We could not get her to eat, nursing or a bottle.  She lost a full pound (dropped down to 6 pounds, 12 ounces) and took over a month to regain her birth weight.  Asher and Jackson were both chubby within weeks, but Piper looked like a little alien with her thin little face and chicken legs.  She is not skinny, but she only weighs 28 pounds and is about to turn three, she's like a little elf :).

I was worried that my 4th, my 3rd boy in a row, would be the biggest of all.  My first 3 had been progressively bigger by nearly a pound each time.  #4 ended up being in the middle of the other boys, luckily for me - since he was also born posterior!  All were born within days of their due dates.

#1 - Girl - 7lb 12oz

#2 - Boy - 8lb 10oz

#3 - Boy - 9lb 8oz

#4 - Boy - 9lb 2oz

DS 1st -- 8 lbs 6 oz, 41 weeks (longest -- by far, 2nd lightest...he was a string bean!)

DD 2nd -- 8 lbs 14 oz 39 weeks (3rd longest, 3rd heaviest...couldn't tell where her bottom ended and her thigh began)

DS 3rd -- 7 lbs 8 oz 38 weeks (4th in length, lightest...my tiny baby...with the craziest birth)

DD 4th -- 9 lbs 2 oz 39 weeks (2nd longest, 2nd heaviest)

DD 5th -- 9 lbs 4 oz 39 weeks (shortest & heaviest)

My girl (my first baby) was my second smallest baby, but my next to latest. My boys were all right in line with each other for gestational age -- the 38w3d one was only 8 pounds, but if he'd waited the couple of weeks we expected him to, he'd likely have been right about the same size as his brothers.

DD -- 40w6d, 8 lbs. 11 oz.

DS1 -- 41w1d, 9 lbs. 10 oz.

DS2 -- 40w5d, 9 lbs. 5 oz.

DS3 -- 38w3d, 8 lbs.

DS4 -- 40w4d, 9 lbs. 3 oz.

See, all the boys are right in line with each other for dates.

For me, it had no relevance to birth order or gender. My first, a girl, was 7lbs 6oz.

My second, a boy, was 9lbs 5 oz.

My third, a girl, was 9lbs 2oz.

My fourth, a boy, was 7lbs 11oz.   

So, two 9lb babies of each gender and two 7lb babies of each gender. 

My daughter was 5 1/2 lbs and my son was 9! Both were born a few days after their due date. DS wasn't even a big toddler, just a giant baby. He was much easier and slept and nursed better. Dd was always a tiny kid, but a healthy one. She stopped growin a few years ago at 5'2" she 'might' have finally hit 100lbs.

My DD was 6, 15.5

DS was 9, 9

I only have two.

I can't remember how long they were. But both shot right off the charts fairly quickly as far as height and weight, and are still mistaken for older than their age because of their height. And it's been a long time since I could safely lift either of them. They are made out of lead or something. Even being tall they are deceivingly heavy.

ETA: DD was 10 days overdue. DS was 5 days overdue.

I know there are no guarantees here, but I'm just looking for a general idea of what others' experiences have been. Were the birth weights of your girl babies about the same as your boy babies, more, or less? I know eventually boys are generally heavier, but does that happen later or from birth? My boys were 6lbs. 12oz. and 7lbs. 2oz., so pretty similar at similar gestational ages at birth.

My boy was between my girls.  But gestational age was different.  

1 Girl - 10 days late, natural - 8lbs 10 oz

2 Girl - 10 days late, induced - 10 lbs 3 oz

3 Boy - 3 days late, natural - 9 lbs 14 oz

Current -

19yo girl is shortest and middle weight

16 yo girl is middle height and heaviest

13 yo boy is tallest and lightest 

DD #1     6 lb. 14 oz at 36 weeks

DD #2     7 lb. 1 oz at 39 weeks

DD #3     6 lb. 15 oz at 39 weeks

DS #4     7 lb. 15 oz at 41 weeks

DD #5     7 lb. 8 oz at 39 weeks

Gestation length seemed to be the only difference for my babies' weights.  All my girls were early, my boy was late. #2 and #3 were twins which also doesn't seem to have affected their birth weight.  .  

all of mine were born at 40-41 weeks close to same size (7 lb range) biggest (8 lbs even) was ds who is now 21 and 6'1 but skinny and smallest was dd 6-13-- good thing because she was breech and I had her naturally.  She is now 13 and very tiny.

#1: DD 7 pounds 10 ounces (37 w 5 days)

#2: DS 9 pounds 12 ounces (37 w 5 days)

#3: DS 9 pounds 2 ounces (38w 5 days)

In my experience (all vaginal unmedicated births) bigger babies are not harder. The first baby tends to be the hardest, for obvious reasons, and the rest are easier. The major factor in ease of birth is the positioning of the baby, not the size. My last (9 pounder) was delivered in one push after a four hour labor. Easy-peasy.

#1: DD 7 pounds 10 ounces (37 w 5 days)

#2: DS 9 pounds 12 ounces (37 w 5 days)

#3: DS 9 pounds 2 ounces (38w 5 days)

In my experience (all vaginal unmedicated births) bigger babies are not harder. The first baby tends to be the hardest, for obvious reasons, and the rest are easier. The major factor in ease of birth is the positioning of the baby, not the size. My last (9 pounder) was delivered in one push after a four hour labor. Easy-peasy.

Oh, I'm not worried about having a bigger baby. I'm buying my cloth diapers and deciding how much to invest in tiny ones. My boys were around 7 lbs, but bulked up quickly. I was wondering if I could expect the same from a girl, or if they usually followed a different pattern.

Everett- 3 days early 7lb 12oz, 21"

Annika Clare- 3 days late 8lb 3.5oz, 21"

Lucas- right on time 6lbs 6oz, 18.5" 

My older two favor dh's side of the family.  Everett has been taller than me since he was 12.5 years old, Annika is 12 now and is about .5" shorter than me.  Lucas takes after my side of the family and at 8 is about 6" shorter than most kids his age.

Son - 9 lbs 12 oz

Daughter 11 lbs 4 oz

My son made his own decision when to come out - I think just before the 38th week (water broke two days before scheduled induction). Daughter was in there a few days less than my son, because I wanted the c-section done as soon the doctor would go for it. I was afraid of giving her more time to cook, as my son's size and my medical condition landed him in the NICU. She was larger, but handled it better. 

Boy, 39w, 7 lbs. 2 oz, oldest

Girl, 40w, 8 lbs. 13 oz.

Dd was always over 100 percentile height and weight throughout her younger years. At 3 y/o she was the size of a 5 y/o. Grown, she is my size, 5'5" and thin. Ds was/is always tall and thin (except for chunky preteen years), now grown, he is 5'9" and thin.