Menu

Heard more than 1..2..3 heartbeats!

NicAnn

Congratulations!!  I'll second the "line up help now" advice, for later in the pregnancy and for when the babies are born.  I am assuming that you will need to see a doctor, but will your midwife still be part of your birth team?  She may be able to give you some good nutritional advice.  One of my students with twins had to eat lots of small meals to get enough protein to support her pregnancy. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I can't even imagine!  I think I would have to have an ultrasound to actually see them all before I could believe it.  The thought of 3 (or even 3+) little babies growing inside me makes me feel a little queasy.  I hope it is a wonderful experience for you.  

Congratulations!!!

When they saw two at my ultrasound, I literally could not find any words.  Dh looked rather pale and was speechless.  I can't imagine if they had said three.  Oh my!  How exciting.  I definitely would contact a mom of multiples group.

Congratulations.  I would want to confirm with ultrasound as others have suggested.  I had twins 13 years ago, and sometimes it was hard for the medical persons to distinguish which baby was which even on ultrasound.  (they moved frequently).

Congratulations! Our neighbors' triplets just turned 4, and it's been a busy, busy household over there. I know Mrs Neighbor is very involved in the local Moms of Multiples group, which she has found a wonderful source of advice (and hand-me-downs).

A local mom had triplets recently - she did very well, and carried the babies quite far. I am actually going to see her tonight at the La Leche League meeting if you'd like to PM your e-mail address. She is very involved in birthing stuff, and has made a TON of contacts.

Hers were naturally occurring. She had 3 young girls already and had triplet girls.

Congratulations to you and your DH!  Over the years, my wife and I have known 3 couples who had Triplets. They all survived this very challenging experience. I believe that you need to go to an OB-GYN with a lot of experience with Twins/Triplets.  Much GL!

Thanks for all the replies! Some of you offered advice, and I'm going to go back and Reread it all. So thank you!

Backstory- I'm actually 17 weeks. I didn't see the midwife for the first time until 13 weeks because we were traveling, this is my 3rd baby and I have a lot of experience as a student midwife, etc. So yeah...I didn't find out til now. I feel like an idiot to be honest!

We go in for an in depth ultrasound tomorrow. I'm not very big so they want to check on baby size.

Yes this definilty risks me out of home birth, but there is a good chance I can still go naturally. We shall see!

DHs reaction was less than stellar. I'm sure he will be embarrassed about it, to be honest. However I know he was looking at multiples blogs last night, so at least he's not bailing!

All I can think is that I'm so glad I graduated grad school before finding this out.

My twins were discovered on a routine u/s at 18 weeks; I had gone by myself to that appointment, too. I think I have never been so shocked and horrified and overwhelmed in my life. It took me several days to be able to think about it at all without having a total freak out. :) 

Babies are now a robust 4 months old. I birthed them vaginally, med-free, at 39.2 weeks and they were perfect! I gave up my plan for a home birth (my older 2 singletons were born at home), but managed to keep interventions to a minimum and it was a wonderfully healthy pregnancy.

We only heard one heartbeat on the doppler at 13 weeks. My other babies could be heard--fleetingly--at 9 weeks, but these two hid out longer than that. :) 

I have the Dr. Luke multiples book so PM me if you'd like me to send it to you.

Ok so we are having triplets. I don't think I've said it out loud yet! Im in total shock. Happy shock i think, but shock.

I had ZERO clue! Yesterday I went to see the midwife, because I was planning on a home birth. I was measuring much much bigger than last month and so she spent extra time on my exam. Three babies. DH wasn't even there. It's my third pregnancy and the midwife is a dear friend, so I went by myself. This is totally crazy.

Are there other triplet moms here?? Please check in!

I'm not, but I knew a woman who had twins then followed with triplets. When I knew her she had five children under 4 years old. She was the calmest woman I've ever met.

Hope all goes well, and stays peaceful.

Thanks for all the replies! Some of you offered advice, and I'm going to go back and Reread it all. So thank you!

Backstory- I'm actually 17 weeks. I didn't see the midwife for the first time until 13 weeks because we were traveling, this is my 3rd baby and I have a lot of experience as a student midwife, etc. So yeah...I didn't find out til now. I feel like an idiot to be honest!

We go in for an in depth ultrasound tomorrow. I'm not very big so they want to check on baby size.

Yes this definilty risks me out of home birth, but there is a good chance I can still go naturally. We shall see!

DHs reaction was less than stellar. I'm sure he will be embarrassed about it, to be honest. However I know he was looking at multiples blogs last night, so at least he's not bailing!

All I can think is that I'm so glad I graduated grad school before finding this out.

As a student midwife you probably already have seen it, but if not, google Dr. Tate. He caught vaginal VBAC triplets a year or so ago!

The book everyone I know with multiples swears by is the Dr. Luke....all of them had healthy pregnancies that went full term. One was induced at 38 weeks, one went OVER 40 weeks with twins. All nice big babies. 

I'm not, but I knew a woman who had twins then followed with triplets. When I knew her she had five children under 4 years old. She was the calmest woman I've ever met.

Hope all goes well, and stays peaceful.

Honey, that wasn't calm, that was catatonic.

(my grandma had 5 kids in 3 years....set of twin boys, another singleton boy, set of twin boys)

Our last baby was supposed to be twins. Two hearts, two on the ultra sound. But the regular tech was out of the office on my appointment. They wanted to follow it up in two weeks. Two weeks later and there was only the one. PLEASE get a second look. We'd always hoped for twins and to have them for two weeks only to be told there was only one was heart wrenching. Prepare for the possibility. Regardless on numbers, congratulations on the new addition!

There's a mom here on occasion at TWTM boards who had her twins at home.  They were 9 pounds each.  She went 39 weeks as I recall.
The OB that used to deliver at a free standing birthcenter here delivered triplets at the hospital naturally.

I think it's fantastic that you're having multiples!  Oh my goodness you're twice or thrice blessed!