Menu

Let's make a list of non-degree career options for struggling youth

Harriet Vane

I'm a foster mom, and I've repeatedly had conversations with both teens and adults about career opportunities for youth who prefer not to go to college. 

I'm thinking in particular about one teen in my orbit. Teen has genuine artistic talent but unlikely to pursue commercial art options. (I have worked in publishing for many years and am a big proponent of art school and art careers, but big career options are not an option for this person.) Teen also loves children. 

So many of these teens and young adults need structure in a job. 

So I'm curious about any and all non-college careers, but also curious about any jobs that lean towards using art skills. If you have any tips or a quick description of what it takes in whatever field you suggest, that's much appreciated as well. 

So far I've thought of:

• post office
  • auto painting (A neighbor suggested this. I don't know much about it but am intrigued.)
  • childcare options

• Haha 1

Not art skills, but EMT and paramedic programs generally don’t require a degree. Some states it’s an AAS, though, but it’s a very technical hands on program.

I don’t know any full time paramedics in my area making less than six figures, but that accounts for mandatory overtime built into 24 hour schedules. EMTs are running around $65,000 in my high tax but LCOL area. Also, the rate of neurodiversity, especially ADHD, among EMS professionals is pretty high.  We are generally a pretty accepting lot of people.

Also, phlebotomy, X ray tech, ultrasound tech,  and CNA programs, at least in my area, are not college programs but short technical certificate programs.

One of my cousins went to welding school just for the art aspect. It was a several month night program, and now she creates metal sculptures as a hobby.

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A neighbor boy is doing a welding program. He loves it. I have heard that graduates are highly employable and are paid well. I have actually seen evidence of that too. Welding was one of the options my own son was looking at.

Son has worked as a diesel technician. Pay is decent, employees are union in our state so there's protections from unreasonable number of hours, etc. It's very physically demanding.

Son is currently working as electronics technician for the USPS. It only requires that you pass their test, my son's Bachelors is in Classics 🤣. He says it's a fine place to work. It requires shift work and holiday work. Pays better than the diesel technician job, which is decent pay itself. 

You can tell there's some career exploration going on in my family!

I'm in the medical field and I think there's a lot of scope there for certificate programs, as mentioned above. 

I don't know if there's anything that would limit this, but I pretty highly recommend the military. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Things my son looked into:

trades: electrician, plumber, carpentry etc.  Many require apprenticeship but many of those are paid.

Welding

manufacturing (and I know several of the bigger companies around here will train welders to work on certain aspects of the manufacturing line) but even the regular assembling/line work pays quite well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My dd is working through her pre-apprenticeship course for building and construction. She's aiming for a cabinet making apprenticeship, possibly doing an extra year on top to get qualified as a carpenter. She's always wanted to be a builder, but has developed a love of joinery and wants to get into heritage restoration. She's got a work experience elective through school next year as well, with a few placements falling through (the builder realised he'd promised the place to his daughter's boyfriend and the heritage cabinet maker didn't feel like doing the paperwork) so she's going to hit up a plasterer who does heritage work because that'd be a good bit of stickybeaking too.

She lives in a town with a heritage trade centre, which we only heard about when she was offered a scholarship for a weekend course with one of the country's top furniture makers. They get all excited when young people show up. Last time she was there for a coopering course, a guy running a carving class spent the whole lunch break talking to her about stuff. So, if your teen has any inclination towards trades, there is room to develop into fancy stuff. Ordinary work puts bread on the table, but it also provides skills to be creative with.

I know two different people who ran camp programs. In one case, teens could become counselor assistants and, after a few years doing grunt work, could work as a camp counselor without a degree required. 

Im also pro-military, though none of my kids elected that option. The security afforded through the military is extremely exceptional. 

Also, for trade certificates, people usually do think of things like plumbing and HVAC work, but there are other good ones, like elevator servicing/repair and construction-related explosives. My husband has friends in both of these fields; they pay well and do not require a degree. Oh, also forestry and tree management. 

• Like 3

Not glamorous but my son got an internship at 18 with a trucking company.  He had to start on the loading/unloading docks.  The company  has trained him, he has his CDL and is now driving a regular route for them.  He's making decent money.  Wants to buy a house next year.  He did research and picked the company very carefully -he's always wanted to drive but wasn't interested in overland routes.  He's home every night.

• Like 4

UPS - have to be 21 to drive a truck, but they will hire younger for warehouse and seasonal. Has a strong union. Can be hard to get in, but I was told that they tend to hire people for full time that have worked seasonal for a couple of years. Hours aren’t great, mandatory overtime during the holidays, limited flexibility in work hours - can’t get off early for kid’s events and stuff like that. But the pay is good and so are the benefits. Still has pensions which is pretty rare these days. 

• Like 3

Working at a utility like water plant or wastewater plant. Look up wastewater technician, With the appropriate certifications, you can make pretty good money at this even without a college degree.

Also, a young man at our church became a lineman. He went to some training. My understanding is that these people make really good money. 

• Like 5

While many music teachers have degrees, there are a lot of short training classes to get credentialed for a specific program, although it's hard to make a full time job out of it.  You need to sing on pitch and not be embarrassed (don't need to have a professional quality voice, and in fact, one of the first things college music Ed majors with a voice background have to learn is how NOT to sing with vibrato), and you need to be able to carry yourself professionally around parents. Mom and tot type classes are essentially teaching child development to parents as much or more than teaching music, but most of the major programs actually teach that as part of their teaching materials. Programs designed for older children or instrument specific peogeams are more focused on teaching the instrument.  

There may be visual arts type programs, too-I just know music better. 

Early childhood education typically requires a high school diploma to be an assistant, and you can get a CDA as a competency based credential with limited coursework. It doesn't pay much (around here, $12-15/hr), but it's easy to find a job. Once you get a CDA, you can often move to being a paraprofessional in public schools, which pays more. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

... career opportunities for youth who prefer not to go to college... curious about any jobs that lean towards using art skills...

Courtroom artist
Mural artist
Book illustrator / technical or textbook illustrator
Storyboard artist (TV/film)
Picture framer
Art conservationist / restorer
Florist / flower arranger
Food stylist
Cake decorating
Gallery assistant
Interior designer
Art / Design / Color consultant
Tattoo artist
Stained glass artist
Miniature model maker / mock up artist

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My DH worked at UPS through college. He was just telling me today that most of his long term coworkers were working there for the benefits and the fact that you could still get a pension after only 15 years. I think it was $2k/month at the time. So they had people that did 20 years in the military then worked there & got two pensions. And they had tons of people that ran small businesses (artists, a bike shop owner, a baker, etc), even a couple that had trust funds that they were only allowed access to if they worked somewhere with benefits. 

I also follow a few artists online. Because public universities are free in our state for those who were in foster care, I think I’d encourage an artistic kid to go, work at UPS, double major in business and art or some custom multimedia degree, and take some basic classes in stuff like web design and video editing too. She could end up as an artist or art teaching influencer with multiple streams of income. If she needs structure, some schools have tutoring programs that are pretty hands-on and meet daily for accountability. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are you interested in apprenticeship type options that involve some study or do you want completely non study options? There are plenty of the former, not so many of the latter.

basically no one in my extended family goes to university (I’m really hoping at least one of mine breaks that pattern - or I might break it myself next year). Some of the careers they’ve pursued include horticulture work, office admin, irrigation technician, lift mechanic, fitter and turner, electrician, data cabler, farm worker/ manager, shearer, tractor salesperson, typist and captioner, tutoring (me). Lots of options. I would say it’s harder and more limiting but many are successful. Also those who run their own business in trade areas have become quite well-off. If you have a good work ethic running your own business really seems the way to go eventually. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Katy said:

My DH worked at UPS through college. He was just telling me today that most of his long term coworkers were working there for the benefits and the fact that you could still get a pension after only 15 years. I think it was $2k/month at the time. So they had people that did 20 years in the military then worked there & got two pensions. And they had tons of people that ran small businesses (artists, a bike shop owner, a baker, etc), even a couple that had trust funds that they were only allowed access to if they worked somewhere with benefits. 

I also follow a few artists online. Because public universities are free in our state for those who were in foster care, I think I’d encourage an artistic kid to go, work at UPS, double major in business and art or some custom multimedia degree, and take some basic classes in stuff like web design and video editing too. She could end up as an artist or art teaching influencer with multiple streams of income. If she needs structure, some schools have tutoring programs that are pretty hands-on and meet daily for accountability. 

This teen in particular is absolutely not going on to college. I wish it were otherwise--teen is competent and bright enough. But teen will not consider it. 

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

basically no one in my extended family goes to university (I’m really hoping at least one of mine breaks that pattern - or I might break it myself next year).

It's the same in my area - it's unusual to go to uni, almost every boy leaves to do an apprenticeship and a lot of the girls end up in hospitality. 

Do give uni a go, though, don't let HECS put you off. I did my master's online and it was great fun. So much better than in person. And if you're planning to do special education, most of the cost is covered by the government anyway. You can even start with one or two subjects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bookbard said:

It's the same in my area - it's unusual to go to uni, almost every boy leaves to do an apprenticeship and a lot of the girls end up in hospitality. 

Do give uni a go, though, don't let HECS put you off. I did my master's online and it was great fun. So much better than in person. And if you're planning to do special education, most of the cost is covered by the government anyway. You can even start with one or two subjects. 

I want to do either speech or veterinary which is in person only sadly. Speech is the kind of logical extension of what I’m doing, veterinary is my childhood dream but to be honest I think will be too much to do while working and homeschooling 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I want to do either speech or veterinary which is in person only sadly. Speech is the kind of logical extension of what I’m doing, veterinary is my childhood dream but to be honest I think will be too much to do while working and homeschooling 

You can do an undergrad (3 years) in any discipline and then do the 2  years Speech Path masters degree at Charles Sturt - so you could start with a science degree and see how you go - after 3 years you could decide whether to do Speech or Vet science. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The number one determiner of employability in the autism community is social skills. Right behind that is emotional regulation. OCALI publishes the ELSA, which is an employability life skills assessment form. Rather than focusing on what job, I would think about what skills are missing. As far as what job, I would look at what parameters they need to exist successfully (what kind of work environment, what kind of social interaction in the work environment, etc.), factor in disabilities that make the person unable to do certain tasks (alphabetizing if dyslexic, cash register if dyscalculic, etc.) and then think through what employers can provide that type of work environment while not expecting things person cannot do.

With diagnosis, the county board of disabilities should have transition services. Major cities will also have job coaches who specialize in autism who can help with employability coaching and placement. 

So for instance if someone does not want to be too customer forward and likes a quiet environment, a library job would suit. As the others suggested, volunteering is a strong way to get a foot in the door for these jobs. So find 2-3 things the person might find reasonably tolerable and then try volunteering at one.

Remember, the basics still apply. We enjoy doing what we can do well. If you pick something, anything, and do it to some level of proficiency, it will probably be adequate. 

-coffee barista

-grocery cart worker

-shelving in store (grocery, target, etc.)

-library

-anything with plants

The college thing is really a distraction, because the majority of people with autism are underemployed even with college degrees. The real question is where the person can work that fits their comfort (environmental needs, self regulation needs, etc.) that will offer the level of support the person's disability requires. The higher the level of support needed (2 and 3) the more likely you really need to be looking for autism specific employment. 

With my ds, I think a lot about stress level. Having a low stress environment is a major factor in staying regulated and able to work. It's very possible your person will gravitate to lower stress situations, which means that some places that might otherwise be good (fast food, prison guard, etc. etc.) are possibly going to move down the list. Now if they thrive on some stress and can stay regulated, fine. But if there's anxiety or if stress is just going to make the work averse, then lower stress is better. A lower stress job they will GO to is better than a higher stress job that pays better.

Lowe's and Home Depot could be good jobs for some people. The pace is slower and it's moderately social. Would your person rather work at night? Would they like CLEANING? Cleaning can be fabulous for some people on the spectrum. They're going to need some structuring/support/mentoring to figure out things (how to know enough vs. too much, time, etc.), but cleaning could be fabulous for your person. Pays well, is repetitious, is quiet, is semi-social, could be done as an independent contractor or working for a supportive employer, can be done with unusual hours if they prefer nights, etc.

7 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Cake decorating

Grocery stores have jobs in their bakery where people do this. Also cookie shops that decorate cookies will probably hire people. Might be harder to get in there, but that's back to using your county board of dev disabilities to get some doors to open. But for using her artistic skills in a quiet, low stress environment, the LoriD list was really great.

It's ok to start somewhere, knowing it could lead to other places. I have an aunt who has worked in a grocery decorating cakes. She got that as an older adult, and I suspect some jobs like that really defer to someone with some age. So you're just looking for a START, a good experience, something they can do in peace, with low stress, to get some recommendations that open other doors later. I also know someone who got a job sewing (as in operating a sewing machine) in a small business that made whatever it was items. Factory sewing like that would not be terribly loud, would be moderately social, and would have repetition to build proficiency. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Prison is a good option if you are cut out for that. College is also not needed to promote and it gives you a salary well over average (where I live anyway). 

I’m sorry but this reads so hilariously. 😄 “Not cut out for the work-a-day world? Go to prison! Meals provided, no degree necessary and free medical care!” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

2 hours ago, bookbard said:

You can do an undergrad (3 years) in any discipline and then do the 2  years Speech Path masters degree at Charles Sturt - so you could start with a science degree and see how you go - after 3 years you could decide whether to do Speech or Vet science. 

Ooh thank you 

I didn’t know this 🙂 

• Like 1

I second EMT/medic. Dd doesn’t make a whole lot hourly right now, but she works multiple stations with various call loads, so she gets a lot of experience in some places and a lot of rest at others.  
My kids got certified for free through volunteer positions (one semester long course) and paramedic tuition is paid by some companies, plus a paycheck for attending the 18 month program. Of course that varies by company.

Other type of idea that doesn’t have to be this specific - I’m still open to entrepreneurship with my kids, and specifically my chain-trained barista. She has what it takes to make a successful, independent spot and it doesn’t have to cost as much as a degree. We continue to talk about it, but she doesn’t have both feet in just yet.

A common thread in my circles is insurance work. Dh got up to executive level in commercial property with an unrelated degree. My ex is in life insurance without a degree. My sister is starting her own company after a few years in health insurance and no degree. We have friends in auto insurance making a solid amount of money.

Retail management *can* be a solid route because of the turnover in lower level positions. It does take a certain personality though.

Inventory services can be great for introverts with flexible internal clocks. I loved doing internal inventory in retail, but personally wouldn’t be able to do overnight hours for an independent service. 10pm-2am is my sweet spot for sleep.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tenaj said:

Not glamorous but my son got an internship at 18 with a trucking company.  

There are many jobs in the logistics industry that you can work towards (or that is the case here)

Logistics scheduling of trucks / rail

Redistribution scheduling

Freight forwarding

Receiving / dispatch in a warehouse

Running a bagging plant

Etc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Here, phlebotomy is several months, but the others you listed are 18m to 3 years, plus exams. 

Same. Very intensive. The fail out rate for paramedic school is high in our area - students just not academically prepared - and the pay is NOT remotely commensurate with the job responsibility. Average salary of $42,000 a year. So I would be cautious about recommending paramedic school as well as phlebotomy which also seems to have a high fail rate unless the student has excellent study skills.

Large engine diesel mechanic is an AAS. It is a very good job in our agricultural state.

Welding is also an AAS, and now requires two semesters of physics (trig based), plus metallurgy, and a few others more difficult courses. But the pay is fantastic if a person graduates the program.

We have very, very little anymore that pays well, has health benefits, and is more of a career type trajectory. Electrical journeyman programs are very very picky, and of every 200 who get admitted, only about 12-13 of them will make it. It is quite an intense program, and though hands on, the coursework portion of it is difficult, requires a tremendous amount of study skill, and the licensing exam is not for the faint hearted.

I think that if a student could catch on with a drywall and paint crew, they can make a decent living and these jobs just require apprenticeship in an informal way. However, there are very few contractors here who employ them full time with benefits. Plus, most folks start having rotary cuff problems in their shoulders by mid-forties, so something else needs to take its place. Something about the repetitive motion of painting and sanding causes it.

The schools pay very well for custodial services if one can get the job. People here will do that for decades so often waiting for someone to retire in order to apply is common. However, it does come with good benefits if you can land the job. 

CNA and medical assisting comes to mind. The pay has gone up recently, and the hospital and nursing homes offer health insurance.

Honestly, I think this stuff is going to be very state specific. Some non are free programs are still really academically intensive in states with heavy regulation of those industries. So much is not federally regulated so it is consistent nor is it reciprocal between states.

One option, if the OP's state has a robust Department of Natural Resources, is to look at what is required to get in with them. Michigan has a marvelous DNR. They hire seasonal every year which is how a lot of folks get their start - April through October - but the pay is competitive, and if one does well, eventually full time is offered. Wonderful career, government bennies. They look for folks who have a passion for the outdoors, are physically fit for all the hiking, and have some base knowledge of the state's resources.

Also, the postal service requires the VEA exam, and the fail rate is roughly 80%. There are online practice exams which can definitely help with preparation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know you said no college, but the local community college where my daughter takes classes has a paid track (basically like an internship) in machining. I wish my youngest would be interested in it. Maybe something like that? Paid a salary while in school (also paid for) and with a job lined up after a couple of semesters. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

• auto painting (A neighbor suggested this. I don't know much about it but am intrigued.)

Along the lines of auto painting is graphic installation, which includes sign design and installation, auto graphic wraps, etc. It's very hands on, and can incorporate many different construction elements but doesn't have to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Programs for senior adults, both assisted living and daytime only, often hire non-degree people for leading activities here. 

YMCA childcare for preschool and school age kids often includes planning and leading art activities. 

Admin/support help for a decorator or wedding planner?

Retail craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

My dd is working through her pre-apprenticeship course for building and construction. She's aiming for a cabinet making apprenticeship, possibly doing an extra year on top to get qualified as a carpenter. She's always wanted to be a builder, but has developed a love of joinery and wants to get into heritage restoration. She's got a work experience elective through school next year as well, with a few placements falling through (the builder realised he'd promised the place to his daughter's boyfriend and the heritage cabinet maker didn't feel like doing the paperwork) so she's going to hit up a plasterer who does heritage work because that'd be a good bit of stickybeaking too.

She lives in a town with a heritage trade centre, which we only heard about when she was offered a scholarship for a weekend course with one of the country's top furniture makers. They get all excited when young people show up. Last time she was there for a coopering course, a guy running a carving class spent the whole lunch break talking to her about stuff. So, if your teen has any inclination towards trades, there is room to develop into fancy stuff. Ordinary work puts bread on the table, but it also provides skills to be creative with.

Very cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

DS swore he wouldn’t go to college either but two years out looking for promising jobs with upward mobility with no real success, and now he’s in college.

Same for my oldest son. My husband did the same thing years ago, going to college for the first time at 30.   

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 4

We live in an area where landscapers, gardeners, caretakers, and arborists make good money relative to the state average.  There is the option for advancement as well, as young people will typically pick up their own clients over time, usually "given" to them by their boss.  Eventually many of them go out on their own.

Lobster fishing and sternman jobs are well paid hard work, though to have your own boat and traps is more complicated than working for someone else.

• Like 1

Paraprofessional in public school or school for special Ed students . Pay is not great but it’s a good job for some people. Here there are different levels with different pay (1:1 aides make much less than teaching assistants). Lots of opportunity for crafty stuff (laminating, making manipulatives, tasks cards, etc). Good school districts include benefits & trainings.

After having training one can also work evenings with adults with disabilities or provide respite in the community too.

Or in home care worker at homes for adults with developmental disabilities. That’s a state job in my area.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Not art skills, but EMT and paramedic programs generally don’t require a degree. Some states it’s an AAS, though, but it’s a very technical hands on program.

I don’t know any full time paramedics in my area making less than six figures, but that accounts for mandatory overtime built into 24 hour schedules. EMTs are running around $65,000 in my high tax but LCOL area. Also, the rate of neurodiversity, especially ADHD, among EMS professionals is pretty high.  We are generally a pretty accepting lot of people.

Also, phlebotomy, X ray tech, ultrasound tech,  and CNA programs, at least in my area, are not college programs but short technical certificate programs.

One of my cousins went to welding school just for the art aspect. It was a several month night program, and now she creates metal sculptures as a hobby.

I thought I'd add that I work for a blood center, and they actually train for phlebotomy if you get hired. So that may be worth looking into for kids that want to avoid paying for training.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

This teen in particular is absolutely not going on to college. I wish it were otherwise--teen is competent and bright enough. But teen will not consider it. 

Is college out of the question permanently, or this a capable teen who is pushing back hard on it.

For someone who loves kids, I think that preschool/daycare teaching can be a great introduction to a career.  Many people who choose these fields eventually find it frustrating to make little, or not have control of the classroom, and rethink the idea of getting a degree.  

Nannying is another field that pays well in some areas, although eventually many people need a long term plan that's less physically demanding.  

Honestly, I don't think a teenager needs a "career".  I think that a job that is stable and pays enough to live on while they explore can be a fine step. Especially if the kid is capable of college, and doesn't want to go.  

• Like 2