Menu

Does your username still “fit” you? Just curious.

Hilltopmom

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Yes, this. I pause when people ask me how many kids I have & never know quite how to answer. It’s tough.

Our daughter was just a tiny baby when she passed - less painful, I’m sure. But we hear often, because we have 11, why not an even dozen surprisingly often. It’s fairly bittersweet and awkward, even 20 years later. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 14

Yes. I think it was several years ago that some switch was made here, and we all had the opportunity to change our usernames (am I remembering that correctly?). Any way, at that time I realized that I wanted a name that would always fit me and couldn’t possibly change. On many websites, I have frequently used a username that referenced a place where we only lived a few years. So I chose my birthstone. That can’t possibly change right? Cuz I’ll always have been born in February. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

I have always thought you chose that name because you are a Dr. King fan, or maybe you liked milk and were bad at spelling. 

I always thought it was “milk” abbreviated and she made it when she was bfing twins and felt like all she ever did was feed the babies. 

• Like 2

Now we need a post where we all explain our usernames.  Because last week I learned that @hjffkj doesn't have six kids named Hildegarde, Jethro, Fiona, Francis, Kevin and Jed like I assumed.  And this week I learned that mlktwins was not expressing either milk or her love of civil rights heroes, and that KungFuPanda is in fact not a panda.  So, now, I'm wondering who else I am making inaccurate assumptions about.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 21

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

Our daughter was just a tiny baby when she passed - less painful, I’m sure. But we hear often, because we have 11, why not an even dozen surprisingly often. It’s fairly bittersweet and awkward, even 20 years later. 

That’s so sad. I have had a lot of people assume my youngest was a caboose surprise baby because it goes girl, boy, 5 year gap, boy. So my “surprisingly often” thing is that people assume we had a girl and a boy, were “done”, and then got a surprise caboose boy. Nope. There should be another daughter in that 5 year gap. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Mine is a German fairy tale by Theodor Storm. Still fine.

Even though I know this is not your IRL name, I always imagine it is. I’m also sure I say it wrong in my head but I think of it as related to a Regent, so I think “Ree-Jen-trood”. I think you clarified this before though and I was wrong. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lawyer&Mom said:

Sometimes I regret putting my job in my username because it might seem overly careerist or something, which was so not my intention, but Lawyer&Mom is truly my whole identity.  Put it on my tombstone.  It’s me. 

Whenever you respond in a thread that has a legal issue in it, I think, “Well, she is a lawyer, so…” 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Now we need a post where we all explain our usernames.  Because last week I learned that @hjffkj doesn't have six kids named Hildegarde, Jethro, Fiona, Francis, Kevin and Jed like I assumed.  And this week I learned that mlktwins was not expressing either milk or her love of civil rights heroes, and that KungFuPanda is in fact not a panda.  So, now, I'm wondering who else I am making inaccurate assumptions about.  

If I were going by kids names it'd be Srppcf. It doesn't quite roll of the tongue the same way.

• Haha 13

Yep,

It used to be Tap, Tap, Tap but when they switched the board format years ago, we couldn't use commas anymore, so I shortened it. 

Tap#1- an abbreviated form of my childhood nickname

Tap#2- one of my favorite things when rearing children. When you are holding a baby up to your chest, and you are patting thier back.....they pat your shoulder too. ((Swoon))

Tap#3- the Tap, tap, tap of the keyboard as I type.

• Like 15

35 minutes ago, Baseballandhockey said:

And none of them are named Jed?  I just picture you with a kid named Jed.  

Haha, nope. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned all their names throughout the year but don't want to post them all together because then I'd be easily identifiable. I can't imagine another set of 6 kids with my kids interesting names. I don't mind privately sharing if you pm me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

How do you pronounce "slache?" Is it 'slash' or 'slack' or something else? Just wondering what this boy observed about you for nickname purposes. 😄

It rhymes with the letter H. It's actually short for DeSlacheable and is complete nonsense. All of the nicknames were.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Haha, nope. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned all their names throughout the year but don't want to post them all together because then I'd be easily identifiable. I can't imagine another set of 6 kids with my kids interesting names. I don't mind privately sharing if you pm me

No I must know.  I will pm you.

I have kids with boring names.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

Even though I know this is not your IRL name, I always imagine it is. I’m also sure I say it wrong in my head but I think of it as related to a Regent, so I think “Ree-Jen-trood”. I think you clarified this before though and I was wrong. 

It's pronounced more like "ray-gan -trood- a". 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Yes.  Laura is my first name and Corin is a family surname - neither my maiden name nor my married name.

ETA: here are some legends attached to the name, for fun.  My mother's family is from Devon/Cornwall.

http://hector.davie.ch/corin/Corin_A.html

I am supposedly very distantly related to the Brontes

http://hector.davie.ch/corin/Corin_M.html

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

I hope so. I need mercy more than ever and hope to show kindness to others. Not my real name. 😉 

Well, Mercy suits you so well, if I ever meet you IRL, I’m bound to call you Mercy, whatever your real name is. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Literally true. I have met Hj IRL and her kids have fabulous names! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I changed mine a few years ago.  Before that it was my original aol email (without the @ aol part) from the 90's since I tended to use that everywhere.

I guess it's relevant, my name is still Dorothy.    I used to hear "Where's Toto?"  a lot in school.   It was an awful name to have every year when they would show the Wizard of Oz on tv.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine is just my WTM identity.   I first heard of Gone with the Wind when I was in high school. A family friend and a teacher both told me I favored Vivien Leigh and I said, who is that?  Then the movie came on tv and other people said the same thing.  It isn’t a nickname that really stuck though.  I wanted something that did not really identify me currently. 

• Like 5

Yes, mine does. 

Count me as another who reads @mlktwins as “milk twins” and assumed it had something to do with twins and milk/eating 😁 I mean, in my mind, I *knew* mlk could easily have an “i” in there if it was really milk, but my brain would stop there and just go right back to reading it “milk twins” soon after. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Mine is just my WTM identity.   I first heard of Gone with the Wind when I was in high school. A family friend and a teacher both told me I favored Vivien Leigh and I said, who is that?  Then the movie came on tv and other people said the same thing.  It isn’t a nickname that really stuck though.  I wanted something that did not really identify me currently. 

I always think of you as Miss Scarlet from the game Clue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Nope!  When I joined the forum years ago, I thought for sure that we had completed our family with our four kids and were definitely done.  I remember that when I picked my user name, there was a caution not to make a name with the number of kids as it could change.  I remember laughing to myself at that -- knowing that for sure, we would have no more kids.

Well, four years ago, we adopted my cousins two little ones -- now I am mommy to 6.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Eos said:

I pronounce and think of hjffkj as "Hefjeeki"  And yes, I always get an image of nursing twins and Dr. King with mlktwins. This is a fun thread.

Ha. Well I just say the letters or just the first 2 hj. Funny enough, my brother who was there when this username was created (I was 12) was reminiscing about stuff and mention that username and could actually remember it even though he hasn't seen or heard it in at least 20 years. He was not aware that I still use it.

• Like 2

Not really. 

I mean, I created it when I had a run-in with a guy in an airport, who then tracked my email down and started sending me unwanted messages (DH was able to stop that, but it creeped me out). So, I went in and edited my blog at the time and gave us all nicknames based on interests (mostly which don't still hold). DH was/is The Chemist, I was/am The Reader, then the kids were The Writer, The Artist, and The Adventurer. 

I don't really read a ton these days, and it's certainly not my top hobby anymore, although I still do of course enjoy time with a good book. It's just not how I'd identify/describe myself these days. 

DH is still a chemist, more or less.

The Writer is now........mostly doing other things, not writing. 

The Artist is now writing, mostly. 

The Adventurer has become quite a good artist and that's his current passion.  (hmm, maybe then The Writer will return to his Adventurer roots....that would be a good path for him, if he'd just choose it). 

Before that I was Texas(MyName) and then Texan In Brazil. Those parts will always fit (I mean, I'm back in TX now, but Brazil is still with me). 

• Like 7

Corn farming is what my family did when I was small. It's what my grandpa did most of his life. Favorite memories from my childhood include making corncob dolls, selling corn from the back of a pickup, thinning rows of corn, sitting on grandpa's lap to drive the tractor while plowing, and lying on my back in the cornfield talking with my sister when our family was discussing leaving the farm and adventuring off into the world.

It's an appropriate family symbol, and I like it.

• Like 11

I had no idea how my user name came across 🤣🤣🤣!!! Hilarious!!!

After a lot of effort, I actually did not have much luck feeding my guys -- LOL.  Your guesses couldn't be further from the truth 😋!!!

Don't be surprised if you see a change in the near future 😎!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mine still fits though I didn't choose it. I was Floridamom for ages here which would still fit. I'm still in Florida and still a mom, though both ds and dss are adults. There's a member here who was trying to think of my screen name and couldn't but she knew it had something to do with Florida. She called me Lady Florida in a post - this was before you could tag members. I loved it (and her) so I changed from Floridamom to Lady Florida. It sounds regal though I'm anything but regal 😄 I'm still Floridamom on a few other social media sites.

• Like 6