Menu

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes

saraha

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes?

• Whaaaat? Why would anyone do that?
    • Sure do!
  2. 2. If yes, where are you from?

3. 3. If no, where are you from?

Ok, so I messed up the poll and can’t figure out how to fix it 🙄 or delete it. But please let me know because I have to win! I mean show my in-laws we didn’t make this up 😆

Dh’s family thinks I’m nuts, but homemade noodles on mashed potatoes is a regular occurrence at family get togethers, have you heard of this?

Edited by saraha
Apparently I can’t make a poll

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't do the poll, because the "homemade" part doesn't apply, but, yes, eating chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes is yummy. Always with chicken, though, or sometimes beef, but not just noodles and potatoes. And it's a very rare thing, featuring too many carbs, but definitely delicious. I live in the Midwest; it's a regional thing, I think. I've definitely seen it at Amish restaurants. DH's Southern-born grandmother would make chicken and dumplings (noodle-like), for Thanksgiving, which were eaten with the mashed potatoes.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I totally grew up on that! Sunday was roast chicken. Monday was chicken and noodles. The potatoes stretch the meal to feed hungry farmers. The real question is: do you include celery and carrots in your recipe or are you a purist?

Purist all the way for big family gatherings,  but if I’m making noodles or dumplings for us not involving the mashed potatoes, carrots, celery and onion get involved

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Carbs upon carbs. Diabetes city. 

It's a real thing, and it's always egg noodles of some kind--very floury ones or homemade. I am from PA. Our family didn't eat it that way until someone else made it, and we liked it. 

I couldn't eat it now. Diabetes city is right.

Ours was usually chicken noodles with carrots and celery. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saraha said:

Dh’s family thinks I’m nuts, but homemade noodles on mashed potatoes is a regular occurrence at family get togethers, have you heard of this?

Of course you eat them together, mercy. You need the weight of the happy chickeny noodles to contrast with the marvelous fluff of perfect mashed potatoes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

do you include celery and carrots in your recipe or are you a purist?

Whoa, you're getting into sin there.

Seriously, I've never seen anyone put carrots or celery in their noodles. That would be sort of defiling. The amish around here don't do it either, at least that I've seen. The wildest I've ever gotten is trying a braised chicken broth that is darker and really divine. It's good, but reality is people like just the normal. 

3 hours ago, Junie said:

google tells me that it might be an Indiana thing.

Yeah, totally normal in Indiana and Ohio. Amish, non-amish. The church picnic I went to last week had a HUGE crockpot of noodles and mashed potatoes right beside it. 

Now sometimes someone will bring noodles for say 4th of July and there won't be mashed potatoes. That does happen and that's Indiana, up into Michigan. But it's hot and nobody serves mashed potatoes when it's hot out, right? So there, yeah, not served with mashed potatoes. But normally, just in general, they're going to both be served. On a buffet, for a family meal, whatever. If you've gone to the trouble of the noodles, you'll be serving mashed potatoes.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

I've never heard of it and it doesn't sound appealing but if offered, I'd try it. 

But, as for "carbs upon carbs"... I would assume that despite there being two carbs in the dish, people would eat it in typical amounts for either main or side dish. So if one normally ate, say, 1/2 cup of one or the other in a meal, a person would eat 1/2 cup of them mingled together. So, really, the same amount of carbs, right? 

• Like 2

Southeast

When you say "noodles on mashed potatoes," I imagine just exactly that: cooked egg noodles, like from the Mueller's bag, over mashed potatoes; that seems very odd, and I've never seen or heard of that.

But it sounds like when you say "noodles," you actually mean something like stewed chicken with noodles. I still haven't had that, but it sounds good. 

Usually when we fix noodles, they're a base for something like Swedish meatballs, or else they're in chicken soup. Sometimes they're a side dish, served buttered, like mashed potatoes or rice: just the starch for that particular meal.

If I were to make stewed chicken, I'd be more likely to serve it over biscuits, or (more often, but a meatier, less brothy version) as filling in a chicken pie. I wouldn't include noodles, because there's another starch: the bread or pie crust. And, because it just wouldn't occur to me. Clearly I didn't grow up in the right area for that!

Farmer food, great for the early lunch before they had a long, hard day ahead. Not sure it's because of poverty, just staple foods of the working class. Many Ukrainian foods are made with noodles and potatoes, so I don't find the ingredients odd. It's no big deal, compared to the local town famous creation called the garbage plate. Potatoes on top of mac&cheese and baked beans with a weiner or burger or sausage plopped on top then  spicy meat sauce poured over it with a drizzle of mustard. It's not attractive, pretty good at the right food joints, but I've never seen a farmer eat it.

Edited by Idalou
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Bob Evans has great chicken and noodles, and has an option to get it over biscuits and mashed potatoes.

I usually do a slow cooked chicken (or, more often, the remains of a rotisserie chicken, since only two of us eat meat at all) and veggies as soup with noodles the first day, and then over biscuits or potatoes the second day. By that point, the noodles have basically dissolved and it’s chicken with a thick gravy. 

• Like 2

I grew up eating this and still make both homemade noodles and mashed potatoes but no longer serve them together.  My paternal grandmother taught my mom to make it, and she was from Pennsylvania.  It was ALWAYS served with buttered carrots. 
Lots of Amish restaurants we’ve visited serve it this way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danae said:

I associate it with the Ohio-Indiana area.  

Which is why this area is utopia. 😄 Perfect weather (never too hot or too cold) and good food. 😂

12 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Bob Evans has great chicken and noodles

They're from Ohio. 😄 

30 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

When you say "noodles on mashed potatoes," I imagine just exactly that: cooked egg noodles, like from the Mueller's bag,

Those are very thin, perfect with gravy and meatballs, not at all what you'd use for "noodles" on mashed potatoes. As you say, when someone says they're bringing/making "noodles", it's usually going to have chicken cooked down first, and they're going to be homemade noodles with some heft. That's why you get the contrast between the weighty homemade noodles and the fluffy mashed potatoes, yum, yum.

There can be a range on the noodles (how wide you cut them, how thick you roll them, etc.) but for this they're definitely homemade and heavier. If you're trying to buy them (which I've done in a time crunch or when sick and needing to just get it done), something like https://www.maryyodersamishkitchen.com/our-store/noodles/  will do. 

1 hour ago, Ailaena said:

Never seen anything quite like this but aren’t pierogis just potatoes and pasta?

I like potatoes and I like pasta but I don’t like pierogis so I’m not sure I would like mashed potatoes and pasta together.

That's an interesting point. I like gnocchi in soup but I'm not super huge on pierogies either. I think it's a texture thing. My grandma would whip the potatoes SO high and fluffy that it was just this pillowy, heavenly bed for the noodles and broth to lie down onto on your plate. Remember too, at that point she's not needing to make gravy to go with the potatoes because the chicken nails that. 

If you whip your potatoes enough (you really have to leave them in the mixer a LONG TIME), it's not like they're so dense and heavy. Maybe that's why the carb effect is not so bad? We're not talking cafeteria line heavy potatoes here, lol. You have to make the potatoes right too, lol. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I need an option for “never heard of it but would happily eat it, gotta recipe?”

Same, lol. 

9 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I've not had this, but I recently discovered (accidentally) that roasted potatoes on mashed potatoes is amazing. I don't count it as carbs-on-carbs since it's the same carb. 😇

I'm going with this idea, since it also applies to that time I crumbled up potato chips on top of my mashed potatoes (the sour cream and cheddar ruffled chips). 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, marbel said:

I've never heard of it and it doesn't sound appealing but if offered, I'd try it. 

But, as for "carbs upon carbs"... I would assume that despite there being two carbs in the dish, people would eat it in typical amounts for either main or side dish. So if one normally ate, say, 1/2 cup of one or the other in a meal, a person would eat 1/2 cup of them mingled together. So, really, the same amount of carbs, right? 

I've always found chips (French Fries) with a burger to be a weird carbs plus carbs idea.  But that's considered normal.  Garlic bread with pasta is really common here too.  Or is it just one physically on top of the other that might be weird?

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Farmer food, great for the early lunch before they had a long, hard day ahead. Not sure it's because of poverty, just staple foods of the working class. Many Ukrainian foods are made with noodles and potatoes, so I don't find the ingredients odd. It's no big deal, compared to the local town famous creation called the garbage plate. Potatoes on top of mac&cheese and baked beans with a weiner or burger or sausage plopped on top then  spicy meat sauce poured over it with a drizzle of mustard. It's not attractive, pretty good at the right food joints, but I've never seen a farmer eat it.

I will admit that those garbage plates were fantastic in the middle of a long college night of…um…studying. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I will admit that those garbage plates were fantastic in the middle of a long college night of…um…studying. 

They look the same going in your mouth as coming out of it. Once was enough for me. But those are all foods my kids love so why not pile them in together?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Idalou said:

They look the same going in your mouth as coming out of it. Once was enough for me. But those are all foods my kids love so why not pile them in together?

I’ve never eaten one while sober. 😂😂.  Two of my kids would probably love to try it though.  The other one has food sensory issues and would be horrified. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I've always found chips (French Fries) with a burger to be a weird carbs plus carbs idea.  But that's considered normal.  Garlic bread with pasta is really common here too.  Or is it just one on top of the other that might be weird?

I've always wondered about those too.  Especially the bread with the pasta (although that's heavenly for me). 

My MIL will serve mashed potatoes and potato chips together for dinner.  I always thought that was really weird.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I've always wondered about those too.  Especially the bread with the pasta (although that's heavenly for me). 

My MIL will serve mashed potatoes and potato chips together for dinner.  I always thought that was really weird.  

Crush the chips on top of the mashed potatoes - but only if you like sensory mixing. Like chips on peanut butter and jelly 🙂

• Confused 2

Southwest Indiana here, and this is super common. If you order noodles at our local MCL Cafeteria the next thing you're gonna hear is, "You want that on potatoes?" The "mashed" is understood. You also expect to see both served at any decent (non-summer) dinner party/event, like Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

In Ireland we were frequently served two forms of potatoes on the same plate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Crush the chips on top of the mashed potatoes - but only if you like sensory mixing. Like chips on peanut butter and jelly 🙂

Oh no, that wouldn't work for me!  🙂 

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My husband is from Sandusky, Ohio and is very familiar with this. 

My DH is from the Cleveland area - close to Sandusky - and never heard of this before.  

No, I have never had noodles on top of mashed potatoes.  At a covered-dish type of buffet, I may have had both noodles and mashed potatoes on the same plate, but they weren't prepared and served together.  

I also don't identify from being from any of the locations--in the south, but wouldn't consider it eaast enough to be southeast or west enough to be southwest.

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I've always found chips (French Fries) with a burger to be a weird carbs plus carbs idea.  But that's considered normal.  Garlic bread with pasta is really common here too.  Or is it just one physically on top of the other that might be weird?

It’s not a “it’s weird “ thing for me it’s literally a too much carbs thing. So I get burgers in a lettuce wrap and fruit instead of fries. I don’t eat either pasta or bread so I don’t have substitutions for those. I actually am a bit envious of those people who can eat carbs with no negative effects. 

• Like 3

No offense but that does not sound appetizing at all.  The problem is with mixing two very different textures.  But then again, I dislike mixing foods when I eat.  I know people who mix everything up with their mashed potatoes and eat it that way.  But it isn't served that way.  😛

Midwest.