Menu

What gift(s) do YOU want for the holidays?

PeachyDoodle

I want dh to fix my reverse osmosis water filter so I can tell myself I shut one more door whereby cancer might be coming in. (Probably has no basis in reality, but to satisfy my mind...)

I want to replace my Kitchenaid stand mixer, but I doubt that will happen this year. Mine still works but struggles with dough. 

Beyond that, just any of the books or small items on my Amazon list. ?

• Like 2

I am having a hard time thinking of things I want.  I know I do not want physical things because we will not be established in a new home until at least Spring and I just don't want to acquire more things. But I'm struggling to think of things that I'll want experience wise

• Like 1

I most want DH to take a day and fix all the honey-do things that are on my list because he "organized" my tools into his so I can't get any of it done myself because I can't find anything in that giant mess of a garage of his.

On second thought, a set of pink tools in a pink toolbox with a pink step stool and a pink drill would be great. It would never get taken out of the laundry room and I would always be able to finish my projects myself.  Oh, and PINK scissors with a padlock through the handle to keep kids from stealing them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My first grandchild is due next week and while I'm already in NH in anticipation of the big moment I would like travel funds for Christmas this year so I can visit again soon. I don't suppose there are airline gift cards. ?

Congratulations!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

Okay, I'll probably get flamed for this, but what I really want is a concealed carry class and a pistol. 

I considered this several years ago. I mostly ceased because it is a strict thing where I live and I couldn’t think of a reason it was terribly necessary, so I quit. 

3 hours ago, Quill said:

I want dh to fix my reverse osmosis water filter so I can tell myself I shut one more door whereby cancer might be coming in. (Probably has no basis in reality, but to satisfy my mind...)

I want to replace my Kitchenaid stand mixer, but I doubt that will happen this year. Mine still works but struggles with dough. 

Saw this https://www.qvc.com/KitchenAid-5-qt-325W-Tilt-Head-Stand-Mixer-with-Flex-Edge.product.K46570.html?sc=SRCH

• Thanks 1

I want a Stern.

And one of those big German carousel things that is so delicately balanced that it runs on candle heat.

A gold version of Luther’s wedding ring would be absolutely awesome.

A rather large gift certificate for big spools of Swedish linen weaving yarn would be great.

And the class pet American Girl doll hamster, just because.

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

What is a Stern? I tried Googling and got a bunch of dictionary definitions on the adjective. 

Also by Luther are you referring to Martin Luther, or like BBC Luther? ?

A Stern is a huge German lit up star that you hang in your hall or great room or outside your front door.  I’ve wanted one for ages.

And I meant Martin Luther.  He and Katie wore very symbolic wedding rings that he designed.  James Avery made replicas for a while, but the gold ones are hard to find because they are more expensive than the silver.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

A Stern is a huge German lit up star that you hang in your hall or great room or outside your front door.  I’ve wanted one for ages.

And I meant Martin Luther.  He and Katie wore very symbolic wedding rings that he designed.  James Avery made replicas for a while, but the gold ones are hard to find because they are more expensive than the silver.

Oh, my mother had one of those stars. I wonder if your Santa can find them at Pottery Barn or another place may be The World Market.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quill said:

If the reverse osmosis is beyond repair, you could try a Berkey Purifier. They are supposedly the next best think but it does not filter all the water entering the house.

• Like 2

We no longer exchange gifts with extended family.  Grandparents only give to the kids and now that they are older, just send money.  

I plan to get my wedding ring fixed so that I can wear it again after a couple of years of not wearing it.  And I may buy a new dryer as ours is dying.  

What I plan to ask my family for is a photo shoot (doesn't have to be professional) with at least one picture with all of us in it and then one of each of them posed nicely outdoors.  And then I plan to get large prints made for our hallway.  

We haven't done that in YEARS.  In fact, we haven't had a photo made of all of us together in one shot in years.  It is long overdue.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I want a Stern.

And one of those big German carousel things that is so delicately balanced that it runs on candle heat.

A rather large gift certificate for big spools of Swedish linen weaving yarn would be great.

Are you a weaver too?  How did I miss this??  Or (most likely) forgot this?

Still not ready to to weave linen.  

I have a couple of those carousel Nativity scene things..  They are pretty but honestly a bit of a pain to keep.  Mine's not German though, so perhaps those are better than the cheap knock-offs.   

• Like 1

I want some Ingmar Bergman films. 

DH has given me a couple of bracelets from a set, and I'd like a third. They're perfect for my style and everyday lifestyle.

Ooh, and a bed! We've wanted a four-poster bed for years, but other large purchases have taken precedence. Maybe this is our year! We have a milestone anniversary coming up and might just call it a no-gifts, everything goes toward the bed year. And if that doesn't happen I may have to insist on at least getting a cheap headboard. The bedroom has looked unfinished for way too long.

• Like 2

A weighted blanket and a happy light. And books, or money for books!

BUT, Dh is notoriously weak at gift giving. I will budget to get the blanket and light for myself in January, and be pleasantly surprised if I don't have to.

Mom is getting me a pretty, dressy, white blouse. 

Edited by ScoutTN

A new iPad and a subscription to Piano Games Club.

Also, DD's December cheer schedule is a gift. Once we get past the competition December 1-2, they're back to a normal couple of days a week-and have a full week off around Christmas! I'm sure it will pick up again in January, but knowing that gift of time is coming is awesome.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 1

New measuring cups and spoons. Kids destroy mine. They somehow end up outside for mud pies etc. I just ran over my 1/3 cup in the driveway last week. ?

a good lightly flexible paring knife (another item that’s been destroyed)

a gift card to Mata Traders

featherweight pastry bags, mine got so old they dry rotted. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Haha 1

I want a standing kickboxing bag.   Youngest dd and I will both use it.  I no longer take kick-boxing at dd's TKD dojo because the schedule doesn't work with my classes (or anything else) and we decided to join the Y as a family for the same monthly cost.  But the bag they have set up for all time use at the Y is super-duper light.  I can't hit very hard due to a bad wrist and I'm really not in good shape but it's just that light.   I doubt I'll get one because we really don't have the space (although I can come up with somewhere to put it) and I may not use it that much.

A trip to my favorite used bookstore in Connecticut, with oldest dd.  

I'm considering talking to dh about getting a very simple plain gold band to wear on a daily basis.  My ring is two thin bands on either side of my engagement ring, bonded together.  I can't wear it when I teach my science classes.  I can't get gloves on over it and I can't wear it washing dishes and I don't want to get all kinds of gunk caught in it.    

4 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Are you a weaver too?  How did I miss this??  Or (most likely) forgot this?

Still not ready to to weave linen.  

I have a couple of those carousel Nativity scene things..  They are pretty but honestly a bit of a pain to keep.  Mine's not German though, so perhaps those are better than the cheap knock-offs.   

Those carousel things do look hard to store, and to dust.  And I don’t actually have a great place to display one.  But I have always wanted one anyhow.  So strange.

I am a hobby weaver, and successfully avoided linen for years, LOL, but signed up for a transparency weaving class at Convergence this last summer, and the teacher required a linen warp.  It is even more of a pain than I had heard.  Not only does the yarn hurt your hands, and not only is the tension absolutely crucial because the yarn does not stretch at all, but also even the plied linen curls around itself awfully, making it very challenging to wind on.  Thankfully the warp was a short one, only 3 yards.  

BUT!  The results were so fantastic that I am now hooked on using linen for my figurative work, and I want to try it for crisp patterning with huck lace as well.  So it looks like I’m doomed to need to learn how to handle it better, because it turns out so well.

What do you weave?  Are you going to the next Convergence?  I think it is in Knoxville.  I’m very unlikely to go.

I’d like my car detailed (crunched goldfish and dog hair coating everything!) and also my front windshield replaced. (It got cracked by a flying rock in our last cross country move)

I like the little things too...yummy chocolates, hand creams, GCs, etc.

30 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I can’t cut and paste from my iPad, but anyway, the ring has a crucifix on one side and a garnet (originally a ruby) in the middle.  Great reminder to be patient and to pray, whenever you see it.

I looked it up out of curiosity. This website has a photo of the original ring (Katharina Von Bora's) & a drawing of Martin Luther's wedding band.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I want a Stern.

My DH has the gold Martin Luther’s wedding band. I ordered it from James Avery. Don’t they also have the women’s band in gold?

4 hours ago, Stacia said:

I looked it up out of curiosity. This website has a photo of the original ring (Katharina Von Bora's) & a drawing of Martin Luther's wedding band.

Yes, it’s that first one.  When I first saw this, it was a copy in a historical institute display.  The verbiage is a little different than on the site you posted—the display said that they both wore these, and wore them on their forefingers.  I like that idea because then the Crucifix would always be exactly in view, and remind me to be patient and that I can trust Jesus.  

1 hour ago, May said:

My DH has the gold Martin Luther’s wedding band. I ordered it from James Avery. Don’t they also have the women’s band in gold?

I have not checked lately, but over the last 8 years since I first saw the design have looked several times, and JA was not making them anymore.  I should probably keep looking to see if they start again, but in the meantime have been keeping an eye on EBay.  Have only seen silver ones for quite a while.

I normally drive my family crazy by not wanting anything in particular, but this year I'm very excited to be getting a couch!  

Our comfy little love seat that I bought on sale at Salvation Army for $27.50 over seven years ago is really, really done in.  My parents offered to put some money towards a couch for our Christmas gift, and I am paying for the rest of it out of some personal/birthday money.  I found a really cute sectional on sale.  It will be the first time we have ever had a piece of furniture new from the store.  And we will all be able to sit on it together at the same time!

• Like 8

It was hard to come up with anything this year because I actually already have everything I could want. My kids will make a donation for me to Day's End Farm Horse Rescue, which is the perfect gift and makes me happy. But dh gets cranky if I don't give him ideas for actual, physical gifts that he can wrap up and give me, so I made this list:

a bitless bridle for one of my horses

a big maple cutting board

a few Le Creuset and Staub items

some books by Sy Montgomery (a newfound favorite author)

a couple books on horsemanship (to add to the hundred or so that I already have ?)

• Like 1

My Christmas gifts came/are coming a bit early this year; DH planned ahead well ?: one, a new kitchen that is functional, pretty, and cleanable, and two, the obvious, so nothing is going to compare to those. But if I were asking for anything, it would be new sneakers, a new comforter/bedspread, and a new soft structured baby carrier since my Ergo wore out, but I pretty much have to pick out all of those things myself.  Maybe some general clothes like t-shirts, but my tastes are super simple, and since I’ll be newly postpartum, I probably won’t bother for a while. 

I do want a specific piece or two from my favorite semi-local potter, but again, I’ll have to pick that out myself and will probably do so in a couple of weeks at his annual holiday show.

Edited by happypamama