Menu

what are you hoping to get for Christmas?

ProudGrandma

Noise cancelling speakers, a good book, snow boots, cardigans, mats for in front of sink and stove, comfy hoodie, new waffle maker(this is a double gift because dh is the one who actually makes the waffles not me. I just like them.) Some spending money. Some new tops or gift cards/money to buy some.

I know I will likely get most of these because my in laws buy a lot and stick to wish lists.

• Like 1

Nothing as grown ups typically don't get presents in our family.  However, my dad already gave me money for Christmas which is not the norm and I am very thankful for it.  If I were actually getting something I would be hoping for new maternity clothing as mine have seen better days and I could go for a haircut.  I am also in very much need of a new bedding set.  I would also love some fancy chocolate or candy.  Here's dreaming though.  :lol:

• Like 2

Nothing as grown ups typically don't get presents in our family.  However, my dad already gave me money for Christmas which is not the norm and I am very thankful for it.  If I were actually getting something I would be hoping for new maternity clothing as mine have seen better days and I could go for a haircut.  I am also in very much need of a new bedding set.  I would also love some fancy chocolate or candy.  Here's dreaming though.  :lol:

yay money!!!

woot!

• Like 2

I got my gift today - DH took all the kids to work with him this morning.  His employer lets them bring kids in the last day before Christmas, and they get pizza and cookies and games and crafts to do.

Since the housework was done, the cookies and treats made, the laundry caught up, the gifts bought and wrapped, and zero school planning that needed to be done... I had a completely guilt free day to do whatever the heck I wanted to do.  I told DH that I don't think I've felt that free since we've had kids.  I took a bath, gave myself a mini-facial (why I don't know there's like no difference), watched episodes of The Office on Netflix, and played Call of Duty.

It was amazing.

• Like 11

Oldest son is painting me a picture for my office.  It will be about 3x2 and a picture of our school's mascot and school's name on canvas.  Dh made the frame and stretched the canvas on it.

I also want my wedding ring resized.  It won't be in time for Christmas as he hasn't taken it in yet!  GRRR.

Other than that I wanted to kick everyone out of the office, get rid of our giant desk that was falling apart, and make it into a sewing/desktop computer room for me!  They did most of the work Wed. and I am using it today!  :hurray:

I’m hoping for martial arts shin guards and maybe focus pads for practicing kicking. I also have CDs, sheet music, and some books on my list.

DH and I aren’t supposed to be exchanging gifts because we’re buying a house and just had to have the transmission rebuilt in my van. I did end up getting him something but I’m not expecting anything from him.

• Like 1

Dh gets me a new book every year: a leather bound edition of a favorite.  So far he's given me things like

Peter Pan

Fahrenheit 451

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn

To Kill A Mockingbird

They're all stories I absolutely adore.  Things I have worn out paperback copies of.  We refer to them as my "jewels", because I don't treasure diamonds and such like I do my books. :lol:

This year he told me he was branching out, getting a locally based story since I have so many of my favorites already.  I'm anxious to see what he will pick.  There are a lot of good books written about the area and I think I'd like any of them.

• Like 3

Hoping for new running shoes. Ghost 10's to be exact. I usually run one "model" behind, but I missed it this time and I'm about to start training for a half marathon...

Oh and a new Grubt Style (military brand) shirt that has the Davy Crockett quote "You may all go to hell, but I am going to Texas"- I know that's not quite right but you get the idea...

Edited by Free Indeed

It's hanging on the wall beside me. Two or three weeks ago, dh and I were having breakfast before the fire at Cracker Barrel and of course we had to look around in the gift shop. We found a snowman wall decoration that we loved, so we got it for our Christmas gift together.

Ds gave me a nice knife set. The men in my family do not wrap gifts or wait until the proper day.

I am not expecting anything else.

• Like 1

Fitbit (will be my first of this kind of thing)

The complete Catherine Tate Show on DVD. I know I'm getting it because DH didn't want to get the wrong thing (ya know, because navigating the uk amazon is so much different than the .com one) so he told me to order it for myself but address it to him. This was THREE MONTHS AGO. I've had to wait THREE MONTHS knowing that is in the house. 

I also told both parents I really want a tattoo, but I think both would find a visa card too boring for Christmas and there's no other easy way to gift that. So I'm not counting on that one!

A pillow, for sure. I ordered two for me and D.

I don't know what F got me, if anything. He went shopping without me, but I don't know what he got or where he went besides toys r us.

We usually don't have gifts for grownups, but this year we are. I took the kids out today to shop for daddy, because it's good for them and i need the help.

We are also doing a thing where everyone makes a list for someone else, instead of a wishlist for themselves. So everyone is going to be surprised.

Nothing that money can buy, but it would be an amazing New Year's present if the pregnancy test I plan to take next week is positive. Realistically, I know the odds aren't great but there are still plenty of women who conceive naturally at almost 41 so I can hope!

Well, it’s definitely possible. We weren’t trying and I very unexpectedly found myself pregnant. I’m just about 8 weeks and if things go well will have this baby shortly after my 40th birthday.

Wishing you luck!

Edited by Rach
  • Like 6

Nothing that money can buy, but it would be an amazing New Year's present if the pregnancy test I plan to take next week is positive. Realistically, I know the odds aren't great but there are still plenty of women who conceive naturally at almost 41 so I can hope!

I naturally and even a bit unexpectedly conceived at 40. Good luck!

• Like 3

After hearing about a few friends' positive experiences and seeing one friend's in action, I would love a Roomba (or knock off). I don't dare to wish for it. We have other financial goals right now, and while it might be in my future, it is it not in my immediate future. 

The real gift would be if both dc play violin for me. It's all I ever ask for because 1) I love to hear my children play and 2) it's FREE. Both kids are in school (one in grad school and one in undergrad) and are broke, lol. They usually give me my heart's desire. I request this for my birthday, for Mother's Day and for Christmas every.single.year. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 6

I hope your wish comes true!!!

Praying for a positive test!!!

I hear you on all accounts. I hope you get your positive!!

Each of my parents gave DH and I $150 ($300 total) that we used to visit them.  DH and I don't do presents to each other (or I guess my sewing machine is for Christmas and b-day... I bought it for myself).  That leaves DS and I'm pretty sure he got me exactly what I wanted, a gift certificate to the fabric/art supply store.

Of course I'm curious about both!

I sure hope you get your heart's desire, if not for Christmas, then soon!

It is rare for me to be so focussed on one thing.  There's a story here.

(Ha, there is ALWAYS a story with me and DH's present selection agonies.)

(Part 4 will be a thread of its own once this apparently ridiculously challenging year is done.)  

• Like 1

I got my big wish for my birthday a few weeks ago (Ninja blender system so I can have a smoothie every morning!! :hurray: ) so I don't even remember if I had asked for anything else. I told my son about a non-dairy chocolate I love, so I'm pretty sure he's getting me that. This is the first year he's used his own money to buy gifts and he's having a ball getting just the right gift for everyone. He purchased a microwave for his grandparents, and since we all live together I will benefit from that. I would love a gift card to get some new clothes. After losing weight a lot of my pants are too loose. Dh always does a great job picking out awesome gifts for me, so I'm sure I will love whatever he gets me.

• Like 1

Well, I know what I’m getting since I picked them out, bought them and wrapped them myself.

I’m getting a rotating cutting mat for quilt squares and a wool ironing mat that I can set up on the table next to me sewing machine. I’m also getting a SS stovetop espresso maker.

Tomorrow, I may pick up some new cups. Middle daughter bought fabric for me when she was in Hawaii. I’m looking forward to some quiet days of coffee-fueled sewing.

• Like 3

I generally just get gifts from my mother but I told her just to get one specific thing this year because I want her to save money for her house painting. Ds8 decided he and ds10 should buy presents for me and each other so I am getting the requested cheap headphones from ds10 and I think chocolates from ds8. I might buy myself a kindle book as well.

A Darth Vader ugly Christmas sweater.   :lol:

And Slytherin pajama pants.   :D

ETA: 

I forgot, I already got one of them - a new quilt for our bed!!!  DH knew I wanted it and then we saw it was on closeout and it was black friday, so we went ahead and ordered it.  

Oh, and both of the above would be from DH, too.  We sometimes do presents for each other, sometimes not.  This year I felt like stuff just jumped out at me that I thought he'd like, so I got him stuff.  And I particularly wanted the three things I have listed, so I'm pretty sure that's what he got lol... he sticks to the list.  :D

Edited by PeacefulChaos
  • Like 1

Well dh and i decided to exchange gifts tonight. I got 20 pairs of socks, I really needed and wanted socks so this is a good thing. A warm hoodie, a weeping angel tree topper. The best gift is a photo book he had made that he wrote letters, quotes, random comments in.

• Like 4

I ordered myself a subscription box, Play! by Sephora. For $10, they send you a box of samples for skin care, hair care, makeup, etc. I love mail and I love samples, so it's just my kind of thing.

I just got my first Ipsy. It sounded more my style than Sephora. I love mine. It was everything I needed.

I hope you love yours.

At this point, all I want is for our missing cat to come home.

(Okay, that's not true. I also very much want my (young adult) kids to find some way to resolve the pain and tension between them. However, that's too big an ask, even for Christmas.)

I hope you find your kitty and that your kids are able to work through their differences soon!

• Like 4