Menu

what are you hoping to get for Christmas?

kfeusse

this year I had two things I actually wanted for Christmas and two things I bought for myself.

I wanted a copy of Frozen on blu-ray (the enhanced version so I can watch it both on TV and on my iPad) and one of those silly little owls with big eyes that hold up your iPad and can be used to safely clean the screen.  I happen to know I am getting both because my middle two kids are getting me Frozen and youngest DD bought the owl.

For myself, I bought a new pair of straps for my skis (to hold them together for storage) and a sling for carrying them.  Unfortunately I cant use them yet because while I normally ski a lot, I am currently laid up here in the recliner recovering from gallbladder removal.  Oh well - winter is long here.

• Like 1

Wait. WHY are people wrapping presents for themselves when they know what’s in them? Do you enjoy the experience of ripping the paper? I think I missed something.

Well, it wouldn't feel much like a present if it wasn't wrapped, would it?

As far as surprises are concerned: Sometimes I have my kids wrap my presents. A couple of years ago I bought myself a book and asked ds to wrap it. He was all like, "You already bought that one a month ago. I know because I wrapped it." We checked and he was right! So as long as your memory is bad enough, buying your own presents does not mean you won't be surprised!

• Like 5

How awesome are awesome sibs, right ? Glad you got what you wanted and needed. On the 'things you can buy at the shop' level, anyway.

I bought him some tri coloured pasta: red, plain and green. CHRISTMAS COLOURED PASTA!! And a jar of chilli paste labelled "Explosive Mixture."

What else could a man need? :lol:

The cool things you can find at the Italian grocery shop if, unlike said brother, you actually go there instead of always just meaning to. :)

Yup. And thanks to poor and indiscreet packaging I know I’m getting one.

Geez. I am pretty sure dh knows he is getting a fly fishing rod. 3 emails right after the purchase of "how do you like your new ...?"

And a picture on the outside carton. He found in front of the door in the dark and knew it was nothing he had ordered so he told me :).

There is a tiny chance he has not figured this out....tiny.

I bought him some tri coloured pasta: red, plain and green. CHRISTMAS COLOURED PASTA!! And a jar of chilli paste labelled "Explosive Mixture."

What else could a man need? :lol:

The cool things you can find at the Italian grocery shop if, unlike said brother, you actually go there instead of always just meaning to. :)

:lol:  :lol:

I'm hoping for a thick cotton terry robe to replace the one I have that is 12 years old and falling apart.  I'd also love a good book to read.  But I'd really like some family togetherness without the walking-on-eggshells feeling and a no-electronics day (Not counting watching a movie together.)  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I already got my Christmas present: a new laptop. The old one is dead. We had our Christmas yesterday, due to the Navy and work schedules. My youngest got me an interesting-sounding book about a German immigrant who flew for the US. She met the guy at the Air & Space Museum over Thanksgiving. And the kids went together and had the article about our 29 years of homseschooling printed at the newspaper, along with a photo of all 5 of them. The older two made arrangements for everyone to go to the Pro Rodeo at Stock Show in January! I think they saw how dh is going downhill. He struggled to keep up with conversations and discussions this week. He did his usual attempt to keep everything about him, but he was just always a bit "off". He'd make some pronouncement and we'd all stop and look at him. Um, that conversation moved on 5 minutes ago, and anyway, you missed the point. He tries to argue about something, but other people have more training in most things, but he's convinced he knows it all. Last night was a very odd evening. He'd try to tell us that HE knew some piece of info about music. Um, no, your dd is finishing a doctorate in music, and you're wrong. And he went off on a tangent about something in biology. Um, no, the woman sitting there with a doctorate in microbiology probably knows more. And he made a pronouncement about bird strikes in aircraft. Yes, you used to run the airport here, but you've never flown, and I think the woman sitting there who does it for a living probably knows more. And the guy who does IT for a living probably knows more about computers. Your ds is trying to be polite, but you're just wrong. So, my Christmas wish was that he'd shut UP and listen for a change. That didn't happen. It's only going to continue to get worse. 

This must be so incredibly hard to watch someone decline like this in front of your eyes. I am so sorry. You have not posted much (or I have missed it) but from what I read things are not looking good. Glad all kids were able to be there this Christmas.

I am not gonna wrap my fudge. Ds can hand it to me straight out of the fridge on Christmas morning, lol

I have a feeling that some things you are hoping for are not those that can be wrapped.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and the fulfillment of those "unwrappable" wishes. Enjoy the fudge!

• Like 1

Yes, it was lovely to have everyone home, though 3 have left already. I know that the MRI is not picking up anything in the brain yet, but there's obviously something there, just not big enough to show up. It's hard--we're all jabbering away, and he makes a statement that just makes NO sense.  He's let the boiler go out every night for weeks now. I'm glad youngest is home for a month and can keep an eye on it. I'm tired of waking up in a house at 50 degrees! I'm hoping we can get the propane furnace on line this next week so it's one less thing to mess with. He obsesses about things, "We can't all go the Stock Show! Who will feed?" Um, any of the neighbors? Middle dd's friend that I invite to dinner 3 nights a week? The girls can drive home (I don't like to drive at night) and it really is doable. 

I hope for a new laptop but I know I'm not getting one.  My almost new laptop (bought in March) got a very small amount of water on it and it evidently fried the motherboard.  We were able to get everything off the hard drive but it was a nice laptop - great size, number keypad, etc.  I loved it and mourn its passing.  I'm using dd's old laptop that the little guys have used whenever we are away from home for the past couple years.   There's nail polish and who knows what else on it, some of the keys stick, the screen is small and no number keypad.    But, a new one is not in the cards at this point in time.  I may resort to using younger dd's desktop if I have a lot of work to do.

What I hope to get and pretty much know I am:  new Brooks sneakers (needed because I'm on my feet for hours teaching my classes and I have plantar fasciitis), yoga socks (that I'll actually wear for kick-boxing), a teapot with infuser and a tea cozy.   

Well, it wouldn't feel much like a present if it wasn't wrapped, would it?

As far as surprises are concerned: Sometimes I have my kids wrap my presents. A couple of years ago I bought myself a book and asked ds to wrap it. He was all like, "You already bought that one a month ago. I know because I wrapped it." We checked and he was right! So as long as your memory is bad enough, buying your own presents does not mean you won't be surprised!

:lol: Good to know my shoddy memory is good for something!

I didn’t ask for anything this year, but in the past week have thought of a couple things I would have liked. Since I haven’t told anybody else that I thought of them, the chances of receiving them are pretty slim. ;) DH and I are not exchanging gifts this year.

I'm hoping for a thick cotton terry robe to replace the one I have that is 12 years old and falling apart.  I'd also love a good book to read.  But I'd really like some family togetherness without the walking-on-eggshells feeling and a no-electronics day (Not counting watching a movie together.)  

I replaced my old thick cotton terry robe with a fleece one from LL Bean, and it's holding up extremely well.  It was more than I would usually spend, but I had a gift card that made it seem (barely) reasonable.  Really glad I got it as I've worn it just about every day for 4 years and it's still going strong.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/502982?originalProduct=90070&productId=1500425&attrValue_0=Elderberry&pla1=0&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&qs=3125142_google&lsft=qs:3125142_google,product:0QUH334004&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvfyti4yi2AIVhbXACh3AWADvEAYYASABEgK7nfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPLsppCMotgCFUv0ZAodRJMORg