Jump to content


Susie in CA

  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Susie in CA

  1. I so appreciate the hard work you are doing. I know at my sons university they are trying to be positive and provide opportunities you describe. The challenge I see from my son is that he is online already hours every day. He just doesn't really want more online structured time. I don't really have a solution. He is currently living on campus, but is re-evaluating if it isn't better to live at home next quarter if he can get all online courses. It is a difficult situation because on the one hand you can't have everyone on campus do whatever they want, however on the other hand these are young people many of whom feel really cooped up (at best) and very bored, lonely and even depressed.
  2. Thanks for your response. You point out some definitive pluses about a four week summer program. It will give ds a chance to practice being away. It will also give us a chance to practice being without him. 🙂
  3. Thank you. I will let him know to ask if he has any questions.
  4. Thank you for your insight. This student will be happy working on projects at all hours. Overall, it sounds like the program will help confirm (or not) his choice which is a good thing. Thanks again.
  5. Yes, we are little bummed about the housing. We are planning a trip there to check out the housing options they do list.
  6. Thank you all for your replies. We really appreciate them! At this point it is highly likely that he will apply! If he attends we will let you know what he thought of it. Thank you so much again!
  7. Hi All, My son is interested in Architecture and found this https://www.summer.ucla.edu/institutes/JumpstartArchitecture program. He would like to attend, but it is not cheap. Does anyone have experience (Or know someone) with it? What do you think? If you don't know the program do you think it is worth the money. In brief what it includes: a chance to study away from home (ds is at the local community college and still lives at home) Learn arch software and design concepts meet and work others interested in the field as well as instructors and guest speakers from the field earn UC credit start creating a portfolio which he does need help with We appreciate your thoughts!
  8. This is fantastic! Thanks for writing this out. I forwarded this to both dss.
  9. Well, we also went back to homeschooling for sport. My ds loved the high school sport, but disliked almost all else. He too is an introvert. We were able to complete high school with a charter school as an independent study student; essentially like homeschooling. He continued with the sport every year and loved it. He, too, had almost all A's at the high school. He never regretted the choice. He graduated last year and is now a full-time student at our community college on track to transfer within two years to a university. He is doing really well. And we are more than happy with the choice he made. For what it's worth I actually made him finish the year probably because I didn't want to 'quit' and I wanted to see if maybe he started liking it after a while. He never did.
  10. It depends on your daughter. My son did in much less time then they allow in one sitting. He was done so early I was nervous that he didn't pass. Well, he passed without any problem the first time.
  11. The placement test seemed pretty accurate to me. Both my sons took the placement test to place into German II as they did already know quite a bit of German. What they were missing mostly was grammar. For that reason, I believe, it was the right choice to put them into German II. There was enough grammar review from German I for them to learn while at the same time they did not have to go through the very basic vocabulary of German I. Neither of my boys took the AP exam; only one took the AP course. However, just as we were ending our journey with OSU online were getting UC a-g approval. I cannot remember which levels. You should definitely check into that, though. A couple of years ago they got approval for, I believe, two of their German courses. Maybe the others got added on in the meantime. It is very self-paced. Nothing is due at any particular time. My sons worked on it completely at their own pace. This was good for one; difficult for the other. Neither of them took the SAT German subject test because we chose to go the community college route. Hope this helps.
  12. We used OSU German 2 - 4. One son also did AP German; though he did not take the AP exam. Overall, we were happy with the program. Both sons took it for level 2 - 4. Both learned a great deal. They are both taking German again now in college and have no problem with it at all. They do not have live classes, however, the program includes weekly skype sessions. The skype sessions are optional at the lower levels and required later on. Even if they are optional I do recommend doing them. Sometimes these sessions merely helped the boys stay on top of things; sometimes they did answer specific questions. Either way it is a good thing to do. The program is very much self-paced. This was difficult for us at times. Overall, I definitively recommend the program. I would use it again. Hope this helps.
  13. She will have a fantastic time and learn so much! Yes, she will be ok. :-)
  14. reflective listening that is supportive of how she's feeling: - "I can hear how upset you are about this." - "Gee, that sounds frustrating." - "Wow, that must be challenging." - "You sound very excited about this. That's great!" - "Sounds like you're doing an awesome job!" encouragement that keeps her in charge: - "How were you thinking of taking care of that?" - "Did you have some ideas for how to get this done?" - "Interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing how you tackle this!" - "Cool! Thanks for sharing about what you're doing for that project." supportive guidance available if she chooses to use it: - "Let me know if there's something I can do to help out." - "Great work! If you feel like you would like an extra pair of eyes on that, I'd be happy to look it over tonight." - "How do you suggest we schedule this? Here are deadlines that the rest of the family has, so we don't run into time conflicts." Thank you Lori D. for the above phrases! I MUST practice these more. :-)
  15. Who's ready for Monday? Mostly ready. Completed grocery shopping today. All gifts are here; just need to wrap. If you are doing a special meal for Christmas,what will it be? Well, on Christmas day we'll be visiting dear friends and have dinner there. We are contributing Scalloped Potatoes. I am considering a quiche for Christmas morning, though I have never made one. Christmas Eve will be our special family dinner at home. We voted and Filet Mignon it is. Plans for the weekend? Mostly spending time with family and friends. On Christmas Eve day we will be going bowling; it's known as Christmas bowling around here. We have been doing this for 18 years. We all look forward to it.
  16. They are both big on clothes this year. We do have that covered. Thanks for the weight plate idea...that brought to mind some exercise equipment.
  17. The car idea is good for one of them. I will look into that. Thank you!
  18. Hello Hive, My dss are 18 and 17. We are stumped for 'fun' non-electronic X-mas ideas. Electronic stuff is easy. What are some cool books or games or.... these days? Any ideas would be very much appreciated. What do your older teen boys like. Thanks, Susie
  19. Yes, discipline is the biggest issue with online classes. Lots of people have a difficult time with self-discipline when they do not have to go in to SEE the professor. However, if you do the work online classes are great. My younger ds (he is now 17) has done several online classes since he was 13 and always received an A. However, he is super disciplined and organized. His brother could never do that and, in fact, says so himself.
  20. I agree that most of this process is gradual. Like you, and others, we have always had conversations about what life might look like as an adult. We, too, used to have a more or less set bedtime for a very long time. Around 16 much of this changed gradually. Dss started go to bed later, when they got their license they went out more often and sometimes later, etc. That said the most important thing we talked about was respecting the family as they grow into adults which simply meant that they let us know where they were going and when they would be home. This way we would not need to worry or wait with dinner etc. When ds graduated from high school and turned 18 last year he decided to speed up this gradual process and simply asked us what his curfew was now that he was 18 and done with high school. At this point we definitively started to have much more of an adult relationship with ds. We told him he didn't have a curfew and to just let us know what he was doing. That summer he did stay out extremely late a couple of times, but after that not much anymore. Is he an adult to us? Not entirely. We do give a lot of advice, however, that advice comes much more from adult conversations. And, of course, he is not required to follow it. In short, the process was gradual at first. In the end it was sped up by ds.
  21. Congrats! They look fabulous. I wish you had them a couple of years ago as we were really struggling with Chemistry. Hopefully, many others will be able to take advantage of your courses.
  22. LOL. He does do this at times as well. I am going to say I have a 60% chance of the stick working and 40 % chance of your described scenario. :-) God help us all. LOL.
  • Create New...