Menu

Help! Need gifts that begin with the letter W

Pink and Green Mom

My nutty SIL is at it again, today (as in 1 week before Christmas) dictating that we will be doing a family gift exchange based on letters. 

We got W (what, was X not available?).  So I have to buy gifts for my other SIL's family that begin with a W.  We are to spend in the "$50ish" range.  They live 1000 miles away, so it needs to be shipped in time for Christmas which probably limits us to Amazon Prime.  Recipients are my SIL and BIL who are 41, and 4 kids - 3 boys (ages 10, 12 and 14) and 1 girl (age 5).  It can be one gift, or several little gifts.  

I figured if anyone could help me, it would be The Hive!

Huh, I just wouldn’t do it. Send whatever you want, she’s not going to know.

What does everyone else think?

But if u want to play along- a copy of the book Wonder and .... I dunno

Trust me, I would rather not do this but DH likes to humor his family.  This is par for the course with them (last minute and wacky).

Trust me, I would rather not do this but DH likes to humor his family.  This is par for the course with them (last minute and wacky).

Oh - he would be doing it then.  I wouldn't play this game.  If this were like $5 white elephants or something but $50 is a significant gift and I'd want to get something they really like. 

• Like 7

https://smile.amazon.com/Complete-Starter-Whittling-Ready-Carve/dp/1565238427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513533636&sr=8-1&keywords=Whittle

https://smile.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow-Basswood-Whittlers-Carving/dp/B0018N9Z72/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1513533636&sr=8-5&keywords=Whittle

https://smile.amazon.com/Gimars-Carving-Vegetables-Beginners-Reusable/dp/B01FGZIVD6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513533636&sr=8-3&keywords=Whittle

I think his family sounds like fun. They sound like my mom and aunt. Unfortuately, my mom and aunt live far away and I'm stuck with rather boring in-laws who would roll their eyes at creative stuff like this.

I'd absolutely get them whittling stuff. The links I found are for a book of whittling projects, some blocks of whittling wood, and some carving tools. If you need to spend more money, get two sets of the whittling wood.

There were a few books to choose from; I linked only one.

The whole family can take some of the wood and whittle. It gives them something to do together or separately if they want to and actually teaches a skill.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 7

Oh - he would be doing it then. I wouldn't play this game. If this were like $5 white elephants or something but $50 is a significant gift and I'd want to get something they really like.

Shouldn't you have suggested that the OP get them....wooly socks?? :)

• Like 15

Shouldn't you have suggested that the OP get them....wooly socks?? :)

:hurray:  Clever!  A box of smart wool socks for the whole family would be very well received here in the upper midwest.  They are cheap on sierra trading (10-15 a pair vs. 20+).  I just ordered some for stockings here. 

But I for real wouldn't kill myself trying to come up with something that would be a fit.   :lol:  My DH really does do the shopping for his side of the family.  

• Like 4

You guys are more creative than me; I just kept thinking "wine." 

Is the $50 the total budget for the whole family (so, BIL, SIL, and kids total) or per person? 

On the assumption it's total, I like the water bottle idea for the grown-ups and then wooden, white, or even wonderful (fill in the blank cool gift) for the kids. Especially the 5 yr old, I'd get whatever I'd normally get and find a way to attach a W adjective to it, because she's not likely to be enthused about something that truly fits the W restriction.

The 3 boys could totally get the whittling stuff and I'd imagine they'd enjoy it. 

Maybe for the 5 yr old Crayola Color Wonders? And just say you're going "last name first"? (if you really want to stick with the theme)

• Like 2

You've gotten some great ideas, I think! 

I would be terribly frustrated at the tight timeline on this project, but I wanted to put in a good word for the basic idea. :-)

Our family does "theme" giving -- my brother and I started it a few years ago just to make things more fun. We like exchanging gifts with each other and didn't want to stop, but we usually aren't together at Christmas. In fact, we usually only see each other's families once every year or so. So it's hard to really know a particular interest or want. Having the theme lets us be creative with it -- something fun rather than something perfect, you know?

We brainstormed a list of 15 - 20 theme ideas. Early in the year (Jan/Feb) my brother runs them through a Randomizer app and announces the theme for the year. Last year was "hot;" this year is "Luddite."

• Like 5

A gift card. Buy what you WANT, and WANT starts with W.

But seriously, I would not participate. I wouldn't even dignify this request with a response, and if your "nutty" SIL hears from the other SIL that you haven't done this, I'd simply say "Sorry, that wasn't possible." (Pro tip: Don't vary your response. Just stick to one line and repeat it with minimal inflection ad nauseum.)

• Like 4

I would be terribly frustrated at the tight timeline on this project, but I wanted to put in a good word for the basic idea. :-)

Sure, but you plan it out in advance and everybody playing along has agreed to it. Sounds like the OP wasn't even consulted. It's not JUST the tight timeline.

• Like 2

I started out reading this thread thinking, "How lame--I'd hate to have to do that!" to "How fun!" after reading some of people's fun suggestions for gifts. Especially since some of the gift suggestions could really be a lot of fun for all members of the family.

ETA: But yeah, the 1 week lead time would definitely bug me!

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 5

No, but they'd go great with the whoopie cushions OP is contemplating. :laugh:

Yes!   You could send them a "makin' whoopie" basket, with a whoopie cushion, whoopie pies and...lingerie?????

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The right kind of lingerie could also be "wedgie"

:leaving:

• Like 9

Wubbles

Water bottles

Weight watchers, LOL

Warrior stuff / books

Weebles

Wooden ___

Wind in the Willows

Wool ___

Window ____

Word puzzles / games

Wands / Wizard stuff for Harry Potter lovers

World Wildlife Foundation stuffies

Whale stuff

World ___

Wraps

Walgreens cards

Writing supplies

Warm ___, Winter ____

• Like 2

I started out reading this thread thinking, "How lame--I'd hate to have to do that!" to "How fun!" after reading some of people's fun suggestions for gifts. Especially since some of the gift suggestions could really be a lot of fun for all members of the family.

That was exactly my response, too. W has a lot more potential than I thought!

• Like 2

Me too! However, I also thought "what do non creative people do without the hive to help them?" Because I would totally fail at something like this without the help of the genius found here.

• Like 3