Menu

Is Moxie horrid??

Moxie

I would make this a poll but I'm on my phone.

Go ahead, be honest, I can take it.

We are currently on vacation. The building we are staying in does not allow pets. We are on the second floor and I was on the balcony when someone on the first floor walked out of a room with 2 cute, crazy puppies (no chance they were service animals). I'm a rule follower and it would piss me off if I stayed in a pet-free room after a dog so I called the front desk and reported him.

My children are split on if I'm a horrid person or not.

Honestly, while I adore pets and one time ended up having to put my pet in a no pet hotel while traveling (I felt terrible but also felt I had no choice), I don't think you are horrible for doing what you did.  There are a lot of people with valid reasons for not being around pet dander and pet dander can stay in a room even when that room is cleaned.  If a person comes to a hotel that does not allow pets they should have a reasonable expectation of there having been no pets in that room.  That doesn't even take into account messes or noises or fur or fleas or any one of a myriad of other potential issues.

• Like 2

Is "report puppies" a euphemism for "literally punched puppies in their puppy faces"? If so, yes. If no, half you kids are wrong.

Lol Tanaqui! I thought it was asking if it's bad to HAVE moxie. 

Is "report puppies" a euphemism for "literally punched puppies in their puppy faces"? If so, yes. If no, half you kids are wrong.

Lol Tanaqui! I thought it was asking if it's bad to HAVE moxie.

I think they know me too well. I'm not a pet person and my house sitter had just texted me about all the dog poop in my yard from my neighbor.

• Like 1

Oh my gosh, I opened this because I am a Mainer and thought you were asking about our Moxie brand soda. Yes, it is horrid. You are not.

Hah, I had forgotten about Moxie!  We used to live in New Hampshire, and, yeah, Moxie is ... unique.  

My brother was a little obsessed with comic strips from early-to-mid 20th century, so I grew up hearing about Moxie, and wondering about it.  I was pretty excited when we moved to NH and I realized I could actually try it out!

Edited to add:  I'm pro-pet, but if a place says "No Pets" then it should be no pets.  Allergies are a thing.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1

I don't think you're horrid.  The more I travel, the more I wish it were like the old days when fewer people brought their pets with them.  There are too many people who think their dog is a special snowflake and everyone should love them.  Uh, no.  The barking/whining/licking gets old after about 2 seconds - not to mention getting mud/dirt on me from the special snowflakes that jump on people.  I'm growing to really dislike dogs.  

Then there's the allergy and/or flea issues, but none of us are allergic so I can't claim that one.

I now absolutely love camping in campgrounds that have "No Pet" areas though.  I also prefer motels that separate the pet people from the non-pet people in different wings so we don't have to listen to the barking.

• Like 7

Nope, not horrid.  I'm allergic.  My sons have a deep fear of dogs. Once upon a time, I cleaned rooms at an inn. It's not ok for pet owners to ignore the rules.  They are not, as much as they might think, the exception to the rule.  

I would report it and I would be thankful to others who did the same.  

• Like 2

That would drive me nuts! We have allergies here AND animal fear, like LucyStoner, and I've rather not spend the while I think sniffling because they think they're special snowflakes and don't count.

I don't think you're horrid. The more I travel, the more I wish it were like the old days when fewer people brought their pets with them. There are too many people who think their dog is a special snowflake and everyone should love them. Uh, no. The barking/whining/licking gets old after about 2 seconds - not to mention getting mud/dirt on me from the special snowflakes that jump on people. I'm growing to really dislike dogs.

Then there's the allergy and/or flea issues, but none of us are allergic so I can't claim that one.

I now absolutely love camping in campgrounds that have "No Pet" areas though. I also prefer motels that separate the pet people from the non-pet people in different wings so we don't have to listen to the barking.

It's so interesting that you say this. I just said this to DH over the weekend, and this is exactly the reason why: Other People's Dogs. The large majority of OPDs I interact with are not at all wonderful, but of course, everyone thinks their own dog is just so awesome that surely their guests will adore their dog just as much as they do.

One time, I attended a Christmas party at the home of some friends. I walked in and was jumped on by their large, Mastiff-like mix dog! And I was wearing a white coat! Two muddy paw prints directly on my party wear. Yes, to their credit, they had my coat cleaned, but it's beside the point. I would not have my dogs milling around a Christmas party at my home.

I have two friends who have dogs I like, and one other friend whose dog I can tolerate. The rest are too busy, too in my way, too slobbery, too hairy or too insane. OPDs have ruined my previous love for dogs.

• Like 3

We like the drink  ;)

As far as the call goes, IMO it's just as bad as someone smoking in a non-smoking room.  If I end up in a room someone smoked in, I will wheeze all night and have to use my inhaler for the next few days - basically I can't stay in the room.  Animals do the same thing to some people.  

Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't go out of my way to report anything, unless it was a crime, I guess. But I also would not have analyzed this too deeply, I'm just not a reporting person. But now as peope are mentioning allergies, this would make sense to report.

My kids recently saw a dog off leash in the leash only area and they wanted me to go and talk to the person. I said, Are you afraid of this dog? They said, no. I said, okay, it is a small dog enjoying the pond on a hot day. Not bothering anyone. Let's just let people and pets enjoy their day.

ETA: I am a dog lover. However, I've been meeting more and more dogs who are horribly behaved. Not their fault, of course.

Edited by 38carrots
  • Like 2

As the parent of a child with severe pet allergies and allergy-induced asthma, I thank you. Whenever we're traveling, we make sure to reserve rooms at pet-free locations only. Spending the night in a room where someone had previously sneaked in their precious pooches could very well land my daughter in the ER.

• Like 2

I don't think you're horrid.  The more I travel, the more I wish it were like the old days when fewer people brought their pets with them.  There are too many people who think their dog is a special snowflake and everyone should love them.  Uh, no.  The barking/whining/licking gets old after about 2 seconds - not to mention getting mud/dirt on me from the special snowflakes that jump on people.  I'm growing to really dislike dogs.  

I now absolutely love camping in campgrounds that have "No Pet" areas though.  I also prefer motels that separate the pet people from the non-pet people in different wings so we don't have to listen to the barking.

I think these exact same thoughts several times a month in the course of my usual errands.  It is very annoying. 

Although, it is very helpful to be able to bring our dog on vacation because kenneling a dog is very expensive and mine came back pretty traumatized the last time we kenneled him just for a weekend.    But, I would never take him shopping or run errands.  What a huge PIA that would be.   Pets do not belong in the shopping mall or grocery store, IMHO.

• Like 3

You aren't horrid, but I wouldn't have reported that.  I would be annoyed, but as long as they weren't pottying in my room or biting my kids or keeping me up all night, I'd leave it up to the hotel people to figure it out.

• Like 3

You aren't horrid, but I wouldn't have reported that. I would be annoyed, but as long as they weren't pottying in my room or biting my kids or keeping me up all night, I'd leave it up to the hotel people to figure it out.

There was a time when I wouldn't have reported it either. However now I am a lot more aware of how debilitating, even dangerous pet allergies can be. I would report it so that the hotel would hopefully deep clean the room. Most people with pet allergies react to the things that aren't readily seen, such as pet dander and small amounts of fur that might be hard to spot. Pooping and peeing and barking and certainly biting can be an issue but those are things the hotel is likely to find out about anyway. it's the hidden allergens that would make me feel I had to report so that the hotel would hopefully be proactive in doing a heavy duty cleaning. And so the people would be far less likely to do it again.

• Like 4

If we're really supposed to be honest then....Most animals I've ever met are better than most people I've ever met, so I'm siding with the puppies and saying yes. I think you're pretty crappy to make a stink about some puppies.

If this is a JAWM thread, then...  oh my yes, of course report the puppies, you amazing citizen and saint, you.

• Like 2

It's so interesting that you say this. I just said this to DH over the weekend, and this is exactly the reason why: Other People's Dogs. The large majority of OPDs I interact with are not at all wonderful, but of course, everyone thinks their own dog is just so awesome that surely their guests will adore their dog just as much as they do.

One time, I attended a Christmas party at the home of some friends. I walked in and was jumped on by their large, Mastiff-like mix dog! And I was wearing a white coat! Two muddy paw prints directly on my party wear. Yes, to their credit, they had my coat cleaned, but it's beside the point. I would not have my dogs milling around a Christmas party at my home.

I have two friends who have dogs I like, and one other friend whose dog I can tolerate. The rest are too busy, too in my way, too slobbery, too hairy or too insane. OPDs have ruined my previous love for dogs.

Totally off-topic, but... This is so funny I laughed out loud because, literally, if you replaced Other People's Dogs with Other People's Children, I could have posted this almost word for word right down to having two big filthy 'paw' prints on a white outfit at a xmas gathering.  Except, I had to pay for my own dry cleaning.

• Like 3

Totally off-topic, but... This is so funny I laughed out loud because, literally, if you replaced Other People's Dogs with Other People's Children, I could have posted this almost word for word right down to having two big filthy 'paw' prints on a white outfit at a xmas gathering.  Except, I had to pay for my own dry cleaning.

If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't be very pleased if people snuck their kids into a Bed and Breakfast or resort that doesn't allow kids.  I've seen it happen since I worked at a B&B that only allowed kids under 12 in a different building than the main house.  Someone always thinks they are the exception.  

We just returned from a 3000+ mile road trip, staying in different hotels along the way.  Many of the hotels had pet rooms, they all just cost about $20 more.  And most importantly, they were far away from our rooms by my specific request.  

Perhaps it's a function of my (admittedly non-neurotypical) son's terror/panic reaction to dogs (we have worked a lot on this over the years and it is less of an issue now than before) but people taking non-service dogs into areas where dogs are specifically prohibited has become one of my biggest pet peeves.  My allergies are annoying but fairly mild and I can take some damn Flonase.  Calming down and resetting my son is an appreciable amount of our time and has, on more than one occasion, altered our plans for an entire portion of the day.  If I've either picked a pet free hotel or asked for a room out of the way of any pet rooms, I expect that to be accommodated.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 8

I probably would have taken a middle ground and ignored the puppies in the moment, but reported it as a complaint on my way out when I checked out. "I thought this building was supposed to be pet free? Why did the people directly below me have puppies?"

• Like 2

If we're really supposed to be honest then....Most animals I've ever met are better than most people I've ever met, so I'm siding with the puppies and saying yes. I think you're pretty crappy to make a stink about some puppies.

If this is a JAWM thread, then... oh my yes, of course report the puppies, you amazing citizen and saint, you.

To be fair, I don't think that Moxie reported the puppies--they can't read to know they're not supposed to be there--but their rule-breaking owners. So, nice puppies, crappy people, just like you said. :D

And I would report, as well as making passive-aggressive comments when we passed the puppies in the hall. "Oh, pets are allowed here? I wish we'd known that when we made arrangements for our dogs to be boarded."

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

If it makes you feel any better I wouldn't be very pleased if people snuck their kids into a Bed and Breakfast or resort that doesn't allow kids. I've seen it happen since I worked at a B&B that only allowed kids under 12 in a different building than the main house. Someone always thinks they are the exception.

We just returned from a 3000+ mile road trip, staying in different hotels along the way. Many of the hotels had pet rooms, they all just cost about $20 more. And most importantly, they were far away from our rooms by my specific request.

Perhaps it's a function of my (admittedly non-neurotypical) son's terror/panic reaction to dogs (we have worked a lot on this over the years and it is less of an issue now than before) but people taking non-service dogs into areas where dogs are specifically prohibited has become one of my biggest pet peeves. My allergies are annoying but fairly mild and I can take some damn Flonase. Calming down and resetting my son is an appreciable amount of our time and has, on more than one occasion, altered our plans for an entire portion of the day. If I've either picked a pet free hotel or asked for a room out of the way of any pet rooms, I expect that to be accommodated.

Yes.

I used to think this was no big deal, and most animals are more well behaved than people or kids. I knew of people who were scared of dogs, but I think I did not understand the degree to which that fear can impact lives, and if I did contemplate it I'd have thought those people need therapy. :( I didn't consider people with special needs and their issues, until becoming a parent of a kid with special needs (different needs, but now my compassion goes way beyond our needs). Now we have a next door neighbor with special needs, who is terrified of dogs. If she's coming over with her parents, I make sure our dogs are out of sight, as I've seen what it does to her, for hours and hours.

I certainly didn't realize that a person can be anaphylactic to animals. Nope. That was not on my radar. My son has been hospitalized twice due to exposure to cats. His RAST numbers to cats are the highest our allergist has ever seen. She ran the test three times. It made house hunting difficult, and frightening. His throat closed up after walking about five feet into one home, whose RE agent had assured us there were no cats. The litter box in the bathroom spoke volumes about the honesty of that RE agent. He did not visit my mom (after being hospitalized, due to her house) for 7 years, till she moved. We can't visit any friends' homes, if they have cats. And if a store has a cat, we have to leave.

When we travel, we only stay in pet free rooms. It's necessary. I used to think people could just take a Benadryl and get over it. But sometimes it's more than Benadryl, it's seeing someone's throat close up, watching them turn blue, and hoping the epipen works while you wait for the ambulance. That is a vacation killer, believe me.

I used to travel with pets. I get it. I even snuck a cat in a carrier into a hotel room in my 20s. More than once. I never mentioned the ferret that traveled with me to art shows for years. No damage was ever done to a room. But ... there was dander. And maybe someone who stayed in those rooms later had a mystery reaction. Maybe not. I'll never know. But I hope not.

Maybe this is one of those things that is no big deal until you've lived the results. I never considered the fear or that allergies could be worse than a runny nose till we had it impact our lives. I wish I'd never had to think of it in those terms.

• Like 8

is the place you stay in a time share resort?  I know when my grandma bought hers it allowed pets.  But then they changed the rule  The people who bought before the rule change were still allowed to bring pets to the non pet resort.  I don't think people coming there would know pets had been in the room b/c it was supposed to be pet free.   My point is, depending on the type of resort housing it's possible some people have permission for pets, while others do not.  

If it makes you feel better, I would have called and reported it too...more in the way of asking if it's allowed.  

I told on a camper using a fire when we had a burn ban.  Turns out they had a propane fire pit they brought with.  So while it looked like a fire from my site, it was technically legal even though the camp host didn't like they were doing it during the ban.  

• Like 1

Not at all horrid.  I probably would have reported too.

Full disclosure, I'm not much of an animal person and I'm already weary of the people in my town and their desire to have their dogs everywhere.  All of our parks in town are supposed to be dog free, except the designated dog parks. Do people pay attention to that?  Nope.

Didn't we have a thread a while back about the pets on planes cause I had am issue with that this month... my kid has a strong cat allergy too. (Oh and so do I... almost ended up in the ER after a visit to a friend's house recently ... if my breathing had not improved in about 3 minutes DH was literally putting on his shoes to get ready to go) People don't just want pet free rooms to inconvenience travellers with pets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Didn't we have a thread a while back about the pets on planes cause I had am issue with that this month... my kid has a strong cat allergy too. (Oh and so do I... almost ended up in the ER after a visit to a friend's house recently ... if my breathing had not improved in about 3 minutes DH was literally putting on his shoes to get ready to go) People don't just want pet free rooms to inconvenience travellers with pets.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Glad you are okay! It blows me away that cat or other animal allergies can be that severe. It seems unbelievable. Animal allergies should be a runny nose, at most.

I would have asked you the same question I would have given my children when they were younger: Is the rule breaking hurting someone or is it just breaking a rule? If the rule is the only thing being hurt, let it go. 

I wouldn't have reported the puppies. However, I can see where people with pet allergies would feel differently and I would completely understand if they did. 

I'm not a rule follower, but if I was going to bring a pet on a trip (which I don't) I would only take them places where they were allowed. That seems pretty basic. That fact doesn't make me feel the need to enforce my behavior code on anyone else though.