Menu

Is Moxie horrid??

Moxie

Keeping animals out of the bedroom is one of the first pieces of advice allergy sufferers receive. So if you (general you) wouldn't report someone bringing animals into a "no pet" hotel room or wouldn't report it until afterward...would you feel obligated to speak up if you saw someone eating a PB sandwich at the nut-free table?

Considering that some posters have reported life-threatening reactions to dander, why is violating the rental agreement by bringing a pet into a no-pet room any different? Especially when hotels/motels exist where pets are welcome. To me, this kind of behavior goes beyond just being a rule follower or not. It's basic consideration toward other people.

Personally, I think bringing a pet into a no-pet room (without making advance arrangements with management so proper cleaning can be done afterward) or smoking in a non-smoking room is pretty selfish. And, no, I don't bring nuts to the nut-free table, either.

• Like 5

It's so interesting that you say this. I just said this to DH over the weekend, and this is exactly the reason why: Other People's Dogs. The large majority of OPDs I interact with are not at all wonderful, but of course, everyone thinks their own dog is just so awesome that surely their guests will adore their dog just as much as they do.

One time, I attended a Christmas party at the home of some friends. I walked in and was jumped on by their large, Mastiff-like mix dog! And I was wearing a white coat! Two muddy paw prints directly on my party wear. Yes, to their credit, they had my coat cleaned, but it's beside the point. I would not have my dogs milling around a Christmas party at my home.

I have two friends who have dogs I like, and one other friend whose dog I can tolerate. The rest are too busy, too in my way, too slobbery, too hairy or too insane. OPDs have ruined my previous love for dogs.

Sigh, true. We know a few great, personable, well-behaved, unspoiled dogs. They are worth their weight in gold, and I'd love to have one of my own.

Sadly, we have experienced the other side of the coin more frequently, right down to totally undisciplined and/or spoiled vicious lap pets that completely strained and ruined relationships between people. Seems to be a sad and indulgent symptom of modern Anerican culture.

Keeping animals out of the bedroom is one of the first pieces of advice allergy sufferers receive. So if you (general you) wouldn't report someone bringing animals into a "no pet" hotel room or wouldn't report it until afterward...would you feel obligated to speak up if you saw someone eating a PB sandwich at the nut-free table?

Considering that some posters have reported life-threatening reactions to dander, why is violating the rental agreement by bringing a pet into a no-pet room any different? Especially when hotels/motels exist where pets are welcome. To me, this kind of behavior goes beyond just being a rule follower or not. It's basic consideration toward other people.

Personally, I think bringing a pet into a no-pet room (without making advance arrangements with management so proper cleaning can be done afterward) or smoking in a non-smoking room is pretty selfish. And, no, I don't bring nuts to the nut-free table, either.

This is why I wouldn't report it.  I don't know what arrangements they have made.  There could have been an emergency situation and the hotel agreed to the dogs.  I don't think it is right to ignore a no pet rule.  Sometimes, exceptions are made.   I might speak to the dog owners and inquire if they were aware this was a no pet hotel.  Based on that answer I might or might not report.  

As to PB at the nut free table, I would first speak to the person and alert them to the fact that they were at the nut free table.  If they said they knew but they wanted to sit there I would then take it the next level.  Sometimes people just don't think.  I try to never apply malice when stupidity will suffice.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 2

This is why I wouldn't report it. I don't know what arrangements they have made. There could have been an emergency situation and the hotel agreed to the dogs. I don't think it is right to ignore a no pet rule. Sometimes, exceptions are made. I might speak to the dog owners and inquire if they were aware this was a no pet hotel. Based on that answer I might or might not report.

As to PB at the nut free table, I would first speak to the person and alert them to the fact that they were at the nut free table. If they said they knew but they wanted to sit there I would then take it the next level. Sometimes people just don't think. I try to never apply malice when stupidity will suffice.

If they had made arrangements then surely the front desk would know.

• Like 3

This is why I wouldn't report it. I don't know what arrangements they have made. There could have been an emergency situation and the hotel agreed to the dogs. I don't think it is right to ignore a no pet rule. Sometimes, exceptions are made. I might speak to the dog owners and inquire if they were aware this was a no pet hotel. Based on that answer I might or might not report.

As to PB at the nut free table, I would first speak to the person and alert them to the fact that they were at the nut free table. If they said they knew but they wanted to sit there I would then take it the next level. Sometimes people just don't think. I try to never apply malice when stupidity will suffice.

It was at Great Wolf Lodge so not a regular hotel (no one is staying there due to any kind of emergency). Their website says "no pets". I called the front desk and asked. Their answer was "service animals only".

• Like 1

I don't guess you are horrid, if it really bothered you. I just wouldn't have given it the time and energy required to actually call the front desk and report another adult for not following hotel rules. It seems petty to me, but I am sure there are things important to me that others find petty. It takes all kinds.

• Like 1

I'm split like your children.

On one hand, rules are rules and allergies are real, and breaking rules makes me anxious. I'm a rule follower.

On the other hand, it's busy season. All pet friendly rooms may have been booked already. If the puppy owners are just passing through and were placed into a predicament of "break rules" vs. "leave dogs in hot car", I'm all in on Team Break the Rules, anxiety be damned.

IOW, I need more context.

Edited by fraidycat