Menu

Christmas meals

Janeway

I assume it is too late for a turkey as we never bought one. We never do turkey anyway.

I want to break with tradition this year though. We have our own traditional brunch, which we will keep with, but everything else came from relatives. I want to go off the path and make completely different things. 

New Years Eve, we always do appetizer foods and fondue. I am thinking of a turkey dinner for New Years Day.

But for Christmas..please tell what you all are doing for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

Christmas eve we are doing a bit of an eclectic dinner.  I am making fondue w/ homemade soft pretzels and baked brie for appitizers before the Christmas Eve service.  Afterward we will come home and have a corned beef and cabbage dinner with mashed potatoes and soda bread.  For dessert we are having peanut butter pie and other goodies I have made this week.

Christmas day we are going to my parent's house.  It is going to be turkey, ham, scalloped potatoes, and jello salad.  My brother usually brings salmon dip w/ crackers and homemade summer sausage.  Desserts will be pies, but I am not sure what type, and I am making a green velvet cheesecake cake.

I make my grandmother's traditional Christmas salad for Christmas eve, like every year. Potatoes, beets, apples, pickles, celery, nuts. A huge bowl full.

Our festive meals will be roaast duck and leg of lamb. We unexpectedly have a friend visit for two days whom we have not seen in a long time, so the leg of lamb is going to be tonight, with home made gnocci, roasted vegetables, and creme brulee.

I will make the duck on Christmas day if we don't go hiking. With celeriac puree and other interesting sides.

Christmas Eve is potluck with dh's family. So far I know we are having some kind of beef, green bean casserole, spinach casserole, mac and cheese, fish stew, cranberry salsa, pumpkin cake and what we call "apricot nectar pound cake" because that's what my great-grandmother called it. But it's not a pound cake and I can't ever find apricot nectar so I use mango nectar. It's really a boxed cake that is jazzed up. 

Christmas Day we are having scones for breakfast before church. Then we are having appetizers from Trader Joe's for the afternoon. We'll probably have plenty of leftovers from Christmas Eve also.  I didn't feel like coming home from church and cooking something big. 

We celebrate Chrismas eve. Prime rib, a thing called "Russian salad" (neither Russian nor a salad) gratin potatoes, some green salad etc. Molten chocolate cake for desert.

Then cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning and then off hiking with friends and Christmas is over :)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Christmas Eve is takeout Chinese food and a movie. 

Christmas dinner is a potluck with friends that we host. I make an entree, one appetizer, drinks and one dessert. Everyone else brings what they want.  This year I am making a couple mushroom strudel. I have also made pizza, lasagna, chili, etc etc.  Mostly I concentrate on something that pleases a crowd and doesn't need me to fuss with it.

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 2

Christmas Eve day we are going to a an all you can eat buffet for lunch, after 6 pm church we will have meatballs in chili/grape jelly sauce, some mini tacos from costco, a fruit tray and some cookies.  Probably a bowl of popcorn (or two or three or four more likely) and some candy.  Christmas day we will be at relatives otherwise I would probably do a lasagne or something low maintenance but still yummy.

Christmas Eve is finger foods at my parents' house. I'm making a Stromboli (the recipe uses crescent rolls, so it is super easy).

Christmas Day, we normally have brunch. Since we have church this year, we are just going to have cinnamon rolls and save our big meal for dinner. DH bought a few steaks, which we will grill, alongh with chicken for the kids (they don't like steak!). I'm also roasting Brussels Sprouts and fingerling potatoes. We will have Sister Schuberts rolls, per my dd's request.

Christmas Eve is takeout Chinese food and a movie. 

Christmas dinner is a potluck with friends that we host. I make an entree, one appetizer, drinks and one dessert. Everyone else brings what they want.  This year I am making a couple mushroom strudel. I have also made pizza, lasagna, chili, etc etc.  Mostly I concentrate on something that pleases a crowd and doesn't need me to fuss with it.

Mushroom strudel? I would LOVE to have that recipe if you're willing to share. Man, that sounds like an awesome New Year's food. 

We're having three kinds of soup and appetizers/snacks on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day we'll have a brunch of homemade cinnamon rolls, a breakfast casserole, and fruit. Later in the day we'll eat leftovers. Usually we do the soup thing on Christmas Day but this year our two married kids are going to their spouses' families on Christmas Day.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Christmas Eve lunch will be Morningstar burgers, waffles fries, and as a nod to good nutrition – broccoli.  Dinner will be salad and cheese fondue with bread. Dessert will be dipping chocolate with strawberries, apple and pear chunks, pretzels, and caramel-pecan turtles.

Christmas Day we will have sticky buns and hot chocolate for breakfast.  Lunch will be a cold meal of cheese, field roast slices, crackers and rolls, carrots and celery, snack foods from stockings, and as a special treat crème Brule (bought pre-made at Kroger).   Dh and oldest ds plan to make pizza for dinner.   

Christmas Eve is just like any other day with normal food for us.  One my dad moves in that will change since it is his birthday.  We decided to go with ribs for Christmas.  So we're having ribs, potato salad, baked beans, green beans, corn on the cob, and pickles and olives (the pickles and olives thing is because every holiday meal my entire life has included a dish of pickles and olives).  New Year's I haven't thought quite that far ahead yet, but I am thinking that on New Year's Eve we'll make egg rolls since we have a deep fryer now.  When I was a kid we always made eggrolls on New Year's Eve.  I guess we'll probably have to make spring rolls since three of us have Celiac and one of us has a wheat allergy.

I have started making the Christmas lumpia (Filipino eggrolls).  I assume that there will be pork as it is traditional on Christmas, though whether it will be a pig's head this year or not, I don't know.  And we'll have rice.  Then there will be some American feast foods mixed in just to keep everyone at the table happy. 

• Like 1

We're having appetizers for dinner at our house with my parents after the early Christmas Eve Mass. I'm making Brie en croute, cocktail sausages with Trader Joe's Korean style bbq sauce (a sample that dd liked), mini quiches from Costco, and my mom is making artichoke dip.

Christmas Day will just be our nuclear family since we are getting together with my side of extended family on the 26th. Christmas breakfast will be a cheese and sausage breakfast casserole and a blueberry French toast casserole and pineapple. Possibly roasted pears with cranberries if the pears are ripe.

Christmas dinner will be steak, mashed potatoes, creamed onions, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, and salad. Maybe one more vegetable if ds wants since he doesn't like asparagus.

Edited to add: Thanks to someone here on another thread, DH and I will be having mimosas with Christmas breakfast. I'm really excited about those :-)

Edited by AnnE-girl

We do a turkey and sides for Christmas Eve dinner. Basically it ends up being Thanksgiving again but I love it. As a kid we did the big dinner Christmas Eve with lots of extended family over. Now it is just my immediate family and my parents but we still continue the big dinnet tradition. It makes for plenty of leftovers for CHristmas Day. Christmas morning we do sausage and egg biscuits then don't cook again all day.

Ill have bread left over from Christmas Eve fondue and cheeses potatoes left over from Christmas Day breakfast, so I plan to make a roast beef and something green to go with it. I'll either do green beans or a salad. I still have to hit the grocery store. Yep. I'm still in a bit of denial. I may get inspired at the store and go another way. I have a hankering for salmon but my youngest would declare Christmas ruined if fish appeared on the table.

For Christmas Eve at my parents', we usually have barbecue (which in NC always means pork!!). This year we're doing sliders with a variety of sides: slaw, hush puppies, green beans and corn, mashed potatoes, baked beans, and meatballs.

Christmas morning we host breakfast, as we have the only kids on both sides, and all the grown-ups like to see what Santa left. We make a sausage and egg casserole, sausage and cheese balls, cinnamon rolls, OJ, and I usually throw out whatever cookies, etc. we have on hand too, just so people will eat them. Christmas dinner is a pot-luck, but the main dish is always ham.

Yeah... we eat a lot of pork at the holidays, apparently. Never really noticed that!

NYE is my birthday, so I don't care what everybody else eats, so long as dh takes me on a date to my fave restaurant!

Christmas eve dinner will be a country breakfast at very close friends house, with another friend, and our kids.

Christmas day we aren't doing our usual chinese buffet. We're having homemade Indian curries and pre-made appetizers........samosas, prantha, and ice cream for dessert. Peppermint, eggnog and vanilla

Christmas eve we do a variety of appetizer and desserts at my parents house... I'm in charge of pie ;)

Christmas Day - Cinnamon Roll bread I just bought at Kneaders and sausages for breakfast, lasagne and salad and rolls for dinner ... junk in between:)

New Years Eve -another heavy appetizers type event .. maybe fondue.

New Years Day - darned if I know and it's our big holiday this year lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tonight we are having poutine (sp?), tomorrow we are doing turkey with dressing, mashed potatoes, and green beans. We are baking a cake tonight, and cookies tomorrow, and some store bought pies on Christmas.

Christmas Day we will have a very nice cheese board with 5 different cheeses, oven roasted olives, summer sausage, and leftover turkey.

We will have a breakfast casserole for Christmas morning (tater tots, bacon, egg and cheese), which I will assemble tomorrow and bake Sunday.

NYE we will do appetizers and desserts, and we may have people over, but I'm not sure yet. Oh, and at the family get-together, we will have tamales that we all made earlier this month. Looking forward to that!

Christmas Eve dinner: chicken kiev, orzo pasta with parmesan and basil, green salad, jello Christmas salad. There will be a plate of cookies and some cardamom cake out all day.

Christmas Morn: cinnamon rolls, French toast or scrambled eggs, bacon, orange juice

Christmas dinner: grilled steaks, sauteed mushrooms and sweet onion, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, green salad, leftover jello salad, chocolate ice cream for dessert

We are doing an appetizer dinner for Christmas eve...mostly frozen stuff I bought at Trader Joes and am hearing up, plus meatballs in cranberry sauce and those ham and cheese haywain rolls, which I've never done before. Oh, and goat cheese and crackers. Then church for the 7pm Christmas eve mass, then dessert of a pre-made Yule Log I bought, and cookies. 

Christmas morning we will have a breakfast casserole and fruit and such at my moms, then snack stuff, then an early dinner of turkey and sides, with pie, etc for dessert. Then we drive home, and are having dessert and coffee and drinks that evening with BIL and his girlfriend and her father. I'm serving (and making) a gingerbread bundt cake and a pumpkin cheesecake, and frozen petit fours I found at Trader Joes, and cookies. 

We usually do appetizers for Christmas Eve but I've got one heck of a cold, so we're having Chinese delivery while we watch A Christmas Story. (I am soooo hoping this becomes tradition! I'm a huge fan of any food brought to my door. LOL)

Christmas breakfast is always cinnamon rolls.

Christmas dinner will be Roast Beast (aka Cowboy Steaks, enormous bone-in ribeyes grilled by DH), scalloped potatoes, and asparagus.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Christmas Eve is going to be spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, and Caesar salad with probably sticky toffee pudding for dessert. Christmas morning/lunch we do a big brunch thing with a chicken sausage, egg, waffle, and cheese casserole; bacon; potato casserole, and cinnamon and orange rolls. In the afternoon, we will have pimento cheese (homemade) sandwiches, meatball sliders, and baked ham sandwiches with various nibbles and veggie platter. And cookies. :) I usually make rum cake and just realized I have not. What is wrong with me?

Edited by zoobie

Christmas Eve is at my mom's every year. Always spaghetti, garlic bread, and salad. DH fills up on cheese, crackers, and sausage appetizers because he doesn't care for spaghetti.

We go to FIL's for Christmas lunch (typical ham and veggie fare). Christmas dinner? Whatever's left on the weekly "meal list". Pad Thai sounds good.

Christmas Eve, homemade crab cakes and a decent take-out cheese pizza.  Christmas Day homemade cinnamon rolls, bacon (we seldom have it so it is a Big Deal).  Meal will be beef tenderloin, rice pilaf (wild rice, brown rice, veggies, pecans), cranberry sauce since hubby likes it, rolls, broccoli, etc.   DD who lives in her own townhome is bringing Yule Log and praline cheesecake.  I have made over a dozen different types of cookies.  We will eat until we burst.

When my MIL was alive, she'd make and bring the first course, her homemade lasagne with fresh mozzarella from the local Italian market, and "gravy" (what Italians in Chicago call tomato sauce.)   I have never come close to replicating it, it was GOOD!

Edited by JFSinIL

I assume it is too late for a turkey as we never bought one. We never do turkey anyway.

It can't be too late. I've just put my chook in the oven for Christmas Eve dinner, and your Christmas is later than mine. :)

Christmas Eve:

Beggar's chicken (chook wrapped in foil, then salt dough and baked for four hours ish.)

Pasta Salad, which dd will make, coz she's been practicing. :)

Batik cake