Menu

How many presents will not make it for Christmas?

RegGuheert

We had about four items which were "on the bubble" between either making it for Christmas or not. Three shipped out in time and will be here, but one present ordered from Amazon without Prime will not make it. It shipped yesterday and is sitting in a FedEx warehouse only one state away, but FedEx says it will not arrive until next Wednesday (it is SmartPost). (FWIW, I don't believe Amazon's estimates anymore since they just pad them to either try to sell Prime or be conservative or both. Rather, I wait to see what the carrier says.)

Unfortunately, this is the big present for DS12. He's a cool guy, so it won't be a big issue, but I'd still like to have it here for Christmas.

Anyone else have packages which simply won't make it on time?

Edited by RegGuheert

Fortunately, my last straggler came in yesterday. I am waiting on a new double oven which I hoped to have by now but now it is not supposed to come until tomorrow, which is most likely too late for DH to remove the old and install the new one in time to cook for Christmas Eve and Christmas.

• Like 1

We stayed away from the bubble.

Because Amazon has shifted so much to USPS, we had no choice.  We don't get home USPS delivery.  Our neighborhood cluster boxes have parcel lockers, but they get filled up at the holidays, which means many packages get returned to the actual post office, which is 8 miles away.  So a "bubble" order, even arriving on time, could take an extra day or two to be ready for pick up.

As it stands, we received a pick up slip the other day with no sender information, and the PO swears they don't have it, and we must have picked it up.  Maybe we forgot a 16 mile round trip???  They feel that if we have everything we ordered (we do) that it's all good.  How am I supposed to know if someone else decided to send us a gift???

Sorry that turned into a personal rant!  The point was, we can't flirt with delivery deadlines around here.

• Like 7

A few last minute orders are on the bubble. It is ok if they don't make it because either they are for out of towners we won't see for Christmas or friends who won't mind getting something after Christmas.

Two day Prime isn't what it used to be, for sure!!

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 3

I live overseas but get mail forwarded to us from the US. We always order early in November to make sure things get here. Even so several boxes, including my youngests' big joint Santa gift, haven't arrived. I'm grateful to be living somewhere with malls and toy shops and did an emergency cash hemorrhage today so there is something under the tree. I'm upset about the boxes as they have either been misrouted or stolen. Still, it won't be the mega excited and exciting Christmas morning I was planning.

• Like 1

Everything I remembered to order made it here. The things I didn't order... will be birthday gifts I guess.

DH has one thing yet to arrive, but it's less a gift than replacing a broken item with something newer and snazzier. Not a big deal if it's late.

I had a heck of a time with Prime Pantry though. Even though there were specific things I needed from it for gifts and holiday meals... Never. Again. It took three shipments, two orders, one partial refund, and several polite but clueless Amazon reps in a pear tree to get that month-long mess sorted out. If I hadn't ordered before December that stuff would never have made it.

• Like 2

A few last minute orders are on the bubble. It is ok if they don't make it because either they are for out of towners we won't see for Christmas or friends who won't mind getting something after Christmas.

Two day Prime isn't what it used to be, for sure!!

I think this, too. "You'll get it two days! We think. Maybe. Well...we hope within a week, actually."

• Like 7

I should probably add that there were some really last minute, I mean "ordered yesterday," items and their status is "not yet shipped".

I finally did my visual check on all the presents (that I had hidden all over the place with no master list). DH had one thing in his pile, so I had to fix that.

Dd#2 asked me to check with her best friend's mom on whether she was already getting something. That made me realize dd hadn't taken care of that gift on her own and would need some emergency Amazon help, but she probably won't see her until next week, so it is ok if it doesn't come until Monday or Tuesday. (And Tuesday is when we will hopefully get our pre-order of Wings of Fire. The kids are all looking forward to that.)

• Like 1

My favorite present for dd10 looks like it won't make it. It was a last minute change but expedited shipping was too much so I gambled. UPS estimate says 27 Dec. Still holding out small hope.

I find USPS estimates to be off almost every time (usually we get the item sooner, but sometimes days layer). UPS estimates tend to be right on for us, although this week, I think they have been padding them; I've had two arrive a day early. So, slim hope!!

• Like 1

I did order a waffle iron from Amazon this week and I got an e-mail this morning saying it shipped and is due tomorrow.  I'll be very surprised if I get it.  I'm not in a hurry though so probably I will.  Last year they told me I'd get a seal I ordered for my dishwasher and I was REALLY hoping to get it before all the extra xmas dishes I'd be using, but nope.  I had to wash dishes by hand for several days.  Sucky.

• Like 1

I'm in pretty good shape. I ordered a few extra things yesterday and they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see. I'm about to order a family game in just a minute. The one I'm looking at says it will be delivered on Sat, the 24th. Ummm....risky, but I'm doing it. I always order a new game for the whole family each Christmas and we play it that afternoon - I just totally forgot about it this year until late last night. I was too tired to look through the options then. I'll be sad if it doesn't arrive, but it's not a huge deal.

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 2

It appears one thing I ordered as a stocking stuffer won't arrive in time but it isn't a big deal. I didn't realize when ordering that it was coming from Asia!

Our big Santa gift to one kid got lost in the mail but thankfully after the seller hounded USPS and it arrived about 2 weeks later than it should have.

• Like 1

All mine made it but I did have to cancel one order a few weeks ago that amazon had not shipped on time because it was a giving tree gift and was due back to the church. It cost $20 more buying locally because I got a it on amazon on one of their videogame sale days. I was a bit peeved but it is only money.

• Like 1

Everything made it except for one game expansion DD wanted as part of a gift for her BFF. Luckily, BFF's birthday is in Feb, and we were able to get other stuff here for Christmas.

Hopefully all our gifts to Family will arrive today. We have one still outstanding, but USPS shows that it should arrive this afternoon.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for three gifts to arrive, which wouldn't be a big deal, except they are all for the same person. The one that we ordered forever ago is a big gift, but we knew it might not arrive. The other two are iffy. I called and placed the order of one, and they said it would ship, but I haven't seen any confirmation, and no one answers the phone now. The other was from Amazon. It is delayed, but no one knows why. It's somewhere hovering over Indiana.  Maybe Santa will grab it and bring it Christmas Eve.

• Like 1

I can't answer how many will not make it for xmas, but the answer for Sinterklaas was 40,000, because PostNL had a computer malfunction the night before. They still managed to deliver 500,000 packages that day though (Sinterklaas isn't celebrated until the evening), but yeah, 40,000 too late:

https://www.computable.nl/artikel/nieuws/logistiek/5894567/250449/sinterklaascadeaus-te-laat-door-ict-storing-postnl.html

Of course, that doesn't include people who plainly order stuff too late, but, bol.com, the Dutch website similar to Amazon, typically has next day delivery (for free if you order at least 20 euros worth).

It still would've been wise to order stuff sooner and not count on your last minute delivery, even if the company you're ordering from says it should get to you on time.

• Like 2

(FWIW, I don't believe Amazon's estimates anymore since they just pad them to either try to sell Prime or be conservative or both. Rather, I wait to see what the carrier says.)

I think so, too. I even had a order that got marked as delivered on a Saturday recently. We looked everywhere for it. I was beginning to wonder if it had been stolen or something. It didn't actually arrive until Monday so it looked like on Amazon's end that it had been delivered within the 2 day window, but reality was quite different.

The shipping bit annoys me, but we easily get our moneys worth with the other Prime stuff.

• Like 1

I ordered all my stuff well before Thanksgiving so none here. But my MIL sent a package from Germany on December 1st and for some reason it still shows as sitting in Germany at the airport. grrrrrr

They might forget to update the status.

It is not unusual for me to get the notice that the deliverer will be delated after I received my package ...

• Like 1

Reg-  are you Prime?  Did you order it two day?  Because, if so, call them.  They will overnight a new one and you just have to ship back the other.  We've had this same scenario with a doll a couple years ago and, of all things, a clothesline T post that had to be here by a certain time in order to get the portion of the concrete being delivered. (Odd, I know.)

They made good on it even though I'm certain it lost them money.  I was impressed by their customer service.

We were waiting on one item.  I checked and it's at the post office right now. :)

• Like 1

I finally broke down and ordered the shirt 2ds wanted. he had one, he loved it, it's so faded you can hardly read it.  it won't make it. not sure if they actually make them to order - but it wasn't going to come prime anyway.    it's really about the only thing he really asked for.  he doesn't like to ask for presents - he wants to see what people will come up with. 

mostly I'm done- anything I buy at this point will be local.

I'm going to print off a pix of it, and wrap it up.

amazon over sold prime and couldn't keep up.  christmas has been super busy.  other times of the year, it's very much only two days.  sometimes (depending upon what time the order is in, and where it's coming from.)  it's been the next day.

• Like 1

Everything I ordered from Amazon arrived ok. One thing did keep getting pushed back but it turned up yesterday. I'm waiting on a parcel from another company but I've used them before and they have incredibly vague and late to update tracking but the items do turn up so I'm hoping it will be same as usual.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One might make it in time for Christmas, but not in time for our exchange with that family which happens today. It was supposed to be here yesterday. I don't usually cut it this close but we'd planned on picking it up in store last weekend and couldn't find it. That's the last thing we're waiting on. 

ETA: Since it's not shipping I didn't think of it, but we are waiting on something else. We had family photos taken Tuesday which is what my mom wanted for Christmas. She didn't ask for us to get any prints, she just wanted us to have them taken, but we did get some prints made for her and my mother-in-law. They are supposed to be in the 24th. 

Edited by Whovian10
  • Like 1

amazon over sold prime and couldn't keep up.  christmas has been super busy.  other times of the year, it's very much only two days.  sometimes (depending upon what time the order is in, and where it's coming from.)  it's been the next day.

This varies by your location. We've had threads before on it. At the beginning, it was definitely two-day. Now, not so much. It definitely does depend on where it is coming from, but it also depends on your location. Amazon now considers "two day" starting the day AFTER you order your item and sometimes has other little caveats (whether things are shipping "together" or not, which other items you have in your order, etc.). They've started to use other shipping companies (in my area, now almost 100% USPS vs the old 70% UPS & 30% FedEx). Even without holidays, bad weather, and high volume, it is NOTHING like it used to be.

I also understand that some places now have same-day-delivery. Not at all available where I live. So, really, it depends on where you are.

• Like 1

Reg-  are you Prime?  Did you order it two day?

No. This item was available from three vendors, but it didn't appear to me that any of them offered Prime shipping when we ordered on Monday. I decided to go ahead with it anyway and hope that it didn't get stuck in the dreaded "Preparing for Shipment." It only stayed in that state for a little over a day and then it went out.

Three shipped out in time and will be here, but one present ordered from Amazon without Prime will not make it. It shipped yesterday and is sitting in a FedEx warehouse only one state away, but FedEx says it will not arrive until next Wednesday (it is SmartPost).

Even though FedEx is still estimating December 28, I think there is still hope! After sitting in a FedEx warehouse overnight, it shipped out this morning and may be in VA very close to us right now. As long as it gets into the post office sometime tomorrow, it's possible we will get it on Saturday.

(I'm now convinced that FedEx pads their date when they deliver with SurePost. Even if we don't receive the item on Saturday, it almost certainly will arrive on Tuesday.)

• Like 1

I am waiting on one very important one that may or may not make it. I ordered it with prime with a shipping estimate to be here before Christmas. It was not shipping out so I had to contact them several times about that and 12 days later it finally shipped past the original estimate of when it was due here. They shipped it express and was due the next day which is today. I just got an email that it is delayed. It does say it arrived at a carrier facility in town.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 2

I finally broke down and ordered the shirt 2ds wanted. he had one, he loved it, it's so faded you can hardly read it. it won't make it. not sure if they actually make them to order - but it wasn't going to come prime anyway. it's really about the only thing he really asked for. he doesn't like to ask for presents - he wants to see what people will come up with.

mostly I'm done- anything I buy at this point will be local.

I'm going to print off a pix of it, and wrap it up.

amazon over sold prime and couldn't keep up. christmas has been super busy. other times of the year, it's very much only two days. sometimes (depending upon what time the order is in, and where it's coming from.) it's been the next day.

This depends a lot on location--next day never happens around here, but I know a lot of prime stuff comes next day for my friend in Sacramento.

• Like 2

No. This item was available from three vendors, but it didn't appear to me that any of them offered Prime shipping when we ordered on Monday. I decided to go ahead with it anyway and hope that it didn't get stuck in the dreaded "Preparing for Shipment." It only stayed in that state for a little over a day and then it went out.Even though FedEx is still estimating December 28, I think there is still hope! After sitting in a FedEx warehouse overnight, it shipped out this morning and may be in VA very close to us right now. As long as it gets into the post office sometime tomorrow, it's possible we will get it on Saturday.

(I'm now convinced that FedEx pads their date when they deliver with SurePost. Even if we don't receive the item on Saturday, it almost certainly will arrive on Tuesday.)

When the package arrived at the local FedEx SmartPost facility this afternoon, they changed their estimated delivery day to Tuesday.  I'm now convinced we will get the package on Saturday.  Here's hoping!

• Like 1

OP sorry for the delay in the one gift. My experiences with FedEx SmartPost and DHL GlobalMail have been very good, but they are not as fast as something that goes all the way via FedEx or UPS or USPS Priority Mail. I hope the package is delivered ASAP............  Better late than never!

If anyone calls a shipping carrier or vendor (Amazon, etc.) they are getting TONS of calls. Last Saturday morning, I called our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami, to ask about the Tax(es) we would need to pay on the Skates DD wanted. The woman who normally helps us was there (Xmas  rush). She told me they were receiving 5000 phone calls a day.  Their customers are all here in Colombia. From that, I assume FedEx in the USA is getting millions of calls, every day.

The man said he would probably ship the Skates during the Middle or End of this week. I think if we do not have an email from him, with the Tracking Number, tomorrow morning, I will give him a call (we have a magicJack number in the USA, so I can call there, without any extra cost).

• Like 1

Follow on to my comments in post #48:    We just received an email, with the USPS Tracking Number for the Skates we ordered for DD last Saturday. They are being shipped from Rhode Island by USPS Priority Mail.  Not tracking yet, but hopefully later today the package will be scanned and then it will begin tracking.   They are on the way to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami FL and then they will ship them to our house in Colombia.  DD will not receive them by Christmas, but she is very happy they are on their way.    :hurray:

• Like 1

My package is still in limbo having not even been scanned since 12/19.

Now I've realized the seller is sold out.

I've got an email in to the seller asking if they'll get more so I can wrap up a note promising the gift.

If this type of item was available locally I'd be buying something else.

I hope it magically arrives!

• Like 2