Menu

How many presents will not make it for Christmas?

RegGuheert

All holiday stuff arrived safely (fingers crossed for everyone still missing stuff!) and early but this is the first time I've had so many shipping issues and I've never had items completely destroyed before. Two boxes were destroyed on the way to us. Another box had damaged goods. Also, an envelope arrived torn open and empty -- it was just a five dollar omelet microwave pan inside, but I guess someone wanted it or it just got damaged on the way. 

One of the badly damaged boxes was packed so well, we were able to get the stuff  -- books, well shrink-wrapped and protected. The other box was apparently so bad, they just sent it back and I am waiting to find out if they will just send us a new one or if they'll refund.

Another box had a bag of potato flour open up during shipping and so when I opened the box, it went everywhere. What a mess.

Along with that we had a postal worker show up looking for a neighbor's misdirected box that had personalized Christmas gifts inside. We didn't have it but we let them know we keep getting our neighbor's mail. That same day one of my boxes was misdirected but they caught it before it was picked up in the wrong postal box.

That's not even counting the weird shipping issues we had earlier this year! I'm definitely trying not to have things shipped. I hate going out shopping but the shipping issues are such a pain. 

• Like 2

I have one t-shirt I ordered from Amazon (on 11/5!) that apparently was coming from China. It was supposed to be delivered two days ago. When I went online to look at the order, they have since received a ton of 1 star feedback saying that people didn't get the order or didn't get the right order. So, I don't have high hopes for that shirt!

I bought something from crowd-funding about two years ago. It was finally sent from Europe on December 10th. Today is the last day it could arrive  . . .  I'm not holding my breath. I've got my sister something else, and if it turns up, it'll be a nice extra. 

I also ordered a tiny stocking filler off ebay, but I doubt that's going to show either. No big deal. 

• Like 1

Just heard from Amazon that some of those really late items shipped UPS. On a positive note, they usually make it here when they say they will (Friday by end of day). On the negative side, if they don't make it - there is no Saturday delivery like with USPS. Unless there is really bad weather like last week/weekend, just about everything should make it here by Monday.  :hurray:

Keeping my fingers crossed for those of you with items in limbo.

(I still remember when some AOPS books being shipped to me by a WTM'er got opened, removed, and my label put on another package. Someone really wanted those AOPS books.  :crying: )

• Like 2

The package with the Skates for DD has begun tracking.  :-)    The USPS Tracking web site now shows "Accepted" and they estimate that it will be delivered to our Receiver/Forwarder, in Miami FL on 27 December 2016, next Tuesday.  USPS Priority. Shipped from Rhode Island.

Too late for Christmas, but I did not know that these type of skates existed, or that DD wanted them, until 8 or 10 days ago.

What is far more important than her receiving them by Christmas, is that they fit her comfortably and are in perfect condition and that she enjoys using them.

• Like 1

I quit shopping on amazon for gifts by dec 10 because even with Prime, they don't send me stuff for 2-3 weeks. It just sits in "shipping soon" for almost all that time. Such a scam.

I am not done shopping due to illness but I'll just go to go out locally. Hopefully tonight. DH and I are putting off bigger gifts for each other until after Christmas for a couple reasons so I don't need much else. Just a few things to round out the kids.

• Like 1

DD24 placed an order on Tuesday using Amazon Prime.  It was shipped in three shipments.  Two were scheduled to arrive today and one was scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  The one shipment carried by USPS arrived in the mailbox today, right on time.  The second shipment which was supposed to be here today STILL says it will be here today, but it appears to be in Richmond, VA.  I don't think it will make it.

So, it appears that out of the three shipments from this one Prime order, only one will arrive within two days.  As someone said upthread, they have redefined "two-day shipping" to mean "two-day shipping, starting tomorrow".  Perhaps next year it will be "two-day shipping starting the day after tomorrow"?

• Like 1

I ordered some things from Amazon (not prime) on Dec. 15, and it is just now being prepared for shipping : (. I don't think it will make it in time. I was so proud of myself for ordering early...

That's awful.  You know, I think that is what has soured many on Amazon.  Unfortunately, I have seen "Preparing for Shipment" for many DAYS.  How can you possibly prepare for shipment for days??  Is there a ritual involved?

My case is quite the opposite situation.  I chose to purchase something that was NOT promised for Christmas.  In fact, Amazon still says "Arriving Dec 29, 2016 - Jan 9, 2017" on the order.  But it is now almost certain to arrive on Saturday.

• Like 2

A few "replacement" gifts ordered at the last minute may or may not make it, thanks to Kohl's. They canceled multiple orders as things went out of stock days after I ordered. I wasn't watching my emails carefully enough and didn't realize they had been canceled. 

I am so done with their online ordering, the stress is not worth it and their customer service was not very helpful at all. 

• Like 1

Only one.  It was an extra add on gift for dd18, so no biggie.  It was supposed to make it in time from Amazon, but it wont make it.  I canceled it instead.  

Another gift that was not supposed to make it in time, is actually going to make it and it is a more important gift, so that is pretty cool.  DD10 is getting roller blades and I ordered her a new helmet.  The color I wanted was backordered, but came in stock and will be here tomorrow!  She could have used her old one instead, so that wasn't too big of a deal, but she will be super excited to have her new one to open Christmas morning.

• Like 1

Just heard from Amazon that some of those really late items shipped UPS. On a positive note, they usually make it here when they say they will (Friday by end of day). On the negative side, if they don't make it - there is no Saturday delivery like with USPS. Unless there is really bad weather like last week/weekend, just about everything should make it here by Monday.  :hurray:

Keeping my fingers crossed for those of you with items in limbo.

(I still remember when some AOPS books being shipped to me by a WTM'er got opened, removed, and my label put on another package. Someone really wanted those AOPS books.  :crying: )

You never know about UPS.  I have had a package delivered on Christmas Day! It wasn't even a Christmas present, but obviously the shippers don't know that.  So, don't give up hope, it may still make it yet.

• Like 1

DP

t

We had about four items which were "on the bubble" between either making it for Christmas or not. Three shipped out in time and will be here, but one present ordered from Amazon without Prime will not make it. It shipped yesterday and is sitting in a FedEx warehouse only one state away, but FedEx says it will not arrive until next Wednesday (it is SmartPost). (FWIW, I don't believe Amazon's estimates anymore since they just pad them to either try to sell Prime or be conservative or both. Rather, I wait to see what the carrier says.)

Unfortunately, this is the big present for DS12. He's a cool guy, so it won't be a big issue, but I'd still like to have it here for Christmas.

Anyone else have packages which simply won't make it on time?

Edited by reefgazer

I usually buy as much from Amazon as I possibly can because the one stop shopping is very convenient, but this year when I had things that were on the cusp of making it or not, I ordered from other companies. I'm no longer taking a chance on Amazon because their shipping time quotes are not reliable without Prime (nope, not paying for that). I bought from Best Buy instead, and my stuff is already here-with free shipping.

We had about four items which were "on the bubble" between either making it for Christmas or not. Three shipped out in time and will be here, but one present ordered from Amazon without Prime will not make it. It shipped yesterday and is sitting in a FedEx warehouse only one state away, but FedEx says it will not arrive until next Wednesday (it is SmartPost). (FWIW, I don't believe Amazon's estimates anymore since they just pad them to either try to sell Prime or be conservative or both. Rather, I wait to see what the carrier says.)

Unfortunately, this is the big present for DS12. He's a cool guy, so it won't be a big issue, but I'd still like to have it here for Christmas.

Anyone else have packages which simply won't make it on time?

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

Two Amazon gifts will be late. One is a small add-on for my kids, so no big deal. The other is a board book for my nephew's 9-month-old baby, so I think I can distract him with a rousing game of peek-a-boo. 

The only really disappointing one is my dd's Fidget Cube. There was a manufacturing delay and almost no one will get them for Christmas - we could be lucky, but I doubt it. Now I have to decide if I should wrap a photo or surprise her with it when it arrives. 

We're good here Ds's order from great Britain to arrive today. He's got a new hobby so it's been fun getting things outside the box for him.

You people know how to stoke curiosity - what's his new hobby? 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2

My dh planned so well but my present will be late. He is waaaaay too upset about this. It's not like I would be able to do anything with it until at least a couple of days after Christmas. Yes I know what it is. The fact that he is so upset actually sort of ruins the present for me. It's a great and perfect gift but not worth how upset he is that it is late. :0/

My dh planned so well but my present will be late. He is waaaaay too upset about this. It's not like I would be able to do anything with it until at least a couple of days after Christmas. Yes I know what it is. The fact that he is so upset actually sort of ruins the present for me. It's a great and perfect gift but not worth how upset he is that it is late. :0/

I quit shopping on amazon for gifts by dec 10 because even with Prime, they don't send me stuff for 2-3 weeks. It just sits in "shipping soon" for almost all that time. Such a scam.

I am not done shopping due to illness but I'll just go to go out locally. Hopefully tonight. DH and I are putting off bigger gifts for each other until after Christmas for a couple reasons so I don't need much else. Just a few things to round out the kids.

I have been having the same issue with them. It is so frustrating. Even something ordered on the 9th almost did not make it and a bunch if stuff was pushing it.

• Like 2

Try to be patient with the Shipping companies. They are getting huge volumes of calls and packages. I sent an email to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami yesterday, I was contemplating buying something additional, to consolidate with the Skates for DD  (which USPS Tracking shows left Providence RI last night).  The woman who helps us called me on the phone. Their "Call Volume" is approximately five (5) times what it normally is.  I have seen  packages for us  "Out for Delivery" by USPS, on Sundays, in Miami and not at Christmas.  Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully your packages will arrive before Christmas, but if not, the most important thing is that the correct thing arrives, undamaged, and is something the recipient wants.

I have not read all of the posts in this thread, but upthread is a post where someone bought a Lego set in a brick and mortar  store and it was obviously not brand new or correct. My belief is there is a higher possibility of that happening in a brick and mortar store, than if one orders from Amazon or from a reputable eBay Seller where they ship from a warehouse.

GOOD NEWS!   Christmas is the best time of the year to be shipping fragile items. Laptops, Phones, TVs, etc.  The Trucks and Aircraft are packed tight and boxes are not flying around and hitting each other and damaging items.   

• Like 1

We receive prime orders in one or two days. I only order items with prime shipping when we get within a week of a gift-giving event.

This year we've had very good success with both Amazon and other venders, large and small.

We used credit card points for a gift card for my niece, one of those use 40 dollars of points, get a 60 dollar gc. That's still not here after almost 2 weeks. She's 19 so will understand a delay.

• Like 1

"Carriers will be delivering Priority and Express mail on Christmas day in Lubbock"   I wonder if that will be a nationwide thing, or something that local post offices decide whether or not to do?   The Skates for DD are going USPS Priority, but I hope our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami will be closed, so their employees can enjoy Christmas Day with their families.  . 

• Like 1

Well, UPS thinks a package will make it here today, but it shows no scans since yesterday afternoon halfway across the country. Usually, if it was going to deliver today, it would have shown up in Big City this morning. 

We'll see if it makes it. :-)

• Like 2

Well, UPS thinks a package will make it here today, but it shows no scans since yesterday afternoon halfway across the country. Usually, if it was going to deliver today, it would have shown up in Big City this morning. 

We'll see if it makes it. :-)

We do not have a lot of experience with UPS Tracking, but with FedEx, and especially USPS, packages can be almost at your door before they are scanned again.  I told DD this morning that her Skates left Providence RI last night and the next thing in the Tracking may be when they are scanned in, in Miami or Opa Locka. Hoping that will be today or  tomorrow.   As I recall, I have seen USPS packages scanned at the Origin and then not scanned again until they are in the local post office in Miami.  Scanning takes time.  I think I have seen this recently, with FedEx Envelopes going from Lubbock to Cali and then back in the other direction too.

I hope UPS delivers your package, if not today, tomorrow.

• Like 1

SEVEN packages arrived today and everything is now accounted for.   :hurray:  (Three of them were textbooks that DS18 needs for the spring. :tongue_smilie: )  One item is not what was described on Amazon, so I will need to decide if and how to address this with the vendor.  It may not be a huge issue if the price is not too out of line for what was sent.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 5

The only really disappointing one is my dd's Fidget Cube. There was a manufacturing delay and almost no one will get them for Christmas - we could be lucky, but I doubt it. Now I have to decide if I should wrap a photo or surprise her with it when it arrives. 

My sister got one for her kids, and it doesn't work well, very sticky buttons etc. So maybe surprise her with it rather than get her excited then disappointed. 

• Like 2

My brother ordered the kids an air hockey table and was told it was delivered on Monday.  He and his wife were both home and didn't hear anything, but they live in a bad neighborhood, so we're assuming the worst at this point.  How someone carried off a big package like that in broad daylight is stunning to me.

Edited by BigMamaBird
  • Like 1

One of DH's orders due here today was "undeliverable", due to an incorrect address. Given the fact that we order 2-3 times a month from Amazon and items from the same order were delivered already, I'm confused as to why they're confused.

Maybe it got wet in the rain. Hopefully not stolen. UPS has been parking a full-size U-haul near the front of our subdivision every morning and reloading their main brown truck from it over the course of the day. It's visible from the highway. That's a broad daylight heist waiting to happen, really.

• Like 2

USPS does this a lot - scan once and then it is at your door.

UPS, for us, does not do this. They scan a ton - sometimes two or three times at a location. At the least, they would scan in Big City in the morning when they were leaving.

UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays in my little town unless it is one of those special Saturday Morning Deliveries. They might elsewhere, but not out in the boonies where I live. The UPS site still says it is "on time" and will deliver today, but their window was over anywhere from 2-4 hours ago, depending on who you believe (Amazon or UPS have different stated delivery windows). Definitely isn't coming here today. :thumbdown:  Wonder what it will say tomorrow?  :001_rolleyes:

Glad to hear some of you guys had your packages come in at the last minute. For those who still have hope for tomorrow, I'm pulling for you! These weren't must-have things or they would have been ordered earlier.  :cool:  It'll be fine if they end up on the porch on Monday or Tuesday (with our book pre-order - but that one better be on time!!!).

We do not have a lot of experience with UPS Tracking, but with FedEx, and especially USPS, packages can be almost at your door before they are scanned again. ...

I hope UPS delivers your package, if not today, tomorrow.

I did notice that Amazon has been saying all day that if you order something "2 day / Prime," it will arrive next Thursday. Yep, that sure is two day shipping.  :smilielol5: (There were a few items which promised shipping by Tuesday, but not many. I'm sure this varies by account & location.)

• Like 2

Well, yes and no, although mine is more Canada Post, but one shipment was from the US. My dh and i decided to buy the kids (very) inexpensive tablets. After we made the decision, the one we were considering from wall-mart got sold out. So we did to buy some online and found a good sale on a better one (but not a main brand) for a bit less than the original choice... But it would be iffy for getting her on time. We bought 4 - 1 per kid. Well, we spent most of the time watching the tracking and they arrived on Thursday. While I was out with the kids my dh had a look at them.... And one has a cracked screen. The box on that one was slightly damaged but I don't think that was how the screen was cracked.

So now 1 of the kids won't be as happy on Christmas.... We have already started the process of getting the return arranged, but what a pain.

I also ordered a math curriculum my oldest will start in January.... It is coming from the UK. It has a wide delivery range, but the later date was December 20th and it isn't here. I will give it to later this week... The 27th or so. I figure the estimate might have not considered the Christmas delivery pile up. I might not be able to contact them until the new year anyway.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And after all the anguish...there it is by the tree. :0)

One item is not what was described on Amazon, so I will need to decide if and how to address this with the vendor.  It may not be a huge issue if the price is not too out of line for what was sent.

I contacted the vendor and they assure me that the extra parts that I thought were not included are inside the box.  They told me where to find them.  (The box lists contents on the outside, but it does not mention these items.)  That would be awesome if it's true!  We will find that out tomorrow morning.  If so, this vendor gets very high marks all around. :hurray:

• Like 1

I ordered an item from American Girl on Tuesday; paid for the rush shipping and everything. Estimated delivery from FedEx was 12/23; it arrived at their facility yesterday morning and it sat there all day. At 6 pm last night they changed the delivery date to 12/27. Luckily, it's close enough that I'm going to pick it up this morning myself at the facility. I called American Girl and got a refund for my rush shipping costs. FedEx seems to be the least reliable of shipping services around here.

• Like 1

Several things I ordered from Amazon Prime back on the 16th that were in stock & fulfilled by Amazon finally were sent on the 22nd. One box will arrive on the 27th and one on the 28th. One arrives Jan 5th. Like a pp, we get mail at a cluster box and big packages get left at the PO for us 20 min away.

I understand that shipping can take longer due to living in AK, but it irritates me that I pay for Prime and they routinely take a full week to get it processed. Then half the time they ship it 2-day UPS anyway.

• Like 1

I understand that shipping can take longer due to living in AK, but it irritates me that I pay for Prime and they routinely take a full week to get it processed. Then half the time they ship it 2-day UPS anyway.

Isn't that the worst? If they actually ship 2 day it doesn't bother me quite as much, but NO ONE takes a full week to put your stuff in the mail anymore. Not even when you buy things off eBay or pre-made on Etsy. Why should amazon be doing this to Prime customers?

• Like 3

I ordered an item from American Girl on Tuesday; paid for the rush shipping and everything. Estimated delivery from FedEx was 12/23; it arrived at their facility yesterday morning and it sat there all day. At 6 pm last night they changed the delivery date to 12/27. Luckily, it's close enough that I'm going to pick it up this morning myself at the facility. I called American Girl and got a refund for my rush shipping costs. FedEx seems to be the least reliable of shipping services around here.

I ordered from American Girl on Saturday with rush shipping etc. it was supposed to be here Wednesday. It stayed ON A FED EX TRUCK out for delivery since Wednesday. . I called and changed it to pick up last night over an hour away (closest pick up to us). When DH gets there to pick it up, they had left it on the truck. It was out for delivery again! I think he must have lost it on someone in Fed Ex, because he called when he left the office and said it should be here within 30 minutes and to call him back if it wasn't. I was a little scared. Ă°Å¸Ëœ It showed up in about 20 minutes.

I normally wouldn't have waited so long, but my mom passed away 2 weeks ago and was in the hospital 3 weeks before that, so I really haven't been able to shop that much.

In the package from AG was 2 of DD's 3 presents. A 7 year old really can't just wait until later in the week.

Edited by Vernal
  • Like 1