Menu

What is your dogs name? Or suggest one

PinkTulip

DH and I are looking at getting a dog, a female yellow lab. We had to put our lab down in August, which was so heart-breaking, and we are ready to fill that void with a new dog.

We are trying to narrow down names, and haven't found the right one yet, so I thought I would ask here. Our last dog was Bear, but we like German words / names, or names of things, not necessarily human names like Molly, Bailey, etc.

My brothers dogs have been Blitzen, Geiger, Primo, and Heidi - I like all of those, but we can't use them.

So what is your dogs name? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

• Like 1

I/we've had dogs named:

Cookie

Tuffy

Lady

Bandit

Duke

Wolf

Beau

Kiyam (don't ask)

Tara

Scottie (no, it wasn't a Scottie)

Our most recent dog, the one in my avatar that we had to have put down in February, was named Dingo. Ds was 7 when we got him and since it was going to be his dog he got to name him. He was a huge Crocodile Hunter fan and his reasoning was: Steve Irwin is Australian, Dingo is Australian for dog, therefore my dog will be named Dingo. When he got older he asked what we were thinking when we let him name the dog Dingo. :lol:  It was kind of fun though to sing the B-I-N-G-O song replacing the B with a D.  :D  

I think it's good to have a few name ideas and wait until you find out the dog's personality. Sometimes the name you think you want just doesn't fit the dog once you get to know him/her.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I learned a lesson. My dog Bandit just died. She was a girl but everyone always called her a HE. And I have a male dog who is named Marley and everyone always calls him a HER. So the next pets I have will have obvious boy/girl names. I don't know why it's bugged me so much but it has.

btw, I have more dog names picked out that I can possibly have dogs in a lifetime lol. 

I currently have Daisy & Darwin. We had a Bear too but we didn't name him - he came named Bear, he looked like a Bear & he was Bear LOL. 

My preference has always been two strong syllables but I've lately been thinking of adopting Silvia Trkman's naming strategies: Lo, La, Bu ..   though I think I'll stick w/ two syllables & just know that eventually one will be the training run call name, like Daisy's was Daze. (if you want to see a Silvia competitive agility run you can hear her shouting Le Le Le Le etc here .  )

I'm really hoping to one day name a dog after Darwin's ship the HMS Beagle. What I can't decide is whether the dog should be a beagle or not :P   That one will be Bee. 

I shall also have a Pilot and a Fiona. Fiona will shorten to Fi and I'll call her FiFi.   I spend a lot of time with my imaginary dogs :D 

• Like 2

I'm really hoping to one day name a dog after Darwin's ship the HMS Beagle. What I can't decide is whether the dog should be a beagle or not :p   That one will be Bee. 

Along those same lines, we had a beagle named Darwin.   :001_smile:

Wendy

• Like 2

btw, I have more dog names picked out that I can possibly have dogs in a lifetime lol. 

I currently have Daisy & Darwin. We had a Bear too but we didn't name him - he came named Bear, he looked like a Bear & he was Bear LOL. 

My preference has always been two strong syllables but I've lately been thinking of adopting Silvia Trkman's naming strategies: Lo, La, Bu ..   though I think I'll stick w/ two syllables & just know that eventually one will be the training run call name, like Daisy's was Daze. (if you want to see a Silvia competitive agility run you can hear her shouting Le Le Le Le etc here .  )

I'm really hoping to one day name a dog after Darwin's ship the HMS Beagle. What I can't decide is whether the dog should be a beagle or not :p   That one will be Bee. 

I shall also have a Pilot and a Fiona. Fiona will shorten to Fi and I'll call her FiFi.   I spend a lot of time with my imaginary dogs :D

As a pro photographer many years ago, it was my goal to have a Labrador retriever named Kodak. Because you know I'd always wanted my own Kodak lab.

Too much of a photographer joke?

I think a Beagle named Darwin would be fun.

• Like 4

As a pro photographer many years ago, it was my goal to have a Labrador retriever named Kodak. Because you know I'd always wanted my own Kodak lab.

Too much of a photographer joke?

I think a Beagle named Darwin would be fun.

I love the Kodak lab! 

Alas, I already have a Darwin. I used the name up on my English Setter.  

Oh, I just thought of another Darwinesque name: Finch. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Our 3-month old yellow lab is Molly. Her litter mates are Milly, Nala, Lola, Paisley, Toby, Griff, and Tank (all owned by different people). Her mom is Maggie and her dad is Ruger. There are lots of hunting/gun names in her extended family (i.e. other labs from these breeders): 2 Remingtons, 2 Triggers, Gunner, and a Sniper. There is also a Harper, Riley, Lulu, Bear, Gus, Olive, Rogue, Honey, Emma, Reed, and Scout.

Good luck. We reserved our pup at just a week old and it took from then until the night before we picked her up at 7 weeks to decide on Molly. She's my youngest dd's dog, so she came up with the name, using a human baby name book. We like Molly and it goes well with our cat Henry we think.

ETA: Oh, and our first lab, black, who was a puppy 20 years ago was Sierra.

Edited by Ali in OR

Because we hope to add a pet within the next year, I think through possible names. One of my faves on the list is Mrs. Patmore.  :D Appropriate, don't you think? (For either a loving big pup or a fat yellow tabby.) Maybe we'll call her Patty for short.

• Like 1

Our current dog is "Jedediah Goldberg Evildog Naughtypants" (Jed for short).

Our previous dogs were:  Magnolia Snowpea (Maggie) and Chmura Blizzard (Chewy).

Other animal names we've had:  Twix, Snickers, Gandolf, Zeus, Eddie, Dora, Wesley, Pippen, Despereaux, and Steve.

How about Greta or Gretel, Kirsa, Birget, Liesel, Elke or Berit?

My miniature schnauzer is named Greta.   When we were talking about names before we brought her home for the first time, we told our kids we'd like to give her a German name since she's a German breed, and suggested something like Greta, Heidi, or Lucy.   The kids instantly said, "Greta, just like the penguin in Mr. Popper's Penguins!"   So Greta she is.

DH and I are looking at getting a dog, a female yellow lab. We had to put our lab down in August, which was so heart-breaking, and we are ready to fill that void with a new dog.

We are trying to narrow down names, and haven't found the right one yet, so I thought I would ask here. Our last dog was Bear, but we like German words / names, or names of things, not necessarily human names like Molly, Bailey, etc.

My brothers dogs have been Blitzen, Geiger, Primo, and Heidi - I like all of those, but we can't use them.

Legend and Lace

The GS we had to rehome was Briseus - Bris for short.

The terrier we had 8 years ago was Jack - rather uninventive but at the time, DS had a goat, a chicken, and a dog all named Jack-Jack.  ;)

I currently have a Belgian Terv named Chase; short for Western's Wild Goose Chase. DS named him and I love it. It makes me smile.

If I could, I would have one of each of the Belgian breeds. I would name them Rebel, Rogue, and Renegade. I also like the name Endeavor. If I could have another child I would name him Endeavor. That's not going to happen so I'm waiting until I can get another dog.

Edited by Scoutermom

:grouphug:

Do you have the dog yet? Because I have to have the dog in my home for a few days before I know what his name is. :-)

I have used names from my favorite books for kitties and puppies; my last two cats were named Loveday and Minette, and the last dog Wrolf, from "The Little White Horse." But my other cats told me their names when I got to know them: Hobbes, Jezebel, Wolfgang, Sweet Pea, Sam, Striper, Arlene.

My Brittany Spaniel is Maggie. Obviously a human name. We had a Boxer named Hobbs.

Our late GSD was Luke (short for Lucky Luciano - his registered name - and a reference to Star Wars, lol). Our current GSD is registered as, and called, Obi (another Star Wars reference). Our Iggy's name is Bella.

Edited by AimeeM