Menu

Do you like being a home school parent?

Tap

We talk about the kids and their lives as home schoolers, but we often ignore how this decision affects the parents.  

What is your story? Do you like it? Would you choose it again? Does it impact your family in other ways (not teacher/student but as mom/child, spouse etc) Is it what you thought it was going to be?

We didn't know K-12th education here was relatively so messed up until we moved to the states when oldest was an infant. That was when we start budgeting for after school tuition. My kids went to public school in K and 1st when it was fun, then online public charter when academics at B&M became too boring. Then bureaucracy and lack of social activities make it a bad fit in our 3rd year with the charter.

We started homeschooling when my oldest was in 5th and it was a disaster relationship wise. Academically, our kids were "ahead" enough to do nothing for a year. This year 2015/16 everything is outsourced and our kids are lots happier. Next year everything will be outsourced too as we continue looking for a private school that would work.

If we had known before coming to the states, we would have bought in a much cheaper area and used the savings in monthly mortgage payments for tutors from K. Financially, I am looking at going back to work because staying home has a high financial and mental cost. I find it mentally stagnating overseeing my kids education but too tired physically to further my studies so it is kind of no-win situation.

My hubby had a rosier picture of homeschooling but that changed fast when he did part of the teaching. He was a slacker until he went to a competitive public school, no idea why he assume our kids won't slack without competition :lol:

• Like 2

I really do. Sometimes I wish I had the freedom of the SAHM public schooling moms, the ones who get their nails done during the day and actually manage to use their gym memberships regularly :lol:. But I would be crap in the PTA and couldn't stand the thought of being away from my (obnoxious and lovable) offspring that many hours a day. I like teaching, I like structuring our time more freely, and I guess I don't mind the messes too much.

My husband likes it too. Apparently the subject comes up rather often at his work!

I think this is a situation where the grass is always greener. I know a lot of public schoolers who wish they homeschooler for various reasons but can't or won't. They think we have it made and I must have gobs of time to myself, but then I ask them how busy they are managing their one smaller kid at home and tell them to multiply that by academics and three more kids to keep busy *while* teaching, too. That shuts down the worst of the envy :D

They remind me of all the school related activities and parental involvement the districts now require and I'm definitely glad I don't have those bearing down on me, so we end up even!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I liked it pretty well overall, more in the grades 2-7 than 8 on.  We outsourced a LOT after 8 started.  It was relationship-damaging...not sure that outsourcing solved that problem, but at least we tried. 

I loved the freedom of time and I loved being with my kid and our friends.  The hardest part of school-school was marching to their drummer.

I think I like it :)

I am too lazy/introverted to be the involved parent that I would need to be if DS was in B&M schools.  And I think I would be bored to death in the type of job I could get with my qualifications right now.

So I am having fun mostly-unschooling (because, hey, I'm still lazy :glare: ) and going back to school and hanging out with friends and....just enjoying life.

It's exactly what I thought it would be since I saw my mom do the same thing with me.

Over all yes.  Like any job there are things I like and things I don't like.  But I like doing meaningful work and I feel like this is very meaningful.  For our family, despite some rocky years, homeschooling has been good for our relationships.  My personal challenges have been more related to being a chronically ill homeschool parent but honestly I would have those issues even if my kids were in a B & M school.  I look back very fondly on the young K - 3rd grade years but I like the high school years as well.  The middle years were a bit of a slog but worth it overall, I think. 

• Like 4

I love being a home school parent.  I believe it has been one of the most important decisions I (we) ever made, and that decision has been instrumental in forming the relationships I have with my children.  Of course, had my children gone to school, I can't say what our relationships would look like or that they wouldn't be good, but I do think they would be different.  I feel so lucky, fortunate, blessed that I've been able to do this.  And fortunately, my girls all feel the same way.

I do have one ...regret...  can't think of the exact word to use as I do not regret my decision.  That is the lack of income, and that I cannot expect to earn much after being out of the workforce for 21 years.  Honestly, this is the only negative feeling I have about my decision, and that is because financial security is slipping away due to economic downturn, numerous layoffs/outsourcing for my dh, rising prices, healthcare, and stagnant/decreasing pay in my dh's field, plus the fact that retirement age is not very far off for us.  When I made the decision to stay home, I couldn't have seen the way things have turned out.  We were on a good course.  Then everything went to hell.  It will be okay, but there has been a financial price to pay for this decision.

Still, I would make the same decision again as would my dh.  I can't think of anywhere else I could go where I could spend my time with my very favorite people while doing what I love.  When we made this decision we believed we putting the most important part of our life first, our family, and whatever we did give up has been small overall compared to what we have gained.

• Like 3

I am not sure I understand the question.

I homeschool because it is the best option for my children. I like the fact that they are receiving a better education than they would have in ps. I did not choose homeschooling because I envision a "homeschooling lifestyle" or because of any ideology - it was necessary, and I have arranged my life to accommodate it. I enjoy some aspects of it and do not enjoy others. I enjoyed homeschooling in the middle grades more than I am enjoying high school.

If I had to do it again, I would choose it again, and begin right after 4th grade instead of subjecting my kids to a year/a semester resp at the Middle school.

I do not think homeschooling has greatly altered my relationship with my children.

I have one more year, and as much as I consider homeschooling a positive choice, I am looking forward to being done.

Edited by regentrude

We talk about the kids and their lives as home schoolers, but we often ignore how this decision affects the parents.  

What is your story? Do you like it? Would you choose it again? Does it impact your family in other ways (not teacher/student but as mom/child, spouse etc) Is it what you thought it was going to be?

I had never given any thought to homeschooling until we moved to a new district for the schools. To make a long story short, the new district was not a dream come true. It took me about a year to research enough to make the decision to pull dd out of public school. Private school wasn't a financial option for all three kids (the youngest two were only babies at the time) and we worried private school would only solve the testing pressure, but had other pressures of its own we weren't enthusiastic about either. 

I love it 95% of the time. I would definitely choose it again and sometimes wish I had sooner, but I wasn't in the place to do so really earlier anyway. It does impact our family I think, because it IS our family now. I'm not sure if I can articulate it. There's not really a place anymore where school ends and homelife begins. Home is school. 

It is so much more than I thought it would be. It has brought me and dd so much closer, and changed our relationship for the better (most days!). It has also reignited a thirst for knowledge I lost sometime between graduate school and career ladder climbing. I am going back and giving myself the kind of education I missed the first time around and filling in holes while giving my children a more gentle, yet fulfilling and appropriate education that I think they would be getting in our current school system. 

I really like teaching my kids. I like tailoring lessons or curriculum to their needs. I like planning lessons. I like seeing them engage, develop, and learn. I like learning with them. I could go on. I don't mean every day is rainbows and joy. We have many challenges here, and kids can be frustrating. But almost everything about the instructional end of homeschooling fits me well. I feel good about our homeschool.

The downside, for me, is that I feel an incredible amount of responsibility, and my own shyness gets in the way of making the social connections I wish we had in the homeschool community after we moved. I didn't expect that when I started. I did expect the financial hit that leaving the workforce would bring, but as we start to look ahead to college costs that seems bigger than it did back then.

I don't think of myself in terms of "homeschooling parent," and sometimes I feel awkward when I know others see me/us that way. I don't want to have people mentally assume things about me or my beliefs because we homeschool, and I know that happens. I also don't want to have my kids, one of whom is autistic, be seen as representatives of homeschooled kids. I guess I'm saying the stereotypes and assumptions bug me. 

I was a ps teacher. I didn't expect to homeschool until I realized, during a conversation with his upcoming K teacher, that my special needs guy wasn't going to fit well in school. I don't think I'll ever go back to the classroom, and sometimes I feel sad about that. It's not how I thought my life would work out. But, yes, I would do it again. I can't imagine not homeschooling. It's been good.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

Yes.  But because I don't think in terms of teacher/student at all.  If I thought in those terms, I don't think I would like it; I would feel too much pressure in areas I don't value on a primary level.  Academics are actually second or third on the list.  And it's definitely hard; being "there" (with kindness!) pretty much 24/7 is draining and requires intentional self-management.  But to me, it is worth it.  For them, I hope it will remain so in retrospect.  :)

Not really, I never intended to do it and never wanted to.  But my son needed me home.  I quit my job of 17 years to stay home.  I am now trying to get back to the workforce and am having a very hard time with a 10 year gap in my work history.  Part of me has a lot of regret for ever leaving my job.

• Like 3

I mostly like it. I do wish my kids were go-getters. They're not. They are the way I was when I was young. Over many years I learned how to buckle down and get things done, but I did not learn that until my mid-20s. When I was their age, I was content to stay home reading books all day. They are content to stay home and play on their ipads all day.

If they had a bit more go-getter in them, homeschooling would be a dream. I like everything about being a homeschool parent except: a. the heavy weight of making sure all my ducks are in a row now that we are entering high school and b. the fact that I often feel like I am dragging the kids behind me because they would rather be playing. I am sure it is a problem that many people have and no one is shocked that kids would rather play than do school.

• Like 4

Yes, I love being a homeschool mom. I had a child in school, and that I did not like. I did not like that I had little control over what was going on in her life a majority of the time (by high school my dd was gone from home around 9 hours day). I did not like that being apart so much fostered disconnect between her and us and her and her siblings. I did not like how much school and its employees interfered in our lives and free time. I did not like that school exacerbated peer dependence. I did not like the social scene of the school. I did not like how stressed out she was all the time. (Why didn't I just homeschool her? Well, post-adoption issues made that unworkable.)

As homeschoolers, we lead a more relaxed life that centers on our needs and desires. I know what my kids are up to, and I feel more connected to them. My kids are not wildly peer dependent. My kids don't think I'm an idiot, and they are not embarrassed by me. The kids they hang out with are nice. My kids aren't harried all the time.

• Like 1

I am in love with the concept, not so much the reality. I would consider trying again with my other child. Heck, I would consider trying again with ds after a break if both of us were really motivated. Ds is likely to go to private school in the fall. I don't feel valued in my family as much as I think I would if I worked outside of the home. That is not a homeschooling issue, but it does affect my happiness with homeschooling.

• Like 1

Yes, I love it and would choose it again. I always say it's way too hard of a job to choose if you don't like it!

I think it had a positive impact on our family, both in terms of spending a lot of time together, and also teaching and reminding all of us to not automatically do things the expected way. 

I am a big proponent of lots of free time for young kids, along with lots of fresh air, sunshine, and active play. Our local school system makes it difficult for that to happen, due to a combination of factors: all day kinder, limited outdoor and play time at school, long bus rides or drop-off lines, and so on. That alone encouraged me to home school in the early years, and each year has brought new benefits - they still have more time than they would in school, they have much more choice in classes, it's just been very positive for us (with definitely some struggles, of course!). 

I am not sure I understand the question.

I homeschool because it is the best option for my children. I like the fact that they are receiving a better education than they would have in ps. I did not choose homeschooling because I envision a "homeschooling lifestyle" or because of any ideology - it was necessary, and I have arranged my life to accommodate it. I enjoy some aspects of it and do not enjoy others. I enjoyed homeschooling in the middle grades more than I am enjoying high school.

If I had to do it again, I would choose it again, and begin right after 4th grade instead of subjecting my kids to a year/a semester resp at the Middle school.

I do not think homeschooling has greatly altered my relationship with my children.

I have one more year, and as much as I consider homeschooling a positive choice, I am looking forward to being done.

What don't you understand? She just asked if people liked it and if they would choose it again, and  how it affected the parents and the family as a whole. She didn't ask about a homeschooling lifestyle or ideology, although that comes into play for some people, including me. I disagree with the educational ideology at most K-12 schools, and we value our homeschooling lifestyle, which definitely differs both practically (vacations in the off season!) and in social and educational attitudes from the schooled lifestyle in our area. 

The OP didn't ask about that, though, it was a pretty straightforward question. I think it's impossible to homeschool without it having an impact on the parents and the family as a whole. 

And here's one of my little hs'ed munchkins now.  lol  She's the 5th from the front of the line.  One of my other dd's just sent me this link.  Not sure it'll work ...

https://www.facebook.com/USMCOCS/photos/pcb.1552469745055028/1552469508388385/?type=3&theater

It worked, congrats to her! 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 4

Posting again to address the financial issues. 

We would definitely have come out ahead financially if I had worked full time all these years, but the difference is less for us than it would be for many people. One, I made a lot less than dh, and I did some part-time things, so our income wasn't cut in half. Two, we would have put the kids in private school if we didn't home school, and that would have taken a substantial chunk out of a second paycheck. 

Those factors made the decision to home school a bit easier for us. 

We're a "mixed" household - some have always been homeschooled, some have always been public schooled (IRL and online).

I don't identify as a "homeschool parent" the way some of my hs'ing friends do. I mean that, like, it's what I do but not who I am.  So to that end I think of it as I do any other duty I have as a parent - such as cleaning, cooking, chauffeuring. I don't LOVE it but it's a part of the responsibility I signed up for. I don't HATE it except for a few days every February during my annual breakdown. But I hate public school that month also, so ...

Yes, I'd choose it again. I have no regrets regarding the choices I made for the education of any of my kids.

It does impact us in other ways. It frees us up to travel more (the public school kids stayed with relatives before they were old enough to stay home alone), which makes for closer relationships. Those relationships are forged through experiences good and bad, so there are more moments of tension as well. It's the nature of spending all day together. It's allowed my kids to participate in higher level competitive sports with a healthy balance of school, nutrition, and sleep. They aren't trying to squeeze it all in because we can be flexible with school, spreading it over a longer year and being more efficient in general which reduces time-per-day active learning.

It's pretty much what I thought it would be. But I'm a planner so I had done my homework about what to expect; I didn't leap into it. I talked to others, read a lot, and talked out the decision with extended family so they could help me discern the challenges I might have.

I am in love with the concept, not so much the reality. I would consider trying again with my other child. Heck, I would consider trying again with ds after a break if both of us were really motivated. Ds is likely to go to private school in the fall. I don't feel valued in my family as much as I think I would if I worked outside of the home. That is not a homeschooling issue, but it does affect my happiness with homeschooling.

I relate. I retired a few years ago from a F/T career. I had taken a few 2-4 year long leaves during that career, but even that didn't prepare me for being home full time forever more.

I feel fortunate in that my extended family and I work as a very cohesive unit. I know they value and appreciate my contribution to the family. I watch nieces and nephews, allowing their parents to build their careers; I help care for elderly relatives; I do a lot to help the family. And my generation and older all notice it. We're so interdependent that it's impossible to feel undervalued.

But the kids and the in-laws and the ex-husband can sometimes be real thorns in my side. And, truly, those are the people (ex-husband and kids) I need to feel valued by. Because they're the ones I'm doing the dirty work for (kids, anyway). I just tell myself I'm too good at making it look too easy LOL. One day I hope to believe that!

All that to say, I think we're in the same boat heartlikealion ... and I did send one kid to private school for a year. He asked to come home at the semester and has been a much better kid since (both student and overall citizen of the house that doesn't clean itself). I hope your experience creates the same appreciation in your son and family.

• Like 1

It wasn't something that I planned to do, but so far I like it.

My oldest was in public school except K-2 in Catholic school and I worked full time until ds was born when she was 11.  I never had a problem with her being in public school, never really thought about other options (the Catholic school was because they had full day kindergarten).   I wasn't very involved with the schools because I worked full time and was a single parent for a portion of that time.

After my recent stint back working full time I definitely feel that ME being home teaching the kids is better than the alternatives.   They would not do well in public school without a lot of intervention and I'm too much of an introvert to be that involved.  Putting them in school would also probably mean I would go back to work at least part time so I wouldn't get that SAHM lifestyle anyway.  I strongly doubt we'll ever try having someone else teach them again, unless it's dh.

I enjoy teaching them, I enjoy planning out activities and lessons.  I don't enjoy trying to keep the house decent and meet all the other responsibilities on top of the teaching but such is life.

• Like 1

Loved it. Second/last one graduating high school this month. As others have mentioned, the younger years were more fun, but I'm grateful for the opportunities my kids had all during high school too. We had other things go on that severely affected us financially, and I'll be going to work full time for the next 20 years, but even so, I have never for ONE minute regretted our decision. When we began 15 years ago, we never expected it to last more than a few years. It changed our family and made us who and what we are today. Best thing ever!!

It was a terrifying responsibility at first. It became so much a part of my identity that I actively began seeking out other things a few years ago, wanting to protect myself and knowing I needed a bit of a life before I *had* to have a different life. I truly believe that I'm nearing the end of the best part of my life, but that doesn't sadden me at all. It will be different, but I will always have this to look back on. And hopefully there will be grandkids in my future!

Absolutely love it. Yes, it has impacted our lifestyle overall. Homeschooling for us is not only an educational choice, it's the way we live our lives, it's who we are. Has it been what I expected?? Yup! I knew it wouldn't be easy...but life is not easy regardless of. Would I do it again? In a jiffy!! My biggest regret is that we didn't homeschool our oldest.

• Like 1

yes. Best thing I ever did. If I could do it all over again, I would, in an instant, without thinking twice, yes.

• Like 2

We started homeschooling because middle school was not a good fit for our eldest dd. She returned to public school, but we kept going with the younger set.

I do like it. I like it a lot. There are pieces I don't care for, and I have my "grass is greener" moments, but overall, I enjoy it very much. I would choose to homeschool again.

It does impact my family financially, as I was not able to work and homeschool when the kids were young. Now I work part-time in a flexible job that allows me to homeschool and work. That's challenging, as I'm essentially working two jobs. In some ways, it would be easier if I could send them off to school while I am at work, but I'd miss the reward, and they'd miss the individualized education and the flexibility to pursue their interests.

It is what I thought, and it isn't. I was pretty open to making it what we needed it to be. What has surprised me is that the flexibility of homeschooling is a big part of what drew me to it and kept me going with the younger kids, but we've gradually become more structured as I flexed with the kids' needs. Now, I try to maintain a pretty solid structure and routine to our days, though we're flexible within, and occasionally without, the structure.

Yes I love it.  I like the researching,learning, and teaching.  I like the flexibility it give our family schedule wise and how much more time we get together as a family with a shift work schedule.  Their are hard days of course but their would be with any job.

• Like 3

Yes, I like it.  I can't think of something else I would like more.  I don't really have a career I left or that I'd like to return to.  I do love seeing my children's eyes light up when they learn something new or when they connect things, but tbh, that really fits in with my whole parenting philosophy -- seeing them get a math concept is just an extension of seeing them learn to walk and talk.  I enjoy learning things alongside of them, and I enjoy relearning and newly learning things too.

Do I like every aspect, or even every moment?  Nope.  But life is like that.  You can really love what you do, overall, and still not like every single thing.  So I enjoy the pluses and realize that the minuses are fewer.

Probably the biggest way that being a homeschooling parent affects me as a wife and mom is in time.  On the one hand, I get extra bonding time with my older kids, but on the other hand, my little ones get less of me than my older ones did because I'm spending more time teaching and everything.  They get the benefit of older siblings who adore them, and it's definitely not all bad, but I wish I had more time just to play with my small ones.  I have less time for housekeeping and other things that DH needs me, as the SAH parent, to do.  If my older children were in school, I'd absolutely have more time to clean and such.  But we just try to balance all of it and do the best we can.

• Like 2

I love it. Yes, I have my bad days like anyone else, but I cannot believe how lucky I am to get to do this. I love the flexibility, and I love being able to do our own thing (for the most part.)

Same here.  I have loved it so so much.  Learning with my kids and building our relationship has been the single biggest blessing of my life.  

I have no regrets though it has absolutely given rise to some concerning circumstances and an unfortunate dependence on my spouse.  I can not say I would do anything differently.  Except maybe to have saved more money aside for my own needs.

• Like 1

I loved it, but unfortunately had to deal with family issues and never had a really super year. Wish I had known about and considered the option earlier, but it is too painful to live life looking in the rearview mirror.

There is good and bad, pro and con to nearly every decision. I feel most of my choices were redeemed and things are pretty good now.

I do miss those days a lot, though.

• Like 4

Nope. Hate it.

I do it because it is what is best for the kids at this time and in this place.

I would not be doing it (in fact Did not do it) when we lived elsewhere.

Family wise, the net effect is mostly positive due to DH's work schedule. The kids have closer relationships to their Dad because we are flexible enough to foster them when he is available.

As for MY relationship with the kids - I'm seen as the evil dictator. I'm the one "forcing" them through math, reading, chores, life in general. It's not really overtly "bad" relationships, but the subtle differences are noticeable to me.

That said, I don't dwell - it would serve no purpose. I focus on the positive and am grateful for many things associated with homeschooling, but the actual school part itself is just something I have to slog through like cleaning toilets and washing dishes. Not fun, just get it done.

• Like 2

Yes, I like it. Yes, I would choose it again. Yes, it impacts the family financially. Honestly, I didn't really have a picture of what homeschooling would be. Well, that's not true. I did picture my kids being more cooperative. I was an eager little student as a kid. I gave birth to children who just want to play in mud all day. 

I like it, I'm glad we do it. We are pretty transient and the freedom works for us. If circumstances change at some point then we will reevaluate though. We mostly do it for the freedom, we like to travel and see things and do things. I have amazing relationships with them, and even my previously difficult dd is starting to outgrow that and become a neat little person. I don't think I would change anything, including their years in ps.

• Like 1

Yes, I really do enjoy it. I value the time, the flexibility, the counter-cultural-ness. I love being with my kids. Would choose this again in a heartbeat!

As others have said, we have hard days and hard weeks. My Ds is not an easy kid.

We are only 6 years in, but I cannot imagine any other road.

Certainly it is a financial sacrifice, but we would not have been that much better off if I were working because my field is not high paying. The intangible rewards are priceless. 

We have great community and I am thankful for that. 

• Like 1

I have realized the past 3 weeks of "summer" what a better, happier, "just mom" I am; who can spend a few minutes playing with younger ones, relax more and make a better meal, etc. Much less easily upset, all the things that result from the stress of running 2 kids' educations' and their lives. I'm curious to read all of this thread. :/

• Like 1

I like it and would do it again if I could.  It has affected our family deeply.  We have a closeness I don't think we could have had otherwise.  My son has a sense of his own individuality and a confidence in that individuality that I don't think he could have had any other way.  These have been the best years of my life.  I am grateful for every bit of it -- even the whingey arguing years.  I'm sad it's coming to an end. 

• Like 3

What don't you understand? She just asked if people liked it and if they would choose it again, and  how it affected the parents and the family as a whole. She didn't ask about a homeschooling lifestyle or ideology, although that comes into play for some people, including me. 

And I answered her questions, but I had trouble with the question in the title because I do not identify as "being a home school parent" - homeschooling is one of several things I happen to do . Which is also why the issue of lifestyle and ideology is relevant, because they tend to lead to people identifying as "being a home school parent"... if that makes any sense. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I love it! The only things I would change is all the trying out of currciulum with my older two. But the upside is I have now used or seriously researched just about everything out there. 

I've done PS and private school with my olders. PS was a nightmare of politics and their stupidity. The private school was specialized for oldest and we loved it for the 3 years he was able to go thanks to generous grandparents.

I love we can go at our own pace, use materials far above the PS level, and follow our own schedule. I could never go back.

Edited by Paradox5

Yes, I like it. I would choose it again.

It has definitely impacted our life in other ways. Both dh and I work part-time and stay home part-time. We did that also before we homeschooled when our kids were little, but likely he would have gone back full-time if they were in school and I would probably be working more. Because we both work part-time we both will never get to the same level of management/promotion in our jobs that we would otherwise. We would make a lot more money if I worked full-time and even more if we both did. So our careers and financial situation are somewhat negatively effected but it's not something we regret. 

I think for the most part it has brought our family closer together, although I have nothing really to compare it to. The biggest difference I see between our family and non-homeschoolers is that we tend to live a less busy slower life. We might still do that if the kids were in school but we live in a really high pressure, achievement oriented area and I feel like it would be really hard to opt our of that in the way that we have done. I'm happy about that and feel like it's been a gift we've been able to give to our kids. 

I suppose it is different than I expected but no more than any major life choice is different than what you imagine. Parenting it different, marriage is different than I imagined. For me, all have been  much better than I could have imagined but also harder. Homeschooling is like that. 

• Like 1

And I answered her questions, but I had trouble with the question in the title because I do not identify as "being a home school parent" - homeschooling is one of several things I happen to do . Which is also why the issue of lifestyle and ideology is relevant, because they tend to lead to people identifying as "being a home school parent"... if that makes any sense. 

Ah, okay. I just didn't read it any differently than someone asking if you like being a lawyer or a salesperson or a teacher. 

Ah, okay. I just didn't read it any differently than someone asking if you like being a lawyer or a salesperson or a teacher. 

I read it similarly, and, other than many homeschooling parents, I draw  more of my identity from my profession than from homeschooling (in other words, I rather identify as a physics professor who also happens to homeschool than as a homeschooling parent who also happens to teach physics)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Regentrude, I could have written this myself.  Exactly.

I liked homeschooling my kids.

I liked learning together.

I did *not* like the irl homeschooling community. I did not like that homeschooling led others to make assumptions.

ohhhhh, yes. I love homeschooling. LOVE LOVE. I have local friends, yes, but when I have gone to our annual convention, I suddenly feel very isolated. But, being an introvert, it doesn't bother me that much, especially having this forum. :)

During 4th grade, DD's last in public school, I went back to college.  I was so happy!  But DD really needed homeschooling for various reasons, and so I homeschooled.  I did not have the physical or mental energy to do both, so I stopped college.  "I can always go when she is done."

Only now she is almost done... and I feel so drained.  I feel like my mental capacity has been sucked out of me.  Seriously, I almost can't complete a coherent sentence any more.  I wonder if I could even handle college now.  So, yes, I did what DD needed, and I am glad I did and would do it again.  But the results for myself...  I used to joke, "She'll get a great education and I'll be an empty shell of a woman!"  ha ha, only now I'm not so sure it was a joke.

Really hoping I will recover some of my former self soon...

• Like 1