Menu

Do you eat in bed?

Miss Peregrine

My mom always ate Oreos in milk in bed in the mornings. I thought it was kind of weird and other than the occasional breakfast in bed served by my kids, I didn't. But now sometimes when i wake up really early I go downstairs and get my tea and breakfast and eat in bed. I don't know why it's appealing. 

A couple times a year, I will watch a movie in bed (when I am hiding from the kids) and eat a snack.  I am super picky about not getting any food on the bed though. 

DD17 eats in her room/bed all the time.  My kids grew up with a 'no food in the bedrooms' rule, but she has to hide in her from dd9 when dd9 is raging (dd9 targets her), so we allow her to break the rule.

• Like 1

No. I only do it when forced by an over eager child who romanticizes breakfast in bed and cheerfully brings it to me as a surprise. I don't like crumbs and I don't like breakfast. I used to eat candy in bed when I was in college and writing papers. But that was different. My candy didn't have crumbs; just lots and lots of wrappers.

• Like 4

No. I only do it when forced by an over eager child who romanticizes breakfast in bed and cheerfully brings it to me as a surprise. I don't like crumbs and I don't like breakfast. I used to eat candy in bed when I was in college and writing papers. But that was different. My candy didn't have crumbs; just lots and lots of wrappers.

Oh Gosh, Peanut MnM's are awesome with green tea. Sometimes that is breakfast.

No, never.

I wouldn't say "never" because I have learned not to say that, but... while my health remains what it is, I'm going to say no, not at all.

Coffee... I try to at least be sitting on the side of the bed, LOL.

Edit: Why coffee in bed? Well the man of my dreams brings it to me, you see, and it seems rude to let it get cold... ;)

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 6

It's actually a sore topic here lol. I hate it when dh and ds bring food into the bedroom (the master bedroom where the other tv is). This week they brought some crumbly dessert item and I found a piece later the baby must have held and dropped in my bed. I was like this is ridiculous! I stripped the bed and changed the sheets and told ds this is exactly why I forbid food in the bedroom. Yes, on rare occasion I have eaten in there, but I avoid items that make crumbs. Like a bowl of cereal and then take the bowl to the kitchen when I'm done. Basically if I want to eat and watch tv I just stay in the living room and urge everyone else to do the same.

My parents didn't eat in the bedroom and didn't want us eating in the bedroom. I do remember taking a bowl of food into my sister's room sometimes (she had a tv) but again I would try to be careful what item I brought in there and not leave it there. My dad was very strict about food and computers, too. We had to wash our hands before using the keyboard and weren't supposed to eat by it, but when I got older I'd eat by it with things that weren't crumbly. By my own computer, anyway.

• Like 1

This is exactly me, too!

I have one who has the sweetest heart. And I have to choke down the creations she brings me as breakfast, in a room I've been so trained not to eat in (since childhood) that I look like a starved prisoner all hunched over the food and shoving it in quickly in case my parents see me LOL.

I so very much love her thoughtfulness, but these are the times it takes Oscar-worthy performances on my part to show so.

• Like 4

Yes. It's luxurious. Who cares about a few crumbs ? Just brush them away! 

Where do y'all eat when you are sick ? I eat on a tray in my lovely warm bed. It's why trays were invented.

If I'm really bad off, dh will bring me soup in a cup or something like that. I really really don't like messy foods in the room LOL

• Like 1

No.

I can't say that I'm opposed to it, it's just something that never occurred to me to do.  It seems rather inconvenient.  Now if someone brought me something then sure.  But if I have to get myself upright and go get it . . . I'm staying up.  Sick folks here tend to hang out on couches or in recliners.

• Like 2

No, never at home.  No desire at all and we don't have a TV in our bedroom.  We only have one in our living room, so we eat in front of TV there.   :coolgleamA:

In hotels we eat in bed when we order food delivered, that is, unless there's a balcony or window with a view.  If there's a view, that's FAR better than TV, so we'll eat enjoying the vista having pulled up whatever chairs or loveseats happen to be in the room.

If I'm sick enough to be in bed, I don't want food of any sort.  Otherwise, my sick days are spent in my chair or on the couch - but I don't eat on the couch either.

I very, very rarely have sick days, maybe one every 5 years or so?

My other health issues make staying in bed more of a terror, so no plans ever to spend more time there in the morning than I have to, and at night I fall asleep very quickly.

• Like 2

Yes. It's luxurious. Who cares about a few crumbs ? Just brush them away! 

Where do y'all eat when you are sick ? I eat on a tray in my lovely warm bed. It's why trays were invented.

I agree.  I don't do it often, but on occasion, sure.  If something happens and there are crumbs, I can change the sheets.

I think this morning I'll serve myself breakfast in bed.  :-)

• Like 2

Sometimes, usually if I'm needing quiet time away from the kids. I have no issues about it, and just keep food on top of the comforter, not down in the covers. No crumbs that way. 

I'm sure my hedonistic ways are not some new fangled lack of manners or propriety either, as in Downton Abbey all the married women tend to take breakfast in their rooms on a daily basis. 

Michelle+Dockery+Downton+Abbey+Season+3+

• Like 6

Nope.  No particular reason other than it just never occurred to me to do so.  I'm not a super late-night snacker and I sure don't have anyone that is going to bring me food/coffee in the morning.  I've only been sick enough to stay in bed maybe twice in my life, and then I was far too gone to want to eat.  

• Like 3

I eat in bed at night before I go to sleep. Sometimes I have a sandwich, and I definitely have a piece of pie every night. I eat while I read and when I'm about to go to sleep, I get up to take my dishes into the kitchen and I brush my teeth. Works for me! I love my bed. It's cozy at any time of the day.

• Like 2

I just cannot eat in bed.  Mother's Day is the only exception, and I force myself to smile through it.  But, ugh.  No food in bed.  My husband, however, has no problem with it, especially when he works from home and wants to hide from children.

What do you do with DISHES in the bedroom?  I already have to patrol for rogue clothing that never makes it to the laundry room, and borrowed books that are most likely overdue at the library. Realistically, no one would bother to bring dirty dishes out of the bedrooms.  And I don't want to add another item to my daily hunting expeditions.

• Like 1

My father always brought my mom coffee in bed each morning.  I always thought that showed how much he cherished her (which he did).

I married a guy who doesn't drink coffee and I always wake up first anyway. LOL.

But when we first got married I discover dh can not stand crumbs in the bed.  Grosses him out.  He is an easy going guy usually, but that was one thing he just couldn't take.  So, no, we never eat in bed.

Unless someone is recovering from surgery or something.  Then we pull out the special bed tray.

• Like 1

My father always brought my mom coffee in bed each morning.  I always thought that showed how much he cherished her (which he did).

I married a guy who doesn't drink coffee and I always wake up first anyway. LOL.

But when we first got married I discover dh can not stand crumbs in the bed.  Grosses him out.  He is an easy going guy usually, but that was one thing he just couldn't take.  So, no, we never eat in bed.

Unless someone is recovering from surgery or something.  Then we pull out the special bed tray.

My DH HATES crumbs in bed.  But he still periodically eats in bed at night...then gripes, moans and hops out of bed every 15 minutes to try and clean off the sheets.  I've learned to sleep through most of it... :)

• Like 1

Absolutely! Yes, I eat in  bed every chance I get. Crumbs don't bother me, and I let the kids eat in their rooms also. I don't understand people who say they have never thought to eat in bed. I bet these are the same people who sometimes forget to eat :laugh: Crazy!

ETA: I keep a lint roller next to the bed to clean out any crumbs, dirt from feet/shoes, and kitty litter the cats have managed to track in.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Like 1

No, never at home.  No desire at all and we don't have a TV in our bedroom.  We only have one in our living room, so we eat in front of TV there.   :coolgleamA:

In hotels we eat in bed when we order food delivered, that is, unless there's a balcony or window with a view.  If there's a view, that's FAR better than TV, so we'll eat enjoying the vista having pulled up whatever chairs or loveseats happen to be in the room.

If I'm sick enough to be in bed, I don't want food of any sort.  Otherwise, my sick days are spent in my chair or on the couch - but I don't eat on the couch either.

I very, very rarely have sick days, maybe one every 5 years or so?

My other health issues make staying in bed more of a terror, so no plans ever to spend more time there in the morning than I have to, and at night I fall asleep very quickly.

I don't allow eating in the living room either (it's the only television we have) - except for very, very special occasions. and then the requirement is NOT ON THE FURNITURE!  Since we hardly watch television, it's not been an issue.

I got home from the grocery store once and all three kiddos ran up to me and said, "Daddy let us watch a movie!  And he let us eat in the living room!"  At my shocked expression, they hurried to explain, "He made us eat on the floor.  With plates even!"

• Like 1

No, we don't have food in any bedrooms. That being said, we also don't have TV in any bedrooms. I could see watching a movie in bed and having a bowl of ice cream. But, anything with crumbs would be a definite no. I also don't drink coffee in bed....I'd get too restless. And if I'm up, I'm up.

Edited by Guest

If I'm sick enough that I cannot get out of bed, I'm not going to feel like eating.

I actually have a couple of cute trays in my guest rooms, but none of my guests have ever used them, nor have I.

• Like 1

No.  The only places I allowed food were in the kitchen, dining room, or outside.  The only things in bedrooms were beds and clothes.

My grandmother used to drink coffee in bed.  My grandfather would get up very early and make the coffee and take a cup of it to her in their bedroom.  That's the only person I've known who had food in bed.

My dogs (Chihuahuas) have slept in the bed with me since elementary school, however.  Under the covers, curled up beside me.  It took dh a while to get used to that.  :)

• Like 1

No, I can't stand crumbs in the bed. Upper class women may have eaten breakfast in bed, but they had servants to clean up the linens. In my home, I clean the linens and I don't like making more work for myself. I will have tea or water though. Nothing else as inevitably a child wants to roll around on the bed and the liquid is knocked over, spilling everywhere.

It's another reason why I can't stand having a television in the bedroom. We had it in a prior house and someone always wants to have a snack in bed. I twitch, just thinking about the cookies or crackers falling underneath the covers. 

I have the rule of no food outside the kitchen, but it is violated regularly which is one reason why we're battling bugs throughout the house. I relax the rule for certain occasions like pizza-movie night. I lay out a large blanket and everyone is strictly required to eat their food in that space.

• Like 1

I have a kiddo who brings me a wonderful breakfast in bed sometimes. Before she started that, I had never eaten in the bedroom. Tonight I had a few bites of chocolate while hiding out and reading in bed. I'm probably on a slippery slope with my newfound decadence.

• Like 1

As for dishes, I just take my bowl or plate out with me when I leave the room. Not a big deal. They don't pile up. I'm old enough to know to take my bowl or plate with me. 

My littles don't eat in their room.

My teen does, and yes, it piles up, and then I yell at him. But he's eating at his desk, not in his bed. 

• Like 4

I don't allow eating in the living room either (it's the only television we have) - except for very, very special occasions. and then the requirement is NOT ON THE FURNITURE!  Since we hardly watch television, it's not been an issue.

We eat in our living room more than we eat in our kitchen/dining room.  We're pretty lazy when it comes to food, so it's dished out from wherever it's cooked and we almost always get our TV or movie watching time in while we eat.  Our discussions and general family talk comes at other times.

Our lack of eating in bed has nothing to do with keeping it clean.  It's just not our habit.  Our cats sleep on our beds and when we had dogs, they often did too.  We really only use our beds for sleeping, so it never even occurs to us to eat there.  It only does in hotels because there isn't that much good space otherwise - unless there's a balcony - with a view.  :coolgleamA:

If it's conditioned by how we grew up, neither hubby nor I ate in bed.  His mom would have done it for the "clean" aspect.  My side did it for the same reasons I've adopted.  None of us have ever had a TV in our bedrooms.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1