Menu

The Mom Cut

Moxie

No mom cut here but I've got the bathroom lighthouse hand painted with oils by my husbands grandma. Now i have the urge to remove them.

They are all like my mother in law to a T. "Dont ripe the wrapping paper dear, grandma saves that!" She once reused a gift tag to her own daughter that still had writing on it from when she used it for her daughters ex boyfriend.

Essentially it seems like hair that is easy care, not to young, not too old.

I can see the appeal really, I have fairly long hair but I've been thinking of going shorter - I'm getting old and grey enough that long can feel dowdy.

Edited by Bluegoat

I don't have the mom cut, but I know a ridiculous number of women who do. I've commented on it to dh before. The place it was most noticeable was at one of the local elementary schools where dd used to go for speech therapy. EVERY female employee in that school has the mom cut. It must be part of their dress code.

Around here that is the old mom cut. The younger mom cut is a stacked bob.

Here it's the new mom cut and the stacked bob is the old cut. I have a stacked bob, of course. I've had it for about 15 years, believe it or not. It used to be a very unusual cut.

• Like 1

Here is my question about this cut, or the stacked bob....how do you keep it out of your eyes when you lean forward to say, wash dishes or change a diaper? With my longer hair I keep it in a pony tail around the house, or a bun. With short hair I'd think it would be in your face every time you picked something up off the floor. 

• Like 1

I thought it was hilarious - dh curates SNL for me and picked it out as the clip I needed to see. (This is one of the benefits of having a dh who works nights and just leaves the TV on all the time. He chooses clips of things for me to see!)

But is it weird that I don't know any mom friends with that cut? Like, I know a couple of working moms with a version of that cut, I guess. Is it not popular in homeschool circles maybe?

I am one of those unusual people for whom the mom cut is far higher maintenance than long hair.

For one thing, you have to go get it cut, whereas I haven't had my hair cut in over 20 years.

For another, I would need to put a bunch of mousse in it and blow it dry with that cut, and then 'style' it--something I have no expertise in doing.

Whereas with my long hair, I just wash it and let it dry naturally and pull it into a side part or a big clip in back or something super easy like that.

• Like 6

In my own "mom circle" I'm in the minority by far with my very short hair. (pixie cut) Long, stick-straight hair, with maybe some large curls at the bottom, is far more common among the moms I've spent time with since becoming a mom myself. And that's been in three different states.

Edited by Xuzi
  • Like 1

It's alive and well here in my part of Texas! I can think of 10 of my friends and acquaintances who have that exact cut off the top of my head and probably more if I really thought about it. 

I did get that cut once and really loved it, but my hair grow crazy fast, and we don't have the money for me to be getting it cut every 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1

Lol, the versions I've seen ALWAYS look like a porcupine in back, and the quills slowly creep forward over time until just the bangs are left un-spiked.

I normally hate it when something is labelled "mom" this or that, but that was funny.

It is all over the place here.  I have a version of it myself, more of the inverted bob.  It is the only way my crazy hair looks "put together" without a ton of work.  Although, I don't porcupine mine usually...I just straighten it for work or let it go natural when I'm home.  

My hair is having a mid-life crisis.  My hair has always been curly, but with a straight section right at the crown in the back.  Now, all my gray is coming in straight.  As a result, my hair tends to be a frizzy hot mess when left to its own devices.  

On a side note...when I was pregnant with my oldest I chopped all my long hair off in a hormonal haze.  It was the worst cut...basically just 2-3 inches long all over, with straight across bangs.  I had gained 80lbs too.  And had ugly glasses.  I think I was the most hideous pregnant lady...lol!  

• Like 1

That cut looks very high-maintenance.  I don't see it at all out here in rural New England.  I wear my hair the same way I did when I was twelve.  It is so easy to just wash it and let it dry, or maybe use a hair dryer if I want to look nice.  

I had a brief short haircut in college when I wanted to look like Juliette Binoche in Blue; except that I didn't, and I couldn't afford to get it cut as often as a short hairstyle required.

I am one of those unusual people for whom the mom cut is far higher maintenance than long hair.

For one thing, you have to go get it cut, whereas I haven't had my hair cut in over 20 years.

For another, I would need to put a bunch of mousse in it and blow it dry with that cut, and then 'style' it--something I have no expertise in doing.

Whereas with my long hair, I just wash it and let it dry naturally and pull it into a side part or a big clip in back or something super easy like that.

That's what I always thought too, that short means actual styling and maintenance.  I have a ridiculous amount of hair, and it's certainly not fancy, but it's so easy.  Wash, comb, air dry, and let it go.  A bun if I need it out of my way, and a braid at night.  

And Where's Toto, I am totally with you on the long grey braids!  

Sometimes I get bored with my hair and think about cutting it a bit.  Ponytails are too heavy as it is.  But then I think, "I'd have to answer SO many comments about 'you cut your hair'," and I don't want to do that.  Plus, my men all like it long.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

I have very long hair that I wear in a simple ponytail, bun or braid.  I don't have time for a mom cut.  I would actually have to see a professional stylist (ick), and use product (double ick) and hair tools (triple ick).  But I assume my long hair is part of the reason everyone thinks I look like a teenager.  

I had a terrible short hair cut, that grew out awkwardly for years when I was 8/9/10.  I think it traumatized me.  I have a very visceral reaction to the idea of cutting my hair short.  Medium length hair is annoying because you can't do braids & easy buns.  Long hair for me forever.

• Like 1

The mom cut here is long hair. I even have it and I used to be a short hair girl all the time.

Just before Christmas 2003 about 6 months after my older son was born my mom and husband sent me to a spa. I had a massage, mani/pedi and took an amazing bath in one of their private tubs. I let the stylist talk me into adding a hair cut and she more or less gave me this same mom cut. I was 23 with hair I had only ever seen on 40 year old women. It lasted as long as it took me to get home. I promptly washed the styling goop out and took my hair scissors to it to render it a respectable punk girl cut. :P

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I have very long hair that I wear in a simple ponytail, bun or braid. I don't have time for a mom cut. I would actually have to see a professional stylist (ick), and use product (double ick) and hair tools (triple ick). But I assume my long hair is part of the reason everyone thinks I look like a teenager.

I had a terrible short hair cut, that grew out awkwardly for years when I was 8/9/10. I think it traumatized me. I have a very visceral reaction to the idea of cutting my hair short. Medium length hair is annoying because you can't do braids & easy buns. Long hair for me forever.

I could have written this post except I was 7 when my mom got me the awkward short cut.

Never.again.

*raises braid in solidarity*

• Like 2

For me, the humor totally wasn't about the specific hair style, but about the other "mom" stuff.

My plan for this weekend includes adding onto my beach-themed patio. And I spend a lot of time at places like Old Time Pottery (mostly buying beach-theme items to add to my patio). So, although my bathroom isn't an ocean and my kitchen isn't a farm, the underlying joke was close enough to home to strike me as funny. 

• Like 4

Here is my question about this cut, or the stacked bob....how do you keep it out of your eyes when you lean forward to say, wash dishes or change a diaper? With my longer hair I keep it in a pony tail around the house, or a bun. With short hair I'd think it would be in your face every time you picked something up off the floor.

It's too short to get in my face! When it starts to grow out, I tuck it behind my ears if t bothers me. When it reaches my collar, it's time for a trim. I should get it trimmed about every six to eight weeks, but the reality is more like every 10-12 weeks. The man who cuts it does such a great job that it looks good growing out, too.

I have fine hair and to style it I put root lifter on my roots and use a blow dryer, a round brush for the very front and top, I finger style the rest with the blow dryer. It takes around ten minutes to get it styled.

I think the previous mom who lived here had that cut. The bathroom walls are a swirling marble print that remind me of guylian seahorse chocolates and the kitchen has these awful barnyard/farm curtains I still haven't gotten around to replacing (5 years later lol, hoping to do it in the next couple of weeks since I have been overhauling the kitchen.).

My mother had 501 various shaped tiny bathroom soaps everywhere and last time I saw her had that cut. LOL.

I normally just hack mine off when it gets annoying, I think my last passport photo looked like I was rather masculine with a slight mohawk, also happened to have a cold sore the size of earth at that time..and I was wearing a  denimwear.......pretty scary photo LOL. I got people doing a double take looking from me to passport and sizing me up. LOL.

For the sake of my husband I haven't cut it in about 4 years (except self-trims) as he hates short hair. Its darn fine and knotty, so I mostly wear it around the house in a braided pigtail style, giving me a sorta Ellie Mae Clampett style LOL. I also only just took out my vertical nose piercing, so a mum cut, probably would of been the final chapter in scaring my neighbours, HA. :lol:

Edited by Ecclecticmum

I have very long hair that I wear in a simple ponytail, bun or braid.  I don't have time for a mom cut.  I would actually have to see a professional stylist (ick), and use product (double ick) and hair tools (triple ick).  But I assume my long hair is part of the reason everyone thinks I look like a teenager.  

I had a terrible short hair cut, that grew out awkwardly for years when I was 8/9/10.  I think it traumatized me.  I have a very visceral reaction to the idea of cutting my hair short.  Medium length hair is annoying because you can't do braids & easy buns.  Long hair for me forever.

This made me laugh because I had a super short pixie cut when I was 11 or 12.  Everyone thought I was a boy (I did get pierced ears out of it when mom saw I was so upset).  I always say that traumatized me so bad I will never have short hair again.  So far, that's true and I'm about to turn 47.  

For those of you who have/had the mom cut, how do you get it to do that in the back? Do you have to use a curling iron on each little piece? Dh and I were discussing it last night and I told him I'd ask. :P It looks like it would take SO LONG to get it to do that. 

• Like 1

For me, the humor totally wasn't about the specific hair style, but about the other "mom" stuff.

My plan for this weekend includes adding onto my beach-themed patio. And I spend a lot of time at places like Old Time Pottery (mostly buying beach-theme items to add to my patio). So, although my bathroom isn't an ocean and my kitchen isn't a farm, the underlying joke was close enough to home to strike me as funny.

Sidebar: I miss Old Time Pottery so much. We left Florida in 2007 and I still haven't found anything like it.

I found all of the other mom stuff funny, too. The centerpieces! I always end up taking wedding centerpieces home (at the end, when offered).