Menu

Please tell me these aren't coming back!

DawnM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those always make me look like a fat, stumpy troll. I always wonder who they are actually flattering on - I hated them even as a kid.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Well, I hear JNCOs are coming back so I was half expecting to get a link to JNCOs. And while I did wear the wide bell bottom type pants, I don't know that I could pull that off again (assuming I ever did) or that we should try.

When I hear culottes I tend to think of flowier material. But yeah, I think that sums it up!

Well, I hear JNCOs are coming back so I was half expecting to get a link to JNCOs. And while I did wear the wide bell bottom type pants, I don't know that I could pull that off again (assuming I ever did) or that we should try.

When I hear culottes I tend to think of flowier material. But yeah, I think that sums it up!

What are JNCOs?

Noooo!!! Some of the ones on the Nordstrom link look like pants I remember my great grandma wearing circa 1978 or 9 in double knit polyester after they'd already gone out of style.

That silk pair that looks like a full skirt, however, those I could get behind. But the Gap ones? You just know they're coming out of the dryer wadded up in a giant ball and will look even uglier than they already are. Requiring ironing of all those folds just adds insult to injury. Seriously, those things look like something I would have churned out in home ec class. What's next?? Front pleats on shorts? Double knit polyester and Peter Pan collars? Groovy.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 4

I don't care how out of style I will be. I'm never ever wearing coulottes again. Never.

I said the same during the (thankfully) brief revival of acid washed denim a couple of years ago. I'm old enough to remember how ugly it was the first go-round. Not getting sucked in a second time.

• Like 7

What are JNCOs?

They were really wide legged pants. Most if not all were jeans. I always pronounced it like "Jean Co." I don't agree with how they say it in the video.

I couldn't find very good google images. I remember some that looked better than what I found online. https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/6/6/17/enhanced-buzz-5388-1370553435-12.jpg. I may have only had knock offs.

I did not like them or wear them the first time. They are just wrong. A skort, fine. Fake weird wrong length shorts kind of looking like a skirt, no.

I do not, will not, could not wear them anytime. The really long ones and the puffy ones that almost look like a skirt are the least wrong looking.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

They're better than the shorts many girls and women wear that are super-short. I get tired of looking at butt-cheeks and panty-lines!

I'm with you! Never worn culottes but I don't think they look terrible on the models. And the top short shorts... Nooooo!

• Like 2

The reason I have worn Culottes in the past is that when we lived in the US, I went to a very conservative Christian school and we were allowed to wear skirts, dresses, and culottes.  A lot of us girls thought it was closer to pants, so we liked them.

In retrospect, it was still a bad idea.

• Like 6

I know these are coming back in style, but yesterday I saw (from behind) a young lady in very high waist jeans. She was not a large lady, but her rear looked to be about three feet long. Not a good look.

• Like 6

I was just on my dd's campus this weekend, and I swear, it was like the girls had dragged out all the clothes we left behind in the 80's. All the rayon. All the colors. All the cabbage roses. All the high waisted jeans. All the duck boots! Next up: Penny loafers, slouchy socks, and two polo collars turned up. After that, guess what folks? The future/past is grunge!

I am sticking with my 'uniform' - black skinny jeans and a black or grey cotton long sleeve tee with a neutral cotton cardi over the top if needed. Never goes out of style. :) Bonus: I can dye it all every once in a while to freshen it up!

Edited by Jen in NY
  • Like 9

Hmm, some of the Nordstrom ones look cute.  Others look amazing like what I wear to garden in, or what I see old ladies walking around in if it's hot but they don't want to show their knees.

Also, some of their shoe choices are really odd, like they were trying to see how many horizontal lines they could put across the lower leg.  My lower legs are short and stumpy enough without all that help chopping them up visually.

• Like 2

I'll confess that I *loved* culottes when I was a teen/young adult.  Actually, one of my all time favorites pieces of clothing was a pair of corduroy culottes that were SO comfortable.  It's been 25+ years since I wore them and I still think about those culottes.  I'm not a fashionista either (obviously!! LOL) and I don't think about my clothes all that often.  

But, I was much thinner back then and didn't have the perpetual baby bump.  I don't think I'd look so good in the pair you shared, Dawn. 

I rather like them. Guess I'm in the minority.

I liked a few. So much depends on who is wearing them. I thought the skirt-like ones were cute. 

I look awful in 90% or more of all fashion trends (shaped like a pear with an extra-short torso to boot, fat). I looked awful in 89% of all fashion trends when I was thin. 

The other fashion I can't quite get over right now is all the wildly-printed leggin/yoga pants. I just saw someone at the ballfield wearing a pair like this - horizontal stipres in 14 different colors. So very ugly (to me). Can't quite imagine putting those on and saying, "Yes! This looks so great!" I mean, I can kinda see the "comfortable" argument, but my purple velour PJ pants are also comfortable, but I'm not wearing them to the ballfield!

• Like 7

These look bad on the MODELS, so I can't imagine them looking good on any of us!

That is literally my first elimination criteria of a new fashion.   It goes back to when I first saw a bubble skirt in a Neiman Marcus catalog and the models looked fat.  A few weeks later someone was trying to get me to try one on, I said, "Those make a Neiman's model look fat."   Response, "Nevermind".   

I agree on the culottes. They look like part of a school uniform.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Like 3

I'll confess that I *loved* culottes when I was a teen/young adult.  Actually, one of my all time favorites pieces of clothing was a pair of corduroy culottes that were SO comfortable.  It's been 25+ years since I wore them and I still think about those culottes.  I'm not a fashionista either (obviously!! LOL) and I don't think about my clothes all that often.  

But, I was much thinner back then and didn't have the perpetual baby bump.  I don't think I'd look so good in the pair you shared, Dawn. 

You reminded me of my very red wide-whale corduroy bermuda shorts.  Man, I loved this things.   They went everywhere!   All my stuff was stolen in Spain, them included, and I literally mourned those shorts.  I was not old enough to wear them when they were new and fashionable.  But, my mother had lost weight pre-pregnancy with me because there was a huge hill and then 3 stories up to their apartment.  She bought the bermudas when skinny.   Put them away when pregnant hoping to fit into them one day.   I found the stash as a teenager and wore most of them.   Don't remember the rest.   I even thought about making some, but it wouldn't have been the same.  

Very soon I will be in my standard summer "uniform" - skorts and sleeveless or ss tops from the golf department of the sporting goods stores. I'm not a golfer, but the fabrics are cool and comfy, the style is active but modest and when they are on sale I snatch them up.

I am never in style! 

I detest culottes!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

Oh my, and I was just horrified when I found these while looking for my daughter:

http://www.target.com/p/girls-xhilaration-fashion-pants-ebony/-/A-50450406#prodSlot=_2_12

I actually think they're neat. Some of the culottes look okay too.

I spent the first few years of elementary school refusing to wear anything other than purple corduroy pants (in the early '90s). I don't care whether it's fashionable or not.

• Like 2

They're better than the shorts many girls and women wear that are super-short. I get tired of looking at butt-cheeks and panty-lines!

These don't seem as popular here now.  Two summers ago the university campus was full of young women with jeans cut so short the back pockets hung down below the cut-offs.  And there were a lot of strechy shorts that looked pretty much like underwear or bikini bottoms.

I am glad they are not so much in evidence. I am still having a hard time finding shorts at the store that aren't knee length or hotpants though.

• Like 1