Menu

How many pounds do *YOU* have to lose to drop a pant size?

UncleEJ

Just curious. I know that it depend on the person, where they carry weight, type of pants, ect.

I am having a flare-up of my Crohns and have lost close to 15lbs in the past couple of weeks. My weight is usually very stable so it was shocking to me that that was enough for all my pants to not fit. Even the tight ones I'd been hanging on to since before pregnancies.

So what is "normal"?

ETA : I am 5'5"

Well, if the truth be told, I need to lose 10 lbs to properly fit into the pant size I wear.  :P  I have been a victim of the Middle Age Spread, but I refuse to buy bigger clothes.  I am determined to get this nonsense under control, dangit.  :P

Good thing I am able to wear stretch jeans most of the time.

• Like 7

I'm 5'2" on a tall day.

At my high weight I had to drop 20-30 pounds to lose a size. I was in 3x's and tight size 24 pants, though, so I probably dropped two sizes in that frame but my clothes really weren't fitting properly to begin with.

When I am around the size I am right now it takes 15-20 pounds to drop a size. Anywhere from 180-215 on my frame is in this range of size dropping. I'm quite curvy and don't carry my weight in one particular spot.

Closer to my goal weight, at a normal BMI for my height, in the 130-160 range, I'm dropping sizes every 5-10 pounds.

Some of this has to do with how clothes are cut and sized - the difference in inches between a 6 and an 8 is smaller than between a 16 and 18, or 26 and 28. Also, think of it like a roll of paper towels - a towel or two off a full roll makes much less of a difference in size than a towel or two off an almost empty roll. So, too, with weights. The percentage size chsnge each pound makes is much greater at lower body weight than higher.

All this to say - it's very individual and complex, dependent on the starting size, frame, body fat distribution of the individual, and even their individual preferences in the fit of clothing. Someone like me who likes less ease in my sizes can go 'smaller' than someone who feels constricted easily.

5'4" -Well, that depends on how tight they were and how l0ose I want the next size to be. If they were comfortably loose as I like them to be I can squeeze into the next size around 5lbs but of course those would be very tight. 15 lbs lost and they would be hanging off of me.

I'm 5'2" on a tall day.

At my high weight I had to drop 20-30 pounds to lose a size. I was in 3x's and tight size 24 pants, though, so I probably dropped two sizes in that frame but my clothes really weren't fitting properly to begin with.

When I am around the size I am right now it takes 15-20 pounds to drop a size. Anywhere from 180-215 on my frame is in this range of size dropping. I'm quite curvy and don't carry my weight in one particular spot.

Closer to my goal weight, at a normal BMI for my height, in the 130-160 range, I'm dropping sizes every 5-10 pounds.

Some of this has to do with how clothes are cut and sized - the difference in inches between a 6 and an 8 is smaller than between a 16 and 18, or 26 and 28. Also, think of it like a roll of paper towels - a towel or two off a full roll makes much less of a difference in size than a towel or two off an almost empty roll. So, too, with weights. The percentage size chsnge each pound makes is much greater at lower body weight than higher.

All this to say - it's very individual and complex, dependent on the starting size, frame, body fat distribution of the individual, and even their individual preferences in the fit of clothing. Someone like me who likes less ease in my sizes can go 'smaller' than someone who feels constricted easily.

Yes, I think bigger sizes must range further. I'm in 5s now of course those are vanity sized, my usual size is a real 5 or around 3/4 vanity sized. I carry my weight all over too, although I'm more of an hourglass.

I will say it depends if I'm exercising a lot or not...  for me, weight training & lean muscle look a lot different than just weight loss. :)   I am thinner when I'm fitter although my weight is about the same. 

That said, I'm 5' 11" and its about 8-10lbs for me to drop a size. 

• Like 1

I am 5'8" with a thin build. I have a pretty firm 5lb range in jeans.  I put on weight at my belly first, so it really affects my waist measurement. I have maybe a 10lb range or so for dress pants since they are a bit more forgiving.

Jeans

135 size 6

140 size 8

145 size 10

Dress pants

130-140 size 6

135-145 size 8

140-150? size 10 (never been larger than 150)

My poundage has had little to do with inches lost.

I've lost 10lbs and 3 inches.

I've lost 20 more pounds and only an inch more,

I've lost another 10 and no pant SIZE, but had to buy a very different cut of jeans in the same size.

I have had a lot of my ideas about weight loss and size twisted on end in this process.

It definitely varies according to pant size, with larger sizes taking more pounds. It also varies depending on where you lose weight from first. If you lose from your upper body first, then it may take longer to show up as a smaller pants size. I've found that for size 8-10, it's about 20 pounds for me, but 0-2 is about 5 pounds.

I'm sorry to hear the Crohn's is flaring up. That's not an enjoyable reason to lose weight. :grouphug:

About 5. But I'm 4'11" in shoes. A little bit affects me a lot. I'm visibly thinner in the morning than I am late in the day thanks to meals and water retention. (Visible to me, anyway, not sure anyone else can tell. Except DH, but he knows better than to say. ;) )

I am 5'8" with a thin build. I have a pretty firm 5lb range in jeans. I put on weight at my belly first, so it really affects my waist measurement. I have maybe a 10lb range or so for dress pants since they are a bit more forgiving.

Jeans

135 size 6

140 size 8

145 size 10

Dress pants

130-140 size 6

135-145 size 8

140-150? size 10 (never been larger than 150)

Were we separated at birth? :)

I was 175 when pregnant with DS11, so I have weighed more than 150. :o

Thank you for you replies. I guess it's not so out of the question. I've always been thin and had a steady weight. The only gain and loss I've had was due to pregnancy. So this is new for me. Hopefully I won't lose much more.

Timely thread!  I have been doing the 5-2 diet for almost 3 weeks and have lost about 4 lbs.  Just this afternoon I realized that my current jeans (size 10) were getting rather baggy.  I went upstairs and pulled out a pair of size 8 jeans.  They fit great -- hooray!  And a size 8 jean skirt, too!  

FWIW, I'm 5'7", very muscular, extremely short-waisted, and I went from 153 to 149.  

• Like 2

I think if you're a size 0-4, about 5 pounds per size.

Size 6-12, about 7 pounds per size.

Size 14-20, about 10 pounds per size.

Size 22+, 15 or more pounds per size.

This would vary based on your height (less if short, more if tall).

• Like 2

It amazes me that people know this stuff.

Me too. Then again I always get floored at my size in the modern vanity sizes every time I go shopping. I think I jumped straight from a size 14 to a size 8 because I just kept tightening my belt. That was probably a 40 lb drop at that point.

No clue.

I notice a difference if I exercise verses not.  One can definitely lose weight without exercising.  One can lose inches with exercising without losing a ton of weight. 

So there are a lot of factors.

Plus for me I'm very short and often have to deal with clothing that wasn't designed for my height.  I often wear stuff that's too big because it's cut poorly for my shape.  So frankly, I do not get too hung up on the sizes of clothing.  I buy what seems to fit the best.  Ideally I'd have everything altered.  I'm just too cheap and lazy for that. 

Hmmm.... I don't need to drop a pants size, actually I still fit into the clothes I wore when I was 18. I have large bony hips so I don't think I would actually drop to a smaller size by losing weight.  But if I lost 4 kg I would fit more comfortably into my clothes

Totes jelly!  :laugh: