Is Underwear a Christmas Gift?

Jean in Newcastle

Is underwear a gift?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Is underwear a gift?

• Why, yes, it is.
    • Why, no it isn't.
    • Ubiquitous other

I had to vote other.  It depends on the recipient.

I could imagine my nieces, daughter, etc., enjoying a gift of some nice underwear - not fancy lingerie but nice undies that are maybe a little better than they would buy themselves.  It would probably be given privately.

My son would not appreciate underwear at all.  Underwear is infrastructure, not a gift item. 

BUT I could imagine him changing his mind as a young adult on his own, because the gift of underwear could free up more of his money to buy other things.  (I've told this story before - my sister, while an Avon lady, gave me a big carton of everyday products I used.  This was a wonderful gift because I was broke and it freed up some of my own money to buy something for myself.)   

I do remember being given red undies by my dad for valentine's day one year.  Gah.  I wanted to die.  My sister got a pair too.  There was no weird subtext; he just liked red and thought they would make a nice gift alongside the Whitman's sampler. 

Under two circumstances:

A ) One has expensive taste and considers fine-quality underwear that is 'exactly the kind you like' to be an indulgence. (This is similar to 'coffee is groceries, but fancy coffee for a coffee lover who has trouble financing his/her own preferences is a thoughtful gift.')

B ) The family is in difficult circumstances, such that past-prime underwear might be more normal than abnormal, and such that anything new and nice is considered a luxury, and in the circumstances are that 'wrapping something is better than wrapping nothing' because there is no available money for gifts that are less than useful. (This is similar to the idea that one might wrap sugary breakfast cereal, or new shampoo, or steak for dinner as a gift -- just to have a gift that is needed, but slightly better than what would be strictly necessary.) This would be for immediate family only.

I voted yes, but really it depends on the recipient.

I tend to wear my underwear until they are worn out, so I enjoy getting new underwear, or the funds to purchase new underwear. The couple times dh has given me new underwear for Christmas it's been in the form of cash or a gift certificate so I could choose my own.

My boys and one dd like getting brand new underwear. I don't give it alone, but I might stick socks or underwear in their stockings or wrapped as a gift in a box along with other items of clothing.

My other dd is mostly meh about the idea of new underwear, so I don't buy her any. My dh only likes one kind of underwear and re-stocks when he needs more, so I wouldn't give him underwear as a gift.

Cat

My mom buys all of my family new undies and socks for Christmas. I love it. Practical and usually better quality than I would buy. I wouldn't actually remember that one of us needed new underwear or socks until it was an emergency. Then I would take whatever Walmart or target had to offer.

So I voted yes!

I got underwear as a gift once as a teen. I was mortified. So no, not here. We do socks as a gift every year. not sure why. We just do. Sometimes silly sock, sometimes plain ones. But no underwear. If someone specifically asked for it, I would. My husband has given me lingerie for Christmas, but not wrapped and in front of people.

I'm revising. Underwear is a perfectly fine gift in my book as long as it's immediate family and it's not the starring gift. Undies from grandma, especially if it's the only gift, might seem weird. Although my great grandma used to give out soap and deodorant. I'm pretty sure that's why gift cards were invented.

Otherwise, I love giving my kids practical gifts at christmas. It's fun to unwrap things so my kids are liable to find underwear or socks or math books tucked away among the Knex and playdoh

I voted "Other."  I wouldn't get it as a gift for anyone other than my kids or DH.  I also wouldn't buy it if it was their *only* gift; but as part and parcel of the larger set of gifts, we mix up practical and just for fun items.  FTR though, I don't recall ever actually buying either of them undies as a gift, but we do do things like put toothbrushes in stockings (along with the fun stuff).

I voted yes, but it would really depend on the recipient.

My dd and ds1 have expensive taste in underwear. I give fancy socks and sometimes nice underwear in their stockings (not this year though). As a kid I would've found that rather embarrassing and would've been teased unmercifully by my brothers. Believe me, my mom tried it one year. I begged her not to do it again. Even asked her to just spend less on me for the holiday so that she could buy my underwear a different time of year. We stopped celebrating Christmas at home when I was 10. After that I only had to worry about what gifts my grandparents and aunts/uncles got me on my dad's side.

Dh gets a pair of boxers in his stocking every year.  It is our family joke.  He was given socks and underwear every year as a child. 

My parents also gave utilitarian items as gifts. Want to mortify your teenage daughters?  Put feminine protection products in their stockings. My mother did that one year.  She thought it was funny. My sisters and I were not amused.  We normally displayed our gifts under the tree for a few days.  Those items disappeared before any visitors could see them. 

My children would not like to receive underwear as a gift.  They do not consider any item of clothing a gift.   

Underwear is not a gift...but it is a stocking stuffer in my home...both kids got undies in the stockings....I was the kid who to granny panties from my grandma (so not even cute nice ones just big white ones) and it was embarrassing!  But undies in stocking not weird at all...but stockings also get opened all the same time so someone was not watching the opening of the undies.  

I ordered Star Wars unders for DS when Hanna Andersson had a sale and free shipping after Thanksgiving. The box got stuck in with the gift stash. So I wrapped them and then put them in a bigger box with heavy random stuff from the pantry and family room where I was wrapping. DS was cracking up pulling out a can of baked beans, jar of peanut butter, a hair brush, dead remote control, and finally, the unders. It wasn't a real gift. I was punchy at 4am, and it was a joke.

I vote yes, but for it to be a good gift, they need to be fancy/special or requested. :)

I chose other. It could be, but I don't usually pick it out. I have given DH new boxers as a gift several times, but it would not be the *primary* gift, KWIM? More like, hey, you needed new boxers anyway so here ya go.

My 5-year-old loves getting underwear because it means a new character. We spend many shopping trips having this conversation:

"Mommy! Look! They have XYZ underwear!"

"How nice. But you have Skylanders and Planes and Ninja Turtles and Turbo and Ninjago, etc. and you haven't grown out of them yet. No kid needs 50 pairs of underwear no matter how cool they are!"

I'm sure this phase will pass eventually.

I gave him abominable snowman and monster truck undies in his stocking last year and he was thrilled.

I remember loving the days of the week underwear I got at age 9 or so. As long as there is not a lack of traditionally fun gifts and the undewear is interesting in some way I think underwear works.

DS5 got a set of Minion underpants in his stocking this year. He was ecstatic. I buy basic underwear during the year as needed, but the fun, licensed character undies are typically reserved for stockings stuffers, and only for little kids. I would not put any in DD10's. (she did get socks, though)

I got them for each of the older kids this year as stocking stuffers, but they didn't fit because of everything else that was in the stockings, so I just wrapped them.  DD seemed kinda embarrassed by that (so I'll have to keep that in mind for the future), but the boys didn't care.  

For DH, yes.  Here's why.  The man refuses to buy new socks, underwear, and shirts for himself.  Eventually he is down to so few, I have to do the laundry more often to make sure he has clean clothes.  If he runs out of clean clothes it is my fault.  So, yes, he received a box of underwear this year and a box of work shirts.  His birthday is in several weeks and he will get new socks then.  

OK so I have to ask what is this about grown men getting underwear from their mothers?  I don't have a problem with unmarried "kids" (even college age) getting undies according to family tradition but once you've started your own family?  That seems . . . weird to me.  But as Texasmama said, my MIL had boundary issues and this sets my boundary radar tingling!  Maybe if the recipient doesn't think it is weird it is ok?  Or their wife?  (I would have a problem if MIL did this even if dh didn't, though.)

Well, I know people who took the Christmas money provided by the grandparents for their children, spent it on underwear, and wrapped it up for Christmas morning.

I know lots of people who have given / gotten socks for Christmas.  (Not "only" socks.)  I guess people figure it's nice to have another package to open if Santa's been poor this year.

So far my kids have not gotten underwear under the tree.  However, I did tell my dd this year that she should be happy she didn't because some people do.  I reserve the right to give underwear any time someone needs an attitude adjustment.  :P

OK so I have to ask what is this about grown men getting underwear from their mothers?  I don't have a problem with unmarried "kids" (even college age) getting undies according to family tradition but once you've started your own family?  That seems . . . weird to me.  But as Texasmama said, my MIL had boundary issues and this sets my boundary radar tingling!  Maybe if the recipient doesn't think it is weird it is ok?  Or their wife?  (I would have a problem if MIL did this even if dh didn't, though.)

MIL and dh's grandmother were also making him dental cleaning appointments after we were married, when he was in his 30's so yeah, underwear was the least of our problems with boundaries.

Yes, I think it is weird and overly personal.  When my sons get married, I have made a mental note not to give any tighty whiteys as gifts!

My dh had to endure so very many things that were weird that it didn't even ding his radar to receive underwear from his mother.  Now the year she bought the DIL's sexy teddy lingerie was just over the top.  I think it was a joke but still...Mine was red.  (roll eyes)

My nephew is 17 and wants a very specific brand/style of underwear.  They are not super expensive but if there is any tiny rip, or sign of aging or heaven forbid "discoloration" in said underwear, out it goes.  So he goes through far more underwear in a year than normal people.  But he is very specific about every piece of clothing not just underwear.  Anyways he is very happy to have new underwear for Christmas, he asks for new ones most years, he opens it in front of all the family members and it's really no big deal.  I guess in our family anything goes,  teenage niece got and opened new bras (that she requested) one year too.  No one was embarrassed, they are pieces of clothing that people need and so therefore are fair game for Christmas presents.  But our family tends to be pretty practical and down to earth and our gift choices tend to reflect that. 

some gifts have rules where it is okay in one situation, but not another.

underwear from grandma is fine (if unwelcome).  underwear from a causual acquaintence is not.  expensive underwear from a spouse should be given where the children don't see.

It is not uncommon for my sister or me to ask my mom for new underwear or vice versa. My aunt also frequently puts it on her wishlist to mom. Women's underwear is stupid expensive for what it is and it can be hard to pull the trigger on buying it. In that case, yes, it sure is. 

Unsolicited underwear is not a good idea or a good gift. Not only do you not know if the receiver considers it a gift, but they also may be a private person and embarrassed to receive it from you. And you might not know what they like.