Menu

Is IKEA a tourist attraction?

Jean in Newcastle

Is IKEA a tourist attraction?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Is IKEA a tourist attraction?

• Yes, of course. I think tours should always include Swedish Meatballs.
    • Nope. Great shopping but not a tourist attraction.
    • Ubiquitous other despite the fact that I can't figure out why you would need it.

IKEA looks the same even overseas. Just that the IKEA cafe has localized favorites. Småland is slightly localized overseas.

Silly trivia: Stanford U and IKEA East Palo Alto is on the same US101 exit. People think Stanford is a tourist attraction. We brought many visitors there.

When I visited Seattle with my dh many years ago, the wife of the guy we were going to meet took me to the Ikea there. She said, "Have you ever been to Ikea?" I said, "No." She said, "You've GOT to go!" So she took me. We still joke that she's the one who introduced me to the Ikea awesomeness. So my Seattle trip fondly includes Puget Sound, the fish market, the first Starbucks, and....Ikea. Definitely a tourist attraction to me!!!

our Ikea is a couple of hours away.  Whenever we go, we automatically invite sil to go with us as we all consider this to be a major road trip full of fun.  One time sil and her dh who have an online business, their internet was down so they went to breakfast and then made a trip to Ikea.

I wouldn't think the signage is not touristy so much as for bringing in shoppers who are coming from quite a distance.  (which was helpful as I was there sat night. it would have been more helpful if they had better signage on how to get back to the freeway northbound!)

I know there can be ALOT of shoppers who come down from Vancouver. 

places can have themselves listed as tourist attraction, including with the local chambers of commerce to bring in potential customers.  anything that get's listed with them is providing the 'come see us' materials themselves, and it's all about generating traffic.

Our local IKEA is listed as a tourist attraction with a sign on the freeway and everything.  Just a lighthearted thread to see if you think that IKEA is a tourist attraction.

we do that with Costco - and there are more of them.  or at least, more in places where we go.   they have very clean restrooms - and I love their dyson hand dryers,  they're *very* fast.

they also have food.

I did buy ds some Swedish fish.  he was trying to figure out where they came from.  they weren't stale . . . .

I wouldn't say it's a tourist attraction, but it makes a great rest stop when we are on a road trip. We get out, stretch our legs, take a walk through the store, visit the nice clean bathrooms, hit the cafe for a cheap meal, take a bag of meatballs home if we have an ice chest, etc. :D

They are very spread out, not a store in every city yet, so I vote yes.

As a matter of fact, just today my sister told my friend (both are visiting from Canada) that IKEA is not a store, IKEA is an experience. We were discussing whether or not we should make a stop at IKEA during their visit. :P

They are very spread out, not a store in every city yet, so I vote yes.

As a matter of fact, just today my sister told my friend (both are visiting from Canada) that IKEA is not a store, IKEA is an experience. We were discussing whether or not we should make a stop at IKEA during their visit. :P

I agree. There is not even a store in some states.

Obviously if you're visiting L.A. from Chicago then IKEA is not a tourist attraction but if you're visiting from a rural area then it definitely could be.

We had some relatives visiting recently from a country with no IKEA. My mom wanted me to take them there but I just stared at her (in real astonishment) and she dropped it. So I guess she thinks it's an attraction.

We don't have Ikea here and when I visit my sisters they always ask if we're doing an Ikea day.  The problem is that I want to buy stuff and luggage restrictions don't allow that....but our family stories do include one of me bringing back a wooden toilet seat in my luggage one year!!  Bought for a bargain price at Ikea.  We still use it.

I live between two Ikeas. I can be at either one in less than 30 minutes. I just wanted to brag.

Oh, that's just mean :drool:

I miss IKEA.  Where we used to live, it was 15 minutes away.  Even my son, who HATES going shopping in any way, shape, or form, loved going to IKEA.  Now that the closest one is 4 hours away, it *feels* like a tourist attraction!  

I hate Ikea but I've visited it in London, Hong Kong and Edinburgh.  Our kitchen came from Ikea and we are really pleased with it, despite having the spend three full days at the shop to sort it out.  Our nearest one now is a bit over an hour away.

L

I grew up in a state with no Ikea. It was a big deal, when we moved here, to be able to visit one. When guests come to visit, my kids always exclaim, "Ooh, we have to bring them to Ikea!!"

We've never bought anything there, the kids just like the maze of furnished rooms and the very inexpensive ice cream and soda, so it's a treat for them.

So, for us and our family from back home without an Ikea, it is a tourist attraction, or at least an experience.

And yes, I too have the luxury of being about 30 min. between 2 Ikeas :)

The very first time we heard about IKEA in 1998 when we moved to New Jersey, it was described as a tourist attraction to us. And we did end up walking through the whole thing before we left NJ, although we didn't see what all the fuss was about. They're a lot more common now, so I don't think they're as much of a tourist attraction now.

Now IKEA reminds me of my Swedish friend who was delighted when one opened in the town we were living in at the time so she could get real Swedish food.

I would say yes, though I've never been to an Ikea.  But if I were in a city that had one, I'd definitely stop by and do some wandering around.

When we go on our annual vacation, we always stop by Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop.  It's ginormous, tons of stuff to look at, and my kids love the large aquarium tank at the rear of the store.  We rarely buy anything (we don't hunt or fish, LOL, though we drool over the kayaks and canoes) but we consider it part of our annual vacation.  So -- another big store that we visit as "tourists."

I honestly don't get the draw.  There's one 15 minutes from my house.  I go about once a year to get bulbs for a light fixture I bought there, because you cannot buy them anywhere else.  

If I didn't have to go for that, I'd never go.  

My daughter and I study Swedish, so it's a cool destination for us because there's Swedish everywhere. Last time I went I spent more time looking at the books in Swedish in the display rooms than anything that was for sale!

Plus, the food is cheap and good, and we can buy real Swedish treats.

Absolutely a tourist destination! I lived in Houston for years and took Ikea for granted.  Now I live 6 hours from Houston, but that's still my closest Ikea.  Friends from here go to vacation in Houston.  Their list when they're there? Children's Museum, beach at Galvestion, Ikea.  

Amusingly, I used to work in a Boeing Building RIGHT NEXT to IKEA. But I never visited it until after my workplace had changed to a different location.

Now we live 15 minutes from a different IKEA and I *love* that (though we don't go that often -- it still takes time to get in and out. But even though we were there Saturday I can consider going back tonight. Or tomorrow night. because my daughter needs a shelf in her room to keep her from playing with her new alarm clock.)

We have an IKEA about 15 minutes away.  I went there *one* time, to look at something I had seen on the website.  It was a nightmare.  It was only a few weeks after it had opened and so there were people (supposedly) directing traffic - the parking garage was more annoying than the airport parking garage.  Then, getting inside the correct door was a challenge.  Then, the place seemed to operate in a one-way-only manner, like there was one path winding through the store.  After I found what I wanted to look at, I couldn't just scoot out - I had to find my way and wait for the seven people with the strollers in front of me on the winding path.  I tried shortcuts to no avail and ended up in places that weren't helpful.  Maybe I did it all wrong, but whatever I was supposed to do was not obvious.

I value time and efficiency in shopping and the IKEA store was not that.  So, maybe it IS a tourist attraction.

I have no plans to go there ever again unless I really, really want something specific from there.

After I found what I wanted to look at, I couldn't just scoot out - I had to find my way and wait for the seven people with the strollers in front of me on the winding path. I tried shortcuts to no avail and ended up in places that weren't helpful. Maybe I did it all wrong, but whatever I was supposed to do was not obvious.

Nope, you didn't do it wrong at all. You just had a typical IKEA experience. I liken it to being in a house of mirrors. You think you've found the way out only to discover, by bumping your head repeatedly, that it's a mirror. Continue in this manner about a dozen times, accompanied by children, and complete the experience with the addition of a large unwieldy cart piled with the enticement of heavy flat objects that you'll spend several hours assembling once home. Of course getting home won't happen until you've gotten all the seats down in the car in an effort to manipulate your purchases in and figured out seating arrangements for your passengers, throw in a few Swedish meatballs and you've done Ikea :lol:

I would say yes, though I've never been to an Ikea. But if I were in a city that had one, I'd definitely stop by and do some wandering around.

When we go on our annual vacation, we always stop by Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop. It's ginormous, tons of stuff to look at, and my kids love the large aquarium tank at the rear of the store. We rarely buy anything (we don't hunt or fish, LOL, though we drool over the kayaks and canoes) but we consider it part of our annual vacation. So -- another big store that we visit as "tourists."

I once had a first date with a guy to an Outdoor World. It rates as my best first date ever.

Kinda.

I used to take dd a lot when I was home with her as a toddler and preschooler. We had lots of meatball lunches. It was fun to go to the play area and eat in the restaurant, and see the rooms set up.

I like their stuff.

But it's not really a tourist attraction to me. I guess I don't see outlet malls that way, either--and those seem to be destinations for tourists.

Our Ikea is right next to a large outlet mall--I guess tourists have it made.

Years ago, at our first visit to an Ikea, my children called it "Pirates of the Carribbean," after the ride at Disneyland. You twist around, following a winding path with too much too see the first time through. Truly a tourist attraction.

I honestly had no idea Ikea was a big deal. We pass the one that is two hours away often but have never stopped. I've never had anyone I know IRL even mention Ikea. I may stop in next time we pass by just to see what the all the fuss is about.