Menu

Kids going to the movies alone

aggieamy

Would you let your (very responsible, sensible, never caused any trouble) 10 year old go to the movies (G-rated, small theater, you would drop off/pick up, she would have a phone) alone?  What about with a friend?

I know that there will be all sorts of opinions on this and I look forward to hearing them all.

Yes, if I thought both kids were responsible enough.  I'd be OK with dropping off my oldest with some of his friends, not others - he's 10.  I can't imagine letting him see a movie alone - he would never want to so I just can't imagine it.

With a friend, yes. Actually, I should qualify that to yes, at some theaters. We have quite a few around here. Some I would be fine with, others are rowdier and magnets for trouble. I wouldn't want them hanging out in the lobby of those if their ride was delayed for some reason. 

A 10-yr-old wanting to go completely alone would probably make me slightly suspicious, lol. That probably wouldn't happen. 

No, not alone.

I think my 10-yr-old is responsible enough to be left with a friend (I attended the movies with friends at that age), but I still wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, I have to take into consideration our local laws and attitudes about leaving elementary age kids on their own in public places, and I think it could be a potentially sticky situation if a busy-body were to notify CPS. Your state or county may have different laws and attitudes about this issue.

No, not alone.

I think my 10-yr-old is responsible enough to be left with a friend (I attended the movies with friends at that age), but I still wouldn't do it. Unfortunately, I have to take into consideration our local laws and attitudes about leaving elementary age kids on their own in public places, and I think it could be a potentially sticky situation if a busy-body were to notify CPS. Your state or county may have different laws and attitudes about this issue.

Interesting point.  My 10 year old is 5 foot tall and could pass for an older kid.  Her friend that she would go with is actually older but looks younger because she is little.  She's probably 60 pounds and maybe 4' 6".

Also a fan of the buddy system.  My newly 10 year old just got a phone.  That would help.  Would depend on the theater, but there are circumstances I would allow it with a friend if the theater didn't have rules against it.

I think the problem is if a stranger were to try to kidnap them before you ever arrived to pick them up. Or sat by them, harassed them, etc. My concerns would be more about adults they come into contact than anything else. Dh likes to remind me that we live in a very dangerous area as far as sex trafficking goes so I cannot shake those thoughts.

That's a good point.  I live in the capital of Boring McBoring Boringville.  The population at the theater the kids would go to would be yuppie moms with little kids and older people.  It's an interesting situation because about 40 years ago this area used to be new families and those people have slowly grown older and it's just recently that young families have started moving back in.  Half of the population are couples in their 70's and the other half care couples in their 30's with one child under the age of 5.  

I think I started letting my sibling pair go to the movies without me when they were 13 and 10. The 13 year old could go alone or with friends but the 10 year old needed to go with his older sister.

Yes. I would drop off no more than 20 minutes before start time unless I expect a large crowd at the ticket window and I would be waiting to pick up. Many theaters have had problems with teens and have a strictly enforced no loitering policy.

My son went to a professional hockey game at 9 with a friend and a major league basebal game with same friend thouh the other boys father was at the ball park but not on the same level.

Added note: Movie theaters seem to be stricter than other venues. The hockey game required kids to be 8 but one theater we were at required them to be 12 on afternoons without an adult or 17 without an adult after 8 Friday and Saturday nights wih bo one under the age of 8 even with a parent. The policy was needed as people were bringing their toddlers to the late late showings of R rated violent movies and the screaming child disturbed the rest of the movie goers.

That's a good point.  I live in the capital of Boring McBoring Boringville.  The population at the theater the kids would go to would be yuppie moms with little kids and older people.  It's an interesting situation because about 40 years ago this area used to be new families and those people have slowly grown older and it's just recently that young families have started moving back in.  Half of the population are couples in their 70's and the other half care couples in their 30's with one child under the age of 5.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but there are plenty of sweet-looking "little old grandpas" who turn out to be child molesters.

Obviously, the vast majority of people of any age would never harm a child, but of the small minority that would, there aren't any age restrictions on the behavior. It's not like people reach a certain age and stop abusing kids. In reality, it probably makes it easier for them to get away with it when they look old and harmless.