Menu

If you've solved the Legos everywhere problem...

umsami

what was your solution?

I'm to the point where I don't even care if I throw them away if I have to sweep them up in the dining room, or kitchen, or hallway…or pick them up in my bedroom.  Even if it's a mini figure.  We inherited a gigantic box of thousands of Legos and have added to it.  My kids do build with them every day, and I love the creativity.  I'm just sick of finding them everywhere, even in my bed!

What works? I thought about charging a penny per Lego I find at bedtime.  Would that work?

What did you do?

Limit the places legos are permitted to be played with. Child's bedroom and living room (or wherever best for you). Be firm. Projects are not be to carried room to room. Projects and pieces returned to storage space daily. You want a storage box significantly larger than the amount of loose legos so child can put current project away without dismantling. Be firm on daily clean up of designated lego area.

Playing with legos on a sheet and keeping everything in one room solved the problem for us.  Even though they sometimes take their creations out of that room, I never find loose legos around.  And it's easy to clean them up if everything is on the sheet.

I bought a clear plastic bin for each girl that fits under her bed.  It is much bigger than her amount of legos.  I also gave them some freezer bags for separating them inside the tub if they want.  Only one uses them for that.  They are only allowed to play legos in their bedroom on the floor and they use the lid from the storage to build on.  This keeps them visible on the carpet since the lid is white and keeps the pieces from getting away.    Any legos swept up anywhere else in the house are pitched at my discretion.  I don't buy legos, they buy their own or get them for presents so I feel no "investment" into it and have no problem throwing them away.  However, I very rarely find loose pieces anywhere and if I do, I holler for one of the girls to come and get it and put it away. 

what was your solution?

I'm to the point where I don't even care if I throw them away if I have to sweep them up in the dining room, or kitchen, or hallway…

What did you do?

This was my solution.  I told the kids that any Legos found outside the playroom would be thrown away.  That was more than 10 years ago.  I could probably count on one hand the number that I actually had to follow through with, and I haven't had a Lego problem in forever now. 

I require all Legos to stay in the boys' bedroom.  3 boys, all big Lego-maniacs.  600 mini-figures.

Yes, keeping them organized is a first-world problem.

They have a 4 shelf bookcase to display assembled creations.

They have a 3 drawer plastic bin for parts:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Wide-Cart-Black/16415880

And each of them has a plastic craft box for mini figure body parts:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plastic-Storage-Box-10.5-x-6.5-x-.875-21-Compartment/24741921

And yes, I would confiscate Legos found outside the room.

And yes, I make them create a clear path at bedtime from their door to their bed.

But yes, Legos are such an amazingly creative toy that I would never want to part with them.

My sister's kids have a large circular playmat with a drawstring along the edge.  They are only allowed to play lego's on the playmat.  Built creations go on the shelf and all the loose pieces get pulled together into the drawstring and then get stored in a washbasket.  Works a treat. 

My younger still plays with Lego, but she likes to sit at a low table, so the pieces stay on that and get swept into the storage bucket when she's done.

ETA: Here's an example of a mat.   My sister's has at least a 2 m diameter and is pretty bulky when pulled together.

ETA (again).  The biggest issue with Lego is that it is such a chore to pick up.  If you already have storage bins, something like a big sewing mat could also work to play on - then at the end of playtime you just pull the two sides together and funnel all the pieces into the bins.

The trick is still to contain the builders on the mat.  I'd confiscate stray pieces.

I don't have this problem with Legos, though we have those too, but just tons of teeny tiny toys (doll accessories, like tiny foods and shoes... and beads, lots of beads.... and other tiny stuff that DD mixes in these huge elaborate play scenes.)

Wish I knew how to keep them all put away and tidy.  DD hates to tear down  her "play scenes" b/c they take so much time to set up and she wants to play with them again the next day.   (Which wouldn't be so bad, but they take up her entire bedroom floor.... and sometimes come out into the living room....)

We bought sorting bins and they are only allowed to play in that room. When they are done they have a choice of sorting the Lego right away (usually not done because we're on to something else) or dumping them all in a big unsorted bin. They then have to sort Lego out of that bin every weekend. As long as that bin doesn't overflow I'm fine.

If I were finding them all over I would confine their play to one room with the caveat that any I find outside the room are mine.

Legos were played with in one part of the house only. They did not travel from room to room. If you really don't mind getting rid of them, put them in a bag every time you find one. If the kids miss them, you can try working out an arrangement that suits all of you. If the Legos are not missed, toss them out. I am in the camp of if you don't love it, get rid of it. Or if you don't want to toss them, can you gift them to a friend? My Good Will won't take any toys or games that have pieces so we ended up throwing stuff out over the years.

Our house is small and open concept...I've given up trying to contain them.

We have a lego table, bins of legos, bags of legos and legos that he keeps at the grandparent's house.  I still find them in my bed, down the hall, in the bathroom...

I have a big sheet that all the legos have to stay on.  Any strays get vacuumed up.  Creations go on a special shelving unit.  Dh and the kids know the rules.  I'm glad they all love legos but I refuse to be driven crazy by the darn things. :lol:

My kids have to clean up daily except for their bedrooms, so they are naturally more drawn to playing in their rooms so Legos rarely migrate to other parts of the house. Vacuuming is also a kid chore, so they have felt the pain first hand of accidentally vacuuming up a toy. They are pretty good about leaving nothing out and about. But...to be fair, they have grown up with me as their anal-retentive, type-A, possibly borderline OCD mother, so they know I actually get hives if things aren't put away properly or if things become disorganized and chaotic, and no child wants to be the cause of an itchy, irritable mom. (Yes, I'm weird. No, my mother didn't have me tested -- but she probably should have!)

What works? I thought about charging a penny per Lego I find at bedtime. Would that work?

What did you do?

Our issue was hair elastics, not Lego, but I charged a 10 minute foot rub for every elastic found! I enjoyed the foot rub, so I no longer got stressed about finding the elastics, dd didn't enjoy the foot rubbing, and she learned not to leave elastics everywhere. I would not charge money, I'd find a job that you you'd really like to get done and have them tackle it in 5 or 10 minute blocks as penalty for every Lego piece found.

We have a Lego room, with the bins for Legos, a stack of boxes for in-progress creations and shelves for display. Display sets sometimes are in other rooms, but actual building stays there. I can (and often do) have 6 kids building at a time, without issues.

I stored legos in 5gal buckets.  they could play with them in one room.  they did play on the floor, but we would use a dustpan to scoop them up.   you can also throw a flat sheet on the floor to keep them contained - then pull up the corners when it's time to clean up.  completed models, or under construction, do have a display shelf that is safe.  legos in other rooms are nonos.  (and I like the idea of charging for those.  :maniacelgrin:)

currently, they are in 16 qt &shoebox size clear containers sorted by color. (makes assembling a set item easier to find pieces.) people and animals have their own container.  I Noticed many of our people have no heads . . . . . . but that makes it possible to work at a table and not have to dump them all out.

I threaten the kids with lego banishment to the attic, but I secretly know that I can't follow through with this one. How could I when it is probably the one group of toys that gets played with every freakin' day and helps their creativity? And this is the one toy that will keep my son from pestering his younger sisters to death? Of course the kids haven't figured out that the threatened banishment is a hollow.

The premise: I hate mess, and I hate stepping on crap. The boys know this. It has been this way since forever. Every stray belonging that I step on/stub my toe on is liable to be thrown away with no 2nd chances. Some people think that I'm mean, but my house is constantly clean and I (very) rarely step on any of the boys junk...

The boys have a large (Q sized maybe) flat sheet that they use when they play with toys. If it is on the sheet, it is eligible for immunity from the 'throw away rule' if it is not on the sheet, they are SOL.

My sister's kids have a large circular playmat with a drawstring along the edge.  They are only allowed to play lego's on the playmat.  Built creations go on the shelf and all the loose pieces get pulled together into the drawstring and then get stored in a washbasket.  Works a treat. 

ETA: Here's an example of a mat.   My sister's has at least a 2 m diameter and is pretty bulky when pulled together.

ETA (again).  The biggest issue with Lego is that it is such a chore to pick up.  If you already have storage bins, something like a big sewing mat could also work to play on - then at the end of playtime you just pull the two sides together and funnel all the pieces into the bins.

The trick is still to contain the builders on the mat.  I'd confiscate stray pieces.

I didn't see the link, so I'm adding one or two

Dear friends of ours have a small lego room in their basement with many clear plastic containers w/ drawers to contain them. 

My lego players grew up and moved out, and now their kids play with them at my house!  The next generation is limited to one area in the living room. They have one big bin, and one play table they can play on.  The legos get returned to the bin before they go home.   :)

I tell my kids to clean up before every meal and snack. They don't complain because they just want to eat and since they do it 4 to 5 times a day they're very good at it. My 1 year old participates and "sings" while she does it. It's adorable.

This hasnt solved our Lego problem completely but it has really helped. I bought a vinyl circular drawstring bag that flattens as a mat to build on called the lay-n-go. It does keep the Legos all together, until one child carries off a creation and does a crash landing in another part of the house...

Legos do seem to reproduce on their own!

We store ours in trofast bins.  We have 2 of the trofast units side by side with a board on top and some good lighting.  The idea is to (eventually) get a stool so he can work there.  For now, it's a display space with lights because I haven't picked up a stool yet!  There are display shelves over the trofast units, too.  Usually, he brings a bin (or currently - 6 bins) to the kitchen table to work.  More room for friends to join in.  The shallow bins are better because it's easier to dig through and find pieces.  Any legos that don't fit in the trofast bins or go on the display shelves are in a large underbed box in his trundle drawer.  We also have smaller containers for mini-figs and special pieces.  

We have 20+ years of Legos here, it's crazy.

embrace the chaos.

Ayup. I've decided it's not something I want to squash in any way - and my kid is completely obsessed. (See blog in siggie.....)

His room is completely overtaken with shelves, a table, large bins for random bricks and many, many of those hardware drawer thingies that people use to sort stuff in the garage. The dining room table is covered by his lightbox and whatever creations he's blogging about. The one lego free area I enforce is the kitchen counter. :)

I'm with Creekland... I'm going to miss them when they're gone.

The premise: I hate mess, and I hate stepping on crap. The boys know this. It has been this way since forever. Every stray belonging that I step on/stub my toe on is liable to be thrown away with no 2nd chances. Some people think that I'm mean, but my house is constantly clean and I (very) rarely step on any of the boys junk...

The boys have a large (Q sized maybe) flat sheet that they use when they play with toys. If it is on the sheet, it is eligible for immunity from the 'throw away rule' if it is not on the sheet, they are SOL.

I second the huge bedsheet idea.  My boys were heavily into Legos when dd was born.  I was very afraid of the choking hazard so I restricted the Legos to their room.  Also, the had to spread the bed sheet and all legos needed to be on that sheet.  Clean up was easy - just fold up the corners and dump the spares into a bin.  After she got old enough to join in the play, we just said that the sheet had to go wherever the Legos went.  It sharply minimized the painful "Lego impaled in foot" syndrome. 

Whenever I did find them (either a creation broke when not on the sheet or something,) it would go into "toy jail" with all their other toys left out. The kids had to do chores to earn back items in jail.  At the end of the month, I either docked their allowance for each item that remained in there or I tossed them. 

ETA:  We stored the Lego pieces in under-the-bed boxes.  These were flat enough to find the pieces they wanted, but they didn't have to go through the task of sorting them by size or color (a never-ending pointless task.) 

I'm with Creekland... I'm going to miss them when they're gone.

Today is a day when we're cleaning up in prep for youngest leaving for college in a couple of months.

Our house will be a bit cleaner when we're done.  I'm not sure it's going to contribute at ALL to my happiness level. 

I'd love to see all three boys with a full out (fun) war going on filling my living room and spilling over with little green men, legos, cars, critters, and anything else they'd want to pull out.  I'll admit to missing those days and wish I'd taken more pics of the boys just being boys.  So what if they missed a piece or two while cleaning up?

Embrace the chaos is the right attitude IMO.

Just to add... the song that plays in my head now is Puff the Magic Dragon (taken the non-druggie way, of course):

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
Little Jackie paper loved that rascal puff,
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. oh
Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on puffs gigantic tail,
Noble kings and princes would bow whenever they came,
Pirate ships would lower their flag when puff roared out his name. oh!

A dragon lives forever but not so little boys
Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie paper came no more
And puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

I'm glad my boys have grown up and are doing well.  I'm happy for them.  I love watching them fly and seeing the difference they are making in their corner of the planet, but... I never knew time could fly by so quickly.  There are many things, that in hindsight, I wish I hadn't been so concerned and over-reactive about.  I know why my mom was always less concerned about my kids (her grandkids) than she was with us, but I wish I'd taken her cues at the time to modify my reactions.  Yes, a house should not look like Hoarders, but I love the "lived in" look and will miss huge parts of it.

Well, as a bit of hope, my ds17 has not yet outgrown his Legos but he is very good about keeping them clean. He no longer dumps them out just to build. He has a place for everything and he keeps everything in its place. He can build just pulling what he wants out of the bins, probably because he's an old hat and knows Lego shapes and how they can be put together to form whatever is in his mind.

A couple of weeks ago I redid my living room and stumbled on a Lego solution that has the Legos hidden but has DS playing with the more. I removed the couch that is never used and moved my seed starter table, a 6ft crafting table and put it where the couch was, add two chairs and stuffed the active Lego container under it, stacked the two large inactive Lego containers on one side and the hero factory/bionacle buckets on the other. I never said a word to DS about it but in less than a week he has brought his castle from his bedroom shelf and set it up on the table with all the smaller and similar themed sets. He has spent more time playing with the legos at the table than ever he did on the floor. 

I am looking to move the table into his room and put closet maid shelves on the wall with small tool containers for easy access Lego storage.

We don't allow Legos out of their bedroom, ever.  If I see a Lego anywhere else, I call the offender to immediately stop whatever they are doing and come and return it to their room.  I don't care if you are eating, watching TV, playing outside, you must immediately stop and come and get it.  That has greatly cut down on the "everywhere" problem.  We have bins for each color in their room and a shelf that runs the length of the wall under the window.  Creations go on the shelf, pieces go in the bins.  I make them get every Lego off the floor and in one of these locations before they are allowed to go outside to play or watch TV or we leave the house.  

A couple of things we did that helped were buying a large rug and making this the Lego area. I didn't care if the kids left them out mid project as long as they were on the rug. I stayed off the rug for the sake of my feet. The second thing was using organizing boxes with various sized compartments for putting all the like pieces together. I gave my kids my old Caboodle (a blast from the past, no?) and I picked up a Wilton cake decorating tool sorter that I found cheap at a discount store. I would imagine a tackle box (or two) or tool box could work too, if it has compartments. But the rug was the biggest helper of the two. I don't think I've stepped on a Lego since putting it down. We bought a rug with a very flat texture - the kind you could roll a toy car on easily. That makes the projects lie flat.