Menu

The beach....

fraidycat

Can someone please explain the draw here? Besides being pretty? Why do people WANT to go to "the beach"? I just don't get it.

I've been, I've seen, I have no desire to go back, especially not to hang out there for more than 10 minutes.

Yes, I live in Southern California, about 15 minutes from the Pacific. I've also lived within 15 minutes of the Atlantic in North Carolina. And have vacationed in Hawaii. "The beach" has done nothing for me in any of those places.

I love to swim in any body of water. Anytime. 

I could spend quite a long time digging holes in the sand--as long as I have shade. I won't burn myself digging a hole. I think I like it because ds and I do it methodically together. 

Did I say swim? swim. body surf. boogie board. I could do this for hours. 

I like to go out in early mornings for quite runs along the shore. 

Oh and swim. 

dh dislikes water, sun and sand. He's been on a few beach vacations when our kids were very little because the kids liked it. Now, I will take two of the dc for a 3 nights once a year. 

I love to walk along the beach, watch the sun sets (or sunrises) over the water, listen to the waves, etc.  That said, I like the beach in the morning or the evening.  I am NOT a sit and bake in the sun with lots of other people type beach person.

We live about 15 minutes from one of the best "hidden" beaches in the US with great sugar sand, clean water, beautiful lighthouse, etc.  I have never taken my kids "to the beach" to swim or sunbathe.  We do go mornings or evenings for walks, to see the sunset, build sand castles, etc.

You are in Southern California, so I will reply to this. I was born and raised there. How many times I went to the beach there, when I was young and why was I there... Dozens if not hundreds of times... For the fresh air, to relax, to get out of the huge city. To try to cool off when the "Santa Ana" winds were blowing and the air quality was horrendous. What I regret are the sunburns I got at beaches in California and in Venezuela.   If you do not enjoy going to the beach, you have mountains nearby and possibly you would enjoy going there. The nice thing about living in a free country is that you are not required to go to the beach or anywhere that you don't want to go. Do things that you enjoy and let other people occupy your space on the sand... BTW, after touring the Texas A&M museum (? ) in Port Aransas, TX; my enthusiasm for going into the Gulf of Mexico was lowered, considerably, after viewing the Sea Snakes and other creatures that can be found in Gulf waters.  I've Snorkeled, in Mexico, and that is pretty interesting, when you have clear water to see things in. When the water is clean and warm, it is relaxing and fun. I wrote to someone who is going to Puerto Rico for Spring Break, yesterday, about how I remember the water at my hotel in San Juan, being so warm it was like a bathtub. The experience was many years ago, but the memory of not wanting to leave there is fresh in my mind.  Enjoy what you do, whatever it is that you enjoy doing!

ETA: I just read some other posts. I forgot about the Sunsets. I especially remember watching spectacular sunsets, in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. And, in Mazatlan, also on the Pacific Coast of Mexico.

I love the beach, but I don't swim there. I have lived in southern California and now live in north Florida. I love to go just to sit in a chair under an umbrella and relax. I love to read while there and I love to watch my dds and dh play in the water and sand. I find the view and the noise relaxing. I used to enjoy the smell as well but I can't smell anymore.

My dds enjoy going the most when the jellyfish are numerous. They scoop the ones up that get brought in in the tides and send them back out to sea.

I love the beach. I love to sit and dig my feet in the sand. I love watching my kids (and other people's kids) drag buckets of water to pour into trenches and holes they dig in the sand.  I enjoy tide pools and searching for crabs that the kids collect in a big bucket for a time,  and then set free. The sun on my body mellows me out. I love the sound of the beach...laughter, surf, all of it.   I even love the little floaties the toddlers wear. lol We have a beach membership, and some of my best memories are of summer; my kids cannon-balling off the rafts, taking swimming lessons, making sand castles and moats. It's my happy place.

I accept that some people do not care for the beach, and I appreciate it. The parking is tough enough! :)

The sound of the water relaxes me.  I'm usually a go-go-go person, but on the beach, I can relax.  

I LOVE walking in the sand.  I love that my kids are so active on the beach - beach volleyball, swimming, surfing, etc.  We love snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, etc.  

I'm very jealous that you are close to the beach!!!

I love it almost all of it - the water, the sound of the waves, the sunrises and sunsets, the storms...I could go on forever!

I don't love the sand afterwards, but I have crazy rituals in place to deal with it - bucket of water left in the hot car to rinse off in, mesh bags for sand toys, whisk broom for stubborn dry sand.

I love any body of water, too - rushing streams, tubing down rivers, kayaking, my local pool in the morning during early-morning lap swim and in the evening after dinner. Even ice skating seems to be a way to commune with water for me.

I took SCUBA diving in college, but I can't dive now because of the cheap life insurance my husband and I have, but it's up when my daughter turns 20, so after that, I'm heading someplace warm and beautiful for an amazing SCUBA trip. I snorkle now, and I love that, too.

My favorite beaches are Southwick on Lake Ontario, Cape Charles on the Chesapeake, and Assateague Island National Seashore.

I don't really believe in astrology, but I'm an Aquarius, so maybe that's why I just absolutely love being near water. :)

I love it, but not so much with kids, lol.

I don't know, there's just something about hanging out on the edge of the earth, breathing in the salt air, craziness behind you, wide open peace in front of you...

I miss the beach.

But, again, it's just not that calming with kids!

I'm mixed.

I love water, love to swim, love being outside.

But I hate the sun and sand makes me twitchy. Just the thought of sand sticking to me right now is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

ETA: it's hard to find people who'd like to go to the beachy or swimming on a cool, cloudy day!

Why I love the beach:

The sun (viewed from under an umbrella---- the colors are just so vibrant!), the sound of the water, the ocean breeze, the feel of the sand as I dig my toes in, the calls of seagulls (in the distance, not near me!), catching sight of an occasional dolphin or water bird, watching boats/ships go by.... I love it.

What I hate about the beach:

Sunscreen. I despise the feel of sunscreen and my Scottish heritage skin burns easily, so I hide under an umbrella. I hate when kids run by kicking sand up all over me & my towel. I also hate when people bring radios and blast music. I don't want to listen to other peoples' music, especially when there is metal playing on one side of me and country on the other. Because of my list of 'hates', we only go off-season. :D

I'm not a big ocean swimmer although I do go in some times~~~ but that requires sunscreen.....  :tongue_smilie:

This winter we've had about 70 inches of snow. It's still on the ground and has been snow covered since mid-December.  The average temp here this past month has been 15. 

In two weeks I'm going to visit my inlaws and I can get to a pretty beach in under an hour. You can bet I am going to go and walk on the beach, toes in the sand, water lapping at my ankles, with the sun warming my white, dry itchy skin.   I don't want to spend all day, and certainly not make a whole vacation out of it...but a few hours of quiet, pretty weather spent at a beach is just what I need. 

If I lived near a beach I probably wouldn't enjoy it much.  Since I get there so rarely, I do enjoy short visits. 

But I totally get that some people don't care for it. I feel that way about theme parks. 

I grew up in NJ with a father from Pomona, CA, and his idea of going to the beach was to go all....day....long. Swim. Sit. Swim. Bodysuef. Maybe save a life (he did that a lot). It was a bit of a bore on a two-week August vaca.

Now, the way we do it is different. You may have seen guys like me, called "beach contractors." My set up includes an 8 foot patio umbrella, chairs, cooler(s), and sand toys, all towed on a hand truck I modified with kyak dolly wheels. You want shade? No prob. Shoot, I'm looking for a way to get more shade. We had a folding canopy, but the sand wrecks the frame pivots.

Every child needs a decent sized hole to sit in...in the shade. Baby pool optional but buckets essential for any self respecting drippy castle.

No, the beach is meant to be a mult-purpose, comfortable place best taken in moderate doses. Four hours, assuming a breeze and no bugs sounds about right; five plus, and we'll prob do something non beachy in town the next day. Water temp is good if it approaches to just below bathtub range, and I'm too old to deal with jellyfish.

But why the beach, aside from NJ having one? Infinity. It's the nothingness of the horizon, beyond which I know there are other continents, sure, but the horizon helps me feel small, connected, and at peace.

To go with kids :). As a kid, I loved the beach! We went almost every day of the summer and stayed for hours! Building in the sand, riding rafts, jumping waves, finding shells.. As a young (single) adult, it was a place to hang with friends, walk, read, and play volleyball. Now, as a mom, it's a place to take my kids who enjoy building in the sand and jumping waves :). I stay under the umbrella and read or chat to another mom while we watch. But I will say the beach was a bigger part of my life when I lived in Philly versus living in Florida now.

Considering my first trip down the shore was when I was three months old, I don't know what life would be like without going to the beach. My little island that I love so well is so dear to my heart because of the precious memories we have made there. The sun, the sand, the surf - the majesty and power of an angry, stormy ocean and the calming, soothing rhythm of the tide - the song of the seagulls, the quick steps and swooping flight of sandpipers, the glorious show of playful dolphins, the breathtaking sunrises and sunsets....I could honestly go on and on.

It simply cannot be explained. You either love it or you don't.

DW grew up in NE Philly, and everyone drove across to Ocean City, NJ. I grew up in NE NJ and we always thought OC wad too big and city-like.

I grew up in NE Philly too! Morrell Park to be exact. We spent our summers in Wildwood. We go to North Wildwood now.

I love to walk along the beach, watch the sun sets (or sunrises) over the water, listen to the waves, etc.  That said, I like the beach in the morning or the evening.  I am NOT a sit and bake in the sun with lots of other people type beach person.

We live about 15 minutes from one of the best "hidden" beaches in the US with great sugar sand, clean water, beautiful lighthouse, etc.  I have never taken my kids "to the beach" to swim or sunbathe.  We do go mornings or evenings for walks, to see the sunset, build sand castles, etc.

This sounds lovely.

I love it, but not so much with kids, lol.

I don't know, there's just something about hanging out on the edge of the earth, breathing in the salt air, craziness behind you, wide open peace in front of you...

I miss the beach.

But, again, it's just not that calming with kids!

Definitely. Bah! Maybe that's why I don't like it. Trying to keep suicidal maniacs alive at the beach is not fun. I'm not a water person much at all. I can swim, but water is not really my cuppa. I love that both of my kids can swim now, so I can sit in the chair beside the pool and let them play and I don't have to get in the water. But, I can't do that at the beach - DS is not a strong enough swimmer.

I love beaches in the winter. The Oregon coast in January is misty and otherworldly. Cape Cod beaches are glorious in the wintertime.

But there is no way you'll get me to a beach in the summer.

Northern winter beaches sound awesome. I guess it just goes with my "I'm not a summer person" personality. Give me fall (my fave), winter (bring on the snow!), and spring (always refreshing after a long winter) anytime. Summer is just...meh, whatever.

It's the nothingness of the horizon, beyond which I know there are other continents, sure, but the horizon helps me feel small, connected, and at peace.

It is exactly this for me! I look out into the vast ocean and all my problems seem insignificant. I feel small, in the best kind of way. I think and breathe so clearly at the beach.

(We also like boogie-boarding. :tongue_smilie: )

I love the smell of the sea...the sound of the ocean...the warmth of the sun...the sand in my toes (although I could do without it getting other places...haha).  Looking at houses here in Italy, the ones with a sea view I would actually sit at for about 15 minutes just taking it all in, and I would feel the stress melt away for a moment.  Then it was back to reality (that the house wouldn't work), and we were on our way. 

Beachcombing: picking up shells, sea glass, and driftwood, watching shorebirds and the occasional seal, beach roses, beach peas, clambering over granite islands, peering into tidepools, watching people fly colorful kites in the blue sky, listening to the methodical crash of the waves, the late afternoon lighting, kids entertained for four full hours in the sand and the waves without bothering me once...

Okay, this will sound kind of weird but I don't really like the beach.  I don't like sand or sun or hot weather.  I think the only places humans should voluntarily get wet are in a shower or bathtub (and maybe in the rain).

But I do love walking on the beach right before sunrise or after sunset.  And as Seasider said, looking at an ocean makes me feel close to God (as does looking at mountains).

Dd15 loves the beach, especially under an umbrella to shield her face. She prefers it to be somewhat quiet. She doesn't like noisy beaches. She likes lying still, listening to music softly, and listening to the waves rolling in. She likes the feel of the warm sun. She likes the feel of the sand, though she likes to lay on a towel when she's being still. She likes the feel of the waves hitting her body as she walks into the water, but doesn't submerge herself.

I am indifferent. The last beach trip we did was nice, but we stayed in a super nice hotel that had their own private section of beach. We rented an umbrella and two lounge chairs for the whole day. I was out of the sun and listening to an audio book. Dd and I weren't reallly interacting, but we were there for one another. I don't get into the water at all. I don't like wet sand. Mostly, my enjoyment comes from sitting with my dd as she completely relaxes, something I rarely see her do at home.

I like being at the beach. I don't like hours on the beach, and it is more the sun than the sand that makes me feel I have had enough.

But I like being there - walking on the beach, listening to the ocean, watching children and dogs play. I like sitting on the he porch looking out over the marshes. I like watching osprey dive for fish and spying the heron, egrets, cormorant. I like the way it smells, and I like going into town where there are so many well preserved homes and churches from prior centuries.

I have many happy memories associated with the beach.

However, I can't deal with crowded beaches. I have had life long access to very quite, beautiful, less visited beaches that are surrounded by wetlands. I would be less interested in a Beach with hotels and restaurants on it, crammed with people.

There are so many different kinds of beaches--Dh spent part of his teen years in FL by Ft. Lauderdale. That beach is totally different than the Outer Banks (the way it USED TO BE, 40 years ago). He also worked with runaway teens at Covenant House our first year of marriage, which further colored his opinion of the beach. We've been to California beaches and Israeli beaches, NC beaches, too--each offers a unique experience.

To me, the beach I love is the 2 weeks, 4 plex right on the beach (we didn't even have a dune), easy living (the place had a picnic table IN the apartment), sea breeze, kids to play with, tinny transistor, no TV (and no computer as they weren't invented yet), Dad relaxes, feel the waves as you sleep  kind of beach. Just enough people to make it interesting, not enough for side by side umbrellas. Go out for a sunrise walk, in for breakfast, out til lunch, in for a nap with the window open and the salt air pouring thru...Oh my, I loved it.

Can someone please explain the draw here? Besides being pretty? Why do people WANT to go to "the beach"? I just don't get it.

I've been, I've seen, I have no desire to go back, especially not to hang out there for more than 10 minutes.

Yes, I live in Southern California, about 15 minutes from the Pacific. I've also lived within 15 minutes of the Atlantic in North Carolina. And have vacationed in Hawaii. "The beach" has done nothing for me in any of those places.

For us it's he doing of nothing.  We went last year when it was too cold to get in the ocean.  We got in the heated pool.  To swim and play.  But it is the doing of nothing.  But for us it's a vacation.  I've never lived 15 minutes from the beach.  The closest I've been is 30-45 minutes.  When you have to plan to be there all day.  Even then I enjoyed the beach.  Play in the surf.  Sit and read on the sand.

Do nothing.  Nothing big.  Nothing with great thought.  Sit and read.  Enjoy the people you are with.  Explore the silly little shops.  Watch movies.

I live, born and raised, on Cape Cod.  I love the ocean, I hate sand.  I love walking on the beach but I hate being trapped in the sun.

I love the sound, the beauty, the timelessness of the water.  I hate the tourists.

I love beachcombing but it kills my bad neck.  I love photographing my kids on the beach.  I love playing in big surf.  I hate seaweed.

So, all in all, it's a love/hate thing.  But it's where I live and I can't imagine it otherwise.

We live near Panama City Beach, FL. It's a cheap day of fun. We always go to the state park, which is absolutely beautiful, calm water & super clear (The Jetties at St Andrew's). I don't swim - but my kids and husband love too. I enjoy sitting with a book and chatting. We always pack a lunch & go with a few families. Very fun! :)

We love Pier Park too. We can walk there from the beach and shop & eat -- then go back to the beach!

I am not a beach person.  Don't get me wrong, I do love to visit, particularly with good girl friends who like to sit and drink coffee and watch the waves or to go on a long walk and talk.    But I like it for vacation, not to live next to.

I would much prefer to live on a large lake in the mountains.  

I think a lot of this has to do with where I grew up.  I grew up in the mountains.  It was beautiful.  Green, luscious, pretty.

When I moved to Los Angeles as an adult I loved the mountains and much preferred living in the foothills to the flat areas of Orange County or near the beach.  However, I will say I loved the choice of heading to the beach for the day.  I do miss that option here in NC.

My boys have no desire to go the beach.  They too ask what in the world they would do for a week at the beach.  :crying:   So, we go to the mountains or Disney.

I have lived near and swum in 3 different oceans.  I grew up near the Indian Ocean, lived on the W. Coast for over 20 years near the Pacific Coast, and now live on the East Coast and go to the Atlantic Ocean.    If I can get to the Arctic I will!  :laugh:

Dawn

On a side note ...

When we lived in CA for a year (Sacramento) I went on a women's retreat to the beach. I grew up going to FL & had no idea that the beach we were headed too would be so different! I packed a bathing suit, shorts, sunscreen, lol. It was freezing cold and the waves were huge and choppy - rocks everywhere! I was very ill prepared to say the least. I had to borrow socks and clothes from someone :)

I'm mixed.

I love water, love to swim, love being outside.

But I hate the sun and sand makes me twitchy. Just the thought of sand sticking to me right now is giving me the heebie-jeebies.

ETA: it's hard to find people who'd like to go to the beachy or swimming on a cool, cloudy day!

LOL - I'm the same way.  I also don't like the beach because of the crowds.  The only beach I truly loved was the ones we visited in Maine near Acadia.  Beautiful beaches, but not the type that people laid around and sunbathed on.  I think I'd probably love the beaches of the PNW as well, but I've never been.

We live near Panama City Beach, FL. It's a cheap day of fun. We always go to the state park, which is absolutely beautiful, calm water & super clear (The Jetties at St Andrew's). I don't swim - but my kids and husband love too. I enjoy sitting with a book and chatting. We always pack a lunch & go with a few families. Very fun! :)

We love Pier Park too. We can walk there from the beach and shop & eat -- then go back to the beach!

Love St Andrews. Used to do a lot of scuba diving off those jetties during slack tides. Still have a sea urchin spine tip embedded in my knee from one wrong reading of the tide tables and the unavoidable climb over the rocks in full gear. I remember when it was just sand, rocks and a black top parking lot.

On a side note ...

When we lived in CA for a year (Sacramento) I went on a women's retreat to the beach. I grew up going to FL & had no idea that the beach we were headed too would be so different! I packed a bathing suit, shorts, sunscreen, lol. It was freezing cold and the waves were huge and choppy - rocks everywhere! I was very ill prepared to say the least. I had to borrow socks and clothes from someone :)

ahahaha--can so relate. We went to Corona Del Mar for our 25th anniv. I had no idea CA water was freezing! I felt so stupid.

I like a huge beach where you can walk for miles--ours was a little beach that curved around, like a cove would be, I imagine. It was lovely, but I think I like the unconfined feeling of the big beaches in NC.

dh was born on an island and has lived on an island , always within walking distance to a beach all his life , except for the time he went to graduate school in Texas and met me.  We moved to NJ (on an island) and I used to always go to the beach with him and his family.  We honeymooned in the Cayman Islands.  I used to love to go in the ocean and then our ds came along who cannot be at the beach, even with sunblock and under an umbrella, he gets very sick.  So I would stay home with him while dh and dd went to the beach.  I got out of the habit and now only like to walk on the beach , or sit and listen to the waves. But only in the off season,  never in the summer.  I love walking on the beach in the winter but have no desire to go back in the ocean.  But I love being in a boat out on the ocean, just not in the ocean .   I had actually been trying to talk dh into moving off shore for years.  We finally did this Dec.  We are now a 15 drive from the ocean but we were able to sell our old, falling down, in need of many repairs beach house for about $175,000 more than it cost us to buy a brand new, much larger, with many upgrades, finished basement, wooded lot, etc and now dh drives to the beach.  He loves living off shore now. He was getting tired of all the flooding .

I like the beach to chill out at for an afternoon but I'm not one who would take a vacation at a beach or go there day after day after day.  

Its the same as a park... just a place to hang out with friends for a while and let the kids run around.  Other than swimming, there are fish and star fish to catch, crabs and mollusks to put in buckets, shells to find, castles to build, waves to jump over, friends to bury.  You can go for walks and not worry about traffic.  Thanks to homeschooling, we can head to the beach during the weekdays when its not busy and avoid the weekend crowds!   

I cannot begin to explain the depth of my love for the ocean.  It soothes me and calms me like nothing else can even come close to doing.    The sight, sound, and smell of it can and has literally moved me to tears, particularly if I've been particularly stressed.  It's like all of my cares just melt away.  It disarms me and I'm able to let go of the negative energy.  I imagine that some particularly religious people feel the same way when entering a house of worship.  This is not hyperbole.  It really does affect me that way.

The beach is the one place where I don't even care if there's a crowd.  For some reason all of that is muted and my focus is completely on the tide rolling in or flowing out, and the feel of the sand under my toes, and the feel of the sun on my (heavily sunscreened) skin.  But really, I love a beach even in the rain.  It's my version of heaven.

I grew up in CA, 5 minutes from the beach. I am now landlocked and feel like I am dying without water.

The ocean was such a place of comfort for me. It was huge and vast and beautiful, and the water always seemed to change. If I was upset, I would go sit by the cliffs, and the water was deep blue, and the waves would crash hard against the tide pools and I felt like it was mad with me. Or when I was sad, I would go walk the shore, and the water was grey and calm, and would kiss my feet, trying to cheer me up. And when we were having fun and splashing and crashing in the waves, it felt like another playmate.

Most importantly, it was always there. I knew, if I turned a bend in the road, it would be there, constant and dependable.

The ocean, is my favorite place in all the world.