Menu

Just for Fun: Does This Recipe Sound Yummy or Gross to You?

Crimson Wife

Does This Recipe Sound Yummy or Gross To You?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Does This Recipe Sound Yummy or Gross To You?

• Yummy!
    • Blech!
    • Meh...I'd take it or leave it
    • Obligatory other

I'm curious to hear the Hive's response to this recipe that my MIL posted on her FB (under the hashtag #getskinnywithsnacks)

Butterfinger Dessert

Ingredients: 1 prepared angel food cake

1 (1 ounce) package fat-free sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (larger size)

2 (8 ounce) containers fat-free Cool Whip

4 (2 1/8 ounce) size Butterfinger candy bars

1 1/2 cups skim milk

Directions: Spray a 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray. Tear angel food cake into bite size pieces. Prepare pudding with 1-1/2 cups of skim milk and mix with 2 containers of Cool Whip Free. Crush candy bars. Layer 1/2 cake, 1/2 of pudding mixture and 1/2 of crushed Butterfingers. Repeat layer.

I would say gross, but that would be the case for anything with Butterfingers as an ingeredient. If it had a different kind of candy bar, I'd give it a try. It's not much different from a lot of trifle recipes. The recipe for Snickers apple salad looks weird on paper, but it's yummy.

Too sweet for me these days though my kids would probably try it.  Some might have an issue with the texture.

If I were making it, I would use full-fat ingredients.  I don't quite get (or maybe just don't agree with) the point of choosing fat-free ones in this sort of recipe.

eta, along the same line, i don't get the sugar-free pudding.   As much as I try to reduce sugar, i dislike artificial sweeteners tremendously.  Plus, it doesn't make sense in light of the other sugar-full ingredients.  I would rather see a homemade low-sugar pudding, without artificial sweetener, if too much sweetness from the other ingredients is the reason for the sugar-free pudding.

I said delicious because a grocery store near me sells Butterfinger Fluff that is to die for.  Seriously, you wouldn't think it, but it's addictively good.  I could totally see making a trifle with it.

However, after I voted delicious, I realized the recipe was all fat-free, sugar-free stuff that I would never eat.  Made with real whipped cream and a box of regular pudding mix?  I'd be all over that.

I like butterfingers. I like custard (which is what the pudding is reaching for). I like cream (which is what the cool-whip is reaching for). I like the idea of a trifle. 

You lose me at Cool-whip. The stuff kind of grosses me out. 

I answered other. I think the base idea of a trifle with layers of cake, custard, cream, and crushed butterfinger candy is delish. The actual recipe itself is lacking. 

I said delicious because a grocery store near me sells Butterfinger Fluff that is to die for.  Seriously, you wouldn't think it, but it's addictively good.  I could totally see making a trifle with it.

However, after I voted delicious, I realized the recipe was all fat-free, sugar-free stuff that I would never eat.  Made with real whipped cream and a box of regular pudding mix?  I'd be all over that.

Me too.

I answered other. I think the base idea of a trifle with layers of cake, custard, cream, and crushed butterfinger candy is delish. The actual recipe itself is lacking.

This is how I feel as well. But I would be under zero illusion that eating it would help me get skinny, LOL!

The concept is good if the ingredients were better. 

My idea of a better recipe would be:

Butterfinger Dessert

1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (larger size)

1 pint of heavy cream whipped and stabilized with gelatin (unflavored powdered or sheets)

1 1/2 cups whole milk

I was just going to post this same exact thing! I don't do anything low-fat or fat free.

Too much processed stuff. I'm kind of against anything that has "dessert" in its name rather than "cake", "torte", "pie", "babka" (that might sound odd but just made chocolate babka for the first time last night and it is heavenly!). I want a real confection, not an assemblage of "ingredients" like instant pudding, jello, pretzels, cool whip, etc. Real food, really homemade=Yum.

I'm curious to hear the Hive's response to this recipe that my MIL posted on her FB (under the hashtag #getskinnywithsnacks)

Butterfinger Dessert

1 (1 ounce) package fat-free sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (larger size)

2 (8 ounce) containers fat-free Cool Whip

1 1/2 cups skim milk

Directions: Spray a 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray. Tear angel food cake into bite size pieces. Prepare pudding with 1-1/2 cups of skim milk and mix with 2 containers of Cool Whip Free. Crush candy bars. Layer 1/2 cake, 1/2 of pudding mixture and 1/2 of crushed Butterfingers. Repeat layer.

OK, here's my question.

Why would anyone bother to use Cool Whip and fat-free, sugar-free pudding to a recipe that also includes full-fat, sugar-laden candy bars? Is she trying to delude herself into thinking it's a "diet" recipe? :confused:

My feeling about recipes like this is that you either go big or go home. All that fat-free, sugar-free garbage is going to ruin a perfectly good angel food cake and some Butterfinger bars.

OK, here's my question.

Why would anyone bother to use Cool Whip and fat-free, sugar-free pudding to a recipe that also includes full-fat, sugar-laden candy bars? Is she trying to delude herself into thinking it's a "diet" recipe? :confused:

My feeling about recipes like this is that you either go big or go home. All that fat-free, sugar-free garbage is going to ruin a perfectly good angel food cake and some Butterfinger bars.

Yes.

Years ago a coworker and I lunch together every day, typically:   burger, chips, cookie or piece of cheesecake, diet coke.

Because we were cutting calories somewhere!  The lack of cals in the beverage totally made up for that other stuff, right?  :001_rolleyes: :lol:

I have had this dessert.  It's a Weight Watchers recipe that was served at one of my monthly meetings.

I do not care for the articficial sweetener flavor.  If your goal is low cal and you don't mind the fake flavors, it's fine.  Otherwise go for the real products and it will taste much better.

The concept is good if the ingredients were better. 

My idea of a better recipe would be:

Butterfinger Dessert

1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (larger size)

1 pint of heavy cream whipped and stabilized with gelatin (unflavored powdered or sheets)

1 1/2 cups whole milk

This sounds much better than the original, but it would be better still with custard in place of the instant pudding. A little less sweet, and with a more rich flavor IMO. Two of each layer sounds about right.

I don't know what Butterfingers are, so I looked them up.  This is the Wikipedia description:

The bar consists of a flaky, crisp, orange-colored, peanut butter-flavored center that is coated in compound chocolate.

Honestly, as vile as the other ingredients sound, this bar is the vilest.  I just don't understand the whole American salt-sweet thing with peanut butter.  And I can't cope with the texture of it anyway.  So you don't want me eating that dessert.

L

Gee, Laura, now that you post the Wikipedia description, it makes me wonder why the thing is orange colored. I grew up with them and never even thought to question why it's orange. 

I think this dessert is the Wisconsin State Dessert.  Everyone makes it at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Luckily it's not the ONLY dessert they serve...so I haven't tried it yet. But it does appear to be a required component to a holiday dinner.  Not sure they use sugar free pudding and fat free Cool Whip though.