Menu

What are your post-homeschool plans (or preliminary thoughts)?

Aspasia

Do you ever think about what you're going to do with yourself when your homeschool days are over? It's so far away for me (barring unforeseen circumstances), but every now and then it comes up in conversation with people or dh, so I think about it.

Honestly, my interests change frequently enough that I would never pretend to know what I'm gonna want to do in 15+ years, but I do know that I don't want to go back to any kind of office environment or any other 9-5 job. I like my SAHM/homeschooling job because I'm in charge--I'm in charge of my schedule and I run things the way it works for me. I can't see myself wanting to go back to being on someone else's schedule. Uh uh. I can see myself starting my own business--I'm always having ideas for those. Or maybe indexing books (I'm a nerd like that). I've done some freelance writing and I liked that, so writing is something that's always on my radar (I mean, really, who among us doesn't aspire to write a book someday?) :)

I would also love a time in my life where I can spend time volunteering for something I believe in. I always come across things I would love to get involved with, but I feel really limited by my current circumstances (all these little kids and a husband who works long hours and travels a lot). I doubt we'll NEED a second income (again, barring the unexpected), so it's not absolutely necessary that my activities be super lucrative.

What are your plans/possibilities/aspirations?

We have only five more years here, so it is something I have thought about a bit. I work part-time now and I don't think DH will be ready to retire, so I will probably go back to full time hours. I have some volunteer work that I find important, so I am looking forward to having more free time to put into those areas.

Oh yeah - and spoil some grandchildren rotten - assuming my older kids have gotten around to providing some by then!

I am post-homeschooling.  But since youngest DS is in an early college high school and has a variable schedule depending on his college classes, and since he's only 15 and doesn't have his driver's license yet . . . for the time being my weekdays revolve around taking him to school and picking him up.  In about a year when he gets his license and I'm freed from his schedule . . . I don't know.  I might look for a part time job, but it would have to be something I'm very interested in, or at least something I find pleasant and enjoyable.  Otherwise I'm going to continue being the goddess of the home. ;)

I did not think about what would happen, just busy worrying if they would get into college.. They did. So did I!  I

decided that I was not qualified to do anything, I got a part time job, driving school bus, which pays really well and then signed up with an online university. WGU. So far loving both. having fun with dh and contemplating

when the "children" will actually leave home.  BS in Accounting that I hed started when I got preggo with twins.

Gosh, well I am working outside of the home. I actually love my job. I don't work a typical 9-5 since I have extremely flexible hours and get to do some pretty cool stuff at the day gig. As far as income, we'll need it since we have 4 kids to pay for college for and about 2 of them will possibly be able to get scholarships. Then there's the saving for retirement thing.

But when I'm finished homeschooling, I'll probably come home from work and take a nap, lol! Also, I will continue to write (I'm an author in my limited free time). I think I would like to teach part-time at the university again. I gave that up when I started writing and had the last 2 kids. Oh, and I'd like to do some European traveling with my dh. We already have a part-time business we do together that we hope to handover to one of the kids so we can have some fun.

Wow. Well, you are awesome. You're already doing all the things I'm hoping to do later.

We aren't planning on paying for our kids' college beyond the price of something like BYU or a reasonably priced state school. After that, they're on their own. And we are currently saving quite a bit for retirement, so it's not a huge issue. Anything I earn later will be a nice bonus, but just not totally necessary for retirement. :)

I am not sure.  I struggle with this as my husband will be retiring when our youngest one graduates so I can't go back to work. I guess my career was mom.  I guess I'll do mission work, volunteer places and travel with him. 

Why can't YOU go back to work if your husband retires???

Your youngest is quite young.  You do have a long time to go, if you do indeed end up homeschooling through high school.  Also, I agree that your interests will change a lot through the years.  AT one time I thought maybe I'd go be a nurse, then a midwife.  Both of those interests gone. 

I'm now post-homeschooling too.  I find that I am much busier than I thought I would be.  Also, one unexpected thing for me is that I'm helping with my new grandson 3x per week.  I love having him around and being a part of his life (I would not see him nearly as much otherwise), but it does eat up a large chunk of my time.  I hoped that I would be doing something like this, but not quite this soon (she still has 2.5-3yrs before finishing her PhD) or as often.  You really don't know what the future will hold.  

you'll figure it out and your interests will change and grow as you do.

Why can't YOU go back to work if your husband retires???

I know why I wouldn't--when dh retires, we're going to want to spend the rest of our time in this life together. We will have spent 45-50 years working around his crazy schedule, which started while he was in school and working full-time. The last thing I want to do when my husband retires is go and get a job.

As of right now, I'd really like to teach in a private, Christian school in 4th or 5th grade. I'm not certified, but I have a math degree and have taught high school math and science several times over the last 16 years. I always thought I would want to teach those, but after two years of leading the upper elementary/middle school book club and IEW writing class for the same range, I think I want to teach it all to those ages. I love planning the lessons and activities, and I love seeing the kids getting it and having fun. 

Going back to work and/or volunteer work.  I may not need the income but I need to be working on something to be happy. Hubby don't see himself stopping work until at least 65 years old (our dads work full time until 70 years old) so twiddling my thumbs at home for 15 years is going to drive me batty with boredom. 

i think i'll be done in a few years, but things can always change, so we'll see.  i think i will focus on sewing for money.  i dabble already with it for a little profit, but i think i could definitely make more than i do.  i also think i would really enjoy it. making things for people makes me happy & i can set my own schedule   :)  otherwise, i may just volunteer, join a book club, take up more hobbies.  i'm not sure. i wont return to work full-time though, assuming my husband is still employed - which i don't see changing.

Well by that time I imagine my dh will either be a partner at his current job or own his own martial arts school so if he owns his own I'll likely just take some role in that because I hate working for other people but love the business running aspect of things (no martial arts teaching for me ever!)  I have also thought that I'd love to own my own kennel someday or just expand my current pet sitting business.  Who knows.  We're not done having kids so I've got MANY MANY years before I'll be done home schooling.

I'll be in my 40s. My goal for 2014 is to get certified as a fitness instructor and personal trainer and work very part time at that and teaching skating. I think that would be compatible with my interests and homeschooling. Later on down the line I am considering grad school. CPA or MBA or MPA would be in line with my previous career trajectory and education. But frankly, I am thinking a total switch to physical therapy or speech language pathology, going to grad school myself when my younger is tween age, taking the post bac prereqs in a few years. I don't know, but I have options. And I can't see not doing something career wise. I want to open a foundation at some point but non-profit management is sorta done for me. I could but I don't know that I want to, kwim?

I've got quite a ways to go at this point, but I plan to focus a lot more time on my writing, maybe go back to school or get into real estate.  Because of my specific type of epilepsy I can't do 99% of the jobs out there, so my options are kind of limited.  I might just end up being a housewife, baking and volunteering and getting way too attached to my pets. :)

I'd like to maybe go into museum education.  There's opportunities for it here, but not totally sure how to break in - but it's just a notion as it's far off.  I know now that I don't want to go back into the classroom.  I think it would kill me, honestly, even if I managed to find another school as amazing as the last place I taught.

But part of me would like to do something that's not in education at all.  I sometimes wish I'd gone another direction in life.  But I have zero interest in a second master's degree, so I don't think any of my vague dreams will come to fruition.

I have about 1 1/2 years until I reach this point, maybe a little more. Here are some thoughts I've had: 

- travel with dh so I can hang out in cool places while he works

- go back to school to earn a Masters or PhD in something, just because I like to learn

- visit my parents more, they are quite elderly now

- volunteer or work planning ministry events

- volunteer at the hospital, I worked for a hospital system years ago & loved it

- lots of quilting

I've been going to school for years to have the degree I need to have a full on career when my kids graduate.  I've been volunteering and working (not for pay) my way into more advanced positions, gaining skills for my resume.  I started preparing when my youngest was born.  I hope to start working part time at my chosen career within the next 3 years so that I can network and build up to a great full time job when I'm finished homeschooling.

I am 1.5 years away from this just like tech wife.  My specific plans are on hold.  MY dh is retiring from the USAF after 27 years this June.  It really all depends on what kind of job he gets and where.  IF it goes like we would like, he will get a job here and my life next year will go on much like this, and my life after that will go the way I sort of planned- which is hopefully becoming a CAJA volunteer, which is called CASA everywhere else, and also finally taking the master gardener course and becoming one.  I would also do some more volunteering probably and do more reading, probably taking classes at one or both of the low cost or free programs here, and actually have time to tend to my health.  I would also like to spend more time cooking and baking too and if none of my kids are still at home, and I don't think they will be, I will finally be free of food restrictions.  I will also continue my small business of teaching a few classes or tutoring.

IF he doesn't get a job here, I will continue to live here with my youngest for her last year of high school and then I would be moving.  At that point, I don't know what I would be doing since I don't know where I would be. 

IF the worse case scenario happens, and I think it is rather unlikely, where he is having trouble finding a new job, I would probably try to find more work starting this summer and continuing until he found a good job,.

So. Far. Away. I can't really fathom life beyond homeschooling. I am a photographer now, but I'm not doing anything outside of weddings with dh. I think I might pursue newborn photography once my kids are middle/high school aged. I have a friend that specializes in it, and she has started a training program for other photographers. I have already been pursued to teach photography to homeschoolers, but I just don't have time right now. Photography would offer me flexibility to see my grandchildren (hopefully) often.

My daughter graduated in 2009. My son (2nd child) graduated in 2012.  My next set of kids started homeschooling in 2012 (prek, kindy, and 1st grade - all in public school the year before when they were foster children).  I assume there will be a 3rd set, possibly the ones in my signature, the youngest of whom is 5Ă‚Â½ months old (and we're praying for biomom's infertility).  I would guess I won't have "post-homeschooling" plans for many many moons :)

I'm sure my volunteer work will just increase.  I could see teaching in another capacity.  I could see possibly doing something with therapy/service dogs (hard to imagine it won't be with my beloved Heidi though).  

This is nine years away for me.  I will be 63 and will have been homeschooling for 31 years.  So, idk, maybe take a nap?  

Well, not really.  I am not a napping kind of person.  We just bought a farm and are renovating the century-old house.  I'm itching to renovate the barn and raise some animals, plus we have huge plans for organic farming.  We may do a pick-your-own type of enterprise there, or we may just enjoy experimenting.  I'd also love to do some  more volunteering, preferably involving teaching kids.  I hope that we will have some grandchildren near us by then and I'd like to be able to help with their education.  Or I'll help with kids from church.  I knew an older woman who would take all the homeschool kids from church one afternoon a week and do fine arts type activities with them -- Shakespeare, operas, classical music, art.  What a gift to a busy homeschooling mom!  

Technically I'm already finished with homeschooling, but we've 9 months left until youngest gets dropped off at college, so the time is coming up quickly.  Initially hubby and I thought we'd move on to full time travel or close to it (most of his job is portable).  Now we've decided we like our community too much to do that, AND we'll need full time income for a while due to paying for college - and probably med school for one of them.  So... our current plan is to stay here, but travel more (esp Jan + Feb to shorten winter).

I already work part time in our high school subbing for mostly math/science classes. I love it, so I suppose I'll continue until I don't like it anymore or I see something I think I'd like better.  I won't go full time as that would make it impossible to travel extensively in Jan + Feb.

In general though, we're keeping our options open, and after August, could jump at anything if we felt we wanted to.  It's a nice feeling.

I will spend time with my husband doing the things we enjoy like gardening and travel. I'll learn to do or put more time into some of the things I am interested in but don't have time to do right now like photography and knitting. I'll probably continue working at least part time like I do now until we are ready to retire. Will probably need to rebuild our retirement savings a bit after they all finish college. 

My dream would be to sell our house and RV full time for awhile especially if the kids end up all over the place. Don't know if that will become a reality or not.

Mine are in high school, so indeed the end is in sight.  I'm already working, so I'll keep on with that, perhaps more if I can.  We're concerned about college expenses, and DH is near retirement.

I'd also like to do some volunteer work at the local hospital.

I'm done, barring dd coming home for high school, which is highly unlikely.

I think I'd like to tutor or help a homeschooling mom or two, which I'm doing now (just started). I would also possibly like to be a speaker of some sort or a Christian teacher (like bible study leader but maybe broader). I'd prob get too nervous, tho!

After our summer in Israel, dh asked me if I could fathom living there one day. Surprisingly, I could totally see that. 

I will most likely go back to work to pay for the kids' college costs.  I guess we will see.  Dh wants to move to Florida at that point.  I really don't.  I like visiting Florida but have no desire to live there long term.  If I am going anywhere, it is back to California.  I need mountains and no bugs.

I will most likely go back to work to pay for the kids' college costs. I guess we will see. Dh wants to move to Florida at that point. I really don't. I like visiting Florida but have no desire to live there long term. If I am going anywhere, it is back to California. I need mountains and no bugs.

I need mountains and no bugs, too! We've been in Virginia for 4 years and I would love to just go back to Utah, but it's not in our near future. :(

I'll be finishing my bachelor's degree. Then perhaps grad school, writing, traveling, oh and a job to finance the traveling. I only have 2 1/2 years left of homeschooling.

I'm doing that (the school part) now, with the eye toward the days when they're more independent.

I think about this often, as I've only got 2.5 years to go. I know I want to do something outside my house. I have thought about teaching high school math, because I love math and older teens are my favorite age group. I would have to go back to school, but that's fine with me. I'm so used to doing things however I want, though, I wonder if the school system would just frustrate the heck out of me.

I've also thought of being a tutor so that I wouldn't have to work in the system.

A relative and I have talked about starting a business.

I have many, many hiking adventures I'd like to pursue.

I want to be able to visit my kids and grandkids often. (I have three kids, one dil, one grandbaby so far.)

My goal is to have some sort of meaningful and fulfilling employment or volunteer work until I'm no longer physically able to do it.

I think I would like teaching fitness classes to senior citizens.

I've also tried to talk my husband into moving to Maui for a couple years. If we both got jobs and rented a small apartment, we could do it. Yes, I know how expensive it is to live there. Yes, I know someone who has done it. I LOVE it there. Not a lot of hiking, though, but I think I could adjust. :)

I have no idea what it will be, but I feel like there are many possibilities. Although it has been very hard for me as my kiddos leave the nest, I am ready and looking forward to the next season.

I don't have any.  The future looks very nebulous and scary and may come sooner than I am ready for.  Ds17 will probably be going off to college next year and dd13 may go to high school next year (at least part-time.)  So, I am in a place where I am fearing loss, but I don't have something that I am looking forward to.  I don't have goals.  I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I can't imagine getting hired as a computer analyst (my old career) after a 17 year hiatus in that field when there are tons of out-of-work computer gurus.  Plus, I can't even see myself even being good at that job. 

I don't have any.  The future looks very nebulous and scary and may come sooner than I am ready for.  Ds17 will probably be going off to college next year and dd13 may go to high school next year (at least part-time.)  So, I am in a place where I am fearing loss, but I don't have something that I am looking forward to.  I don't have goals.  I have no idea what I want to do with the rest of my life.  I can't imagine getting hired as a computer analyst (my old career) after a 17 year hiatus in that field when there are tons of out-of-work computer gurus.  Plus, I can't even see myself even being good at that job. 

I see you as a doula.  Is that strange?  :)  (For some reason, I thought you already did some doula work...)

I see you as a doula.  Is that strange?  :)  (For some reason, I thought you already did some doula work...)

Not so strange ... I used to be a childbirth educator.  I would have loved to be a doula (which I do believe is one of the most rewarding jobs in the world,) but I think that ship has sailed.  When my children were younger, I couldn't do it for pay because I couldn't guarantee I would be able to be there.  For many years, I had a nursling at home that I couldn't leave overnight.  Later, the demands of homeschooling, plus my own health made it difficult to be available for long births.  I knew that the demands of being a doula (lack of sleep, emotional exhaustion) would negatively impact my health and family life.  There is only so much of me (mentally, emotionally, physically) to go around. 

I gave up my childbirth education business about 6 years ago.  The birth industry had changed and I began to feel that a low-intervention birth was becoming further and further out of reach for most pregnant women in my area.  Legal home birth options were eroding due to the lack of certification of CPMs as well as the malpractice crisis eliminating options for CNMs since their supervising docs could no longer provide back up for home birth.  Most of the lovely hospital-based CNMs that I used to recommend had become much quicker to recommend interventions - they had become med-wives.  Many conditions that used to be treated with watchful waiting were soon considered to be medical emergencies.  Induction rates skyrocketed.  C-sections skyrocketed.  I felt like a fraud, teaching about birthing options that were becoming increasingly unavailable.  I was simply burned-out. 

I have a book business (I am an Usborne consultant), but as an introvert, sales is not a natural fit for me.  I will continue with it.  I LOVE children's books, but I find the process of seeking new business (wearing the extrovert suit) exhausting. 

I do know that I need something that gets me out of the house every day, around people.  While I am an introvert, but I wither in isolation.  I just haven't found anything that arouses passions in me.  I am reluctant to go into debt to go back to school as I am trying to encourage my kids to get their educations with a minimal amount of debt.

Try to make friends again. Unfortunately dh and I are very different and don't enjoy the same things. I anticipate being very lonely if I don't have some friends. Right now I am so busy I can't really have friends. I take the kids to church alone, and it is really hard to see the couples happily there together. When the kids leave I better have things to do, or I will become a clingy, needy mom who won't let the kids get on with their adult lives.

Ideally, I would go back to school when my 2 youngest kids do (or if we continue hsing, when I start outsourcing more classes) and get my RN. When youngest graduates, my severely HC ds will be aging out of the classroom system, so I'm not sure exactly what his care will look like, but I would like to work as an RN somewhere in there. I'll be in my early 40s when dd graduates, so I think I could really enjoy a career in medicine at that time.

:grouphug: I could have written your post.  My 17yo graduated a few months ago, and I am still drifting, purpose-less, through my days.  I toyed with the idea of going back to work but I can't get my professional license back in this state.  Even if I could, I wondered, "Who would want me after 14 years?"  I feel old and stale.

:grouphug: I could have written your post.  My 17yo graduated a few months ago, and I am still drifting, purpose-less, through my days.  I toyed with the idea of going back to work but I can't get my professional license back in this state.  Even if I could, I wondered, "Who would want me after 14 years?"  I feel old and stale.

I hope for some kind of new career, but I am afraid - youngest is only 8 but I will be in my mid 50s by his 18th bday.  I have already been out of the workforce for over 10 years, so it will be 20 by then if I don't work somehow before then.  I don't know how someone in her mid 50s who hasn't been employed in 20 years starts a new career. 

I would love to be a math tutor.  I had some wonderful math tutors in high school and college who helped me realize I could do math, and as a result of becoming good at math, I changed my opinion of myself.  I would like to help others with this...so many people believe they are just not smart enough to be good at math - it's such a shame.   All of the tutoring centers around here require someone to have a certified teaching background in order to tutor through them.  I don't know if it's hard to become a private tutor without an official teaching background.    Tutoring could also be a very flexible job for me.