Menu

Can you split wood yourself? Ladies, that is!

Mandylubug

We were short of split wood pieces. I willingly cut our lawn during the summer but I draw the line at splitting would with a maul and wedge. I value my toes. I could probably figure it out.. but a girl has to draw the line somewhere, right? Yeah, this gal did and her DH is splitting wood at 12:18a.m.... and I don't feel that guilty about it :p

Yep I can and have chopped a lot of it. I also run chainsaw, build and mend fences, drive tractor, cut and bale hay, and lots of other stuff like that. My gender never got me out of any work unless I was truly not strong enough to do it. I rarely used a maul to chop wood though. I just used a splitting axe and learned to aim carefully. If you hit a large log just right and make a line all the way across the diameter with a few hits, than you can usually crack it open with one more big hit to the center of the line. Unless you are splitting oak. That stuff is tough.

Yes, and was doing so while in labor with my first baby. She was three days early and my husband and I decided to go out wood cutting. He saws and I split. Contractions started before we left but I thought they were Braxton Hicks. After a few hours they were about five mins apart but relatively painless. I'd just stop and lean on the axe during the contraction. When we got home I had a shower and went to my Dr who sent me straight to the hospital and baby was born 4hrs later!!

Nowadays I'm so shocked that I was even able for that kind of thing!

I come from a long line of strong, capable women, so I am positive I can split wood.  However, my mom once told me with a sly nod, "Just don't learn how to do TOO many things."   One of the things I "can't" do very well is make coffee, so my husband does that every morning that he's not out of town.  So, if you "can't" split wood, I won't blow your cover.  ;)

Yes I can split wood, though I don't use an axe. rather I use wedges and a sledgehammer. It works it is not fast but it works. I have only had to do it a few times and that was when DH was extremely sick and all teh kids were babies/toddlers. Fortunately I have mostly boys and they do the wood splitting for computer time.

Do I want to split wood? I have natural gas heat that is very efficient.

We have wood on our property which is essentially free (apart from the cost of the splitter and the petrol for the chain saw).  We keep the central heating at 13 degrees C and warm up the public areas of the house with the wood stove.  A tank of LPG to heat the house costs over £800.

L

We have wood on our property which is essentially free (apart from the cost of the splitter and the petrol for the chain saw). We keep the central heating at 13 degrees C and warm up the public areas of the house with the wood stove. A tank of LPG to heat the house costs over £800.

L

See I don't have a wooded area. It doesn't make sense for me to cultivate this skill. It makes sense for you. That's all.

No I am not even five feet tall I doubt I could swing an axe that well I would most likely split my leg or something !!!

I'm less than five feet tall, too.  Height (or lack thereof) isn't a problem.  Neither is weight, really.  As long as you've got the strength you can do it.

No.  I think I could figure it out during an emergency situation, i.e. freeze if we didn't have wood for warmth.  Other than that I will try to pull my girls-are-the-weaker-vessel-and-surely-can't-pick-up-that-heavy-ax card with a little could-the-big-strong-man-do-it-for-me thrown in.  Whether that makes you want to puke or not is irrelevant.  I won't have to split wood.  Just like I can't figure out how to run a lawnmower.  ;)

Yes, I can split wood with a mechanical splitter or with an axe. I can also use a chainsaw or hand saw to cut the wood. And drive a tractor or Kawasaki Mule to haul it in from the woods. I am a better stacker than my dh. And this fall I taught a bunch of 4-H kids how to start fires with flint and steel and bow drill methods (without matches).

We live in the northern Midwest and do not have a furnace. We heat exclusively with wood. We usually go through about 6 cords of wood each winter and we have to cut and split all of that ourselves.

Not everyone has the opportunity to learn or practice these skills, and that is fine with me. However, I do think that knowing how to start a fire and keep one going safely is a good survival skill to have.

I can, and I have (I do it with an axe).  But I prefer to let DH do it.   ;)   I've also been known to strategically maneuver unsplit logs into our woodburning stove.  It takes a bit longer to get them in, but I'd rather spend a few extra minutes wrangling with a log than splitting it.  :p

When we have our Potluck Covered Dish Wood-Spliting Funeral Supper, you can come! No electronics, though.

That sounds....fun.   :lol:  I'll bring the Mad Dog 20/20.  It just seems like a fitting beverage choice for this type of event. 

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I'll mark my calendar!

I can, and I have (I do it with an axe). But I prefer to let DH do it. ;) I've also been known to strategically maneuver unsplit logs into our woodburning stove. It takes a bit longer to get them in, but I'd rather spend a few extra minutes wrangling with a log than splitting it. :p

That sounds....fun. :lol: I'll bring the Mad Dog 20/20. It just seems like a fitting beverage choice for this type of event.

Sounds good!

I wouldn't ever buy property where I'd be required to use wood.  Not my thing....

We don't have to use wood.  Our house does have heating (and plumbing too!).   :tongue_smilie:  But there's just something very cozy about a real wood-burning fire on a cold winter day.  And since our winter lasts from November-April, we have a lot of cold winter days.   :)