Menu

Have your kids seen an eye doctor?

Have your kids seen an eye doctor? When for the first time?  

1. 1. Have your kids seen an eye doctor? When for the first time?

• No, I don't have kids.
    • No, I just have babies or they are too young.
    • No, I don't think they need it.
    • No for other reasons.
    • Yes, around kindergarten to first grade age or younger.
    • Yes, between first and third grade age.
    • Yes, when they were in fourth or fifth grade.
    • Yes, when they were sixth grade age or older.
    • Other.
    • The Stig.

No. We do vision screenings at the well child check-up. So far so good.

Well, ds #3 went to the eye doctor in 2nd grade because he was covering up one eye while he was reading. He had tracking and other issues (before VT) but 20/20 vision. Other than that, no one has done or said anything that would indicate they are having problems with their eyes. Vision screening at the dr. is fine for now.

We saw a paed opthamologistat the age of 2. I thought ds might be cross-eyed. As it turned out he wasn't but I was told he had 20/20 vision. However, young children (this according to teh paed) are supposed to be slighted longsighted and then it corrects itself. Ds having 20/20 at such a young age might indicate that he may be shortsighted later on in life.

I don't know if this is true but I'm keeping an eye (pardon the pun) on things.

Yes, ds 7 went to the eye doc a couple of months ago. His teacher at church had mentioned over the summer that he seemed to be having trouble seeing the board. He was having a lot of headaches and we noticed as well that he seemed to be having trouble seeing things far away. MIL is a nurse at our ped's office, so we stopped by the office one afternoon for a quick screening. It was abundantly clear that we needed to get him to the eye doctor--we actually went with a pediatric ophthalmologist since there was such a dramatic shift in just 2 years (he didn't have any problems with the screening at his 5 yo well child exam). Everything was fine--he just needs glasses. :001_smile:

We were taken by surprise because dh and I both wear glasses, but we both got them in 4th/5th grade. So we knew that both boys would probably eventually need them, but we figured we had a couple of years yet!

We discovered dd needed glasses when she was 5. She had an eye infection caused by a scratch and she couldn't read the eye chart at the emergency room. Up to that point we had no idea she couldn't see because she was able to see up close and read just fine. When we got the glasses she went around for days saying things like, "wow, now I can see pastor on stage at church...he's not a blur anymore". I guess we would have taken her for a regular eye exam at some point but we felt horrible that we didn't know she couldn't see. If/when we have another child they will get regular eye exams before K.

Dh had to get glasses when he was three and I when I was 7 so we started getting the kids tested in Pre-K. We have both kids checked at least once a year. Both were preemies & spent time under the bili lights so we are really thankful that their eyes appear to be undamaged by the experience. No glasses yet! :w00t:

I chose other because my girls saw a pediatric opthomologist as part of the testing following the diagnosis of their hearing loss. Since there are several syndromes that affect both hearing and vision, they wanted to rule those out and have a base line for any future changes in vision. The girls were about 10 months old and 4 years old at the time. I would not have taken them and relied on the screenings done at the pediatricians office for another couple of years at least.

Littlest developed a habit of turning her head to one side and/or closing one eye when she was looking at something at any distance so I took her back to the same office back in the spring. They said her vision was fine, just a quirky habit of hers and she doesn't seem to be doing it much any more.

We take them around first grade or so at a pediatrician's recommendation. I just didn't think of it at first with my oldest son, but I was glad we followed the advice we were given because it turned out he really needed glasses. I hadn't had any idea because he was reading fine and didn't complain about not being able to see things. turns out her wasn't complaining because he thought everything looked a little like a Monet!

Elaine

My oldest two (DD7.5 and DS6) are already in glasses, and I expect the younger two will need them sooner or later, due to strong histories of nearsightedness in both sides of the family. Our optometrist said we should bring DS3 in next year to be checked. We originally took DD in for a check when she mentioned headaches several times--turns out they're due to astigmatism.

We took the kids when they were 5 (DD) and 6 (DS). I don't remember why we did that, but we found out that DD needed glasses. She confessed to me awhile back (she's now 13), that she purposely failed the test because she wanted glasses. Sigh...

DS failed the school eye exam in 3rd grade (right before we started homeschooling). He got glasses then. DD has really needed them since early elementary.

I started wearing glasses in 3rd grade. DH in 5th.

My boys were three months premature and had retinopathy of prematurity. One of them has very bad eyesight as a result; in the other two it was mild and resolved. All three saw a pediatric ophthalmologist from birth to around age 12, and DS2 still does.

DD has 20/20 vision. She is the only person in the family who doesn't wear glasses. All of us have an eye exam every year.

I don't think I can vote cuz I'm weird :)

With my big kids, my answer would be 3rd-ish grade. I saw no indication they needed it so didn't take them prior. We didn't have insurance. Had we had insurance, I probably would have taken them sooner just because.....

With my littles...this is a weird story. When kids come into care, their foster parents have X amount of time to get them seen by X, Y, Z. Except that we were their second home this time....the paperwork I had said they didn't have to be seen until April 2012. So that was what I was going with. I also didn't *see* an issue. But something really struck me in August. I really wanted to get them in before school started. I don't even really know why. I know we mentioned something about ADHD-ish tendencies with the oldest. Anyway, the oldest's vision wasn't that bad. The middle one's was pretty bad and the youngest's was bad, just bad. They all got glasses to start school with and a follow up visit 3 months later to see if they needed a prescription change and/or patching and/or vision therapy.

Now? I would take a kid by 1st grade at latest. I simply did not see (hee hee) the problem to feel confident about me arm-chairing it ever again. I also will NEVER trust the paperwork I'm given on a child again. Just because people are SUPPOSED to do something and you have paperwork that says it was done, doesn't mean it was. If I don't have the documentation required after every visit to a doctor or at least the name of the doctor (so I can call and get the information myself), I will assume it wasn't done!

Anyway... Live and learn :)

Well-worded poll! I chose Other.

Dd saw one for the first time in kindergarten. I didn't think that counted in your poll because she was in public school at the time, and a room helper mom suggested it. Based on the other thread last night, I'm guessing that the answers of homeschoolers here are relevant . . .

Ds has never seen an eye doctor. The kid can see amazingly far, practically like Superman.

I voted other. Zee had a very thorough exam by a pediatric opthamologist earlier this year; we were trying to figure out why he gets migraines. That was the only time he has had an eye exam, except for the vision screening at his yearly well check at the pediatrician. (His eyes are perfectly fine, according to the ped. opth.). Moose has only had the vision screening at the pediatrician.

Maybe I don't think of taking them because neither dh or I wear glasses? It was discovered that I needed glasses at 15 when my ps highschool did vision screenings to take driver's ed. I no longer needed them when I was 21 or so (so about 13 years now), and I pass the vision screening at the DMV without them now. Dh has never needed them.

Neither of the boys has ever given me any indication that they have trouble seeing.

Dh and I both started wearing glasses at age 10. But we both had complained about vision problems to our parents. My kids can pass the basic screening at the peds office, and have not appeared to squint to see anything or acted in any way vision impaired, so I haven't taken them, yet. I plan to take them both at around age 10, just to get a real check.

Both DH and I wear glasses.

Youngest began complaining of having trouble seeing her handheld games and reading, she needed reading glasses at 11.

Oldest has perfect vision but because of one of the Lyme meds she is on, she has to go every 6 months because it can cause retina damage. Something we wouldn't have known if we didn't take her annually.

My dd saw an eye doctor for the first time about age 5. She had developed a very severe lazy eye. Thankfully it has improved tremendously. Ds was a baby at the time and when I asked it was suggested that he see an eye doctor also since there was a family history of lazy eyes (dh and bil both had them). Ds went for the first time at 10 months old and it was discovered that he is very far-sighted. More than is normal for a baby. He got his first pair of glasses right after his first birthday and will always need them.

Well, my kids just went to the eye doctor for the first time this year. They were 7, 11, and 13. I can't really answer the poll as they were all different ages.

All have 20/20 and no problems so it wasn't a big deal.

Here is the truth: When we lived in CA I worked and carried all the health benefits. We have vision on our plan at no cost to us. When we moved here, DH didn't get vision as we all of a sudden had to pay for health insurance.

Your know what? One eye exam was COVERED each year and we didn't even know it! :lol: So, we went for the first time since moving to NC! DUH!

Dawn

Their pediatrician's office has an optional hearing/vision screening, then they do a referral if anything seems amiss. We have them done every year. So far DS is still 20/20 and DD is 20/15, so we haven't gone to an eye doctor. But..... DD is approaching the age when both DH and I needed glasses, so we won't be surprised if something changes down the road.

Other.

DS was on a vent at birth and we were told to take him in for annual exams starting at one year of age. (Vents can affect a baby's vision.) We just took him to our family optometrist and he always passed his exams, as well as his vision checks at well-child visits.

When he was five, he started complaining of vision problems. Long story short - we ended up taking him to a pediatric ophthalmologist and found out he didn't need glasses. He needed surgery. :001_huh: He is ten now and had surgery four years ago. He will be need annual exams the rest of his life.

Eye exams are actually a "soap box" issue of mine.

My child passed every single eye exam at both the optometrist and pediatrician. I had no idea that optometrists do not even have the equipment to check for the major eye conditions that affect young children! (Cross eye, strabismus, etc.) I would never again rely on either one for eye exams. I personally think anyone that does is being foolish, but - again - just my soap box issue.

In my son's case, he had a very mild case of strabismus that was not noticeable "to the naked eye," so to say. Once he was properly tested, it was very obvious that his eyes were not working together.