Menu

if you had to relo, your top 3 picks (and why)?

It looks like we may be relocating for work again, and so this morning I am reflecting on where I would choose to go (if I could) and why I would pick there. Where would you pick, and why would you choose that place?

(And, conversely, if you want to warn me away from some place, please feel free!)

• Like 2

If I could choose anywhere in the world, then Tashkent, Istanbul, and Jerusalem are my top three cities.  If I had to limit my choices to the US, I might go with something near the coast in Maine or Oregon or Alaska. I'd live in lots of places for a year or two, like Asheville, NC, or Worcester, Massachusetts.

• Like 2

So many variables for my dh job my tops 3 would be Phoenix great opportunities concerns about water and weather. Quad cities Iowa maybe actually in illinois that one is great because of extended family, cost of living but some concerns since Middle child is trans. Minneapolis probably my favorite but least likely to have a job.   

• Like 2

I'd choose somewhere with moderate weather. Four seasons are fine, just not a super long/cold/snowy winter. 

Having a disabled child, we'd also need somewhere with adequate supports for him. There are very few states that have the same or greater level of support as our current location, so there are not a lot of options. Possibly Colorado. I do like Colorado Springs. 

I'd also love a place with lots of outdoor activities - hiking, running, etc. - but also within easy driving/flying distance to our current location because of aging parents/college kids. 

• Like 2

We play this game sometimes but it's always tough. I love love big puffy heart love where we live.

Outside the US: The Netherlands or Ireland

Within the US: This one's hard. We've lived lots of places I've loved, but idk if I'd want to go back.

Corvallis, Oregon maybe (but fires). Similar vibe to where we live now.

Western Massachusetts maybe, like Northampton. Not too different from where live now, but farther from the ocean.

Idk past that. Requirements are must be bright blue, and in a blue state and not be in the south (like south of Massachusetts). On or near an ocean, preferably a college town, and not much extreme weather. Snow is obviously fine, extreme heat is definitely out. Ideally connected by good public transport, but I'll reserve that for overseas options for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

Confining choices to the U.S. -- We'd pick a place that as much as possible aligns with our values, is less likely to be severely affected by climate change, and has access to good health care. Likely those criteria would mean somewhere in the northeast or possibly Minnesota.

• Like 5

I’d move somewhere warm.  Preferably on a beach.  The Caribbean would be amazing.  Second choice is FL.  My dream house is a cottage on the beach in a not too big town.  Unfortunately that will probably never be in my budget.

Within my budget, still FL.  I hate cold weather.

• Like 1

Florida.  My sister loves it; they moved away for three months and moved back quickly.  Other than that, my other siblings are in Tennessee, Idaho and Indiana; they all love where they live now much more than living in New York.

Mostly I’d like significantly lower taxes, sunshine and warmer weather.  But DH has lived in a total of three houses in his entire 40 years and has no desire to ever move again. 

• Like 1

If outside the country…honestly, kinda depends on who will take us and where our children land, but Canada, New Zealand, Scandinavia, and Iceland are all on the fantasy list, though each have their own issues. 

Inside the US, right now, I like where we live a lot, but it’s possible politics could change that. Minnesota and Maine are both on the list, because of the combination of political environment and durability for climate change.  Both have moderate cost of living, too.  We could never afford to move to the Pacific Northwest, for instance, but I also worry there about earthquakes (though honestly New Madrid is possibly a bigger concern than Cascadia), wildfires, and a couple other climate disasters.  Honestly, where I would like to live has never occurred to me outside of those issues.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Confining choices to the U.S. -- We'd pick a place that as much as possible aligns with our values, is less likely to be severely affected by climate change, and has access to good health care. Likely those criteria would mean somewhere in the northeast or possibly Minnesota.

For these reasons I’d choose Illinois or Minnesota BUT leave a line item in the budget for a month long rental in a warm place (ie snowbird it) because long winters are not good for me (SAD).

• Like 5

I love where I live now (Oregon), but if I had to relocate, I'd either move over the river to Washington (but still within the general Portland Metro area), or move back to New Mexico. Third choice would probably be Colorado, but I really appreciate the relative lack of snow in both the PNW and the desert SW. My favorite place I've ever lived was southwestern France, but neither of my kids would be willing to move there, and I wouldn't move back by myself. 

• Like 2

Well I don't really see us moving anywhere else because all of my children and grandchildren live here but my hubby and I always assumed we would retire to the gulf coast of FL. We also both love Mass. generally in the Boston area and finally if we were just dreaming and didn't need to worry about the cost maybe NYC.

• Like 1

We are going around and around about this. Our top choice is Minneapolis, but we have to be in a big city. I think some other places in Minnesota and Michigan would be nice. Sometimes I look at the map of the US and just feel overwhelmed because the places I would want to live aren’t affordable. I asked this question awhile ago and some people did warn me that Minneapolis maybe isn’t too welcoming to newcomers. 

ETA: outside the US maybe Austria? I’ve only visited but I have several friends who lived there and it seems lovely. Or Portugal sounds nice too.

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

We are going around and around about this. Our top choice is Minneapolis, but we have to be in a big city. I think some other places in Minnesota and Michigan would be nice. Sometimes I look at the map of the US and just feel overwhelmed because the places I would want to live aren’t affordable. I asked this question awhile ago and some people did warn me that Minneapolis maybe isn’t too welcoming to newcomers. 

ETA: outside the US maybe Austria? I’ve only visited but I have several friends who lived there and it seems lovely. Or Portugal sounds nice too.

~25 years ago DH and I lived in St Paul for a good number of years. We LOVED it, and it's one of those places I'd consider moving back to if we had to leave where we are. It's true *in some areas* people were somewhat suspicious of us as outsiders, but I'm sure that's completely changed since then. Also, the cities are quite different, St Paul being quieter and more neighbourhoody maybe, and Minneapolis offering more of an urban vibe (but still with awesome neighborhoods), or at least that's how it used to be.

The outdoors around the Twin Cities is so accessible, and throughout the state it's so diverse. Our favourite spots were up on the North Shore of Lake Superior, just amazing. I'd love to go back and see how Duluth has "grown up"; we spent a lot of time there. I'd personally put Minnesota high on my list to check out if you've not spent time there. Ugh, I miss it now! 

FWIW Austria is quite conservative and Portugal is very poor by US (and most European) standards. Lovely to visit, but that doesn't necessarily make for good living.

• Like 2

We don't know the states well enough to pick. It would have to be a metropolitan big city because we prefer densely populated areas and also near to great medical facilities. High perferences for places with high walkability and good public transport as my husband prefers having the option not to drive. Not high humidity as my husband hate being sweaty, not too cold because only my husband likes cold.

Outside of the states, I am tempted by Montreal, Canada because it is supposedly a walkable city. My cousin recently went to Vancouver's Chinatown and she felt it was worse than San Francisco downtown.

• Like 1

I love where I live and have zero interest in moving anywhere. 

East TN, western NC/Asheville, and possibly Huntsville, AL are places fairly similar to where I am now. 

Zero interest in being on either coast, or anywhere with real winter. I don’t mind the heat of summer and like 4 seasons. 

• Like 1

Realistically, I doubt we will ever be far from where we are now. We’re Bay people. The only other states I can really imagine living in border us. So Delaware, Virginia or Pennsylvania. 

But in the realm of nice places to live that we wouldn’t likely move to: Vermont, Maine, upstate NY, Colorado. And Keswick, England. Requirements: hiking, kayaking, beautiful scenery. I do love this about Colorado, but I like the lush greenery of the coast. Also must have world class medical care (because I’m spoiled on that), a good culture and the right political temperature. 

I hate hot weather and I don’t like flat terrain. So no way, never Florida. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grace Hopper said:

For these reasons I’d choose Illinois or Minnesota BUT leave a line item in the budget for a month long rental in a warm place (ie snowbird it) because long winters are not good for me (SAD).

Adding, for many years our intention was the coastal south, but climate change and socioeconomic factors have us rethinking. The cost of homeowner’s insurance is a big factor. 

• Like 2

I'd love love love to move back to Santa Barbara, but it's completely unaffordable, plus drought and wildfires make CA no longer attractive for us.

Would love to be back in Eugene, OR, but not during November -March with my SAD. 

Boulder, CO would be great.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, we feel the same.

Wait, what does this mean?

I spent every moment I could in SF when I was growing up and went to college there. At the time I thought *for sure* I'd live forever in the City. Of course, I moved far away and now I'm STUNNED by how much it's changed (for the worse, IMO, on so many levels) but I'm curious what this comment is referring to? 

We are getting closer to retirement age, so we are thinking where to retire. 
Qualifications for us:
1. Fairly temperate climate 
2. Tax friendly to retirees (which Florida tops this list, but big no to FL for a variety of reasons)
3. Fairly low cost of living
4. Close to major medical area - good hospitals/good doctors. We do not have any major medical issues, but who knows what tomorrow holds? 
5. Preferably close to airport
6. I'd like there to be some classes - pottery, stained glass, wood turning, etc - stuff like that so I can explore that. 
7. Good church options. 

Our two children will probably move around, and I don't know that they will be much help if we need it later in life.

So, right now our list includes Alabama (Huntsville - beautiful area, possibly Montgomery too) 
South Carolina (Charleston or Greenville)
Texas (where we are now, but different location - Houston, Dallas, Austin/Round Rock)
Maybe Tennessee (Knoxville or Chattanooga)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Wait, what does this mean?

I spent every moment I could in SF when I was growing up and went to college there. At the time I thought *for sure* I'd live forever in the City. Of course, I moved far away and now I'm STUNNED by how much it's changed (for the worse, IMO, on so many levels) but I'm curious what this comment is referring to? 

Vancouver ATM feels rougher than downtown SF and downtown Portland to me. Fentanyl zombies, homeless encampments, open defecation, etc. https://vancouversun.com/news/storefronts-impassable-due-to-garbage-human-waste-and-open-drug-use/wcm/fcd992a9-dcc1-45eb-abb5-664b387ca2f2/amp/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love where we live now (northwest GA), but an area we like when we are around it is Lexington, KY. We would like most of East TN, too.

Dh has no desire to go back north to southwestern OH where he grew up. The weather is a big reason he wants to stay farther south. Even Lexington might be a bit too cold and snowy for him. 

• Like 2

I really love our location. It would be hard to find another town with all the perks we’re used to. I could see relocating to be closer to dd and dgs in Alexandria. However, with them an hour away it’s close enough to see them often but not SO close we get every cold the baby gets. Right now they’re battling pinkeye sooooo . . . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Insertcreativenamehere said:

I'd choose somewhere with moderate weather. Four seasons are fine, just not a super long/cold/snowy winter. 

Having a disabled child, we'd also need somewhere with adequate supports for him. There are very few states that have the same or greater level of support as our current location, so there are not a lot of options. Possibly Colorado. I do like Colorado Springs. 

I'd also love a place with lots of outdoor activities - hiking, running, etc. - but also within easy driving/flying distance to our current location because of aging parents/college kids. 

I’m curious what state you are in. I’m in California and it feels unbeatable for its disability support. 

7 hours ago, lovinmyboys said:

Don't rule out St. Paul though.  It's just across the river from Minneapolis and is generally more affordable and neighborhoody.  At least I think so.  🙂 

• Like 3

I would go right back to the West Coast.   I have only lived in Seattle and the LA area on the West Coast but I loved both places.  I am definitely a West Coast girl stuck on the East Coast.   

But NC isn't bad and I have made a life here.  I wouldn't go further South due to humidity and heat.   I wouldn't want to go too far North due to cold.   NC is called the "half back state" because people move from the NE to FL and then realize it is too hot and move half way back up and settle in NC!

I think I like hills, mountains, and water.   I don't enjoy flat lands that aren't near water, so the mid-west is not my preference.   

• Like 2

None of these are a bit realistic for us but eastern England (not quite sure where) tops the list. Other contenders are Germany or Spain (no pinpointed cities). Closer to home, somewhere in Ontario as SO has Canadian ties. 

In the US, southern Colorado or northern New Mexico are contenders. 

We like cities with less than 100k, no super weather extremes would be nice. I'd like a place that has well-developed parks and nature trails and values historical preservation. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Vancouver ATM feels rougher than downtown SF and downtown Portland to me. Fentanyl zombies, homeless encampments, open defecation, etc. https://vancouversun.com/news/storefronts-impassable-due-to-garbage-human-waste-and-open-drug-use/wcm/fcd992a9-dcc1-45eb-abb5-664b387ca2f2/amp/

Clarifying you are talking about Vancouver BC

…not Vancouver WA which is the city that borders Portland OR. 

15 hours ago, J-rap said:

Don't rule out St. Paul though.  It's just across the river from Minneapolis and is generally more affordable and neighborhoody.  At least I think so.  🙂 

As someone who lives in one of these cities on the border, it is almost like one giant city with 2 downdowns.    Nice neighborhoods and amenities on both sides of the river!  And very accessible to the other side.  WE LOVE IT.  ❤️  

If we had to relocate in the midwest, I really like Madison WI and Chicago.  Maybe Milwaukee.  If I came into money, I would consider Boston or San Francisco.  It's hard picking!  I could happily try lots of places.  

17 hours ago, J-rap said:

Or the suburbs. There are some great areas. I grew up in Minneapolis and now live in the suburbs. I miss parts of city life, but like the space I have. The further out you go, the less diverse IMO.

• Like 1

If I had my druthers, I'd be writing and working from home from a nice apartment in Montréal. Lyra would be imbibing French and English with her every breath.

If my wife had her druthers, we'd be in a nice Japanese village somewhere near Kyoto. She absolutely adores Japan and has been planning the move since before I married her.

We can agree on the Bay Area (San Francisco/San Jose/East Bay), both because it's "the City" to us growing up, and because of our religious/family/cultural ties to the area, and because the job I lost was in tech - tech people just kind of gravitate there.

• Like 2

Michigan really is gorgeous. And yes, for now, one contends with winter, but with climate change the winters are becoming milder. It is a state that will weather climate change much much better than anywhere further south in the US.

Minnesota and Maine would be my other choices, even northern Wisconsin. Maine has always had a hold on me.

Outside the US, French Riviera (my sister lives there), Denmark (my husband's heritage is Danish, very Danish) and Scotland would be my choices.

• Like 3

We live in Northern Virginia, outside DC. The area as a whole gets dumped on a lot by people elsewhere and even by locals. There are a lot of things not to like (traffic, cost of living) but a lot of things to really like. As we have started to talk about where we might one day want to retire, we keep coming back to we like it here. 

-Four seasons
-Lots of opportunities for culture (free museums, theater, any kind of performance of anything)
-Ethnic food (one of our nieces lives in Wisconsin in a gorgeous resort kind of town and she really really misses the food here). This would be the hardest for dh to move away from. He would really miss not having an Asian grocery store to go to regularly. 
-Close enough to lots of other places...beach and mountains are two hours away, NYC is close. 
-Great community supports (libraries, community college system, parks/rec centers, trails) 

• Like 3

Same. I will have to relo, it’s part of DHs job, just hoping to hold on until DS graduates in 2026. Not expecting good things.

I would be ok with Virginia, Maine, or Washington, maybe Wisconsin/Michigan/Missouri (it depends on the zeitgeist/political trends). We need to stay on the coasts for DH. We know lots of folks with homes in FL and AL who have regrets. We want to find a place that all our children and potential grands feel comfy visiting. Weather is important but secondary.

I’m visiting Minneapolis with DS this summer and may consider that. DH recently expressed no desire for any return to AR (long my position) but that was new for him. We’ve just outgrown it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2