Menu

Do you ever think it is weird that people wear makeup?

Tap

I generally wear makeup, but not as much as I did when I was younger.  I have a scar across one cheek, remnants of plastic surgery following a burn as a small child; the scar becomes redder and more pronounced whenever I have been in the sun.   I also have a tendency to have dark circles under my eyes when my allergies are acting up.  This combination can lead to all kinds of questions when I don't wear makeup--I have even had people who have known me for years start questioning me about whether I have been socked in the eye.  

DD is in her mid 20's and doesn't wear makeup.  In fact, when asked if she would be in a friend's wedding, she said she would so long as she did not have to wear makeup. 

My mom, on the other hand, is in her early 80s and has commented how nice it was to wear a mask during COVID because she could go to the mailbox without having to put on makeup--I have tried to explain to her that she doesn't have to wear makeup to go out to the mailbox, but she simply refuses. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As a professional musician, I get stuck wearing it some what regularly if I am performing. There is a cultural expectation as well as lighting that makes you look like Casper the ghost. But, for everyday, I prefer not. I tend not to notice what others are doing these days. I wouldn't be able to name a make up trend if my life depended on it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KeriJ said:

I have always worn it. Not a ton, but I rarely go in public without.🤷‍♀️  For the reasons @Quill mentioned.

Same here….I don’t wear a lot and stick to pretty neutral colors, but really only don’t wear makeup if I’m sick. I don’t spend more than 5-10 minutes per day on my makeup and don’t really pay attention to other people wearing it or not. 

• Like 1

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't wear makeup, whether it's just a little here and there, or whether it's a full face of makeup. That's what's normal for me. But, that said, I don't think it's weird if someone decides not to wear any makeup. Their face, their choice, and it makes no difference to me either way. 

What I find odd is how so many people who don't wear makeup, tend to make harsh judgments about people who do choose to wear makeup. Even on this forum, I have seen many threads over the years where people have made some pretty snotty comments about the morality and character of those who wear makeup. That's what I consider to be weird.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, sort of, I have to use a mineral sunscreen and it's easier to just wear the kind with foundation, because otherwise it's shiny/white and I've had several plain ones switch to include chemical sunscreen because the white cast is not popular.  I do love makeup though. I think it's fun to put it on and put on all the different colors and see the result. Just like I like to dress up and try on clothes. 

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

What I find odd is how so many people who don't wear makeup, tend to make harsh judgments about people who do choose to wear makeup. Even on this forum, I have seen many threads over the years where people have made some pretty snotty comments about the morality and character of those who wear makeup. That's what I consider to be weird.

This I do find odd. 

I mean some people like camping and it's not my cup of tea, but I don't think they are weird for enjoying an activity I don't enjoy. Some people wear sweats outside, I like a good pair of jeans (harder to rip and I like the snugness/coziness), but I don't think they are weird I just think we have different preferences when it comes to clothing and comfort. 

• Like 3

I don’t wear it often anymore but I have a facial scar I prefer to cover and being fair, my eyebrows and lashes are hard to see without some cosmetics. So I’ll put some on if I am going someplace where I need to feel more confident. 

I have to admit that as I’ve gotten older, and probably more since the pandemic, two things are true. One, I don’t care as much what people think about bare-faced me. Two, I have grown more likely to skip events based on how much dressing up/make up I feel is called for. 

• Like 2

I don't wear much make-up either, it is such a bother.  Too bad this was started so long ago. What I do think is weird now is that some men are actually CHOOSING to wear it. I mean, because some day they may finally 'get it' and wonder like we are right now.  Like: Oh, this is so much work, or I don't think I look nice if I don't have make-up on, why did I ever begin this tortuous daily process?! (tongue in cheek here people, I don't mean anything more than this).   Men look fine without it, I wish women were more accepted in that way as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't wear makeup, whether it's just a little here and there, or whether it's a full face of makeup. That's what's normal for me. But, that said, I don't think it's weird if someone decides not to wear any makeup. Their face, their choice, and it makes no difference to me either way. 

I won’t judge you…but only if you stop saying the phrase “full face” for the rest of your life.

🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

It makes me think of bras. A large portion of the population of the US (and many other nations) wear bras most of the time and/or in most instances, for much of their lives, many for reasons of appearance (among others). Despite the cost and the annoyance and other options and "free the nipple" campaigns and body positivity, bra use persists. We don't make comments on that, though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Despite the cost and the annoyance and other options and "free the nipple" campaigns and body positivity, bra use persists. We don't make comments on that, though. 

Some people do make comments on that and I also find that odd. 

• Like 1

I wear a bit - sunscreen always. Often tinted sunscreen or a tinted moisturizer w/ SPF. Mascara and chapstick are all I add most days. Occasionally I'll use bronzer or eye shadow pencil. I struggle with lipstick - I always feel like a little kid playing dress up when I wear it!

• Like 1

I don't wear makeup and I've always been the odd one in my age group of 35-40. Being short AND not wearing makeup makes people think I'm usually 10 years younger than I am. I also don't wear a bra unless I'm breastfeeding when I'm obviously leaking but my breasts are also huge or I'm going to a party or event. When I'm done breastfeeding they are non-existent. My friends all wear makeup AND bras.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alysee said:

I don't wear makeup and I've always been the odd one in my age group of 35-40. Being short AND not wearing makeup makes people think I'm usually 10 years younger than I am. I also don't wear a bra unless I'm breastfeeding when I'm obviously leaking but my breasts are also huge or I'm going to a party or event. When I'm done breastfeeding they are non-existent. My friends all wear makeup AND bras.

We are twins. No bras or makeup here and I don't know any other late 30's that don't wear makeup.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

It makes me think of bras. A large portion of the population of the US (and many other nations) wear bras most of the time and/or in most instances, for much of their lives, many for reasons of appearance (among others). Despite the cost and the annoyance and other options and "free the nipple" campaigns and body positivity, bra use persists. We don't make comments on that, though. 

Eh.  I didn’t wear a bra during high school to smash the patriarchy and all that, but now I wear them all the time because the new all-elastic ones are super comfy, way more comfortable for me than going without.  Bras aren’t just for appearances.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My make up, when I do put it on, takes approx 4-5 minutes. And I look infinitely  better and therefore feel better. I’m old school, I also wear high heels though I’m thrilled this is something that’s going away. 
i do think it’s weird people wear jeans though. Why do they do that? 😉 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I am the big weirdo stay at home mom wearing jeans. I feel like they are sturdier like I can kneel down on the pavement and sandbox it's not going to rip. I'm not going to do yoga in them because they aren't stretchy enough but I find them quite comfortable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

They are cotton, sturdy, do not wrinkle, do not need to be ironed, go with everything, have pockets (and are the only non-hiking pants I can wear with hiking boots which are the only shoes I can tolerate without pain because of my Hallux limitus).
I like dresses in the summer when I can wear open sandals. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

Well, I wear light eye makeup regularly, the whole face make-up once in awhile, a bra whenever I leave the house, and--wait for it--PANTY HOSE and  FULL SLIP with a dress.

But I think women feeling that they have to color their hair is worse than women feeling they have to wear make-up, so there you go.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Well, I wear light eye makeup regularly, the whole face make-up once in awhile, a bra whenever I leave the house, and--wait for it--PANTY HOSE and  FULL SLIP with a dress.

But I think women feeling that they have to color their hair is worse than women feeling they have to wear make-up, so there you go.

I don't own panty hose or a slip, but I do color my hair, lol 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yeah me too. I’m pale pale pale so makeup just makes me look like I have a face and I’m not just a thumb sticking out of my collar. 

I snort laughed. Yes. This, pretty much. I look like a head of long, red hair with no face. In pictures, my hair reflects red to the camera and my face practically blinds you and my paleness erases my features entirely. It's startling. 😅

Add a little eyeliner, mascara, some blush on the ol' cheeks, and some lip gloss and I no longer look reflective and I have an identifiable face. It's nice. 🙂

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 5

I don’t think it’s weird at all — if people wear make up or don’t. People have been altering their appearance almost since we’ve been people. 

Some people are amazing makeup artists, too, it’s fun to admire their work. 

Personally, I wear minimal makeup — a light CC with sunscreen, mascara because I have no lashes otherwise, maybe some light blush. Most people think I don’t wear any, but if they see me without they think I’m sick. If DH and I have a date, maybe some eyeshadow, because it’s fun. But I really don’t care what other people do/don’t do.

• Like 2

Not weird but I wish people didn't feel they had to go to such extreme lengths to feel better about themselves. I have seen a few videos on FB, TikTok, and youtube where women use hair extensions, lash extensions, colored contacts, foundations, contour, color, artificial nails to change their looks. You can't recognize them from the first 30 seconds of the vid to the final 30. It is extreme and I can't imagine wanting to do that on a daily basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a saying in this house that if I have on make up it is war paint and to be prepared.   Otherwise, I don’t wear it and really can’t stand it.  My mother always has on make up and it has bothered my mother and grandmother that I don’t wear it. I do put on face moisturizer, lip moisturizer that is a sunscreen and face sunscreen daily but I don’t consider them make up just protecting my skin.  When I do have to wear something it is an all natural based lip tint and allergy friendly stuff ( concealer). 

• Like 2

I wore makeup as a teen.   Then my first job out of college was in a clean-room and makeup was verboten.  It takes all woman about a week to get used to be without.  Then after that anytime I wore foundation, my face become hot.  Not chemical burning hot, but wearing a blanket my skin can't breath hot.  I have rosacea so if I wear anything it is foundation.   My husband is just as happy for me to not wore makeup.    

I tried fake lashes a couple of times and liked them but DH said he actively disliked them.   I suspect it was just the expense.   

Someone mentioned the giraffe woman as an example of weird beauty trends.   That was originally an uglifying thing.  The women were naturally extremely attractive and they were often getting snatched and forced to wed someone from another group.   So, the idea was that if they were ugly they could marry the boy next door.  

• Like 1

As others have said I don't think it is weird in the sense it has been done forever. We just have more sophisticated tools to use. I do find it -- unsettling perhaps the lengths people go through to so totally change their appearance to where they are no longer recognizable. As someone looking for a partner I'd feel like I couldn't trust someone who so changed their appearance.

I do find it a bit odd that these discussions have been coming up here so frequently. I wonder is it an age thing as we get older beauty is fleeting and it is on our minds? 

I'm in the camp of minimal makeup as I don't like the way most of it feels. I like concealer for darkness under my eyes, light blush, mascara and chap stick. If I'm being fancy it would also be tinted sunscreen and tinted lip gloss. 

I'm torn between the ideas of live and let live and the upholding of unrealistic beauty standards when it comes to make-up and the more drastic body modifications.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Most people I know wear makeup as well. About the only time I leave the house without some type of makeup is if I'm going bicycling or for a hike/walk. And then I have on sunscreen. 

The judgments and comments about people being "fake" when wearing makeup really peeves me. I'm not fake because I wear makeup. Not wearing makeup doesn't mean you never act fake, either. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes in discussion of makeup people say things like “who are you trying to impress?” or “I don’t care enough what anyone thinks of me to wear makeup.” 

Wearing makeup to me has nothing to do with impressing anyone. It is what makes me feel comfortable. I wear makeup for the same reason I wear the rest of my “uniform”. Right now that’s a comfy sweater, jeans, Dansko clogs, a good bra, cheap undies, and my hair put up wet in a messy bun. It’s what I am comfortable in and makes sense for me to go about my day feeling like myself. I don’t expect it to impress anyone at all. Not even a little. I am quite sure not a single person today will be impressed by my appearance. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's weird in the grand scope of things humans have been doing forever, but I do think it's weird that more people don't find it physically uncomfortable in some ways. For context, even sunscreen makes me feel grungy, sticky, and yucky. Some kinds of lotion make me feel like I am wrapped in plastic.

• Like 3

I think makeup is fun. I especially like eye makeup because you can do so many different things with colors and blending. If I was told I *had* to wear makeup for whatever reason, though, I'm sure I'd rebel against it and hate it. Since it's entirely my choice, I wear it when I want to, and have a good time with it.

• Like 4

I wear full glam when working (4 days a week) and some kind of soft glam if I leave the house. I have a virtual private practice and sit under studio lighting and VERY close to HD cameras. At 50+ years old . . . HD is not kind. Plus I really like makeup. It’s part of my identity and personal “brand.” I find these conversations weird, but, here we all are anyway. 🙂 

Edited by Big Buckin' Longhorn
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Big Buckin' Longhorn said:

I wear full glam when working (4 days a week) and some kind of soft glam if I leave the house. I have a virtual private practice and sit under studio lighting and VERY close to HD cameras. At 50+ years old . . . HD is not kind. Plus I really like makeup. It’s part of my identity and personal “brand.” I find these conversations weird, but, here we all are anyway. 🙂 

Yes, I taught online for a few years it's 'something'. I loved when they installed some lite filters so I could skip it all. 

• Like 2

I know some people who are philosophically opposed to makeup--not just that they choose not to wear makeup, but they make comments about how makeup should NOT be worn.  I find it ironic that they have painted fingernails (maybe toenails), dyed hair, body piercings, and tattoos.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I know some people who are philosophically opposed to makeup--not just that they choose not to wear makeup, but they make comments about how makeup should NOT be worn.  I find it ironic that they have painted fingernails (maybe toenails), dyed hair, body piercings, and tattoos.  

Bingo!

Also, some have mentioned that they wear moisturizer. That isn't the same as wearing "make-up," unless it's tinted, and then I guess it sort of is, but wouldn't they use moisturizer, anyway, because dry skin?

• Like 1

My MIL loves to put on makeup. She is in her late 70s, is OCD about kitchen cleanliness, and has nothing to do besides cooking and light housework. So better for her to spend time on makeup than gossiping about people.

BIL’s wife has been wearing makeup daily for decades that her face looks washed out without makeup. She is into MLM so she wants to look good. That’s her prerogative and majority of ladles in sales I met wear makeup anyway.

David Beckham wears makeup for guys. I am sure many male fashion models do. I have seen guys wearing makeup anyway while out shopping.  

I feel like makeup is just part of fashion. I am picky about my handbags, my boots, my outerwear. Others like to have makeup on. Of course making makeup part of the employment dress code is sexist. However someone wanting to put on makeup is really a personal choice. 

• Like 1

Well I do thinks it's weird that I dye my hair funny colors and cover myself in tattoos. When people ask why I do it I say because it's fun.  But why is it fun?  Idk humans are just weird in general.

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Bingo!

Also, some have mentioned that they wear moisturizer. That isn't the same as wearing "make-up," unless it's tinted, and then I guess it sort of is, but wouldn't they use moisturizer, anyway, because dry skin?

• Like 1

I don't think makeup is weird and I think it can look quite nice.  That said, I am a tomboy who never learned the first thing about makeup and I don't wear it.  The most makeup I have ever worn to an event or learned to apply is a very subtle lipstick and mascara and that is MAYBE 2X a year.  That includes events like my wedding.  I have thought about trying and at times made some halfhearted attempts but it's just not my thing.  That said, I don't think it's weird that other people wear it or like it.  I think it's just a "different people are different" thing.  

I do wish that we'd stop associating it with value though.  Women who don't wear makeup get lower impression scores in a range of settings and also women who wear a lot of makeup also get lower impression scores.  As with so many things women are supposed to strike some unspoken and often shifting definition of "right",  Not wearing it is sometimes perceived as poor grooming or hygiene or even a red flag for mental health disorders.  THAT makeup for women is so important and so judged in our culture is what's weird!  

• Like 5

I lived in a large suburban area where everyone not only wears makeup daily, but also have fake eyelashes and fake nails. Even very young teenage years, that is the norm. I always feel out of place because I am a gardener so my nails look awful. I do love having my eyebrows professionally waxed and tinted because my hair, especially my eyelashes and eyebrows, bleach out in any bit of sun. I have tried to have my eyelashes tinted and love the look, but I can’t stand having it done! And I detest fake eyelashes. There is a lady at the gym, probably my age so mid-50s, that looks like she has two tarantulas on her eyes because her fake lashes are so huge and dark. It is very disturbing. I went a number of years where I didn’t wear any makeup, but recently bought new makeup and I love it. I have chronic health issues and am post-menopausal and am trying to… reclaim my feminine side? I am not really quite sure the best way to describe what I am feeling. My health issues have taken so much away from me. I am not able to drive much anymore and I feel like so much is slipping away from me. Wearing makeup - and jewelry - again feels like I am reclaiming an inner feminine self. Hm. Mostly I think I am trying to figure out who I am in the second half of my life? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I snort laughed. Yes. This, pretty much. I look like a head of long, red hair with no face. In pictures, my hair reflects red to the camera and my face practically blinds you and my paleness erases my features entirely. It's startling. 😅

Add a little eyeliner, mascara, some blush on the ol' cheeks, and some lip gloss and I no longer look reflective and I have an identifiable face. It's nice. 🙂

I’m also a pasty redhead. I have no eyebrows or eyelashes without makeup. I still don’t bother to wear it most days, but I will confess that I think I look better with features than without. I do go out of my way to find brown mascara (not black-brown) because it looks natural with my skin tone. I also do a blonde brow pencil because an auburn one looks fake and crazy on me. People who don’t know me probably think I’m not wearing make-up because everything is so light, but it makes a difference. 

I once did a photo shoot in my bellydance costume. The first few pictures were in costumes that covered my midriff. When I changed into a costume that showed my stomach they had to redo all of the reflective umbrella thingies because my body was bouncing too much light. 🤣Make-up for that get-up is what I call full drag because my face is no match for stage lights. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, Lawyer&Mom said:

Come to the PNW.  No one cares if you wear makeup or not.  Some people do, but there are zero expectations.  (I also wear jeans and sneakers to work, we are very casual around here!)

I would say that people care less here but in some situations here, not wearing makeup has been a strike against me (and I’ve also seen wearing a lot of it be a strike against other women here).  I def. agree that dress is very casual here though in most jobs. It’s also probably mattered less here than it does in some other places.  

• Like 2

I only wear make up for special occasions now.  I don't care if people wear it; I just can't be arsed to go to the trouble. 

I'd love to have someone teach me how to apply it now that I have "mature" skin, however. I know I could watch youtube videos, but I think I'd learn better from a real, live person. 

Is make up weird? Kind of? But people from all different cultures have been decorating themselves for thousands of years, so 🤷‍♀️