Menu

What kind of socks do you wear in the winter/fall?

Teaching3bears

Well, TX has degrees of cold and winter.

Fall is basically a pleasant summer. But since I love being warm and we have tile and wood floors, my sock of choice in fall is crazy patterned ankle socks. 

Winter, when it is really cold like the world defines and not TX cold, wool socks. The thicker the better.

When it is TX cold but winter, the crazy pattern socks are more than adequate though they are paired with house slippers. The warmest kind.

• Like 1

Whatever ones are clean. LOL I actually don't own a lot of socks. I prefer to go without and living in Florida allows me to go without most of the year. So if I am wearing socks, I'm most likely wearing boots so I want something calf length. Doesn't matter what they look like since the likelihood of someone seeing them is nil. If it's actually cold enough where I want to wear socks regardless of footwear, I do try to wear something that compliments my outfit and is calf length so my ankles won't get cold. But which socks that might be is determined by cleanliness. My father gave me "the regular old man calf length white athletic" socks that were too tight for him and I wear those around the house on chilly days. So all this to day, I have no advice. It all comes down to weather and the last time I did laundry.

The idea of wearing black, crew socks is giving me a visceral reaction. Black socks are acceptable for dressing up only. Everyday socks must be white. And ankle socks only. No shows are acceptable.

However, I do have some wool crew socks for super cold days. But sensory-wise they are an abomination. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, MEmama said:

Smart Wool or Darn Tough hiking weight all year except height of summer.

Same here. In the summer, I have some light weight low rise/slightly taller than no-show socks wool socks from these two companies that I wear with my tennis shoes in the summer. 

I wear cotton quarter high socks to bed year round. My feet get cold otherwise. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, barnwife said:

The idea of wearing black, crew socks is giving me a visceral reaction. Black socks are acceptable for dressing up only. Everyday socks must be white. And ankle socks only. No shows are acceptable.

I have black ones because sometimes they go with certain scrubs I have better than others

1 minute ago, Amethyst said:

I have black ones because sometimes they go with certain scrubs I have better than others

Oh, I know I am weird about socks. Black, mutlticolored, mismatching...other people can do what they want. And yes, sometimes I shudder as I put on non-white socks because the outfit demands it. But I don't have the time/energy to worry about other people's feet.

5 hours ago, barnwife said:

However, I do have some wool crew socks for super cold days. But sensory-wise they are an abomination. 

I only wear white socks if I'm wearing white shoes, specifically tennies. I suppose if I wore boots white would be ok, but if people are going to see them, then definitely not white.

I’ve been wearing the wool-blend Kirkland trail socks from Costco for years and loved them . . . until this year. They’ve gone cheap and the ones they put out this season are not nearly as soft as they used to be. I was so disappointed. I sent Costco an email but never heard back. If they’re like that next year, I’ll look elsewhere to replace my current supply as it wears out. 

I have wool socks to wear with my boots when it is super cold out. Otherwise I just like those soft, squishy fuzzy ones. I don't spend a lot on my socks except for those few pairs of cashmere wool ones I have on hand. I tend not to wear socks on the house because I have some nice slippers that are very comfy. I wear ankle.boots in the fall so short socks do not show, and nothing shows with my snow boots in the winter.

I love the Costco wool dress socks (maybe they were for men?) for winter. I NEED to be warm.

When I can wear my Five Finger Vibrams (April-October) I tend to wear cotton rich, slightly compessive knee high toe socks from Japan.  Black or grey is all I can find but I would love fun colors but then I can't get cotton. I even have toe stocking knee highs from Japan!

Double layer socks from Wrightsocks because my feet sweat even when it is cold, and a wicking layer is what keeps them warm rather than clammy.  My go tos are their Coolmesh II Quarter Socks, which are great trouser socks and nice with jeans and slip well into furry boots.  But I also have some heavier ones, their Light Hiking ones, for when it’s colder.

When it’s hot in the summer I sometimes wear white cotton socks for the opposite reason—so that they get clammy and cool me off.

• Like 1