Menu

So I finally made it to Trader Joes

lynn

Now its not in a convenient location but Dh and I decided that since we were out running errands and would pass by it anyways we'd stop by.   I'm not sure when it actually opened but we got there about 5 min before opening and there was a line around the building and cars were streaming in.  I don't wait in lines but once they opened the line moved fast and we went in.  I wasn't expecting to shop there so I had to make a quick mental recall of what to try.  They cashier said that morning was slow and theyve been so busy they actually ran out of bags and were giving away their plastic reusable bags.  We do plan to go back when in the area.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, kbutton said:

There seem to be only six in my entire state. One of the neighboring states has a whopping total of four. It's not ubiquitous. 

There is only one in my state and it is still fairly new.... and 3.5 hours away from me. The next closest one is in the next state and 5 hours away. Needless to say, I've never been to Trader Joe's.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I can’t imagine just getting into a TJ in 2021. I think the first time I went to one was in 1998. 

It is not in every state yet

https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/new-trader-joes-locations

”Trader Joe's isn't in all 50 states just yet—the chain is currently in 42 states, plus the District of Columbia—but it's surely on its way to national domination”

For the OP

Here Are the Most-Loved Trader Joe's Products of the Year, According to Customers https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/popular-ingredients/trader-joes-customer-choice-award

1 Favorite Overall: Mandarin Orange Chicken

Runners-Up: Everything But The Bagel Seasoning Blend; Cauliflower Gnocchi; Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups; Unexpected Cheddar.

2 Favorite Vegan/Vegetarian Item: Soy Chorizo

Runners-Up: Vegan Kale, Cashew & Basil Pesto; Cauliflower Gnocchi; Vegetable Fried Rice; Vegan Banana Bread With Walnuts.

3 Favorite Sweet Treat: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Runners-Up: Hold the Cone! Mini Ice Cream Cones; Sublime Ice Cream Sandwiches; O&H Danish Kringle; Brookie.

4 Favorite Cheese: Unexpected Cheddar

Runners Up: English Cheddar with Caramelized Onions; Wild Blueberry & Vanilla Chèvre; Creamy Toscano Soaked in Syrah; Baked Lemon Ricotta.

5 Favorite Beverage: Sparkling Black Tea with Peach Juice Beverage

Runners-Up: Sparkling Honeycrisp, Apple Juice Beverage, Non-Dairy Oat Beverages, Cold Brew Concentrate, Spiced Cider.

6 Favorite Snack: Salted Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets

Runners-Up: Organic Corn Chip Dippers & Organic Elote Corn Chip Dippers; Plantain Chips; Chili & Lime Rolled Corn Tortilla Chips; Bamba.

7 Favorite Produce: Teeny Tiny Avocados

Runners-Up: Bananas; Honeycrisp Apples; Organic Arugula; Broccoli & Kale Slaw Kit.

8 Favorite Entrée: Mandarin Orange Chicken

Runners-Up: Joe's Diner Mac 'n Cheese; Chicken Tikka Masala; Cauliflower Gnocchi; Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Butter & Sage.

9 Favorite in Home, Bath, and Beauty: Scented Candles

Runners Up: Grapefruit & Lemon Hand Sanitizer Spray; Ultra Moisturizing Hand Creams; Rose Water Facial Toner; Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Hair Mask.”

Edited by Arcadia
Large fonts
  • Like 2

I don’t understand the appeal of Trader Joe’s. They are always crazy busy with little parking and long check out lines at the one near us. I’ve been in a few times but I’m underwhelmed with the selection. I can get similar items at a regional grocery store we frequent that is much more convenient and more efficient. Trader Joe’s doesn’t seem like a full grocery store to me, so I’d have to go to our preferred grocery anyway. Now, those candy cane Oreo style cookies they have a Christmas are fabulous, but I’m not going to wait in a check out line for thirty minutes for cookies. I just don’t get it. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I just don’t get it. 

It's great for convenience foods with less additives than in the majority of brands in big grocery stores and organic items at low prices. It's much less expensive for us than buying similar items at the natural foods store. I didn't use to be able to do my full grocery shopping there, but I eventually reached the point that I can and do. We have produce delivered from a local farm delivery place, so it's okay that they don't have all the produce items I would want. I could make do with their produce if I needed to though, for sure. At this point, I don't know how to shop a large grocery store any more. They seem to me to be full of aisle after endless aisle of products, but nothing I want. I imagine if someone only buys staples at the store, TJs probably wouldn't work well.

• Like 8

My issue with Trader Joes is that they still don't let any shopping service in their stores. Like, hello?? What is this?? The 2000s?? Get with the program, TJs!! 

I think I was a toddler the first time I set foot in a TJs. And I'm old.

• Thanks 1

I'm extremely lucky that the nearest TJ's to me is less than 15 minutes away, has a huge parking lot, and isn't busy at all early in the morning. I usually get there when they open at 8, and there will only be a few other customers there, and usually no wait for a cashier. It's basically the only grocery store where I shop in person, and the only foods I can think of that I can't get there are a certain brand of cauliflower snacks (although TJ's kale chips and broccoli snacks are a pretty good substitute) and So Delicious nondairy ice cream, so I just get those delivered from Whole Foods. Things like paper towels, TP, detergent, etc., I get from Costco every few months. I love the fact that the selection there is small but really well-curated and I can get everything I need in a few minutes. I think I've only been in a regular chain grocery (Fred Meyer, which is part of Kroger) maybe 3 or 4 times in the 7 years we've lived here. To me the huge chains are just sensory overload, and so much of what's there barely qualifies as food. Around 80% of the products TJ's stocks is their own label, and they don't use any artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, and no GMOs, HFCS, MSG, or trans fats. They also donate 100% of usable food waste. Love love love TJs!

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm extremely lucky that the nearest TJ's to me is less than 15 minutes away, has a huge parking lot, and isn't busy at all early in the morning. I usually get there when they open at 8, and there will only be a few other customers there, and usually no wait for a cashier. It's basically the only grocery store where I shop in person, and the only foods I can think of that I can't get there are a certain brand of cauliflower snacks (although TJ's kale chips and broccoli snacks are a pretty good substitute) and So Delicious nondairy ice cream, so I just get those delivered from Whole Foods. Things like paper towels, TP, detergent, etc., I get from Costco every few months. I love the fact that the selection there is small but really well-curated and I can get everything I need in a few minutes. I think I've only been in a regular chain grocery (Fred Meyer, which is part of Kroger) maybe 3 or 4 times in the 7 years we've lived here. To me the huge chains are just sensory overload, and so much of what's there barely qualifies as food. Around 80% of the products TJ's stocks is their own label, and they don't use any artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, and no GMOs, HFCS, MSG, or trans fats. They also donate 100% of usable food waste. Love love love TJs!

We are basically shopping twins 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TechWife said:

I don’t understand the appeal of Trader Joe’s. They are always crazy busy with little parking and long check out lines at the one near us. I’ve been in a few times but I’m underwhelmed with the selection. I can get similar items at a regional grocery store we frequent that is much more convenient and more efficient. Trader Joe’s doesn’t seem like a full grocery store to me, so I’d have to go to our preferred grocery anyway. 

I don't understand either. We've had one here for several years. I went once. It wasn't busy at all, and it's in a large strip shopping center so parking wasn't a problem. But I walked around and left w/o buying a thing and haven't been back. I feel the same way about Aldi. Neither have any appeal at all to me. I'd certainly understand if someone lived in an area with limited shopping choices, but I've got plenty of much better stores here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't understand either. We've had one here for several years. I went once. It wasn't busy at all, and it's in a large strip shopping center so parking wasn't a problem. But I walked around and left w/o buying a thing and haven't been back. I feel the same way about Aldi. Neither have any appeal at all to me. I'd certainly understand if someone lived in an area with limited shopping choices, but I've got plenty of much better stores here.

Having that TJs in your local area changed my life. I come to visit my parents every month and the that TJ's had all the kosher and fun provisions I need so I only bring a bread from Boston my parents love.  Otherwise I'm shlepping all sorts of stuff. I introduced my parents to lots of fun stuff there and my mom loves going with me.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, TechWife said:

I don’t understand the appeal of Trader Joe’s. They are always crazy busy with little parking and long check out lines at the one near us. I’ve been in a few times but I’m underwhelmed with the selection. I can get similar items at a regional grocery store we frequent that is much more convenient and more efficient. Trader Joe’s doesn’t seem like a full grocery store to me, so I’d have to go to our preferred grocery anyway. Now, those candy cane Oreo style cookies they have a Christmas are fabulous, but I’m not going to wait in a check out line for thirty minutes for cookies. I just don’t get it. 

Ours has bad parking, but even when it’s packed, the lines are not long. Very fast checkers! It doesn’t replace my regular grocery, but has high quality things we don’t find elsewhere, the prices are reasonable for the quality (far lower than WF!) and the store is very small so quick in and out. Like Aldi, there are not 47 choices for ketchup, just one decision - yes or no.

TJ’s is fun.

Eta: There are three in my city, one of which is in an area I drive through several times a week.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

I live in what would be a TJs lover paradise. I have two within a 10 minute (city) drive, another two within 15 minutes and others within 30 minutes. During the worst of the lockdown I would drive out to the 30 minutes away one as parking was easy and there was hardly ever a line to get in.

Used to live an hour away from one in IN and I would drive in once a month with other city based errands and shop.

Edited by YaelAldrich
Errant apostrophe

Sometimes I stop at TJs just for tea and leave with a full bag of stuff.  It's worth the trip for me to buy Irish Breakfast Tea there.  Their brand is 1/4 the price of Twinings and just as good.  (I know there are much better teas out there, but we're feeding a habit here and I'm not messing with loose leaves first thing in the morning.) 160 tea bags lasts us about 5 weeks, so I probably shop there monthly.  Costco and Aldi are in the same shopping center, and it's about 4 miles from my house, so it's convenient for me.  A Lidl is now less than a mile from my house, so I've been going there too, but I haven't tried their tea yet.

Trader Joe's stores are generally small and efficient so it's easy to get in and out.  Even during the pandemic when there was a line to get in, they kept things moving along.  Only ONCE was it so packed before the holidays that I would describe it as a mob scene with lines going down the aisles.  I probably had to wait in line 15 minutes that day, but I was NOT leaving without my La Fondue.  They played YMCA  and everybody danced.  🤣

Here's a fun fact:  If you ask a store associate where something is, they are REQUIRED to stop what they're doing and walk you there.  I thought they were just being really nice, but I learned it was their policy, so now I try to do a much better job looking before I ask where something is. I like Trader Joe's but Aldi and Lidl have better bakeries.

ETA: Maryland has 7, but 5 of those are clustered down near D.C. I know WV has zero.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Corraleno said:

They also pay a living wage, provide health insurance, paid time off, a retirement plan, a store discount, and they promote from within. Employees actually like working at TJs and it shows.

• Like 17

I don’t do my regular grocery shopping at TJ’s, but it’s the BEST for frozen convenience foods (especially appetizers), stocking stuffers that aren’t candy (dried fruit and nuts, particularly), and unusual snack foods.  We also love the frozen macarons!

(In other words, it’s where I buy junk food and tell myself it’s healthy.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I can’t imagine just getting into a TJ in 2021. I think the first time I went to one was in 1998. Of course you may be half of my age and then that would make sense. 

What I’ve been looking for is the premix Mochi cake box without nuts.

This town is way behind but catching up fast.    We did get introduced to trader Joes when we lived bin Tucson in the 90bs\ early 2000.

I have 9 Trader Joe’s stores nearby, though none in my city. My nearest is less than 4 miles away. However my current favorite Trader Joe’s store is 15 miles away. My original favorite store had staff which were very nice and the store just feel more like a family run neighborhood store. Then their staff changed and while the staff is still very polite, it doesn’t have the same feeling/atmosphere anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

They also pay a living wage, provide health insurance, paid time off, a retirement plan, a store discount, and they promote from within. Employees actually like working at TJs and it shows.

This is a main reason I like shopping there. Also, they carry the "good" whipped cream in a can (Cabots). Before we had to go gluten free I was addicted to their gingerbread bars at the holidays. Real gingerbread taste, not overly sweet. And yeah, the frozen chicken and frozen microwavable rice was a fast easy dinner. And great cinnamon sugar! Big crystals. 

I don't go often, as the parking lot is TINY and requires 10 minutes of circling for a spot and stressed me out. But I did pay extra to order their pumpkin spice coffee from amazon - it is cofee with actual spices in it and bits of orange peel, etc. I love it as cold brew. And closer to Christmas I get the winter blend, again with actual spices in it. 

I like the tea tree oil bodywash (but be careful where you put it!) and the lavendar dryer sachets too. 

• Like 1

Now I have to go figure out which one this is 😆

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

I have 9 Trader Joe’s stores nearby, though none in my city. My nearest is less than 4 miles away. However my current favorite Trader Joe’s store is 15 miles away. My original favorite store had staff which were very nice and the store just feel more like a family run neighborhood store. Then their staff changed and while the staff is still very polite, it doesn’t have the same feeling/atmosphere anymore. 

In BC times I drove nearly 3 hours once every other month to go to TJs, World Market, Target, Ikea, etc. We would eat at all of our favorite chain restaurants too. We brought coolers and ice for the cold stuff. Good times. 

There isn’t a big selection of stores around here. Most of them sell things that are already expired or getting ready too. I did a Kroger order pick up today. The Chobani creamer expired September 11. The baby yogurt expired October 1. The beef was green. Yay. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

We might be shopping twins. I’ve been to Aldi exactly once. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KSera said:

It's great for convenience foods with less additives than in the majority of brands in big grocery stores and organic items at low prices. It's much less expensive for us than buying similar items at the natural foods store. I didn't use to be able to do my full grocery shopping there, but I eventually reached the point that I can and do. We have produce delivered from a local farm delivery place, so it's okay that they don't have all the produce items I would want. I could make do with their produce if I needed to though, for sure. At this point, I don't know how to shop a large grocery store any more. They seem to me to be full of aisle after endless aisle of products, but nothing I want. I imagine if someone only buys staples at the store, TJs probably wouldn't work well.

Maybe that’s why - we don’t buy much in the way of convenience foods. My dh enjoys cooking and nearly everything is from scratch. Convenience food for us is a bag of lettuce, salad dressing  or the occasional  box of Kraft Mac & cheese in the winter. We do some frozen veggies in the winter also. At our regular shopping we load up on staples - fresh veggies & fresh fruit, different flours, sugar, some vinegars & oils, limited meats, canned tomato products, some seasonings, a couple of different rices, healthy hot & cold cereals - stuff like that. We get some seasonings, vinegars & oils from specialty stores. I go to Costco & Target for paper & cleaning products. 

22 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Now I have to go figure out which one this is 😆

9th street, SF - nice staff but very cramped. We do a grab and pay whenever we go there. 
SSF/Daly City - easy to find parking, quite spacious, next to Costco. 
Stonestown Galleria, SF - my teens are amused that it’s underground. 
Hillsdale - friendly staff. We go there whenever we go to Barnes & Noble, LEGO store or Guitar Center.
Millbrae - easy to find parking. 
Menlo Park - hard to find parking. 
Town  & Country - easy to find parking next to entrance. 
Showers Dr - friendly staff. 
Sunnyvale - the one that moved house to the former Borders location. 
Coleman - friendly staff, parking nightmare usually. 
Milpitas/Great Mall - easy to find parking, spacious 

When we are in SoCal, the San Diego ones were nice too.

16 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

No trader Joe's with an hour of me, but there was one near me when I lived in Chicago. It was crowded, expensive, and felt a little snooty? It was in a snooty section of town, so maybe that's why I felt like that. 

Aldi was fine for staples like milk, eggs, sugar, flour, butter, etc. Produce and frozen foods were very hit or miss. We were very low on cash at that point, so the couple of bucks we saved at Aldi made the trip worth it. I kind of wish we had an Aldi where we live now. 

10 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I don’t do my regular grocery shopping at TJ’s, but it’s the BEST for frozen convenience foods (especially appetizers), stocking stuffers that aren’t candy (dried fruit and nuts, particularly), and unusual snack foods.  We also love the frozen macarons!

(In other words, it’s where I buy junk food and tell myself it’s healthy.)

This is similar to what I use it for when I go a few times per year. During our recent kitchen renovation it was nice to have some convenience foods on hand. Ditto for when we are hosting our neighborhood. Similar to what someone else posted above, mine is in a strip mall, so no parking issues and it’s never very crowded.

I do remember many years ago when it first opened, so many of my neighbors and coworkers were excited, some even took the day off work to go on opening day. I have to admit I was expecting something pretty different. I thought it would have far more healthy food and less processed stuff given the demographic that couldn’t wait for it to open.

17 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This is a main reason I like shopping there. Also, they carry the "good" whipped cream in a can (Cabots). Before we had to go gluten free I was addicted to their gingerbread bars at the holidays. Real gingerbread taste, not overly sweet. And yeah, the frozen chicken and frozen microwavable rice was a fast easy dinner. And great cinnamon sugar! Big crystals. 

I don't go often, as the parking lot is TINY and requires 10 minutes of circling for a spot and stressed me out. But I did pay extra to order their pumpkin spice coffee from amazon - it is cofee with actual spices in it and bits of orange peel, etc. I love it as cold brew. And closer to Christmas I get the winter blend, again with actual spices in it. 

I like the tea tree oil bodywash (but be careful where you put it!) and the lavendar dryer sachets too. 

YES, I've been buying the Pumpkin Spice coffee and Winter Blend Coffee for years.   They are the real deal!   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AnneGG said:

In BC times I drove nearly 3 hours once every other month to go to TJs, World Market, Target, Ikea, etc. We would eat at all of our favorite chain restaurants too. We brought coolers and ice for the cold stuff. Good times. 

There isn’t a big selection of stores around here. Most of them sell things that are already expired or getting ready too. I did a Kroger order pick up today. The Chobani creamer expired September 11. The baby yogurt expired October 1. The beef was green. Yay. 

So not just me having this issue with pick up/delivery? I had to throw away an entire thing of stew meat this week, have had half and half go bad in days, etc. 

17 hours ago, TechWife said:

Maybe that’s why - we don’t buy much in the way of convenience foods. My dh enjoys cooking and nearly everything is from scratch. Convenience food for us is a bag of lettuce, salad dressing  or the occasional  box of Kraft Mac & cheese in the winter. We do some frozen veggies in the winter also. At our regular shopping we load up on staples - fresh veggies & fresh fruit, different flours, sugar, some vinegars & oils, limited meats, canned tomato products, some seasonings, a couple of different rices, healthy hot & cold cereals - stuff like that. We get some seasonings, vinegars & oils from specialty stores. I go to Costco & Target for paper & cleaning products. 

Yeah, that's why. I will say, if you use say, cage free eggs, they are much cheaper there than anywhere else I've found. And their spice blends are great (but most are Frontier brand, not their own brand, so if you have access to those elsewhere then not worth the trip).  And they have neat cereals both hot and cold that change throughout the year. 

But mostly they are known for healthier convenience foods. So I'd grab several jars of their curry simmer sauces, some frozen rice (why doesn't anywhere else have frozen rice????? SO convenient!), freeze dried crunchy broccoli snacks, the greek yogurt artichoke kale dip (which I would then eat too much of and give myself a stomach ache...every time), jars of salsa (their "authentica" salsa is a favorite of both my sons), cheap corn chips, etc. 

9 hours ago, MissLemon said:

No trader Joe's with an hour of me, but there was one near me when I lived in Chicago. It was crowded, expensive, and felt a little snooty? It was in a snooty section of town, so maybe that's why I felt like that. 

Aldi was fine for staples like milk, eggs, sugar, flour, butter, etc. Produce and frozen foods were very hit or miss. We were very low on cash at that point, so the couple of bucks we saved at Aldi made the trip worth it. I kind of wish we had an Aldi where we live now. 

Regular items are cheaper at Aldi, for sure. But if you want say, cage free eggs or slightly higher end stuff it is cheaper at Trader Joes than most other places. 

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

YES, I've been buying the Pumpkin Spice coffee and Winter Blend Coffee for years.   They are the real deal!   

Oddly, I don't love the Pumpkin one hot, but it makes AMAZING cold brew!

• Like 1

We love Trader Joe's!!!   We have 2 very close to us and go at least once a week.   Some of our favorites are:   the wrap sandwiches in the pre-made section of the store,  the vegan Caesar salad dressing,  the hummus,  canned refried beans,  taco shells,  vegan caramelized onion dip,  chicken dog treats (only ingredient is chicken--that is hard to find!),  shelf stable almond milk,  shelf stable coconut milk,  peanut butter,  jams/jellies,  chocolate batons,  oatmeal,   honeycrisp apples, and ALL their produce!  Non food items we love:  hand soap,  dish soap, some of their candles (depends on the smell).   I am leaving out so many things but can't remember any of them at the moment.  They really are the best and our favorite food store.

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

I've pretty much given up sweets like this/candy but they look soooooooooooo good maybe I'll treat myself!  🙂  

Costco sells a version of these and they are SO Good.  Our grandkids are crazy for them and Dd rations them out- six a day max. 

Y'all aren't living if you don't buy their pumpkin ice cream and put a big dollop in your coffee. One season they sold out early and I was so scarred by this incident that I now purchase 4 containers at a time throughout the season so that I won't have to go cold turkey into the long winter.

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have one TJ about 10 minutes from me, but the parking is horrendous if you don't get there very early on the weekend. The other is almost 20 minutes from me but the parking is better and it's just a nicer store - wider aisles and much better layout. We just went today and stocked up on the shakshuka, which I'm totally addicted to. I bought a gf cauliflower pizza crust which I hope is good. We do a big homemade pizza night every 2nd Saturday and I'm tired of missing out or suffering when I give in. 😊 I also bought some PBJ bars and organic frozen broccoli florets. We purposely didn't get a cart this trip so we wouldn't buy a lot. 

On 10/7/2021 at 11:59 PM, kbutton said:

There seem to be only six in my entire state. One of the neighboring states has a whopping total of four. It's not ubiquitous. 

This. There are only 7 of them in Michigan all south of I-69 mostly along the I-94 corridor or close to it. So that isn't serving very many of the 9 million people in my state. I have been in exactly one, and that was when we were visiting one of our sons in Kalamazoo, at WMU. This was 2019 when it opened.

33 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Y'all aren't living if you don't buy their pumpkin ice cream and put a big dollop in your coffee. One season they sold out early and I was so scarred by this incident that I purchase 4 containers at a time throughout the season so that I won't have to go cold turkey into the long winter.

Haven't had the ice cream the store is 2.5 hours away but now I want to.  

My BFF is absolutely obsessed with the pumpkin spice tea and if I can get there in the fall I will buy as many can as possible and give them to her Christmas or Birthday presents.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TechWife said:

Us to. I keep very very little convenience food. Due to my son in law's food allergies, she has zero convenience food in the house. So it does change shopping habits. She doesn't really use much other than farmer's markets and misfits for produce, Kroger for some things, butcher shop/meat market. Occasionally, maybe once a quarter, she gets a few things from Whole Foods. 

For our area, I would like to see more variety and TJ could help. Walmart, one mom and two mom and pop groceries plus four Dollar Generals are all there is other than a meat market. That is for an entire county. Most certainly a TJ would be a huge improvement, however, I don't believe they would ever go into a county whose entire population only number 52,000. Dh and I use Mennonite owned Bulk Food grocery that is quite fantastic, but we travel across counties about 30 minutes each way to get it. We are near the eastern county line. The bulk of the population of our county is over an hour or more from it.

I am looking forward to the mountain house. Huntsville has so many options and continue to gain more, but we are just outside the metro area so we get our quiet, peaceful place without noise, hustle, bustle, and traffic. I will be quite happy to have Kroger and Whole Foods plus several ethnic markets. I will definitely drop into Trader Joe and check it out. Especially if they have good coffee and fair trade/ethical coffee practices. I am always on the lookout for coffee options!

We have a TJ's downtown (about 15 minutes for me).  I go about once a year.  I like their sea salt and their soy sauce.  Nothing else is worth the drive although occasionally I will pick things up on my once yearly trip.  Prices are VERY high.  I know everyone talks about great prices on nuts/dried fruit but we have several large stores that sell those items about half the cost of TJ's and those stores are only minutes from my house.  TJ's convenience food is good but not really much better than what the grocery store carries plus with a large family with big appetites, convenience food simply isn't in our budget.  Their cheese is outrageously expensive (but we have high quality cheese in just about every grocery store. It wasn't till we traveled out of state that we realized not everyone has 50-100 feet double sided aisles of cheese available).  I think the only reason TJ's survives is because it's one of the few areas to get groceries that it easily accessible to the college students.