Menu

my sister went to the ER - please pray

ktgrok

My sister, who recently had a breakthrough case of Covid which turned into bronchitis, is at the ER right now. She called my parents this morning..she was feeling very shaky and having trouble talking and said she feels like she had a stroke. My parents live 40 minutes to the east of her, and my Dad got in the car and started driving to her. My mom (former nurse) wanted to go but my Dad put his foot down. Mom has COPD and very llimited lung capaciy - she cannot be in an ER. Sister had the school nurse (sister is a high school principal) take her to the "mini ER" run by local hospital system. Mom called me crying, worried. 

I just got a call that Dad is there, saw my sister, said she doesn't seem like she had a stroke but very shaky. Vitals were good, they are going to examine and run tests. I'm hoping/praying she just is low blood sugar, or wacky electrolytes/dehydrated. She just finished a steroid burst, and between that and not eating because her sense of tastes is all messed up from Covid I'm thinking that seems likely. I bet since everything "tastes disgusting" she just isn't eating, looking at it as a good way to lose some weight, and crashed post steroids. (she was on prednisone, which can elevate blood sugar, so between not eating and going off it probably felt awful). 

Of course, I also worry about things like Addisons/Cushings after steroids...but I'm telling myself that is Zebras, not horses. And she's not coughing or having respiratory distress from what I'm hearing 4th hand, so hopefully nothing like blood clots in the lungs. 

Praying she just needs some IV dextrose and to monitor her blood sugar better or get some fluids or something. 

• Sad 53

Praying for her.  Please let us know what the cause is once they discover/resolve it.

You make some good points.  I think there should be a PSA for folks with health issues re how to eat etc. when recovering from Covid / treatments.

Just now, SKL said:

Praying for her.  Please let us know what the cause is once they discover/resolve it.

You make some good points.  I think there should be a PSA for folks with health issues re how to eat etc. when recovering from Covid / treatments.

Yup. And steroids make you insulin resistant. And she gained a lot of weight over Covid, so was already probably insulin resistant (runs in our family). Hoping it is just that. She has a history of crash diets, so I could see her not eating since hey, if it tastes bad it is a good time to lose weight. She's also on ADHD meds, which are stronger when you don't eat, in my experience, plus stress, etc. 

• Like 3

They are transferring her to the main hospital (wishe she'd gone there instead of mini Er) to do an MRI to check for stroke/clots. I THINK as a precaution. Hopefully. No lab results yet that I know of. UGH. 

My dad will wait until she is moved, then drive to pick up my mom and their dog, and take mom and dog back to my sister's house so she is closer. Mom wants to go see my sister, we will see. I keep offering to go stay with my sister while my dad drives to get my mom, and to relay info as sister was just given Ativan, but mom doesn't want ME getting sick by going. sigh. I told mom I'm fully vaccinated, was boostered a week ago (well, 6 days), had a good strong reaction to the vaccine each time (sister did not have side effects), and still have a lump from my booster, lol. And I have N95 (KN 94 or whatever) masks. And no lung issues! 

• Like 21

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

They are transferring her to the main hospital (wishe she'd gone there instead of mini Er) to do an MRI to check for stroke/clots. I THINK as a precaution. Hopefully. No lab results yet that I know of. UGH. 

My dad will wait until she is moved, then drive to pick up my mom and their dog, and take mom and dog back to my sister's house so she is closer. Mom wants to go see my sister, we will see. I keep offering to go stay with my sister while my dad drives to get my mom, and to relay info as sister was just given Ativan, but mom doesn't want ME getting sick by going. sigh. I told mom I'm fully vaccinated, was boostered a week ago (well, 6 days), had a good strong reaction to the vaccine each time (sister did not have side effects), and still have a lump from my booster, lol. And I have N95 (KN 94 or whatever) masks. And no lung issues! 

This is what my sister found out when she went to one of those standalone ERs -- they couldn't do the MRI and none of the hospitals were taking transfers. She said "Lesson learned. Next time go to a real ER if there is a possibility of stroke, heart attack, etc."

(It turned out hers WAS a stroke -- though she didn't realize it until almost a week later when those further tests could be done) and she's been trying to recover from it for -- like two months now. Of course it didn't help she got COVID-19 in the meantime.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Sad 11

Just now, vonfirmath said:

This is what my sister found out when she went to one of those standalone ERs -- they couldn't do the MRI and none of the hospitals were taking transfers. She said "Lesson learned. Next time go to a real ER if there is a possibility of stroke, heart attack, etc."

Yup. Those places are good for say, UTI or ear infection or stomach bug. Not this stuff. But no one asked me. 

This crap is why we are moving closer. If this happened a month from now I'd have been 10 minutes away and able to drive her to the hospital myself, etc. 

At least, God forbid, if she is having a stroke or is seriously impaired for a while, we will be nearby soon. 15 days until closing, God willing. (issues with paperwork in other thead - but I suppose prayers that we close on time so we can be there for her would be good too!)

• Like 16

Just now, ktgrok said:

Yup. Those places are good for say, UTI or ear infection or stomach bug. Not this stuff. But no one asked me. 

This crap is why we are moving closer. If this happened a month from now I'd have been 10 minutes away and able to drive her to the hospital myself, etc. 

At least, God forbid, if she is having a stroke or is seriously impaired for a while, we will be nearby soon. 15 days until closing, God willing. (issues with paperwork in other thead - but I suppose prayers that we close on time so we can be there for her would be good too!)

I'm glad you are moving closer!

I have the comfort my sister lives across the road from my parents -- they could have got her to the ER if she'd actually called them at the time. But she didn't realize there was a problem. she was talking to her husband on the phone and he realized she was talking nonsnse and got alarmed and called 911. The ambulance came but arrived at the same time as her husband and he decided to transport her himself.

Thanks, all. Dad is on his way to go get mom (40 minutes each way), and the school nurse who is also my sister's friend is staying with her at least until they get her transfered. Not sure yet which hospital and not sure if going by ambulance or if friend is driving her. 

• Like 13

Cat scan is clear, not sure on labwork, transfer won't happen for a few hours, and will be by ambulance. Mom and Dad want one of us to go stay at their house iwth their dog tonight, not sure how that will work but we will figure something out. 

• Like 15

I really wish they hadn't left their dog at home! They somehow thought my DS22 would pet sit, but forgot he has a full time job. One that is 90 minutes from their house. 

I can go, and take the youngest kid with me, but I don't want to be farther from my sister, plus have a kid with me so I can't drive right to the hospital if need be. 

• Sad 5

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I really wish they hadn't left their dog at home! They somehow thought my DS22 would pet sit, but forgot he has a full time job. One that is 90 minutes from their house. 

I can go, and take the youngest kid with me, but I don't want to be farther from my sister, plus have a kid with me so I can't drive right to the hospital if need be. 

Can you go get their dog and bring it back to your house?

40 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Can you go get their dog and bring it back to your house?

DH or I may do that, but I have a feeling that will stress my mom out, because her dog hasn't been around my dog, or big dogs in general, before. They would probably just have me bring it to them at my sister's house. They were originally planning to bring the dog with them, but then decided having two dogs plus my sister's kids would be too chaotic. I'm surprised my sister's kids are not going to stay with their dad. Shows you how connected they are or not with their dad. sigh. 

• Sad 8

She is on her way to other hospital. Unfortunately, not the one that is the better one. There are two stroke centers in Orlando, but they are sending her to a smaller regional one that is NOT a stroke center, and where a friend of mine, about my sister's age, died of a stroke 5 yrs ago because they initially misdiagnosed her. ARGH. And I didn't think of that or to ask my friend who works with stroke victims, until too late and she was on her way. At least we know they are doing an MRI, which is what my friend is saying is the most important thing. 

• Sad 12

So, my parents left the hospital to go stay with my sister's kids for a bit. I'm going to head over to the hospital as soon as the rain lets up a bit - right when I started getting dinner ready it came down like cats and dogs. (Florida rainstorms are impressive!) I'd rather not be driving in this across town, so am going to eat and then hope it slows down. 

She still has tremors/shaking and trouble speaking. As far as I can find out no one gave meds for a potential stroke and it is too late now. Negative CAT scan means no brain bleed at least, not sure if it is enough to rule out a tumor which is another potential cause, or say MS. Ugh. Also could be related to cmoing off medication, but I don't know that she HAS come off anything but the steroids. 

• Sad 19