Menu

12-15 year olds vaccine experiences

Katy

Can’t schedule here yet. Gov’t and pharmacies are waiting for tomorrow’s CDC approval.

I need to time the vax around finals and some other events, but planning for both my kids to get one shot before they leave for camp. Timing and location may not allow for two for Dd. Ds should be able to get two bc he’ll be back sooner and the pharmacies are vaccinating on weekends. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Gov’t and pharmacies are waiting for tomorrow’s CDC approval.

I've been looking, too.  I was hoping that the city would keep open the mass vaccination site downtown for a little while longer but it looks like they are going to go ahead and close it for first shots as of Friday.  I called the big hospital near my house (where both DH and I got vaccinated) and they wouldn't let me schedule DS15 -- who turns 16 in a few days -- until he actually turns 16, let alone DS13.  I did not try the pharmacies yet. 

• Like 1

CVS made a big announcement that they'll do the shots... after CDC recommends it.

Where's my rolling eye emoji?

Locally, the health dept has announced they will finally have Pfizer again (after only having Moderna & J&J for months) for the next three weeks. Walkins welcome on Wednesdays for Pfizer. They said absolutely nothing about the 12-15 yr olds. I wonder what they would do if some showed up tomorrow....

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

I've been looking, too.  I was hoping that the city would keep open the mass vaccination site downtown for a little while longer but it looks like they are going to go ahead and close it for first shots as of Friday.  I called the big hospital near my house (where both DH and I got vaccinated) and they wouldn't let me schedule DS15 -- who turns 16 in a few days -- until he actually turns 16, let alone DS13.  I did not try the pharmacies yet. 

Sad that the big site is closing due to lack of demand when our city looks to top out at about 40-45% vax rate for adults. On the other hand, there is always a steady line for the vax at the pharmacies in my neighborhood.

With the 12-15 approved, I think there is a good chance that Ds’ tiny middle school will be 100% vaxed in the fall and so be free of many restrictions. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maize said:

The vote is supposed to be held between 2:45 and 3:30 according to the CDC meeting agenda (I'm assuming that is Eastern Time).

Screenshot_20210512-093118.png

Thanks for posting this!  I want to get my 12 and 14 yo vaccinated this evening if possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Sad that the big site is closing due to lack of demand when our city looks to top out at about 40-45% vax rate for adults. On the other hand, there is always a steady line for the vax at the pharmacies in my neighborhood.

With the 12-15 approved, I think there is a good chance that Ds’ tiny middle school will be 100% vaxed in the fall and so be free of many restrictions. 

That would be amazing! I am glad DS's college is requiring it. They will almost be back to normal this way.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, elroisees said:

Dd13 is getting her vaccine today!! She's excited. I'm raising a very science-positive nerd, apparently. 🙂

I told my 13 and 15 year olds yesterday that they might be able to get vaccinated tomorrow and they were excited.

• Like 2

I'm driving myself bananas checking for updates on CDC recommendations and subsequent openings to register dd15. Off to do some errands in an attempt to salvage the afternoon and my mental health!

Edited by Acadie

Email came in at 3. Ds scheduled for tomorrow morning!

Nothing about ID, maybe because he’s a registered patient with this particular health care system. It will be about 45m away. Moderna has been the primary supply around here the whole time, so it wasn’t a big surprise.

He is excited and scared!

• Like 5

DD15 is scheduled for Friday! I could have chosen today or tomorrow, but I thought it best to have it on the weekend. She's very excited. She is SOOOOOO ready to socialize with her friends. Even though she has been in school in person all year, she's been taking the social restrictions hard.

• Like 5

I’ve been trying everywhere all day, and I’ve only found two portals open for 12 to 15--year-olds nearby, and neither has appointments left this week. I did end up finding one this week by driving into the nearest big city. I had hoped to avoid that. Still, it’s good. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, purpleowl said:

Our pediatrician's office is starting to schedule existing patients for covid vaccines! I left a message to get DD#1 on the schedule.

Quoting myself to say I got DD a spot at CVS for tomorrow, so we'll be doing that instead of the ped's office. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Checked checked out insurance (Kaiser) and they are saying they are waiting on CDC before schedule any appointments.

If you don’t mind driving northwards or eastwards/northeast. 

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
“The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine has been authorized for emergency use to ages 12+ and is now being offered in select CVS stores.”

• Like 1

My 15yo has an appointment tomorrow at CVS.  We have to drive an hour to get it, just as we did for those of us 16+, but it is so worth it!  He’ll be able to attend the end of year homeschool dance and finally spend time with his friends for the first time in a year.  Happy tears! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

That would be amazing! I am glad DS's college is requiring it. They will almost be back to normal this way.

Well, his school has 25 kids and 5 teachers. Next year, about 40 students. Some are siblings, so not that many to be vaccinated. 

On 5/3/2021 at 8:48 AM, Syllieann said:

I haven't seen it yet, but they only enrolled about 2200 kids, presumably half are placebo.  Hopefully they will separate the subgroup out by age in vaers.

That's what I heard.  And the risk for this age isn't very high without it.  I'd want to wait longer.

Guess my daughter is the first one here to get her vaccine!  My vaccine angel got her an appointment tonight at 8:30pm at Walgreens at 7:49pm.  We hauled tushy to get there.  

We got there and the pharmacist told us (and two other eager beaver parents with 15 year olds) she didn't know she could do the vaccination.  She called management while the White father next to me called corporate and my vaccine angel called another pharmacy.  After about 15 minutes both my friend and the pharmacist got the go ahead.  We were third in line!  

All done and good to go!

• Like 19

My girls are scheduled for dose 1 tomorrow afternoon.  Walgreens. 

Here's what they say about ID:

Please bring the following to your appointment:

• This confirmation email.
  • Your state ID/valid driver's license or other government-issued ID.
  • Your medical and/or pharmacy benefit insurance card or Medicare card (if applicable).
  • Patients that are unable or unwilling to provide a valid government issued ID card will not be turned away from receiving the vaccine.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

DS13 just came into my room.  He went to bed an hour and a half ago but can't sleep.  "I'm too excited about getting my vaccine!"

My kids have coped remarkably well with isolation, and it is possible that I have underestimated just how tired they are of it all.

• Like 14

7 hours ago, Storygirl said:

Who would ever have thought that kids could be so excited about getting a shot!!!

My extremely needle-phobic 14 year old is practically jumping up and down he’s so excited.  This is the kid that, last time he was due for a shot, I called the doctors office in advance to have the nurse waiting to ambush him with the needle as soon as we checked in so he wouldn’t have time to work himself into an anxious mess. 

• Like 12

My 14 yo has an appointment tomorrow; unfortunately, by the time I got her registered, Friday appointments were gone. Therefore, the 15 yo's appointment is Saturday.

They both were dancing around the house after I got their appointments set up - they're so ready to get back into the world. 

We all will be fully vaccinated by mid-June! DH and I both are as of this week, and DD19 got her first shot last week.  

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Does someone want to start a 12-15  Pfizer vaccine experience thread or keep it in this one?

It’s fine to keep it in this one.  I’ll change the thread title in a minute. I have a kid asking for help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

DS13 just came into my room.  He went to bed an hour and a half ago but can't sleep.  "I'm too excited about getting my vaccine!"

My kids have coped remarkably well with isolation, and it is possible that I have underestimated just how tired they are of it all.

Yesterday our governor announced that health orders will expire on June 2.  Both of my kids were concerned that that is too early.  I was surprised that even my youngest, who is kind of an anti, had this reaction.  She also stated that she is going to continue wearing masks when in groups until she personally feels it's safe.  (I explained that while the government mandate will end, that doesn't mean people and organizations can't continue their safety protocols.)

As for the vax, as expected, I had two very different reactions when I told them this morning that they are getting it after school.  Kid1 loves needles (yes I know that is odd) and is OCD about germs, so she said "yay."  Kid2 went on an "I hate the world" rant.  But whether she admits it or not, she knows it's best to get it over with.

• Like 9

• Katy changed the title to 12-15 year olds vaccine experiences (formerly approved)

Dd15 has an appointment Saturday morning at a hospital on the other side of the city.

At first I was disappointed I couldn't find an opening at CVS closer to home, but now I'm glad it worked out this way. She's my most sensitive kid and had an unexplained anaphylactic reaction last summer, so it's reassuring that we'll be at the hospital.

And we can stop at the Middle Eastern bakery for spinach and meat pies on the way home 😁

• Like 7