Menu

12-15 year olds vaccine experiences

Katy

• Katy changed the title to 12-15 year olds vaccine experiences
35 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Appointments for this afternoon.  I could not get two same time appointments, so we'll be hanging out at Walgreens for an hour plus.  

Hopefully they will let them both go at the first appointment time.  When my Dh and I got ours we had appointment times that were an hour apart and they let us go together.  That was CVS, but I can’t imagine they’ll make you wait at Walgreens as long as they don’t have seriously long lines.  

I managed to find a Walgreens appointment for DS15 only 20 minutes from home, so he got his first shot an hour ago!  Glad to not have to drive an hour like we planned.  It was weird, though.  This was the bougie area and there wasn’t a single other person there for a vaccine!  

Edited by *Jessica*
Grammar
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

It was weird, though.  This was the bougie area and there wasn’t a single other person there for a vaccine!  

If my kids went to public school I would probably wait until school was out before getting them the vaccine just in case they had side effects.  I wouldn’t want them to miss days when I could just wait 2 weeks and do it all over the summer.  

Done!  DS13 gets anxious about needles but he did fine, and DS15 said he barely felt it.  We were at the children's hospital and so everyone there is clearly very used to treating kids. Finding a parking spot was by far the most difficult part of the experience.

DS15 saw two friends in the waiting area.  They hadn't seen each other in person in over a year, and between the masks and everyone having grown so much, none of them were quite sure at first that they recognized the others. 

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 13

Just now, HeartString said:

If my kids went to public school I would probably wait until school was out before getting them the vaccine just in case they had side effects.  I wouldn’t want them to miss days when I could just wait 2 weeks and do it all over the summer.  

I suppose that makes sense, but school isn’t out in NY until June 23, so it’s much more than 2 weeks to wait!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherry in OH said:

Appointments for this afternoon.  I could not get two same time appointments, so we'll be hanging out at Walgreens for an hour plus.  

Definitely ask if they will do both at the same time.

• Like 1

Took DS to the same mass vax clinic as DD today. They said it’s closing next week so we made an appt at a second location for dose #2. There was a little hiccup b/c they needed a civilian to administer the dose. The national guard isn’t authorized to give them to the under 16 set yet.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

This approval will increase vaccination rates for a bit, I think. We'd slowed down because we'd gotten down to hesitant people, but there are quite a few parents who've been ready to vaccinate. 

I think it will help, but I also saw a graph recently that said overall vaccinations were picking up a little bit after recent declines, so it’s all hopeful. 

1 hour ago, HeartString said:

Yes, this is a consideration. 20% fever with second shot, less than that with first but still significant, don’t want symptoms going into final exams with grades at stake.

• Like 3

My daughter wanted the shot at the first opportunity because her school (and their covid committee -they didn't ask my husband?!) planned a overnight get away to Cape Cod for the school (50 girls and some faculty). Indoor water park, eating and singing together. Many girls don't wear masks correctly.  My daughter plans to bunk with two other former homeschoolers who are covid conscious (and introverts). But she'll be two weeks after her first vaccination and that gives her a good level of protection (obviously less than post two weeks after the second). She'll get tested a couple of times post get away.

She's so excited to move from the Totobobo Pro masks (N99) to a dance mask. And she will be more valuable to certain families who have used her babysitting services during the pandemic.

• Like 14

DH took DS15 to get his shot at the drive-thru pod this morning. It was not busy at all, and they were in and out in half an hour, including the 15 minute wait. Hopefully it will be more busy after school today! They take walk-ins (well, drive-ins I guess, LOL), so I imagine some people will be heading over there right after school. The ones who want it are eager to get it. 

DS is so relieved, as the youngest in our family and the only one not yet vaccinated. 

• Like 8

I went to one of our County operated vaccine drive up sites today - I was there for a Covid test rather than vaccine - but when preregistering I saw it said 12 and up could get vaccinated. Didn't seem to have any wait time, but not sure if they are by appointment or just drive up whenever. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

DH took DS15 to get his shot at the drive-thru pod this morning. It was not busy at all, and they were in and out in half an hour, including the 15 minute wait. Hopefully it will be more busy after school today! They take walk-ins (well, drive-ins I guess, LOL), so I imagine some people will be heading over there right after school. The ones who want it are eager to get it. 

DS is so relieved, as the youngest in our family and the only one not yet vaccinated. 

Funny, my DS was actually the most reluctant of all of us but when I tell you he was born a skeptic...whoooo boy...that’s an understatement. He asked lots of questions last week about efficacy (how does it work, what does it protect me from, how long does the protection last, what side effects can I expect). He is currently experiencing a sore arm (reported being uncomfy when lifting his arm), same as everyone else in the house, and is now taking a nap. ☺️ It was kinda funny taking him in tho. The workers Insisted on documentation of his age and a photo ID for me and him (which we do have but that’s not typical for kids his age). I brought his BC and military ID. They thought he was too old to be 13. He only looks 13 next to DH, I guess.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 13

There was a steady stream of cars at the drive through clinic we went to; they are super efficient and we were in and out quickly but they said this is the most people they have had in a couple of weeks at least.

There are a lot of vaccine hesitant folks around here so I found it encouraging that there are at least a fair number of families eager to get shots for their kids.

Edited by maize
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

They thought he was too old to be 13. He only looks 13 next to DH, I guess.

Haha!  I took my 15yo’s birth certificate just in case, but they didn’t need it.  On the way in I asked him to grab it from the backseat where I had set it and he’s like, “Mom, do you really think they’re going to look at me and think I’m under 12?”  He’s at least 6’2” and has sideburns that are obvious even when masked.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Funny, my DS was actually the most reluctant of all of us but when I tell you he was born a skeptic...whoooo boy...that’s an understatement. He asked lots of questions last week about efficacy (how does it work, what does it protect me from, how long does the protection last, what side effects can I expect). He is currently experiencing a sore arm (reported being uncomfy when lifting his arm), same as everyone else in the house, and is now taking a nap. ☺️ It was kinda funny taking him in tho. The workers Insisted on documentation of his age and a photo ID for me and him (which we do have but that’s not typical for kids his age). I brought his BC and military ID. They thought he was too old to be 13. He only looks 13 next to DH, I guess.

The irony of this kid... He has severe anxiety, but luckily he's more anxious about getting COVID (and maybe long COVID) or spreading COVID to someone else than he is about the vaccine. All he needs to know is that I'm OK with the vaccine and that the rest of us have gotten it and been ok.

DH took DS's birth certificate and military ID too, since that's all he has, but apparently they didn't really care that much. LOL

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

Haha!  I took my 15yo’s birth certificate just in case, but they didn’t need it.  On the way in I asked him to grab it from the backseat where I had set it and he’s like, “Mom, do you really think they’re going to look at me and think I’m under 12?”  He’s at least 6’2” and has sideburns that are obvious even when masked.  

Same, kiddo is obviously not under 12, at the very least!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maize said:

There was a steady stream of cars at the drive through clinic we went to; they are super efficient and we were in and out quickly but they said this is the most people they have had in a couple of weeks at least.

There are a lot of vaccine hesitant folks around here so I found it encouraging that there are at least a fair number of families eager to get shots for their kids.

It makes sense: we’re now again using the families that aren’t hesitant.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

Same here! My 13yo is 5’8” and HAIRY!! Like, he could grow the kind of scraggly, struggle beard my DH had at 18. I think it’s the disconnect between what he looks like and his DOB.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5

We decided at the last minute to go to a walk-in clinic today for my little kids (12yo twins).  

It went very smoothly!  

I got overwhelmed trying to figure out where to sign-up so the walk-in seemed like the best thing to do.  It ended up being only a 20-minute drive.  

It was not very busy, and I think we were among people getting second doses.  

We have an automatic appointment for June 10th, because they do this big to-do once a month, but we can make a 2nd Pfizer appointment anywhere from June 3rd.  

I think the 10th will work well for us.

I am looking forward to going to the movies!

And they are already signed up for church camp, so I am glad it has worked out that they could be vaccinated before they go!

• Like 11

DD did great! Counting down the days until two-weeks-past-her-second-shot. 🙂

She said it felt a little sharper than someone poking her with a fingernail. Not bad at all. She was very nervous right before, but I am super proud of how she handled it and her good attitude. ❤️

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 11

Kiddo was very anxious before his shot. We had a loooong convo on mRNA and how the vaccine worked. He actually cried for a long while last night 😞 I think it was all the stress and anxiety of the past year+ bubbling up. 

Went in today, and after the tech gave the shot, kiddo said "That's it? That wasn't so bad!"

Hopefully this will help him feel less anxious going forward. ❤️

• Like 9

Two teens vaccinated this afternoon. Crossing fingers they can attend school tomorrow. I will feel guilty if an absence affects last week of ps grading period. However, they will be nearly fully vaccinated to take along for dh’s business trip.

• Like 4

DS is doing well so far.  I am keeping a close eye on him because he tends to have delayed reactions.  He seems happy to have the shot, but is still having anxiety about going out anywhere even after he is fully vaxed.  Hopefully, he will feel better about things after his next shot.

• Like 4

Just now, Loowit said:

DS is doing well so far.  I am keeping a close eye on him because he tends to have delayed reactions.  He seems happy to have the shot, but is still having anxiety about going out anywhere even after he is fully vaxed.  Hopefully, he will feel better about things after his next shot.

Mine has expressed similar anxiety. I think it's just going to take time and encouragement. ❤️

• Like 4

15 yods and 13yods received theirs an hour ago.  15yo did fine.  13yo was very nervous and had to put his head down between his knees because he thought he was going to faint after the shot but is fine now.  This is a known reaction for him and wasn't a surprise.

• Like 10

I was able to make appointments for my 12yo and 14yo on Saturday at the town 45min away, on a day we were going to be there anyway, instead of waiting for when we were going to be in bigger town 70 miles away (in a month) or make a special trip there (like dh and I did).  They are nervous but determined, because they want the benefits of being vaccinated.

Also, today was the day of my second shot (Moderna). Unlike the other times, we were able to combine our regular stocking-up trip with it; for my first shot, we ended up going less than a week after we'd done our big stock-up trip <doh>.

• Like 7

My 15 yr old got hers today.  She had me checking every night for the appointments to open. They did yesterday, and we scheduled it for today.  She has not had any reaction but a little bit of soreness in her arm. Now she is counting the days to her 2nd.

• Like 8

DD#1 got hers a couple of hours ago. I don't know if every CVS is like this, but it was not a very efficiently run site - we got there about ten minutes before her appointment time but she wasn't called back until about 45 minutes after appt time, so we were in line for 55 minutes. They said it was appointments only, so I'm thinking it wasn't planned very well.

At any rate, she did get that first dose, so hooray! She's not reporting any new super powers yet (or other side effects - her arm doesn't even hurt at this point, 2 hrs post shot), but we're keeping an eye out. 😉

• Like 9

4 hours ago, StillJessica said:

I'm taking my 14 yo's birth cert tomorrow because she is a super petite 4'8". She is often mistaken for being about 9 yo. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

DD#1 got hers a couple of hours ago. I don't know if every CVS is like this, but it was not a very efficiently run site - we got there about ten minutes before her appointment time but she wasn't called back until about 45 minutes after appt time, so we were in line for 55 minutes. They said it was appointments only, so I'm thinking it wasn't planned very well.

At any rate, she did get that first dose, so hooray! She's not reporting any new super powers yet (or other side effects - her arm doesn't even hurt at this point, 2 hrs post shot), but we're keeping an eye out. 😉

My DH and I as well as my 17yo and both of my grandparents all had ours at CVS (two separate locations and times) and they were incredibly efficient.  We waited today at Walgreens for my 15yo for about 20 minutes past appointment time even though there was nobody else there for vaccines.  It’s probably just dependent on location.  I’m sorry you had to wait so long! 

• Like 3

Dd13 got hers yesterday afternoon! She was so excited. The national guard medic administered it at our county's main drive up location. They've made it so easy here!

She had a sore arm this morning, but she went to karate (masked and distanced) this evening. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, StillJessica said:

My DH and I as well as my 17yo and both of my grandparents all had ours at CVS (two separate locations and times) and they were incredibly efficient.  We waited today at Walgreens for my 15yo for about 20 minutes past appointment time even though there was nobody else there for vaccines.  It’s probably just dependent on location.  I’m sorry you had to wait so long! 

I'm glad to hear it's not a chain-wide problem! DH and I had our vaccines at Publix, and it was super efficient there, so this experience at CVS was quite surprising. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

I'm glad to hear it's not a chain-wide problem! DH and I had our vaccines at Publix, and it was super efficient there, so this experience at CVS was quite surprising. 

I got the shots at two different CVS locations and both times were very efficient and easy. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

My 12 year old has a sore arm, but was perky and ready to go to school this morning. I expected her to feel tired, since she knew both me and my husband did, and I was prepared to let her stay home. But she cheerfully got ready!  I had her do some mild weight lifting in her sore arm - I've heard it helps. 

• Like 7